New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Pink's Wandering Goblins

Oradell waits for a translation, but judging by the farmers expressions and gestures, he assumes he is talking about the dogs. He tells Soth "Tell these farmers that we were defending ourselves from the dogs because we didn't know who you were. For all we know, they could have been Hobgoblin War Dogs, trained to rip and tear at our fragile Goblin flesh. Also, ask them if anyy of them can speak Orc" He then walks over to Krulsch, hands behind is head to show he means no harm, and rummages through Krulsch's armor. He asks his companions "Do any of you want his Short Sword or Drow Scorpion Chain? Or even some studded leather armor? The everburning torch is useless, as we have Darkvision, so lets give them that. We can also give the farmers his bedroll. Keeping the rations and waterskin would be a smart move indeed, and we can also give them Krulsch's seven gold coins and nine silver coins. The Platinum coins should be kept, though." He waits for responses before handing the stuff over.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

(OOC: Sorry for the long absence, folks. Finals and such. I'm back now, though.)

Gan

Gan crosses his arms and glowers at everyone equally, a neat trick considering some are situated directly behind him. He has no weapon to divest himself of, so he's spared the choice of whether he needs to disarm before these farmers.

Gan can't seem to contain himself any more. "'Proper' Common, he says! I speak your language, human. Are you educated enough to speak mine?" He is actually interested in the answer; having a language the humans cannot speak might prove useful.

He speaks in Goblin: "Are we really considering paying these men with the gear of our slain comrade - the goblin they just killed? Over some dogs? Just because they have the edge in firepower is no reason to roll over and beg. I bet I could go over there and take his magic stick away before he kills me with it."
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-05-16 at 11:07 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93

At the outburst Gan, Thomas draws his sword and speaks to his father in some tongue that seems somewhat rough. There is a motion to the gun lying on the ground.

Father McCready respond with some sharp words in the strange tongue, before looking at Gan appraisingly, then addressing Soth. and in common saying, "I've let ya step onto my land, laid down my weapon, given you my name. Now, I can understand that you may be upset about my dogs chasing you off my land like trespassers and fighting you when you stuck around like raiders and thieves. However I don't think it's too much to ask for a little civility, being that I'm not trying to get my investment back by shooting first, looting later, and not giving you a fair chance to 'splain yourselves. It's jus' not my way. Now, are you going to be in good faith with me here? Because if you and your group are divided in opinion, I'm either going to ask that you restrain him yourself, or that you pick up your weapons so that this is settled. I will be warning you that as we speak, our wives are heading to the village and soon enough there'll be other officers like my boy Thomas here heading up to see what's what."
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Gan

- OOC: I'm assuming Soth and Oradell want to keep negotiating, so I'm taking the liberty of shutting myself up so we can keep moving right along . Though... do we actually have 750 gold on us to give this mook? -

Gan can practically feel his head trying to explode under the weight of unfriendly stares from both human and goblin. He unfolds his arms in order to wave airily at the upset farmers, doing his best to wordlessly convey his utter lack of fear at the thought of more of these provincial 'officers' gathering. "Yeah, yeah, civility, dealing in good faith, whatever," he grumbles, but subsides into silence once more, allowing Soth to take the lead.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

Flumph

OOC: Hooray for my backstory! No we don't have that much gold. Kruslch has 7 gold and 9 silver. At the price of what this guy might be asking, we are going to need Gilbness or Glibness or w/e it is called to make him think that the dogs are just sleeping.

As Oradell cranes his head to listen, he recognizes the sound. The farmers are speaking Orc. Oradell listens to one of them telling the man with the Bang Tube "to just shoot them" Muttering in Goblin "We are doomed." Oradell says in Orc "We will finish the transaction in a couple of minutes. I have to ask my comrades what they want." to the farmers, and walks over to Gan. In Goblin he whispers "One of the farmers is trying to convince his daddy to shoot us. You were right! These humans are no good. . . . toadstools! The old man will listen to reason, but if his son takes the gun, we are done for. But whatever you do, don't say anything about it out loud. Remember, that thing killed Krulsch, and can kill us as well." Oradell then thinks about a revenge plan. He makes a spot check to find trees.

(1d20-1)[9] - (Spot)
    Last edited by OOTS_Rules 2; 2008-05-17 at 06:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Gan

He replies softly in Goblin, "Unbelievable! But thank you for the warning. We will have to be ready to take action instantly if our mediator can't convince the old one."

(OOC: How far away from the humans are we? If they're farther than 60 feet, Gan will spread his hands wide to indicate he is unarmed and unarmored, and move forward until they can have a comfortable talk... within charging range. You know, if negotiations break down due to the fact that he's demanding 750g and we have about 7.)

