New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom

Dalor stands, axe still at the ready, glaring at the new threat menacingly. He refrains from attacking directly, but his stance and demeanor definitely convey that of a caged animal on the hunt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to charge towards the hobgoblins should they take offensive actions against the party

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

"We've got a prisoner as it is, so once I'm in that building you're welcome to do whatever you want, but with those orders I think you can get some information out of them. Have fun and make sure to keep it quiet." Phalius says happily as he walks past, pleased that his plan is coming together.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Damnit. Phallius may be good with all the cloak and dagger bits but I'm not. Run the worried thoughts through Laius's head. Sure, I'm handy with daggers as daggers... can even do a tad of presitgidation but the best magic I've got is the magic of fire and steel.

Bah! I hate lying... love storytelling, though...

Suddenly, his eyes light up with a cunning... and perhaps desperate plan. Aha! Storytelling... I'll just spin up one of the yarns from the libraries of Sorayta's Rest! I just hope they like listening!

Laius then sheathes his sword and maneuvres Truefang over to the far end of the valley where all about is flat and level ground but to his sides are good high slopes that he reckons can channel sound effectively. The halfling doffs his plumed helm and bellows in the Goblin tongue, ""Tuuncuunraanl dager or daan Rhuun Ar-Kar, A shuulkaac o dhuur or huul taagelaan! Shuulkaan ac ter druul, keraac alkhel'daan duun daan hac dal'daan or Dhaan-Kosh or Kaarthuun, daan haakhaan dager or daan kuuch kekaan or Muur!"

As he beckons to them to harken to the tale, doubt strikes his heart. Fearing that his personal charms may not work or his audience may like the speaking of swords better than the speaking of tongues, Laius' right hand itches to draw the lance from its special harness behind the saddle and brace himself for a charge...

((Honoured warriors of the Boss Uth-Lar, I commend you for your good service! Come and sit down, listen awhile to the grand tale of Fre-Rhuk of Redrock, the greatest warrior of the royal line of Koth!"))
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Varech crosses to Laius, rummaging around in his pack for a cloth. "I suggest we help gather up the bodies," he murmurs to the halfling, for his ears only, as he cleans his blade and replaces its cover. "Showing respect to the fallen may help defuse some of the tension with these new arrivals. I expect it would sound better coming from you, though."

This said, he moves off to enlist the others in this task, trusting that Laius can smooth over any offense the hobgoblins may take.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will move to any fallen hobgoblin and - respectfully - carry the body to lay it out near the house, in a line, arranged at rest. Will also try to get Dalor especially to help, knowing he's the likeliest to anger the goblins inadvertently. Gelu he will be fine with leaving on guard if the ranger doesn't want to help.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2008-04-13 at 12:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ay, I'm sure we can come up with a few things to do with our new friends.

Gelu smiles, but it does little to comfort the hobgoblins. He continues to move forward, but just enough to make his shot an easier one. He keeps his eyes on each of the hobgoblins, getting to prepared to fire at the first one that tries to attack his party.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll move to within 30 feet of the closest hobgoblin, and then ready an action to shoot the first one that attacks. Should we reroll initiative for this combat or keep our previous rolls?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Phailus takes Uth-Lar out of sight and the party approaches, the hobgoblins are obviously worried. Laius' mention of the royal line of Koth makes them turn and mutter to each other. They seem to reach a general agreement and then bolt for the woods to the north. Two of them fire arrows half-heartedly at the group, but only to keep you all at bay.

(All but two of the hobgoblins run towards the northern edge of the woods at top speed, the other two fire wildly and then move as far as they can after their companions.)

7. - Top - End - #67

Varech halts in his movement towards the fallen and watches the hobgoblins run, befuddled.

"That looks more like flight than retreat," he observes. "Are they so intimidated by our defeat of these ambushers? Something strange is afoot here - I suggest we not pursue them until we can question this 'Uth-Lar'. Gelu, Dalor, perhaps you would keep watch out here, and we two who speak their tongue will help Phalius?"

