New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Heros of Awe-team blue

You still didn't know each other, but you all had received the same letters, from an unknown source. Top quality paper, with exotic scent and a shining arcane mark seal on top. The letters revealed a sophisticated professional caligraphy. No doubt whoever had sent them was filthy rich. Each of them was delivered to you three days ago, by unknown means, no matter where you were. All you know was that when you noticed it the pretty envelope was inside your pockets or backpack. It readed the following:

Good morning dear mister. We hope to find you of good health of mind and body. You may or not have noticed, but our group has been monitoring closely your journeys for quite some time. We currently need to complete a rather difficult task, and we believe you are among the few who possess the crafts and abilities needed to complete such task. Of course, we will reward you handsomey for the trouble, and should you do a good job, you may get further and better empolyment from us. We believe we can acomplish great things by worcking togheter.

Naturally, you may think this missive is a ruse from your enemies or rivals to lure you to some kind of trap, a very natural thing in the troubled days that we currently live. But we assure you, we're a very serious group, and only wish our mutual benefit. Thus, as a sign of good will, we invite you to a feast at midday in The Gracious Fleshraker three days from today, wich, as you certainly know, is the finest Ghallanda's restaurant in Sharn. All expenses at our cost off course.

We took the liberty of reserving first class tickets on your name in the closest lighting rail stastions. We trust you will acept our invitation and we anxiously expect our meeting. Untill then, may the gods smile upon you.

From your adventurous life, you were already used to having people request jobs from you, but this time was diferent. Only one of the top guys in Eberron's society would invite adventurers to lunch on The Gracious Fleshraker, the legendary halfling restaurant that served the finest and most sumptuous foods in history, prepared with ingredients and magic from all the corners of the known world. You could only enter if you were invited, and you would only be invited if you were someone very very important. This could be your oportunity to get the rich, benevolent and powerfull patron every adventurer dreamed off.

That, or it was some sophisticated trap. Either way, you hadn't become who you were for not taking risks. Ruse or no ruse, you decided to acept the invitation. Also, the lighting rail was probably the safest method of transport in the entire continent, and The Gracious Fleshraker was on one of the most protected zones of Sharn. An ambush would be almost impossible at those conditions.

As promised, the reserved tickets were waiting for you when you arrived at the lighting rail station. And after the rather comfortable voyage and the walck to the rich zone of Sharn where The Gracious Flesraker was located, you were instantly admited on the top class restaurant, altough the halflings servers looked rather disaprovingly at your choice of clothes.

One of the halfling maidens, with the hospitality minor dragonmark clearly visible in her naked pulse, then conducted you to the reserved table, in a rather private corner, where one could talk whitout being heard in the rest of the room. There you saw what you suposed would be your future party members, at least judging from the look of their clothes wich were clearly out of place such as yours, and a very well dressed man, who then spoke with an elegant voice:

"Ah, hello, I'm so glad you could come. Sorry for the secretism, but you see, I represent a rather respected organization, and you all have...How can I say this? Unfortonate backgrounds. Everybody makes mistakes, and some people are just unlucky, but you made a great deal of enemies over your lifes. Should those enemies know we're employing you, they would probably turn on my masters, and that wouldn't benefit us. Now, don't give me those looks, I think the letters already showed we strongly believe in you.

Now, let me give you a briefing on the mission, before the main meal. We intend you to recover a powerfull artifact. Now the artifact isn't the end on itself. It's one of the tools you'll need you to get for the true mission we want you to do. Our researches hint that the artifact is in the hands of a group of drows that inhabit Xen'Drinkck. Vicious dangerous cunning smart drows, actually, wich have managed to kill or capture most of the adventurers we already sent after said artifact. That's why we called you. You're not ordinary adventurers. Each one of you acomplished great things already by himself. You are very probably the best freelancers walking in the 5 kingdoms. The goal my masters have in mind is a very ambitious project, one that will greatly benefit mankind, but we need you to acomplish it. Shall you manage to complete it, we will not only reward you beyond your dreams and clean your pasts from all the misdeeds you may have commited, we will make sure to carve your names in gold in the history of Eberron."

Then a group of halflings appears carrying several dishes loaded with exotic foods and serving them to you. Fleshraker boiled eggs, dire bear steack, grilled kraken and many other expensive plates now fill the table.