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Flumph

(We have 2 Platinum, but I will give my left leg before losing such valuable resources)

Oradell says "Welcome." He continues to look for a tree, as trees are essential to his plan.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

(I've actually got ~100 gp, but let's talk to them first. Also I'm definately not going to try the negotiations myself. Darn negative charisma and no ranks in diplomacy)

Skeesky participates in the glaring at Gan. He also listens in on Oradell's comments about the farmers talking. He walks forward next to Gan, partly for a show of solidarity and partly to smack him in the head if he mouths off again.

"I believe we have our disagreement settled. We're ready to talk now."

9. - Top - End - #99

((Roughly I believe I said negotiations are about 10-15 feet away right now. However nobody is flatfooted right now if you guys suddenly start combat up again (Though I might have inits rerolled at this point). And you guys can have your maneuvers by now I think.))

Oradell can spot trees in the distance, to where the farmhouse is located. However these are a fair distance away and the farmer and his sons stand in between the goblins and the trees right now.

Both the Farmer and his soldier sons seem again, taken back when one of the Goblins speak orcish. The lack of recognition from Harry however reveals that he probably doesn't speak Orc.

Peter, after the situation seems defused, let's a grin show before fading back into seriousness. "Alright then. Now, I won't lie but the breeding pair of those dogs cost a fair bit of gold, and I spent a lot of time training them as well. Seeing as you were a bit unawares about what's the proper way to approach a farmhouse round these parts, I'm only going to ask for the money for another breeding pair. It's still quite a bit at 300 pieces of gold, assuming I can get a good deal. Now I'm asking you, do you have that much amongst you? Honestly please."
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

"If you're willing to accept items of equivolent value, we could easily pull enough together from Krulsch's gear... Although I have been wondering if there's a particular reason you had guard dogs to begin with. Three hundred gold is a massive investment for rural humans, so there must be some threat you're trying to dissuade." Soth perks a brow at the last word for emphasis. The goblins native to the keep had been anticipating hobgoblins. If they were nearby, they might be able to- restrain your ambition, Soth. Wars and alliances surely can't be made by human farmhands and goblin misfits, can they?

11. - Top - End - #101

"I wouldn't call it massive, but it is a fair bit of gold, otherwise we wouldn't be having this talk. But dogs are a good investment. Faithful, easy to train, can give you fair warning of intruders too. Afterall, we're a farm in the countryside, who knows what might stumble upon our way. The Rural guard helps but even they can only do patrols so often for us farmers." He says in explanation, with a smile appearing a bit more on his looks.

"I'd be willing to take a look at what you have to offer, but I make no promises. If I can use it readily or sell it easily then we might have a deal."

OOC: This is now his speech color.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth nods, then switches to Goblin to address Oradell. "Bring Krulsch's body over so they can look for valuables. Let's see if we can guilt them into offering us a job to work off the debt. Oradell's bringing the body over for you to look at. ...So, what sort of stuff did the dogs usually guard against?"

13. - Top - End - #103

Flumph

Oradell brings the body over, upset that his friend had to die such a dishonorable way.

14. - Top - End - #104

"How close is the nearest large human settlement? I hope you aren't paying much tribute for the lack of guarding you're receiving." comments Skeesky, trying to keep his tone as neutral as possible.

Skeesky takes another look at the group of humans as he moves closer with Gan and Soth.

Spot
    (1d20+4)[10]

15. - Top - End - #105

"The dogs, well, anything unusual I suppose. Orcs more likely than not, some tribes prefer raiding to trading. They've also chased out a wolf or two in the past, and they actual brought down a boar once. Mighty fine eating that night." Peter McCready continues to the one of two goblins whose name he still hasn't heard.

Thomas, the warrior, is the one to step forward to examine the body brought forward ((If you're trained you may try a sleight of hand to take any of Krulch's items off his body unnoticed before it's examined. Otherwise I am assuming everything is still on him.))

Speaking to the other goblin whose name he doesn't know, he responds, "Lately these years, farmers don't pay tribute. It's all they can do to keep us in the land really, what with the continual Hobgoblin sieges on the capital. We're located quite away from any large centre to tell the truth, and it works well because the hobgobs mostly attack straight to the capital and remain in the surrounding land. Out of the way as we are, we don't have to worry about any war threat from them at least. The Farm guard is to make sure we're not defenseless. Sure, the occasional farm might be destroyed, but the guard soon discovers it and hunts down the threat."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Skeesky takes a moment to think about the information he's received. He'd rather not stick around these humans longer than necessary, but if the humans are fighting the hobgoblins too it would be a poor first meeting that ended in slaughter. Slaughter rarely leads to working together against a common foe.

"Could you be persuaded to accept less payment for the dogs if we stayed for a time and dealt with the 'anything unusual' that your unfortunately deceased dogs won't be protecting you from? Or perhaps we could 'encourage' the more warlike Orc tribes around here that it is in their best interest to trade instead of raid?

