New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: First Try [IC]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default First Try [IC]

Having come to Ephesus, the only place to stay is "The Silver Stag" where the rooms are suitable but not comfortable either. The only inn for miles this has been a good place to rest up for a few days while restocking to continue on journeys between the major cities of the land.

Spoiler
    Show
    You all are going to start here, you can decide why you have come but it is the only city for quite a ways.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: First Try [IC]

Lee

Lee smiled serenely as he looked upon the small town. Reminds me of home, he thought to himself. He emerged slowly from the forest to the northwest.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-06 at 06:59 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

8 hours into my forced march, I heard something up ahead. I lifted my head to see if it was some sort of forest ambush, and I see a town. That's it, I'm never going on a random forest adventure again! I enter from what is appearantly the east side of town. I notice a fair size building which I conclude should be an inn, and I enter. I plop down in a chair near the entrance, very tired from the day's marching.
    I hear my stomach growl, and think to myself I sure hope they have good food here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Awakening from his slumber atop a pile of moss just outside the village of Ephesus, Joshua took a moment to collect his thoughts. So, here I am. Hopefully one of these villagers can provide some information as to where the "Shrine of The Deepwoods" lies.
    He gathered his things into his backpack and walked into Ephesus fromt he northwest, noticing another traveller, obviously a ranger of some sort, heading in the same direction. Hail traveler! My name is Joshua. What brings you to Ephesus?"
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Children were gathered by the river bank not far from the town. They appeared to had found something; you could hear the murmur of their feeble voices, occasionally interrupted by the cries of the ones impatient to make action.
    "Poke it, try to flip it around!"
    "Leave the poor thing alone, how would YOU feel if I flipped YOU around with a stick while you were in that condition?"
    "Who cares, it's just an animal! BESIDES, I can do whatever I LIKE. My father always said I shouldn't anyone to tell me what to do, especially not one such as yourself...baker's kid."
    "What gives you the right to decide who's right and who's wrong?"
    The chubby kid approached the sparrow. He looked down on it, smiling as it was struggling in pain - one of it's wings were injured.
    "Enough, do shut up already. It's time to end this...<to himself> haha, I always wanted to say that."
    The sparrow had managed to flip around and fly a short distance away just in time to avoid being crushed by the little boy's boot. He lost balance as he missed and ended up knee-deep in the mud.
    "Awwwgh, look what you made me do you ugly thing..."
    "I didn't do anything", said the girl, "you got what you deserved."
    "EAAAAAAA, first I'll KILL that stupid bird and then I'll show you." He picked up a pebble that was lying nearby and crawled to the bird that was a few feet away from him now. The boy's lifted his hand up rapidly, ready to strike.
    "That won't be necessary, put it down."
    "I", mumbled the boy, "...okay. I wasn't going to hurt her anyway, honest."
    "A-ha-ha-hah. Do not be scared child, I'm no monster. I'm not here to hurt anyone, but neither should you. Trust me, there would be no pleasure in harming a powerless sparrow."
    "That's what I told him too sir", snapped the girl,"...he-"
    "Now now, do not waste your childhood away fighting and arguing - you should be doing something more constructive, like playing a game all together, or helping your family - I am sure there is plenty of work to be found in the fields. Allow me to take care of your little friend"
    Finrod crouched down and lifted the bird up.
    "There. And now I have a question for one of you."
    "Oh, I could help ye sir", volunteered the girl. "What is it you need to know?"
    "Very kind of you. My question is all too simple...where am I? What is the name of that town you came from?"

And so Finrod found out he was close to Ephesus, a remote town tucked deep in the forest unknown to him. Naturally, he headed straight to the inn - the soul of every village, town, city or...well, habitable location.

[Hopefully that wasn't too much for a single post, I got carried away.]
    Last edited by Sensate; 2008-04-06 at 03:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

The inn didn't have too many people in it, so when a slightly unusual looking fellow entered, I noticed him right away.
    He looked like he didn't quite belong here, what with his shining blue eyes and pointed ears. Wait, pointed ears... that's a telltale sign of an elf! And elves live for hundreds of years, so he must know a whole bunch of awesome stuff. I thought to myself.
    Dispite my moderate fear of his imposing looking armor, and the weapon that was mounted on his back, I approached him, eager to learn from somebody who was probably years ahead of me in knowledge.
    Hello, sir, can I interest you in a drink, and maybe a chat?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

As he was sitting at the bar, slightly aggravated by the innkeeper that wasn't very eager to take his order, a friendly looking man approached Finrod, offering to buy him a drink. Clearly the young fellow was feeling right at home in this environment, despite his age. His face looked inexperienced, but filled with life and optimism.
    "You're not from around here either are you? What brings you to these parts? But wait, how rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself: Finrod Dunen - fighter, traveller, philosopher, mercenary, planewalker and whatnot. Say, you have the look of an adventurer on your face and we're days away from any major settlements...As in the matter of fact I don't even know where in the world am I...would you care to accompany me? Days can get long and tedious when you're alone and there must be some excitement to be found in the wilderness covering these vast landscapes...
    By the Gods I hope he's not another lunatic. It has been so long since I've last had a decent conversation.
    Last edited by Sensate; 2008-04-06 at 04:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lee