"Ah, the food has arrived. I ordered the special ten courses feast, I hope you don't mind about it. So, what do you say gentlemen? Are you interested in worcking for our organization?"
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-04-05 at 12:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Heros of Awe-team blue

Drake Magne

Drake sat a bit bemused as he listened to the representative's speech. The trip on the lightning rail, the vastness of Sharn, and certainly the opulence of Skyway and the other wealthy sections were totally new to him, having been raised in a monastery, far from such bastions of civilization. He wasn't quite certain why they had picked him, as he wasn't the distinguished, experienced adventurer it seemed that the others were.

Well, there were those bandits that foolishly attacked him on the road, but that was just a few young miscreants up to a bit of mischief. There had only been 20 or 30 of them after all.

Still, he supposed that the combination of skills they taught at the monastery was probably somewhat uncommon. But wouldn't they have preferred to approach one of the masters with this offer, rather than a humble initiate such as himself? After all, he was practically a washout.

But then again, the masters would never leave the monastery as he had, so perhaps he was chosen by virtue of being available.

Drake was realistic enough about his station in life that such a thought did not wound his pride, and besides, he was wandering in search of a task that would test him, and force him to develop his skills farther.

He looks up at the representative as the man finishes his long-winded speech (Which, truthfully, he had only been half paying attention to).

"I cannot speak for the others, but I am merely a humble monk. I have no desire for riches. But you seem to believe this will be a great challenge, and that is what I seek. I am willing to take on your task, as long as your organization's motives are pure."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Owen sits through the mans speech silently in awe of his surroundings. Even after spending almost all of his life in Sharn he has never before seen the opulence of Skyway. As House Ghallanda servers bring out a meal that probably cost more than his parents make in a year Owen turns a more inquisitive eye to their host.

"Your offer sounds very gracious. Though before accepting I'd like to hear more about this artifact. I'm no arcane scholar, but hopefully you can put it's function into terms a simple Brelish soldier can understand."

((I won't allow this information to affect what I do in game, but does he have matching rings on each finger?))

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, good sir, I'm just an humble servant of my organization and I'm not filled on more details than needed. However, I was informed that unlike most artifacts out there, the power of this one isn't to destroy, but to purify. In theory, the artifact doesn't have power on his own, but greatly enanches cleansing magic of all kinds, allowing to lift the strongest curses and cure the vilest disease with even the simpliest spell.

The man's voice then lowers to almost a whisper

This last part it's just rumors, but some say the drow clerics use it to be able to inflict the most demented and cruel tortures on their prisioners, and then use the artifact to put them healthy again easily, so they can restart the torture, time and time again, for their sick pleasure. Most disturbing.

Ooc: The man isn't wearing rings at all.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-04-05 at 06:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jaden

Though not particularly awestruck, this man seems rather uncomfortable with his surroundings, looking longingly at the windows as though he would much rather be outside. He is tall for a human, sleekly muscular with dusky skin and jet black hair, dressed in a simple, though well made, dark green shirt and trousers.

An odd group, to be certain, though I suppose I'm no exception. We also have a pixie and I don't know what that thing is.

Jaden surreptitiously sniffs the air and then carefully tastes the food. Hmmm, I don't smell any organic spell components, so he's probably not a wizard and he certainly doesn't move like a fighter. The food doesn't seem to be poisoned either. This offer might actually be legitimate.

"Usually I hunt bounties, not treasure. Though I suppose I could diversify."
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

6. - Top - End - #6

Ah, my friend, you in particular were chosen for your excellent wildnerness skills. It's very probable the artifact wil be in the hands of some sneacky drow, and we trust your, let's say special qualities, to help the group to track them trough the jungle or some dungeon should the need arise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorian Axom

Dorian looks upon the crowd and sniffs. He does not let himself feel the displeasure of being surrounded by such a motley crew, neither does he let the fact that he had to leave all his servants at home irritate him as he removes his black overcoat (rather like a black dressing gown except thinner, cant thnk of an adequate name for it). Underneath he wears a suit of elven chain that seems to shine or ripple with light smoothly in the most subtle of ways.

Tieing his long black hair back behind his head he takes a seat at the table and lets his cool blue eyed gaze inspect each of the "adventurers" in turn.

Though he does not feel the need to eat, only a fool would miss such a feast.
    "I was born a cynical bastard, and ill die a cynical bastard"
    ~Rab C. Nesbitt

_- FULL METAL BIOLOGIST -_

~Retired Avatarist~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Shredder

This is the life! Excellent food, hospitality, and clients who appreciate my talents. Though she was a bit annoyed at the constant use of "gentlemen" in the letter and in person. Still, the job was interesting, challenging, and the client looked like the generous sort.

