New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heros of Awe-Team red

"Sorry!" Saul grovels, scrambling to get into position where the giant was before dying from the universally fatal cause of annoying Raging Lion Fist. Once he can see Shars, he draws the same clockwise circle to the same magically rapid chant as on the airship, and draws line segments in a similar manner(not the same since the their relative positions are different) toward each of the party except for Ghilherme, since the tree is in the way and that the elf isn't doing anything anyway(that's what he'll say if anyone asks, anyway).

Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]Moving to the now unoccupied space H11 for line of effect and casting Haste on the PCs.[/ooc]
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

2. - Top - End - #152

Seeing their leader fall, the hill giants try to press forward in a mad assault trying to reach Fist! However Jorwylf bravely stands in their way forcing one of them to attack him instead while the other manages to slip trough him whitout exposing himself and swings his club over Kankhimelk's head to try to reach the warforged!

KILLLLLL!

At the same time the dire wolf decides to also attack Jorwylf as he smells the scent of blood from him.

Fist finds himself unable to block the blows from the enraged giant, while Jorwylf manages to hold his ground against the dual attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Ooc:

Jorwylf takes 26 damage and avoids being triped.

Fist takes 33 damage(dr already counted).

Yes I'm taking in acount bonus to AC from haste.

The giant on the left took 4 acid damage, the giant on the right took 8 acid damage, the dire wolf took 4 acid damage.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-14 at 06:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kankhimelk

Kankhimelk slashes at the giant as it closes into melee range with him, swinging over his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is my readied action, which means I still get to act on my normal initiative too.

Attack - (1d20+14)[22]
    Confirmation - (1d20+14)[26] (first must have been 31+)
    Damage - (1d10+7)[15]
    PsychicStrike - (2d8)[12]
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

4. - Top - End - #154

Jorwylf

Jorwylf lashes out at the giant closest to him with his sword, and then opens his mouth. Muscles move strangely in his neck, and a gout of acid flies at the giant.

Spoiler
    Show

Sword attack:
    Attack roll: (1d20+15)[30]
    Crit Confirm (Above must be 32-35): (1d20+15)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[15]
    Extra Crit Damage (As needed): (2d6+7)[15]

I assume that my math for STR mod*1.5 is correct (+5 STR modifier, divided by 2 to get half that is 2.5--everything I've ever seen in D&D has been "round down", so +7?)

Breath Weapon:
    Damage: (4d6)[16]
    Reflex save for half damage, DC 18
    Can use weapon again in (1d4)[2] rounds.

Swift action to activate vigor aura. Everyone at or below 75 HP gets fast healing 2.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #155

Glawackus please read this:

Spoiler
    Show

Ooc:breath weapons are a standard action to activate. Please choose to either full attack or breath and re roll your actions. Also, you've been buffed by haste in case you didn't notice, wich would allow you to make an extra attack at maximum bonus.

Breath weapon being a standard action to activate:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060822a

EDIT:I can however sugest you the following feat:

Quicken Breath (from Draconomicon): Using your breath weapon is a free action. When you use this feat, add +4 to the number of rounds you must wait before using your breath weapon again.

I noticed it only now, but you still have one feat to pick, since you didn't take anything to replace weapon specialization, wich you can only take with at least 4 fighter levels. So if you want the feat, you can take it now, use the breath as a free action and roll the remaining two attacks from a full attack.

Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-15 at 12:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, so it's a standard action to activate and another one to use it. Okay. I'll go with the feat and update the CS accordingly.

So, another attack, then?

Sword Attack 2
    Attack Roll: (1d20+15)[18]
    Crit Confirm (above must be 32-35): (1d20+15)[34]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[14]
    Crit Damage (As Needed): (2d6+7)[17]

7. - Top - End - #157

Ooc:Ah, right, Kankhimelk's readied attack from last turn hited.

It's Fist's turn right now.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Fist

The Warforged jumps back in order to evade some of the Giant's attack. He then proceeds to take out a flask with some repairing oils and applies it on his body. After this, he roars and begins to rage.

