New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Red Hand of Doom

Winston seems pleased by the questions, glad to see the party taking an interest.

"Ah, many good questions... let me see. The Witchwood is just north of town, its never a safe place, but its become much more dangerous since the hobgoblins showed up. Vraath Keep is well known in these parts, it would actually be as good a place as any to start your investigation... and I wouldn't be suprised if there was still some of Amery Vraath's riches in there somewhere, although I must warn you its been well picked over the years.

"There is an old ranger in the Witchwood named Jorr, he could tell you more about the woods themselves and Vraath Keep. He's a bit wild, but as long as you don't touch his dogs he probably won't shoot you. You can find his cabin off the Witch Trail. Vraath Keep itself can be seen from the Dawn Way, the major trade route through the Witchwood. People say its haunted so most avoid it.

"The Wyrmsmokes are wild land. They're named because of the soot and fire that sometimes bellows from them. Orcs, hobgoblins, giants and manticores have been reported there as well as some dragons. Although I do not think we've had reports of any dragons for at least five years."

Winston looks to Soranna, who nods. He continues:

"Your captive, Uth-Lar was it, has been silent since he awoke. We've locked him in an old storehouse and stationed several guards. If we cannot gain any information from him by tomorrow, I've decided to have him exectuted for murder. If nothing else it will show the people we're at least trying to stem this flow.

"As for his talk of a "High Wyrmlord", these hobgoblins are forever giving themselves such colorful honorifics. Captain Soranna suspects there are no more than a hundered of the beasts in this warband. Enough to threaten Drellin's Ferry to be sure, but hardly a threat to even a place like Terrelton and certainly not to Hammerfist hold or Brindol. Still, if it is to many for you to manage, we would be most greatful for you to at least assess their numbers so we may prepare for a seige or call for aid."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

"Amery Vraath, was he the ruler or Vraath Keep then? Tell me about him, and this ranger Jorr, he interests me, could he be convinced to help our investigations and how would we find him?" Phalius looks towards Gelu, hoping to guage his interest in another ranger. Hearing a mention of Uth-Lar he turns round to look at Winston

"You plan to kill him? I understand why you might feel that way but might we keep him alive at least for the moment? He may still be useful, perhaps when we have more information about the hobgoblins." Phalius once again looks at his companions for their opininions on this matter, trying not to meet Laius' eyes.

"If there are as few as a hundred then we have nothing to worry about, but I suspect that they will not be the only creatures that will threaten you, I don't think it is wise to dismiss this 'High Wyrmlord' so quickly."

"Finally there is the matter of price, we are well intentioned adventurers, but intentions are not enough to feed us, and if Vraath Keep is as plundered as you suspect than we will need some kind of fee." Phalius once again looks at his companions hoping that they aren't opposed at his request for payment, once again avoiding Laius' eyes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

"Just a few Orcs, Goblins, Manticores and Dragons you say? We should get started! That sounds like a battle that would make my ancestors proud. Let's go meet this Jorr fellow and then continue into Vraath Keep." Dalor nods, and then begins strapping his gauntlets on... as if he were to leave at a moment's notice.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

Varech lays a calming hand on Dagor's arm. "Peace, sir dwarf. Let us not go in needless haste. We should rest and resupply before we head out - and learn what we might of our goal."

He speaks up to address the Speaker. "I must agree with Phalius that the prisoner can surely be of more use yet if kept alive. It may be that an indirect approach could get more answers out of him - of which we may speak further. But you have suffered at his comrades' hands, and you want the townsfolk to see that justice is done. It may be that this is possible without throwing away the value that Uth-Lar represents."

"We left a number of slain goblinkin behind us at the site of the ambush. It may be that those fallen would serve to show the people that the raiders are reaping their just rewards. Also..." Varech hesitates, a little guilty that he did not bring this up sooner. "We were not the first to come upon their ambush, it seems. We found some others who had been killed: travellers, and one who may have been the farm's owner. We could not bear them back, and were in haste to bring the raiders' leader to you for questioning, but it would be ill to leave their bodies for carrion. If you might venture out to bring them back for burial, it may be you could return with some of their murderers' bodies as well. I can provide descriptions, if it might help you identify them. We have tokens of theirs, too.

"In any case it seems there is little to be done yet this evening... we can be on our way tomorrow with our gear in order and ourselves fighting fit, and perhaps we might consult further with you then. But a thought occurs to me." He turns to Phalius. "Uth-Lar does not answer questions, no doubt, for his pride would rather he die than show weakness. But your magics might still work on him, or could be renewed. It may be that you could continue our earlier deception. If you told Uth-Lar that he was delivered here as part of a greater plan - that we might act as spies, using him to buy trust, and he might mislead the townsfolk, pretending to break but giving them false information - it may be that he would talk, and speak lies, but that we could yet discern the truth among them. If you tell him, 'when they ask our numbers, report half. When they ask if we are north, say south'. -Then we would easily see what their true disposition is, while he merrily reports it, thinking us deceived! What say you, Phalius? Are your spells and silver tongue up to the task?"