"Of course, I'll accept. You probably knew that before you contacted me, though."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, any more questions? We have provided an airship for your transportation to Stormreach, from where you will go to the jungle in search of the artifact. It will leave tonight, a mile south from the southern gate, in the little plain over there. As a little incentive, I'll give you these credit letters. You can exhange them for a thousand gold each in the banck, wich I would advise you to spend in equipment for the trip, especially potions and other expendables you may find necessary. Consider it a glimpse of your final reward. Of course, you're also free to keep any other treasure you find during your trips.

The men then hands each of you another pretty envelope with several arcane marks on them. Each of it seems to be an official letter of credit granting 1000 gold to the bearer.

Ooc:Ok, if you don't want to ask more questions, make any last minute shoping you want and report to the airship.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Everything sounds good. I'd be honored to take up such a quest."

Owen finishes his meal before departing. He trades in his letter of credit before heading to the Clifftop district to pick up some items

Eternal Wand of Cure Light Wounds 820 gp
    Scroll of Invisibility 150 gp
    3 Sunrods 6
    Last edited by Da Beast; 2008-04-06 at 05:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Well then. I'll see you on the ship.

Well, that artifact soundes strange.
    He stood up from the tabel, then he turned back to it.

What do we know about Drows?

Spoiler
    Show

OK, I'll buy the following:
    Spell component pouch 5GP
    2* oinment for Greater Armor enhancement, 2*100GP
    Wand of Cure light wounds 750

Rest: 45
    Last edited by Cray; 2008-04-07 at 01:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Drake Magne

Drake nods to the people around the table, who are apparently now his co-workers. "I will see you all aboard ship."

He pockets his letter of credit, stands, and bows to the host. He walks out, his stride oddly graceful and soft for such a massive being. Near the door, he growls at one of the lower ranking members of the restaurant staff, who he had heard express disapproval at his simple clothing. He laughs as the halfling flinches at his snarl and the baring of his sharp, daggerlike teeth, and then takes his leave.

He stops only briefly on the way to the airship, to buy a few healing preparations and food for the journey. Once he boards the ship, he sits down on the deck to meditate, ignoring the crew as they bustle around him. He seems content simply to wait patiently for the next stage of this adventure he appears to have embarked upon.

(( OOC: 2 potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, 300gp each, and 8 potions of Cure Light Wounds, 50 gp each, for a grand total of exactly 1000gp

Also spent a little extra out of my remaining bank for 2 waterskins and 10 days of trail rations, since we're going into the wilderness.

And I went back in and edited this post to fix horrible, horrible run on sentences. I shouldn't post at 2:30 AM I suppose. ))
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-04-07 at 04:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

(just realized that buying some food might be a good idea)

Second Waterskin 1 gp
    12 days trail rations 6 gp

31 gp remaining

As Owen boards the ship he stops to study the giant meditating on the deck before moving to stand at the front of the ship, waiting to depart.

14. - Top - End - #14

Shredder

Shredder decides that going against Drow probably would be easier if warded from evil effects, and so picks up an eternal wand of protection from evil and an oil of bless weapon. One potion of cure light wounds may also come in handy in an emergency.

The rest of the money is spent on utility items, such as extra provisions (20 days worth), plus a little "pocket change" left over.

After shopping, she heads off for the ship.

Spoiler
    Show

eternal wand of protection from evil - 820 gp
    oil of bless weapon - 100 gp
    potion of cure light wounds - 50
    20 days trail rations - 10 gp
    cash on hand - 20 gp
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-04-07 at 11:07 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #15

Jaden

Jaden nods, "Very well, I accept."

Jaden leaves the restaurant, moving with the fluid grace of a stalking cat. He exchanges his letter of credit and purchases some additional supplies

6 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds 1800 gp
    5 additional Ration 2.5 gp
    2 Waterskins 2 gp

Jaden arrives at the airship later that evening, dressed much as he was before, but with the addition of a backpack, a pair of steel bracers and a quiver with what looks like the end of a bow poking out of it, even though the quiver is much too small to hold a bow. Also, a leopard stalks along at his side.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ooc:Really busy with RL university right now, will only be able to continue the adventure tomorrow night.

17. - Top - End - #17

After doing your shoping, you go to the indicated point. There it is the airship, a magnificent vessel highly decorated with a central ring, hovering slightly above the ground, just so the red glowing ring containing the fire elemental that surround the ship doesn't touch the ground. Several parts of the deck are glass and steel windows wich allow you to see the crew making the final preparations. The whole ship is beatifully decorated with golden drawings, arcane runes and carved scultptures depicting flying creatures like dragons and griffons. As you aproach, you see a big rope ladder on the side, at the bottom of wich is your employer, who smiles again and tells you:

Ah, welcome to the "Nau Isabela", one of the prized airships of our organization. Fire elemental powered, crew of twelve, carries up to fifty passengers and up to twenty tons of cargo. This one has been recently upgraded and can now reach up to 30 miles per hour thanks to some gnomish advancements. Fifth fastest airship in the five countries.