8. - Top - End - #68

Imp

As Phalius enters the room he looks around for somewhere to seat Uth-Lar and then asks "What were you saying about Koth earlier? tell me about your position here."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"COWARDS!!" Dalor calls out, wiping the gore from his axe on a dead hobgoblin.

"Now let's see if we can find some information on these ones." Dalor kneels down, searching the pockets of the nearest hobgoblin.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"Whaddabloodyheck?!" Laius sputters in sheer bewilderment and slight disappointment as the hobgoblins turn away, routed.

"Aye, sure..." he replies to Varech as he rides towards the ruined building.

Passing by Dalor, he leans toward him and says, "It's ShUuLkhAR! in the Goblin tongue..."

Nearing the building, he ducks the lance's long shaft as he passes through the doorframe. Once inside, he says, "They're gone. Left. Ran. Routed. Bloody shuulkhar..."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-13 at 12:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inside of the farmhouse, you come across five human corpses piled up against a wall; an older woman in well-made robes, three men with leather armor and the look of mercenaries, and a young man in a tweed shirt and pants, obviously a farmer of some sort.

Past this room, through a crumbled wall, is a crude campsite with a few dirty bedrolls, the remains of two fires, and a few odds and ends strung about. Uth-Lar sits next to one of the banked fires, fingering the bleeding wound Laius' lance gave him.

"Koth, you know Wyrmlord Koth, the mighty sorcerer and lieutenant to the great and powerful High Wyrmlord Azarr Kul, leader of the Kulkor Zul and the right hand of the most holy Tiamat."

As he speaks, Uth-Lar's eyes shine with fevered zealotry, he stands, ignoring the pain from his wounds and holds his fists to the sky, "Yes! He gives us strength and power! Under his command we will crush these weak humans and their allies! We will sow destruction and reap an empire!" His voice is raised in almost religious fevor.

"Will it not be wonderful, friend!? When all these lands bow before the might of the Kulkor Zul!?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Doran searches the hobgoblins. The first thing he notices is the quality of their gear. Its not the typical scrounged human or dwarven weaponry, rather it looks to be custom made weapons and armor, with a dragon motif on most of it. Their steel shield are painted with an open and grasping red hand against a yellow background, and many of them have this symbol on other items they were wearing as well.

Each of the regulars is carrying a masterwork longswordand shield, and a composite longbow with a quiver of about 18 arrows. Under their chainmail you find a potion in a belt loop. Each one of the regulars has one potion in the same location, and the bottles are all identical, cheap glass. Obviously this was also part of their kit, along with the weapons and armor.

Whoever searches the corpse of Zarr finds, in addition to his banded mail, shield, and masterwork mace, two potions in the same bottles as the ones the regulars carry and two scrolls. He is also carying what is obviously a holy symbol of some sort. (Knowledge: Religion to decide which)

13. - Top - End - #73

Imp

"I look forward to it" Phalius says with barely contained disgust, "but for now you must tell me how this road and Drellin's Ferry are guarded, I need to help fortify them, It is Koth's orders."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check if necessary: (d20+8)[9]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Laius' spine stiffens and chills as he listens to the hobgoblin's proclamations. His soul's sight goes back to the time that he came back home to the Greatgreens to find his people groaning beneath the whips of hobgoblins, to find a goblin murdering his family and friends in his very home... He recalls the pain and suffering not only of himself but all the more those of his people--- the starving, the dying... all the agonized lamentations of that time came rushing back...

The exiled prince's lip curls back in a snarl as heat rises in his neck. Furiously blinking back his damned tears, the last of the line of Longlance levels the winter-keen point of his weapon at Uth-Lar's heart. Laius' lips are suddenly cracked and dry and they move at first with feverish, silent motion...

Spitting, he swears, "By the Blessed Blade!" and then levels a glare of utter rage at Uth-Lar.

Suddenly, he heaves a huge sigh and fixes a cold, cold gaze dead ahead. He turns, about to leave the building, veritably growling to Varech as he passes, "Varech. I am going to leave before the Devourer tempts me too much and I skewer that bloody fiend through and through. I commend you and Phallius to your business. Sorry I was of no help"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-13 at 12:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gelu helps Dalor with his search. As he comes across the well-made weapons and equipment, he silently wonders to himself if perhaps this hobgoblins were more than mere raiders.