5. - Top - End - #155

Imp

[OOC]Ugh I already wrote all this and then my session timed out, I don't believe I have to do it again.[/OOC]

"That is an interesting idea, and one that I had not previously considered, I have never attempted to renew a charm on someone once the original has worn off." Phalius thinks for a moment then takes Mitten from around his neck and strokes her, a habit he has when deep in thought.

"I believe it to be possible, but he is much more likely to resist the charm, however I believe with time I could break through his defences. What is more difficult would be to reaffirm our assumed positions, afterall he is undoubtedly suspicious of us now. Your story is good, but his unensorcelled mind would be loathe to accept it, as he would no longer regard me as a trusted friend, this may have implications, especially if he is aware of the casting. Perhaps if I could cast the spell before entering the room..." Phalius once more retreats into deep thought, holding mitten in front of his face, after a slightly longer pause he lowers him and replaces him in his usual place around his neck.

"I cannot think of any obvious way of doing that so we we will have to rely on our wits to convince him, such an act could take any amount of time and we must bear in mind that other tasks await my attention tonight and I will need a full night's sleep to function properly if we are to leave tomorrow. Whether I can convince him will be for the dice to decide, so to speak. If I am to do this then time is of the utmost importance, so if no other matters await our attention I will begin now." With that he stands up, bows and goes to leave unless someone or something said stops him. (Assuming that his questions from the previous post are answered)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Speaker nods, "Amery Vraath was the Lord of Vraath keep many years ago, but he angered a tribe of forest giants and was destroyed. Jorr knowns more about the story than I. Jorr is a bit mad, people say, so long out in that cabin of his. But he's never harmed an innocent and has saved more than a few children or farmers lost in the Witchwood. You can find him by taking the Witch Trail, north of town. His cabin is along the way to the Dawn Way trade road, in an area called the Blackwater, a swampy sort of place deeper in the Witchwood."

"As for keeping the beast alive... well, I can make no promises. I am only Speaker here, and the majority of the townsfolk will want him killed, especially if what you say of more victims is true. We would appreciate it if you tell Soranna here, Varech, was it? Where they were and what they looked like so she can retrive their bodies, Pelor rest them. Still, I will attempt to keep this Uth-Lar creature around until you satisfy yourselves there is nothing more to be learned of him."

Winston gives a tight smile at the mention of price. He sighs and says, "Very well, I thought money might come up. We're willing to offer you five hundered gold each if you can drive these hobgoblins away somehow."

"If there is nothing else, I will leave you all to be and may Pelor bless you on your journey tomorrow."

Unless anyone stops him, Winston bows and leaves the inn. Soranna stays to hear what Varech says to say, commiting it all to memory with a somber look on her face, then leaves as well, presumably to get the corpses.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalor lets out a throaty laugh, "Ya' dun need to pay me to defend your lands from goblinoids. You keep that money, but I keep anything I find that isn't nailed down in that warlords encampment. That's how we dwarves do things."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gelu takes everything in in silence. He nods at Dalor's sentiment, and adds,"I can't in good conscience take that sort of money for doing something I feel obligated to do anyway. The loot we find there and the fun of killing a few goblins should more than make up for what you offered us. You can keep the gold as far as I'm concerned, but I certainly don't speak for all of us."

9. - Top - End - #159

Imp

"That's a generous offer, one which I'm sure we'll appreciate more after the job is done, but like my companions said, if the keep can provide our income you can keep it." Phalius then goes to 'interrogate' Uth-Lar and identify the items.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

((Sorry for the tardiness, yey for the comedy!))

WHOOOOSHHKK!

WHURRRG!

"AAAAAARRRGH!" comes Laius' yell as he plummets from the inn's second floor balcony onto, fortunately, a couch on the common room.

His breath is knocked clean out of his lungs and he lies there, insensate for some moments. When he comes to, he gropes blindly about. Suddenly, he stops and his face flushes deep scarlet and he takes off back up the stairs to his room, trying desperately but in vain to cover his nakedness.

-----------

A half-hour later, he re-enters the common room, astride his loyal steed, Truefang and already fully-armoured and bearing the Longlance. "My apologies, comrades and good lord-Speaker. I was... detained in... communion. What did I miss?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the Speaker explains what was missed to Laius (a bit put off by the halfling's sudden apperance) he takes his leave. Soranna listens to Varech's descriptions of the murdered men, her eyes seeming uncomfortably fixed to his.