Then his hand goes into his one hidden packet and he pulls out a bunch of papers

Of course, there's no use paying you to get the purifier orb if then it gets confiscated by the goverment. These are letters of Marque wich will allow you to claim for our organization the orb and whatever else you find for yourselves at the light of the law. Try to don't lose them, or our lawyers will have an headache geting the artifact back.

One more thing before you depart. Once you reach the jungle you'll be guided by one of our best employees, an elvish tracker. She's also the only survivor of the last expedition that's willing to go again. She's not much of a warrior or magician however, so we need you to be the ones to provide the power to defeat whatever stands in the way. Our guide will be there just to show you the path. She also managed to take a look at the basic layouts of the drow temples, wich could prove quite usefull once you reach them. She likes to be treated by Anabela, and she'll be waiting for you at Stormreach. She's been spending the last days taking care of the last details of the expedition and will answer any more questions you may have. I know that Xen'drink is a very interesting place, but we would like to get that artifact as soon as possible. So, when you get it(we know you will), please return imediatily to Stormreach.

So, farewell and good luck.

As you climb the rope ladder and enter the ship you meet captain Sebastiao, who greets you warmfully and says he's honored to transport such brave adventurers. He then conducts you to the lower deck, where there is a luxurious waiting room. One beatifull elven maid and an human buttler there offer you a selection of apetizers and drincks. The captain leaves explaining the trip will take only a few hours, but going in the upper deck is not advised because of the strong wind.

For some time everything goes smoothly, and you reach the ocean. The maid revels to be an impressive singer, and the buttler knows how to prepare some amazing cocktails. But then, as you look at the night sky trough the windows and you see something pass quickly. Something big. Then you hear something breack, and the whole structure trembles. More crashes, now above you. The airship slows down. As you get up you see some crew members going trough the corridors, climbing the stairs up and carrying heavy crossbows.

The elemental ring is damaged! Something big is up there! We need to stop it or things will get ugly!
    -screams the captain from the control room.

Ooc:Well, what do you do? You can follow the crew members in the upper deck from the room you're in now with a double move. Oh, and Tomb_Raven said he can't post untill Thursady, so I'm gonna NPC him a little so he doesn't lose the action when he comes back.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-04-08 at 07:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Jaden

Jaden jumps out of his seat, grabs his quiver and sprints out of the room after the crew, drawing his bow as he does so.

19. - Top - End - #19

Owen leaps to his feat and moves as quickly as he to the deck, drawing his short bow as he runs.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Well, then.

Arcos too jumps on his feet, dropping his drink. As fast as possible he follows the crew, always taking care not to block the passage for other members.

While moving up, he prepares his chain.
    Last edited by Cray; 2008-04-08 at 11:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Shredder

"I knew this was too good to be true, or at least this easy." She winks out of view and moves out to join the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Free: greater invisibility
    Double Move: Go to upper deck
    Initiative - (1d20+7)[20], if needed
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-04-09 at 09:11 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Drake follows the others up the steps, loosening his chain from around his shoulders. He goes up last, not wanting to block the stairs with his considerable mass.

23. - Top - End - #23

The crew members climb up, and before you can go there you hear one of them scream, and suddenly the other crew members appear running in the oposite direction and screaming like little girls, geting in your way. You finnally manage to get in the upper deck, and you see them against the darkness of the night

Halflings in black and red clothes soar above the deck, carrying spiked chains and cackling madly. They are mounted in flying dinossaurs, glidewings, protected by chain barding. They wear ragged clothes with skulls and bones tied to them. On the hand of one of them is the bleeding head of one of the crew members, the body nowhere to be seen.

"Let's go down and at them, mates"-speacks one of the halflings-"This ship and it's treasures shall be ours, the Bloodwing raiders! Leave none alive! MUAHAHAHAH!"

Then the halfling guide their mounts in front of you, spinning their chains above their heads, their eyes glowing with a mixture of bloodthirst and ansiety.

Spoiler
    Show

Ooc:Halfling dinossaur riding air pirates for the first encounter! I'll roll iniative for everybody in the next post. Any question about the map ask. And no, you won't be fighting the same battle as red team. As I said, each team's adventure will have diference from the other team.

24. - Top - End - #24

Iniative time!