Well, the one thing these cowards had going for them was their weapons. You wouldn't mind if I took these arrows for myself would you? To be perfectly honest, I'd say I have the most use for them wouldn't you?

If Dalor does not object, Gelu bends down and picks up 3 bundles of the arrows, adding them to his own collection. He picks up one of the potions and turns it over in his hand, failing to recognize the contents of the glass vial.

You wouldn't happen to know what this potion is, would you my friend? They all seem to be equipped with them, but I don't fancy being the taste tester.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"By all means, take the arrows. You're a far better archer than I. But, this is no small raiding party. These hobgoblins are part of a military. They are wearing uniforms... we best be on guard." Dalor notes, piling all the loot together and dropping the bodies in a heap.

"We best check with Phalius before sniffing around matters of magic. Keep the potions out for his inspection."
    Last edited by SamTheCleric; 2008-04-13 at 12:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uth-Lar twitches as Laius points his lance at the hobgoblin. For a moment the spell shudders as Uth-Lar's mind tries to break free, but then the halfling backs down and the spell reasserts itself.

Looking back at Phailus, Uth-Lar laughs loudly, "That was a good one, friend, Koth sending humans and halflings to secure a road. Ha! When he has plenty of us hobgoblins in these lands to order as he would. Why are you really here?"

18. - Top - End - #78

Varech breathes a silent sigh of relief as Laius leaves, the grip of ice around his heart easing slightly. The sight of the bodies had disturbed him, but more alarming was the knowledge of what the sight would do to the halfling. With luck, though, they might yet have a helpful prisoner.

Taking a moment to control his voice, he addresses the warrior in somber tones. "The others of the Kulkor Zul have returned to their posts. We should go to where we are most needed. Where do we move next?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll try to Aid Another on Phalius' bluff.

Bluff - (1d20-1)[12]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ay, I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled if you want to continue searching the bodies.

Gelu turns and faces the direction that he saw the hobgoblins flee, keeping an arrow in one hand and his bow in another. His eyes search the trees, looking for any sign of movement.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+11)[28]
    Listen:(1d20+11)[17]

20. - Top - End - #80

Imp

"Ah you have seen through my ruse" Phalius says, improvising quickly, "We are in fact servants of Azarr Kul, he sent us here instead of hobgoblins to infiltrate Drellin's ferry. I could not tell you for security reasons, so I needed to find out if we would be challenged on the way to Drellin's Ferry, however I tell you now, as I realize that surely you must be among his most trusted. So tell me how the route is guarded, and why not lie down, you're bleeding, take off your armor and I'll heal you."

Spoiler
    Show
    That might require 2 bluff checks, one for the 'Servants of' bit, and one for the 'lie down' bit, however i you think the second should be democracy feel free to take 4 off the total.

(d20+8)[14]
    (d20+8)[22]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

"GRRRRAAAAAAGGGH!" Laius hisses in sheer unbridled wroth as he overhears Uth-Lar's speech. Why are we here, DAMN YOU! Why are we here! We're here to put an end to your tyranny! We're here to end your stealing, raping and murdering--- that's what we're here for, you wicked son of the Devourer!

WHANK!

WHONK!

KLONK!

KRAAASHHKKK!

WHOGG!

BASH!

BIFF!

The halfling's eyes blazing with the pious anger of a son of a murdered father, with the loyal rage of a prodigal prince of an oppressed land, he casts down his lance into the dirt, leaps off his mount and charges the nearest tree, slamming his gauntleted fists against its thick bole again and again.

Blood pours down through the joints in his gauntlets but he punches the tree again and again... until he has bled off all his anger and stress... and getting angry at himself for admitting it so readily despite his Oaths... his hatred...

He punches the old oak tree again but his numbed fists, his now-nerveless arms shudder one last time and lose their grip on the trunk. He slips to one knee, and his head hits the trunk heavily but the pain on his flesh does not ease the pain on his soul...
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-13 at 01:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, you're some of the High Wyrmlord's spies. I see." Uth-Lar nods, then starts stripping off his armor, wincing now that his fevor has left him.