Spoiler
    Show

5 step to J10

Took a move action to get the oil and a standard action to apply it. Raged after that

Oil of Repair Moderate Damage - (2d8+3)[11]

Image by Rich Burlew

9. - Top - End - #159

As Fist repairs himself, Jorwylf surpsises the giant breathing acid forward, following it with a flurry of slashes.

Guilherme keeps shouting encourangement:

The leader's down, take out another of them out and they'll probably run away!

Ooc:breath weapon hit for full damage, first sword bash hited, total 31 damage for the giant at F10.

Kankhimelk's turn

10. - Top - End - #160

Kankhimelk

Kankhimelk slashes again at the giant closest to him with his now discharged blade, then hops back a step.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack, then five foot step to I10.

Attack - (1d20+14)[17]
    Confirmation - (1d20+14)[32] (First must have been 31+)
    Damage - (1d10+7)[11]
    Attack2 - (1d20+9)[25]
    Confirmation2 - (1d20+9)[10] (First must have been 26+)
    Damage2 - (1d10+7)[11]
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #161

Kankhimelk's first blow fails to overcome the giant's armor, but the second blow comes with a new strenght and manages to pierce the giant's flesh.

Ooc:

Second attack hited.

Saul's turn

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

If Kankhimelk's third attack doesn't kill the giant, Saul steps towards him(the giant), moves his hand in an arc down and away from the giant, then says "Major muscle freeze" in Draconic and quickly thrusts his hand at the hill giant. However, his attempt to combine his spell with his personal fighting style completely disrupts both the jab and the spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]The forum roller is evil. That is all. Make up whatever evil natural 1 description you like.

EDIT: well, not quite all. Saul 5' stepped into G11 and tried to cast Shivering Touch defensively. He failed the concentration check by 1, and rolled a natural 1 on the melee touch attack besides. Unfettered Heroism is looking more attractive all the time...[/ooc]
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-18 at 04:18 PM.
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

13. - Top - End - #163

Ooc:Kankhimelk is under haste, wich would allow you for another extra attack at full BAB.

I'll let you make an extra attack because it's the first time you miss it. But next time you forget an attack, you'll simply lose it.

The giant is almost dead. That extra attack may be the diference between a clean victory or one party member ending up on a gruesome pile of minced meat.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-19 at 05:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry. In all fairness, though, it has been nearly a week in real life since Saul cast haste.

Attack - (1d20+14)[23]
    Confirmation - (1d20+14)[27] (First roll must have been 31+)
    Damage - (1d10+7)[14]
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

15. - Top - End - #165

Spoiler
    Show
    Bugger, and add +1 to both the attack and confirmation rolls for the haste. I forgot that was an effect of it.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

16. - Top - End - #166

Already bleeding from several places, the giant hardly notices when the psi blade goes with supernatural speed at his neck. Only when the blood comes out pouring in great amount the giant seems to notice the last strike, and falls trying to stop his life from escaping.

Ooc:And the giant is down(but still breathing).

Now it's really Saul's turn. Since his last actions were based on the giant still standing, his last post and rolls get nullified and he must choose and roll new actions.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Since the giant in his way is down, and it seems that they will flee, Saul decides to conserve his magic in case of another ambush. Instead of casting a spell, he advances to where the tree won't block his view and fires three arrows at the large wolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]5' step to G11, then full attack the wolf with his composite longbow. If he ends up killing the wolf, the rest of the attacks go to the remaining hill giant. -4 penalty for target being engaged in melee and +1 bonus for Haste applied.
    To hit 1 - (1d20+8)[21]Damage 1 - (1d8+2)[4]
    To hit 2 - (1d20+3)[8]Damage 2 - (1d8+2)[10]
    To hit Haste - (1d20+18)[23]Damage Haste - (1d8+2)[10][/ooc]

18. - Top - End - #168

Two of the arrows get stuck in the dire wolf's back, but it doesn't seem to mind too much the wounds.