Bloodwing raiders:(1d20+7)[15]

Doriam:(1d20+2)[6]

Arcos:(1d20+2)[11]

Owen:(1d20+2)[17]

Drake:(1d20+6)[19]

Jaden:(1d20+4)[17]

Duke of URL already rolled his iniative. In case of ties the character with biggest modifier goes first.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

As Arcos sees the flying beast and there riders, he touches his belt with his left hand, clunching his chain with the right one.

Spoiler
    Show

Infusion: Bulls Strength, lvl 2, 3left.

Last edited by Cray; 2008-04-09 at 11:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that the people acting before me don't do anything to significantly change the battle field I'm going to:

Take a shot at the glide wing on the far right
    Attack - (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[8]

Five foot step to A8, drop my bow and draw my sword as a move action

Take a swift action to assume the Leading the Charge stance (from now on I'm going to be in this stance at all times, unless I say otherwise)

Owen aims a single shot before stepping back and drawing his sword. He then takes a moment to focus himself, preparing himself to launch into the fray.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Duke of URL rolled a better initiative than mine, but since Oslecamo asked me to post what Drake is going to do...

I had been planning on using Death Mark on one of the halflings' mounts, in order to create a 20 foot explosion of flame and do 6d6 to all of them and their mounts. But then I decided doing that on an airship probably wasn't a good idea. Soooo....

Drake uses a swift action to assume Pearl of Black Doubt stance, move-equivalent action to draw his weapon, takes his free five foot step forward, and attacks the halfling at H6, using the Devastating Throw maneuver. I assume that a successful throw will dismount the halfling, since a normal trip attack would.

Touch Attack - (1d20+16)[17]
    Trip Check - (1d20+22)[35]

Trip check is at +10 from strength mod, +4 for Improved Trip, +4 for being Large, and +4 from Devastating Throw itself.

I need to see how much I win the strength check by (Assuming it succeeds) to know how much damage to roll, and how far I can throw the Halfling.

PS: How far away is the edge of the deck

Drake reacts almost instantly as he reaches the deck. His reflexes honed by the training at the monastery, he quickly takes in the situation and is moving into action almost before he has time to consciously process the scenario.

He instinctively falls into a martial stance as he whips the chain from it's resting place on his shoulders, taking a slight step forward and lashing out at the hapless halfling directly in front of him, banking on the small creatures not having taken his reach into account.

His attack arcs gracefully through the air, in an attempt to entangle the rider and wrest him from his mount forcefully.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-04-10 at 03:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Shredder

Shredder decides to rid at least one halfling of its mount. She starts an odd dancing movement in midair that anyone who can actually see her will likely recognize as the dance of the dervishes, charges forward, deals some quick slashing attacks, and then withdraws to pounce again.

Spoiler
    Show

- Under the effects of greater invisibility; rolls below assume they can't see invisible, ergo, bonus to hit and subject to sneak attacks... also granting total concealment for any AoOs
    - Begin Dervish Dance (may move and make all attacks, as long as move 5' between attacks lasts 4 rounds
    Move to G7, target mount at H7: AttackMain - (1d20+17)[36] (+1 dervish dance, +2 invisible, ignores target's DEX), Damage - (1d4+3)[4], SneakAttack - (3d6)[7]
    Move to G6, same target: AttackOffhand - (1d20+17)[18], Damage - (1d4+1)[4], SneakAttack - (3d6)[12] <== I hate "Natural 1s"
    Move to G5, target mount at H4: AttackMain - (1d20+12)[16], Damage - (1d4+3)[6], SneakAttack - (3d6)[11]
    Move to G4, target mount at H4: AttackOffhand - (1d20+12)[23], Damage - (1d4+1)[5], SneakAttack - (3d6)[10]
    Move to E1

If needing to make Tumble checks to avoid AoOs:

1st opponent: Take 10 for 26
    2nd opponent: Tumble - (1d20+16)[17]
    3rd opponent: Tumble - (1d20+16)[23]
    4th opponent: Tumble - (1d20+16)[27]
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-04-10 at 07:17 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler
    Show

Crit confirm: Confirm - (1d20+17)[23], ExtraDamage - (1d4+3)[5]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

30. - Top - End - #30

Jaden

Jaden thinks, Fools, never take time out to talk during battle, and fires a pair of arrows at the halfling directly across from him.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Attack Action
    targeting halfing at H4

Attack:
    (1d20+12)[20]
    (1d20+7)[13]

Damage:
    (1d8+4)[6]
    (1d8+4)[9]
    Last edited by Knight13; 2008-04-10 at 08:41 AM.