He sits back down, his bare orange flesh rippling with scars and muscles, and says, "The human town isn't being guarded. Koth wanted us to infiltrate the countryside and sow dissention and fear, to soften the human town for the Day of Ruin. I don't know why the Wyrmlords want it so bad, but we do not question the words of them, as they speak for Tiamat herself."

23. - Top - End - #83

Imp

Phalius inspects the bleeding (making a heal check to stop it if necessary).
    "Good, then we should be able to get in unchallenged, that's all I need to know, unless you have more to ask Varech?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think we can get much more out of him, I know that we don't understand most of this, but he'll be too suspicious to tell us exactly who these 'wyrmlords' are, but it sounds to me to be something dragon-like, any ideas for questions anyone?

heal (d20-1)[16]

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't think of much more to ask that wouldn't seem suspicious for us not to already know. This is my last question - unless there's an obvious one arising from his answer, of course.

Bluff - (1d20-1)[7] - if necessary - he's accepted our false identites, yes? Although I suppose my reason for asking may be its own bluff.

It's unfortunate you don't have a Sleep spell, Orran - rendering him unconscious and bringing him to the village for questioning could be a good idea. Hmm, TehJhu, how close to "helpless" would he be if Varech were to try whacking him for non-lethal damage?

"Are any raids planned in the near future, and when? It may be useful for us to arrange certain people from the town run into your troops and are disposed of."

Varech's mind races to keep up with the chain of deceptions Phalius is forging.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Blood drips down his gauntlets, making the armour heavy and cumbersome. Laius hits himself once more against the tree then slides wearily down its bole to rest in the crook of its roots. There he lies, seemingly dead to the world.

And then, after a quarter of an hour of intense meditation, comes forth from his seeming-stupour and begins taking off his pack and armour. From his pockets, he tosses a handful of beef jerky to the grateful Truefang who rushes forward and chews it all up.

Once every piece of armour has been stripped off and neatly piled, Laius stretches and flexes. Wincing, he draws out an ashwood wand and calls out, "Ho, fellows! The battle was too swift for me to tell... who amongst ye were wounded? Come, I shall mend your hurts by Yondalla's grace, if we are to continue through goblin-country..."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-13 at 02:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nary a scratch... though that tree looks as though it took a good solid beating. Maybe we can sell some of this 'ere gear to get more of those fancy little sticks for ya'." Dalor nods, putting his axe back in it's sling and loosening his shield and strapping it to his back. "Nothing like a good lot of hobgoblins to make the blood rush."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uth-Lar shakes his head, "No, no raids on the human town. Wymlord Kharn wants to crush that place personally."

Spoiler
    Show

I think we can go with the old Matlock strategy and say you can just wop him on the head a knock him out if you want.

28. - Top - End - #88

Imp

"Hmm, I have inspected your wounds and it seems that you may need to sleep for a while, I can't do much more otherwise, better for you to heal naturally no? You look awfully tired anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Well if he doesn't feel inclined to go to sleep Matlock style is cool with me, afterall if he goes to sleep and we get him to town within the next 6 hours they might be able to get more information out of him.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Laius' lip curls at the mention of the hobgoblins. "Good fer ye that ye weren't wounded, then..." he says as he thrusts the wand back into its holster and lays a hand on his shoulder wound, healing it with a flaring of diving light.

((Lay on Hands, 9 points... HP 35/35))

As Laius takes a rag and begins to scrub at his suit of armour, both furiously and meticulously battering away with every wipe, he succumbs to the temptation of entertaining temptation and asks Dalor, "Ho, Dalor... not just any "good lot of hobgoblins", my good friend... not just any... I say, do.. you... know what I wanted to do to that fiend earlier? Do you know why I came back out so quickly?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"You've mentioned your past before, friend. I understand your frustrations... but no reason to take it out on a tree. At least, not with your fist." Dalor lets out a hearty chortle, hoping to lighten the mood.