The giant, on the other hand, seeing his teammates killed, and the party not only still standing but actually fighting better than before, the giant pushes back his dire wolf with one hand, holds up his club in a defensive position with the other and says:

You're too strong! Please don't hurt me! If you let me live, I'll tell my brothers to let you pass our hunting grounds whitout more harm. If you kill me, my bigger brothers will come, and they'll smash you all. Yes they will, they're much more stronger than me! And the chieftain is even stronger! I swear it!

Just as if backing up his words, you start to hear something stopming and grumbing coming from the east. It's still distant, but it will surely be on the battlefield in a minute or so.

Ooc: The giant is trying to surrender and offer you a safe pass in trade of his life. More giants seem to be in the way from the sound, some rounds from distance, but it's still not clear how many or how far.

Your choice now.

The giant seems to have a readied action, and the dire wolf too.

Feel free to ignore iniative in order to engage in diplomatic talks.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-20 at 05:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Fist

The warforged was ready to unleash his fury on the giant when he heard the giant ask for mercy. He stops his anger in an instant and stands more relaxed.

"Alright!" He says as he leans on the tree right behind him. "I won't hurt you." Fist ignores the giant and begins to check for the damage.
    Last edited by Random NPC; 2008-05-21 at 03:43 PM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

20. - Top - End - #170

Ooc:Jorwylf activated is fast healing aura in his last turn.

21. - Top - End - #171

Kankhimelk

Kankhimelk lets his mind blade slowly evaporate and moves closer to the source of the healing aura. "You are sure that you can guarantee us safe passage if we let you live?"
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

22. - Top - End - #172

We have our own honor-says the giant-Those who are stronger deserve respect. You are very strong, you deserve to pass by our territory. But if you kill me, then my brothers won't know you are strong, and they'll attack you.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-22 at 05:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Jorwylf laughs. "Stronger than a giant? This is agreeable to me!"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless he knows something that supports the giant's statement, Saul looks suspiciously at him, but even if he does get the impression that he's lying he assumes that the others also know and are executing some sort of cunning plan. However, if he knows something that contradicts the surrendering giant's statement, he will speak up. If he gets the impression that the giant is on the level, either from his limited insight or his more reliable knowledge, he starts rifling through the pockets of the dead and unconscious giants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4355870&postcount=36
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=37
    Take 10 on Search for 18.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-22 at 02:05 PM. Reason: He wouldn't be suspicious if he actually knows something that supports the giant's statement

25. - Top - End - #175

Saul remembers hearing from a druid that had lived some years on Xendrik that strenght is the only language to wich an Hill giant will surely listen. Their leaders are the ones who prove to be stronger, and they normally solve their affairs by naked fist combats. Altough naturally evil and cruel, a Hill giant values his life as any other being, and if put against a stronger enemy and with his life at risk, most hill giants will rather try to escape or talk their way out, with promises of some kind of service in return for his safety. Those promises are normally true, since Hill giants aren't really smart enough to make credible lies.

While Saul remembers those things, his hands easily find the giant's bags.

The one of the uncoscious giant contains four small pure gold dragon statues, each one of them with a large jewel in the place of the eyes. One with rubies, other with emeralds, another with saphires and the last with diamonds.

The deceased Hunter's bag, on the other hand, contains a pile of golden coins. When touching what was left of hits skin clothes, however, they transform and become a beatifull looking black cloack with a silver trim, just the right size for Saul.

The giant notices the looting and sighs:

Well, guess my brothers won't need those anymore. Ya're the winners, you deserve the spoils...

Guilherme on his hands whispers:
    Ok, this is all very pretty, you being able to make a giant surrender, but its friends seem to be coming, and I really don't feel like there's a real need to meet them, and that we should get moving now.

Ooc:Everything points out to the Giant's surrender being sincere.

Loot:

1000 GP, 4 golden dragon statues with jewels, magic unditified cloack.

The sounds are geting closer. Decide if you want to stay or keep going.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-22 at 04:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

"Agreed! Let us move on to further tests of our strength," Jorwylf says.

