New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First Try [IC]

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: First Try [IC]

Elroy

A brilliant idea. I focused for a moment, with an exact motion of my hands, and a whispered word.
    I'm very fond of this spell. It allows me to see whether or not magic exists, and then later what kind of magic it is, and of what power and school.
    I stared intently at the fountain, and then I saw.... something.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elroy sees a glow on the fountain that slowly starts to glow a deep dark red. The water no longer looks dark its almost appears to be blood under the sight of his spell. The focus of the magic radiates from a dark stone sitting on the very pinnacle of the fountain. There is a second Aura that is stronger that is a Pale Amber, the Amber comes from the fountain itself. There is a second aura of a darker Amber that comes from the bottom and top of the fountain. The plain amber aura seems to be a very minor spell. the pale aura seems to be a minor spell but cast by a very powerful divine magician. And the dark red is a very strong, very concentrated spell both by a powerful divine magician and a powerful spell in its own right.

3. - Top - End - #93

Elroy

I pointed to the top of the fountain, upon which a dark stone stood. Something of great evil used the very power of darkness to do something to that stone. Also, something with divine favor somehow changed this entire fountain, and something, also with divine favor, but somewhat weaker, has changed the top and bottom of this fountain.
    I stood, contimplating what I saw for a short while. Not just one, but I believe 2 or 3 people have placed quite a bit of magic on it. This is by no means a normal fountain.
    I quickly scanned the surrounding area, as to see if there was any other notable magical things afoot.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto
    The water flowing in this fountain is normally a clear blue and it cures wounds and heals small amounts. It is a type of holy water I think. We should definitely try to cure this fountain as soon as we can. Elroy, could you move that stone somehow without touching it?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Though he had no magic talent of his own, the ranger looked over the fountain with the casters, listening intently as they spoke. He briefly thought about the pair of gloves in his backpack, but said nothing, knowing that they would not provide adequate protection from the magic of the fountain.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-05-12 at 08:16 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #96

I'm afraid that unless a burning magical blast would dislodge the stone, I have no magical means as to attempt to move it. I'm not even sure I have any mundane objects I could throw at it. No, hold on, I do have some stuff I don't need or anticipate using. I reached into my backpack, removing a bar of soap, a wooden holy symbol, my clay mugs, and my flask.
    Alright, who around here is sure of their aim?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto
    The fountain isn't that big. Elroy, do you think you could, um hit it with your staff. Leto says. I am quite short and you are taller, I think you might be able to just reach it and knock this evil stone thing off. If that doesn't work have lee try and throw something to dislodge it, he's got to have good aim, he carries a bow with him.

8. - Top - End - #98

Elroy
    I took a quick look at the fountain. Well, what do you know. I probably can. I blushed slightly at my own foolishness. Good thinking, Leto... I held my quarterstaff in my right hand at the very end, reaching towards the stone. As the staff approached the staff approached the stone, I paused. With a quick jab, I hit the stone.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The black stone falls out of the fountain and immediately a patch of grass surrounding it lights on fire and when it dies the area is completely dead. slowly the brown in the grass continues out till a 5 ft diameter circle is blackened by the stone.
    The staff held in Elroy's hands bursts into flame. Starting at the tip the fire quickly races to his hands.
    The water in the fountain continues to flow out the top where the stone used to be. The water immediately starts to clear up turning clear and pure looking.

[ooc]
    For clearing up the fountain 200 xp each. and Elroy make a reflex save or get burned for some damage.
    Last edited by Iudex Fatarum; 2008-05-13 at 02:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Elroy
    I realized my staff had caught fire just in time to realize that my hands had too. Well, I'm glad we got that thing cle--YAAAAAH! I swiftly plunged my hands and staff into the water which I hoped and prayed was now clear of evil.
    While that may have not been the least catching my hands on fire way of solving things, I shot a quick dirty look at Leto I'll admit it did clear up this fountain.
    I paused for a moment. So... what now?

11. - Top - End - #101

Lee's eyes widened as Elroy caught fire and subsequently put himself out. He started to reach for his waterskin, preparing to douse the wizard, but by the time he was touching it, Elroy had plunged his hands into the fountain.

Listening to him talk afterward, Lee said, "Y'know, I think I saw a latch on the base of the fountain." Turning to Leto, he said, "Do you have any idea what purpose it might serve?"
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

12. - Top - End - #102

I noticed Lee with his canteen readied. Thank you, friend, but I appear to be fine. Wait, Latch, you say? Much like... I took a good look at the founatin. Those 2? I pointed at the two I saw. ... Good question.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto
    I don't know what those latches are for. I have never noticed them before now. The water looks much clearer, but I still do not know what happened to the priests here.
    She glances at Elroy's hand sitting in the fountain. It certainly looks like you have cleared up this mess, look at your skin, it is almost completely healed.

14. - Top - End - #104

Elroy
    I guess the fountain is healed. And with perfect timing, no less. What a useful contraption... I basked in the wonderful feel of the fountain as it healed up my burned hand. Now, about these latches... why don't we try doing something to them, and see if something happens?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elroy pulls a lever up and a small drawer pops out and sees a small bracelet of a green stone it is almost a milky white-green with darker green veins running through it. there are also a number of coins that are a color that is a little more white than silver (platinum). There are about 10 of these coins sitting on the bottom of the drawer.
    Elroy then pulls up the other lever he has seen. He sees a small piece of a pure black stone set in a ring. The stone is pitch black, it is very reflective and yet also seems to steal some of the light from the surrounding area. There are about 20 coins sitting on the bottom, made out of platinum. There is also a small scrap of paper shoved to one side, slightly torn but still useable.