"Well met!" Lee said. He nodded. "You can call me Lee," said the ranger. Adjusting his pack, Lee took another step closer to Ephesus. "I enjoy the forest," Lee said, "but it's always nice to rest in pleasant little towns like these." He looked toward the village. "Are you familiar with this place?"
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-06 at 06:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Has this great elf really offered me his company? Thus must be my lucky day! I better be polite... I thought to myself.
    I am honored that you would offer me such an opportunity, Mr. Dunen, sir. I am Elroy, Scholar and Wizard, and I was a little bit... lost in the woods for the past while.
    The Innkeeper was still ignoring both me and him, so I removed the gallon of ale from my backpack, along with two mugs, and filled them with said ale. I slid one of the mugs over to him, then lifted mine in a cheery manor. Toast to a new friendship! I drank my cup quickly, and set it softly on the bar.
    Seeing as how you don't know where you are, I guess I should enlighten you with what I know...
    Last edited by drengnikrafe; 2008-04-06 at 04:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Joshua

Haha, I know exactly what you mean, friend. The forest is indeed a most soothing place. Alas, I've no knowledge of this specific hamlet, only that it is near to the thing which I seek. Joshua continues on his way to Ephesus, chatting amiably with his newfound friend. I plan on heading to the inn, would you care to join me, Lee?
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

11. - Top - End - #11

Lee

Lee continued to walk alongside his new acquaintence. "Hmm," Lee said, "I'm unfamiliar with this town myself." After a few seconds, Lee realized just how long it had been since he'd slept in a real bed. "Sure, Joshua. It'd be nice to not have to forage for once," Lee said with a smirk.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-06 at 06:52 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As you enter the inn, the innkeeper welcomes you saying, Greetings, we have not had an elf here in a long time. My you are dressed strange for one of your kind though. I hope I can be of service. If you are looking for stay, I can assist but it will be a few minutes before your rooms are ready, why don't you have a meal at our bar. The innkeeper snaps his fingers and a boy about 16 years in age quickly comes to the innkeeper. The innkeeper lets him know to prepare some rooms for the guests and then takes you to the bar, offering ale and boar ribs.

You look like a nature sort, are you here perhaps seeking the shrine of Elhonna. If so I'm sorry that you have not yet heard the shrine has been closed because of trouble from the forest.
    Last edited by Iudex Fatarum; 2008-04-06 at 11:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Joshua

As Joshua entered the inn he overheard the innkeeper speaking of a shrine. Intrigued, he intruded on the conversation. Hello, my name is Joshua. I couldn't help overhearing. You were saying something about a shrine? Oblivious to the fact that he may have just interrupted an important conversation and was now rather rudely ignoring the two who had been listening to the innkeeper before he came in, Joshua was mentally patting himself on the back, believing to have found a lead to The Shrine of The Deepwoods so soon.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

14. - Top - End - #14

Elroy

I wheel around in my stool, seeing a mildly imposing fellow standing behind me. He appears to be the one who asked about the shrine. Yes, he was. Mainly the part where it's closed, and none of your Rangers, or Druids, or Clerics, or... I stare at him closely for a moment in trying to determine what his abilities appear to be Monks are able to go there anymore.
    I turn back around, and sit and think for a moment. Then, I realize something.
    To Finrod, I whisper Maybe he can join our little team. Misery loves company, right?
    I turn back to the innkeeper and say If we were to clear up the trouble in the forest, would the shrine be reopened? I stand up, and put my arm around the person I believe is a monk, Because my new friend here seems interested in reopening those trails, I turn to look at the monk, Am I right?

15. - Top - End - #15

Lee

Lee followed Joshua into the inn, hanging back a few feet behind his friend, but still listening intently. Trouble in the forest? This bodes ill...

Lee looked over the strangers as the story unfolded. "What is amiss in Ehlonna's forest?"
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-06 at 10:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Joshua

Joshua was surprised by the the man sitting behind him so suddenly speaking up and jumped a little. After hearing the information that the Shrine was closed, he was crestfallen. Now, it appeared, his pilgrimage would be much more difficult to complete! Well, thanks anyw- But Joshua is yet again surprised, this time by the suggestion of the stranger to reopen the shrine! Well I... of course! Anything I can do to help! Joshua was ecstatic, it seemed he had found yet another companion! Thank you! He beckoned Lee over to the table. I am Joshua, and this is my friend Lee, whom I just met today. Perhaps we can get to know one another better? He turned back to the innkeeper. But first I must learn more about this shrine. What is it's name? For whom was it built? Where exactly can it be found?
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, friend the shrine is not closed per se but is more not open. The road is blocked mostly to prevent people from accidently walking into all of the trouble along the roads. If you would like to go there you should probably talk to her. pointing to a woman dressed in some armor and with a morning-star hanging from her belt. She has a green tabard over her armor but the scales show at the shoulders.
    She worked at the shrine and is looking to go back and rejoin her kin. She was away on an errind when the trouble all started and he has not been able to get back yet.
    Last edited by Iudex Fatarum; 2008-04-06 at 11:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Elroy

I look at Finrod, Well, I figure you and I have nothing better to do, and we both could use to know the surroundings a little better. I look up at Joshua and Lee, I believe we have ourselves a little fellowship! Come, let's find out about the Shrine. We can get aquainted on the road there.
    I pause for a moment, then turn back to Finrod. I hope you don't mind me signing you up for this, I guess I got a little carried away...