27. - Top - End - #177

Kankhimelk

"Yes, I'm ready to get going," says Kankhimelk. If he spots Saul with the golden dragon statues, he continues with, "Oh, dibs on the one with the rubies."
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

"Okay." Saul says, packing up the loot. He falls into the same position as before the fight. Maybe he thinks that the giant wouldn't be able to give us safe passage? I know he'll try his best; hill giants usually keep this kind of promise.
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-05-24 at 03:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

As Ghuilherme leads you away from the battlesite, you sudenly hear the crude voice of Hill giants discussing something, followed by what seems hard things hiting each other, and more loud grumbing, but this time moving away from you.

Well seems like we managed to get past the giants. I must confess, now I'm feeling a lot more confident about you guys..Ah, here we are.

It just seems to be another normal part of the forest, but Guilherem guides you towards a specially big tree. Under it, hidden by smaller vegetation, is a hole. Ghilherme lights a torch and throws it inside, and you can see it fall several meters untill it hits what seems like a worked stone floor.

Follow me-says Guiherme, jumping trough the hole.

When you manage to get down, your eyes start to get used to the darkness, and you can now see this is a large underground tunnel, clearly giant made. The hole from wich you came true was made by the roots of the tree, and actually most of the tunel seems cracked and full of dust and cracks like it has been adbandoned for very long. The walls are filled with stranges runes and decorations depicting giants and strange creatures, but several broken parts make it impossible to extract any true meaning.

This, like you probably already guessed-says Ghilhereme, starting to guide you trough the dark tunnel-Is another legacy of the giants of old. They seemed to like to build a lot of stuff underground. Nobody really knows why, but my guess is that it was to give them some privacy from the dragons. Or it's just that most of the stuff that was build overground was simply destroyed by the jungle... Now don't worry, this tunnel's pretty stable, and I personally checked out for traps long ago in the way we now go.

Saying this, the elf sudenly turns and enters a branch tunel

Now, try to keep close, there are several ramifications and rooms I still haven't explored. It's quite possible that there may be some nice treasures down here, but that's for another day. We're being paid to retrieve the orb and come back as quickly as possible. Also the guardians here are nasty...

As he finishes the sentence you pass by what seems the remains of a rock golem, crumbled on the floor.

This one took out two of my former adventurer companions before going down, peace to their souls. The clerics at Stormreach couldn't find a way to raise them. I've come here several times to try to get things I could sell for a good price, but there's one valuable item I found out that I couldn't really carry out.

He then makes you enter a larger room, where there are several blocked archways on the walls, each one decorated with diferent runes.

As you all know, Xendrik's pretty big, yet the giants managed to one time build an empire all over it. How was it possible? Well, I think this is an answer. This, my friends, is a transporter room. Each archway, when activated, can instantly teleport people and goods to other rooms like this all over Xendrink. I spent several decades trying those archways out, and they are the main reason of my career of sucess. You see, the drow temple we're going to enter tomorrow is actually two weeks hard travel from Stormreach, but thanks to this room we'll get right next to it by tomorrow whitout much effort. Actually, we're going to teleport just under the temple. I don't know if the drow know about this travel system, but I know that when they install themselves in a place they usually spread guards everywhere, so it's quite possible tomorrow we'll have to face resistance the moment we come out. So sharpen your weapons, prepare your magics and rest well. Tomorrow the real action starts.
    Oh, one more thing...

Saying this Guilherme takes out a wand from his back and touches each one of you once. First you don't feel nothing, but gradually a warm sensation falls overyour bodies, your pains seems to disaper and your wounds start to close.

I want you all fresh for tomorrow. No sense dying because of some scratches from yesterday.

Ooc:
    One night's rest for everybody, so recharge spells and abilities.
    Time to make last minute preparations and buffs. When everybody's ready you enter the temple.

Ah, yes, everybody has been healed to full HP.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-05-24 at 04:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Ooc:Everybody's ready? Can I advance with the action?