17. - Top - End - #107

"Well...Funny you should mention that." Peter begins, before his son interrupts him.

"Not much here Pa. Some coins, might be able to sell the sword and armor to a halfling or gnome trader, but they're only average make. I have no idea what this chain is supposed to be but it's hardly long enough or strong looking enough to be of any use. Best thing here is this light source, but even that isn't going to cover costs."
    Thomas says after examining the corpse, before standing up and dusting his hands on his side.

"Well if they can't pay us with what they have...I'm thinking, you were saying you needed more men to take care of that little problem in the north caves right? Have them help out and I'll take their wages and we'll be all settled I think."
    He says with a smile.

"Wait...You want me to...They're goblins for the love of..." He stops himself and looks over the four of you carefully.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth nodded, noticing the opportunity. "Yes, we're goblins. I assume this is a concern because your adversary is a force of hobgoblins involved in your war. If that's the case, it's an opponent that often oppresses our race that we speak the language needed to interrogate prisoners. I believe that an accord to help your people kill nongoblin goblinoids would be a mutually beneficial arrangement." Soth then addresses Oradell in Goblin. "It looks like we'll be paying the debt with mercenary work against one of the groups that's been muscling the hold."

[roll=Diplomacy?]1d20+4[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database

19. - Top - End - #109

Flumph

Oradell grumbles a little, but agrees. He says "Its better than working for them"

20. - Top - End - #110

Speaking in Goblin, Skeesky adds his thoughts.

"It won't be for long Oradell. Once we pay our debts we don't ever have to set foot in this area again if we don't wish to."

(In Common)
    "What is in these northern caves that's such a problem?" Skeesky decides to let Soth's silver tongue take care of Thomas's doubts instead of adding his own arguments to the mix.

21. - Top - End - #111

"Alright alright, you're not hobgoblins nor are you in anyway allied with them. I'll take your word for it since my father seems so intent on vouching for you instead of having you rot in the town's cells. However, like we said, the hobgoblins don't bother us up here." He says with a bit of a harried look to Soth before turning to Oradell. "What we currently have problems with is a family of Ogres that's moved into the area. While they haven't hurt anyone yet they've caused some considerable damage to farm buildings and taken livestock. An attempt to see if they were willing to talk proved...ineffective. So we are forced to try and route them out of the cave they inhabit, yet the guard is stretched with patrols as is. Do you feel up to it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth smirks and nods, glancing over his shoulder at Oradell. "Ogre bash. Sound fun?"

23. - Top - End - #113

Flumph

Oradell shouts "You bet!"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth glances back at the farmers and reaches out for a handshake. "We're in."

25. - Top - End - #115

"Ogres, eh?" Gan mused. "At least it's something interesting."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

"It's agreed then. You can go to it tomorrow. For now however there are holes to be dug and creatures laid into the ground. We can even make a spot for your companion if it is within your customs. Then I'll ask you to stay for the meal. I'm sure my son can tell you anything you need to know of the Ogres during the meal, and then you can accompany him back to the barraks within town. They'll have a bed for you wince you're now in temporary employment. For now though, if you have the strength, we will take my dogs and your late companion to the yard." The farmer says, with a sigh, opening his strange weapon for a moment and seeming to pull out a metal ball and pour out some black dust, before putting it on a leather sling on his back, and then heading to the dead dogs. His sons do likewise and begin to take the dead animals back in the direction Gan had first scouted.

OOC: You guys may now make claim to Krulcsh's items even if you don't actually IC take them until later. I can't quite see his sheet at the moment so might as well have them on yours.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth nods, then gestures for his comrades to follow as he translates for Oradell. "We're staying with the humans before the raid on the ogres tomorrow, and discussing the details over dinner at their place. Before that, though, burials for the dogs and... what's your hold's tradition for the dead? Other than divide goods up among the survivors, that is."

28. - Top - End - #118

Gan

Gan follows the farmers, the coin he had been playing with on the road here once more spinning dextrously between his fingers. "Perhaps someone at the barracks would be interested in a game or two," he mused aloud. Perhaps this little alliance (if you could call it that) wouldn't be the absolute worst thing that had ever happened to their group, after all; imagining fleecing any farmers he could lure into a game or three was putting a hop in his step and a smile on his lips already.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Flumph

Oradell says "OK", upset that his friend is really dead.

30. - Top - End - #120

Skeesky follows the rest of the goblins towards the town with the humans.

"Ogres. Hmm, where did they come from?" Skeesky ponders whether this is part of a bigger issue or if the ogres simply migrated due to lack of food. He considers what sort of blessings he'll have to ask Olidamarra for tomorrow to fight these beasts.