Leto perks up at seeing the scrap of paper. She reaches into a small tube swung around the small of her back. She pulls out a piece of paper that looks the same as the one just pulled out of the drawer. This scroll I have casts a spell that creates a magical fog. Perhaps you can do the same with this, keep it close to you. I think we might find a scroll case for you near by.

16. - Top - End - #106

A magical fog, you say? It sounds as though it could some in handy, should any other abominations come our way. Now, these rings... I wonder what they do. I picked the pure black ring out of the box. Leto, do you have any ideas? Either of what it does, or maybe how to find out?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto
    I am sorry but I am not sure what the ring does or the bracelet. Most magical items I know of that are rings activate when worn. Perhaps you could put one on, or maybe you could cast some kind of spell to see any magic on it.

18. - Top - End - #108

Good thinking. Nothing in my arcane repitoir allows me to understand the functions of arcane objects. I placed the dark ring upon my hand, and searched myself for a differing feeling, or just something different to happen. I proceeded to jump up and down rapidly, and spin around, and tried to hit a nearby tree with my quarterstaff.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You hit the tree with the staff and it shatters. Charred wood flies everywhere and yet you feel your eyes change slightly and the sun seems brighter. Leto turns to look at you and stifles a small cry
    What happened to you? Your eyes, they are red. What has happened?

20. - Top - End - #110

Lee, meanwhile, toggled the last catch in a cautious manner.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lee has a small drawer pop out so he can look inside. There are a number of coins, about 20 pieces of platinum coins. There is also a small piece of a bright blue stone that is completely opaque. There is also a small piece of wood that is striped smooth and is straight.

Elroy starts to feel a drop in temperature and Leto starts to shiver. Lee feels nothing like this.

[ooc]
    Yes this is a cursed onyx ring.

22. - Top - End - #112

Lee examined the blue stone curiously. He held it up, so that the other people could see it. "There's some coins in here, too," he said.

23. - Top - End - #113

I... I can't... see anything. This light pierces my eyes like the noble lance of a paladin pierces the skin of an evildoer! Also, what is this draft that comes so suddenly? I yanked the ring off of my finger swiftly, and waited to readjust. This may well come in handy when it's hot and dark, but for now, I think we'd better set it aside. Now, this other bracelet, on the other hand... I took the small, green bracelet out of the other drawer and slipped it on to my arm.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The ring won't come off of Elroy's finger. The temperature becomes more steady but is still cold, it seems to come out of the ring.
    The bracelet slips on but does not appear to do anything. It slips up to half way up the lower arm of Elroy.
    Leto grabs Elroy's shoulder and helps him into the edge of the wood line in the shade. She then rips a small portion of the hem of her skirt and offers to tie it over his eyes. Will this help? I do not have any spells than can relieve your pain. Perhaps if we can find the head of my order she can help.

25. - Top - End - #115

Elroy
    I believe that blindfold would be a fantastic help. I should've been more careful. Of course something that absorbs light is going to be somehow cursed... Thank you for your help, although I will probably need your constant guidance if I am to not run into things. And I am struck with an idea. We should travel at night, if you don't mind, so that I would be useful, should we run into any more undead abominations. I'm sure that dispite this ring's cruel nature, it has some sort of positive magic upon it. I shivered in the constant cold. Or... perhaps the night would be too cold for me to handle.... I appologize for being so rash in putting on this ring. I should've had it somehow investigated first.
    I don't know... evidently I'm not thinking clearly enough from the shock of this thing. It's your decision, Leto.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto
    Leto pulls a lever. Hey what is this scroll say? Who can read this? She holds up a sheet written in Sylvan.

27. - Top - End - #117

Elroy
    It's been awhile since I've made an effort to attempt to glean knowledge from a tome of any sort written in this language. I will make an attempt to decipher, although I make no true promises. I step towards the sound of Leto's voice, when I remember that I have the hardest time in the world reading anything while I have a blindfold over my eyes. Upon taking it off, the light stings once more, so I jump back into the shade quickly, and reapply the blindfold. Bring it to me, here in the shade, and I'll see what I can do.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Leto takes the piece of parchment over to Elroy in the shade. He is able to read a short description path to a small temple near by (NE) that houses only a few people, it mentions a small barracks in the opposite direction (SW) that housed more priests that take care of the normal functions of the grove. The Temple is called the Temple of The Shrine of the Deepwoods.

[ooc]
    Which way are you going to go, barracks, temple, or back to town.

29. - Top - End - #119

Elroy
    It would appear as though there is a shrine known as the Shrine of the Deepwoods and a barracks quite close to here. I imagine that the lack of upkeep here means that both would probably be uninhabited, but I figure if we'll find any clues to the reasons behind this place, it would be where the priests lived, and not where they visited. I pointed to the southwest. Sound like a plan?

30. - Top - End - #120

Lee finished examining the items and pocketed them before speaking to his friends. "Indeed," Lee said, "I'd like to find answers to this puzzle."