19. - Top - End - #19

Joshua

Absolutely! Without a second glance, Joshua, obviously excited, rushed over to the woman the innkeeper pointed out. Hello, my name is Joshua. My friends and I are looking for information on this shrine that is nearby and were told that you have that information. Could you help us?
    Last edited by The Cats; 2008-04-06 at 11:05 PM.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

20. - Top - End - #20

Lee

"Thank you," Lee said to the innkeeper. To Elroy and Finrod, Lee nodded. "I see my friend has already introduced me..." He watched the eager monk make his way to the woman, following slowly after.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-04-06 at 11:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Elroy

I also follow Joshua. When I arrive at the table, I suddenly realize I'm still pretty tired, and I fall backwards, and land on my rear. I chuckle lightly about it. Don't worry, I'm fine. I continue sitting, because it's more comfortable then standing.
    Last edited by drengnikrafe; 2008-04-06 at 11:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well here let me help She leans over to you and touches one finger to you and you feel better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Minor Wounds spontaneously cast emptying create water.
    Elroy heals 1 HP

If it is information you seek then I have some, but what purpose is it that you seek this information? I have been trying to get back to my goddess' shrine but have been unable to as of yet. If you would assist then I am at your disposal. My name is Leto and I am a priest of Elhonna. It is a pleasure to meet you Lee and Joshua, what perhaps is your name she says addressing Elroy.
    Last edited by Iudex Fatarum; 2008-04-06 at 11:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I.... Uhh... My cheeks turn a little red. Thank you. I'm Elroy. It's a pleasure to meet you, Madam. I, personally, have no reason to wish to go to the shrine, but I believe our monk friend I pat Joshua on the leg Has some deep investment in it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Er... yes, well... I am a Monk of The Woods, or at least I will be once I complete my pilgrimage and return home. The reason I seek this shrine is that I believe it may be one of the five shrines I must visit. To learn that it is dedicated to Elhonna furthers my suspicions, for the name I was given to find was The Shrine of The Deepwoods. But even if this is not the shrine I seek, I will gladly help a fellow follower of Elhonna. Tell us, what can we do for you?
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have heard some skeletons were spotted in the woods near the shrine. I do not know where they came from but we need to get rid of them if we are to safely get to the shrine. This should also help those who wish to visit. If you would accompany me I think we can get through, I alone do not have the power needed.
    She smiles at the prospect of someone who also follows Elhonna.
    She holds up a silvery horn that has spiral groves going up it. I hope my goddess will help us in our quest.

26. - Top - End - #26

Joshua nods vigorously. While I cannot speak for my companions I can assure- he pauses abruptly, tilting his head as if noticing something unusual. Um... I can assure you that I will... do everything I can. He looks as if he is about the ask Leto a question, but keeps his thoughts to himself.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

27. - Top - End - #27

"Animated skeletons are walking about?" Lee asked. The ranger was certain, forcing the bones of the dead to do one's bidding was surely not natural. "If I can aid the goddess of nature, I offer my services."

28. - Top - End - #28

I, too, would be honored to accompany you on this, your divine mission. I was still sitting, and I realized the time was growing late, and I was still tired.
    If you don't mind... could it wait until tomorrow? I'm quite exausted... However, if we are to retire, there is one more thing I'd like to do tonight...

29. - Top - End - #29

Yes, a good night's sleep sounds like a good idea. Joshua pats his pockets for awhile, a look of distress coming over his face. Ah, well... it seems I've been caught without a single silver piece! No worries friends, I never mind sleeping under the stars! He walked out of the inn and back to the edge of town, laying out his bedroll in a garden of moss. He fell asleep almost instantly, having time only to think I wonder what she is... before being taken by the sandman.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

30. - Top - End - #30

Watching my new friend leave to sleep on the grass left me with bad feelings. I exited the inn to follow him, and roused him from his light slumber. Friends are meant to stay together. I will cover your room, Josh, you don't have to worry about it. As I walk with him back to the inn, I focus my thoughts quickly, and mumble something under my breath with a few minor motions of my hands.
    As we reenter the inn, we are followed by 4 guards of some sort. One of them says "These fellows were causing trouble in town, and seeing as how this is the most populated place, we were wondering if anyone here knows them." People look at us quietly for a moment, then I lose my composure and start laughing. The guards instantainiously poof away.
    With a wide grin from my silly magical trick, I move over to the bar and pay the innkeeper for the 5 of us. Follow me, Joshua, you're bunking with me tonight. I walk up to my room, plop down on a bed, and fall asleep shortly thereafter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shortly before we entered, the spells "Ghost Sound" and "Minor Image" disappeared from my prepared spells.
    Last edited by drengnikrafe; 2008-04-07 at 02:07 AM.