Phailus does manage to charm Uth-Lar again, but aside from learning that Zarr was the leader of the warband, no new information is gathered. He spends the next hour or so casting his spells of identification over the gathered arms and armor. Once finished with that, he returns to the Old Bridge where Dalor and Gelu have been drinking companionably. Kellin runs a game of Three Dragon Ante for those interested, but the stakes tonight are low enough so no great wealth is gained or lost.

Eventually you all retire to bed and awake early the next morning. Soranna stops by the inn once you are down and eating a hearty breakfast provided by Kellin and the other Shadowbanks. She gives you a detailed map of the Witchwood. It'll take two days comfortable walking to get all the way to Vraath Keep, assuming you go to see Jorr and make camp. With a faster step and minimal breaks, you should be able to get to Vraath Keep before sundown today.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

"A thousand thanks to thee and thine" Laius says as he pushes off his just-scraped-clean trencher and bows to the proprietors and to the captain of the guard. With that he excuses himself and returns half an hour hence, fully armed.

"May the Blessed Blade ever guard thee and thine
    And ever flow the Goddess' Hallowed Horn
    For thy hospitality, we shall ever pine
    And heroes to thy house be born
    Dance light thy feet so free
    By Yondalla, so mote it be"

Laius pronounces a blessing upon the inn of the Shadowbanks and on the town of Drellin's Ferry at large. Such is his thanks to all and sundry but all the more his unspoken longing as his right hand brushes by the simple scarlet scarf wrapped around his neck and his eyes lock with those of his beloved looking down upon him from her bower.

The halfling paladin raises his lance in salute to Soranna, to the Shadowbanks-kin and to Talia. There flies a banner from the Longlance's shaft--- bright green weave fringed with gold emblazoned with a lance-and-horn emblem.

His splendid armour scintillating in the early morning sunshine, Truefang gives a heavy bark and Laius calls out, "Hillo-ho-ho! Tally ho, comrades! Shall we be off then?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalor chuckles slightly at all the frivolity, testing the weight of his axe and begins walking along behind Laius.

"Good day for a journey."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

"Everyday is a good day so long as your heart is true" Laius replies with a sighing smile. "But on the other side of things, I smell evil afoot. I fear we may meet another ambuscade ere we meet with this Jorr fellow"

15. - Top - End - #165

Imp

Phalius walks along with the rest of the party, hoping today won't be as long as yesterday.

16. - Top - End - #166

"True enough - there's a good chance those who fled the ambush yesterday may have warned the others in the Witchwood. We should go quietly, and warily."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gelu smiles at the never-ending enthusiasm of his halfling friend, but remembers the tragedy that some of the showmanship may be trying to cover up. He walks out along his companions, thanking Sorana and the keepers of the inn as he passes.

Aye, I think we won't be safe until we are out of the Witchwood. We must travel with extreme caution.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

The path known as the Witch Trail is hardly a trail at all. Passing through the last of the northern farms aroun Drellin's Ferry, you come to the edge of the Witchwood. Tall, dark trees press in around you. The day is just as hot as the one before, and once you enter the oppresive woods the very air seems to shimmer and sweat in the heat.

The trail narrows once you enter the Wood. You fall ino normal marching order and walk for several hours. The brutal sun climbs higher into the sky and beats down on the earth with heat. Flies buzz around your ears and as the firm ground starts to give way to swampier areas, mosquitos land craw under armor and bite painfully.

Eventually the trail leads past a small, ramshackle cabin in a glade. The porch is littered with fishing tackle and skinning racks. As you approach, three dogs nearly as large as Laius' steed rush out, barking viciously. Spittle flies from their lips and they run back and forth in the yard of cabin, about ten feet from the party.

19. - Top - End - #169

Imp

"Gelu I believe this is you area of expertise, perhaps these dogs could be calmed, for I don't see this Jarr anywhere."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

((Hey guys! No activity in two days?))
    Handle Animal check, yo! (1d20+7)[15]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Laius tries to calm down the animals, on old man with gray hair and a gizzled beard walks out of the coabin, carrying a bow. He hisses and clicks his tongue against his teeth and the dogs fall silent at once.

His watery green eyes look the grouo over and then he says, in a growling voice, "Well, what are ye lot doin' 'ere upsttin me dogs?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

"You Jarr?" Dalor asks simply, eyeing the dogs warily.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

"My most abject apologies, good sir" Laius answers, lifting his helm's visor and holstering his lance as sign of truce.

"You are the ranger Jorr, I presume? The goodfolk of yonder town of Drellin's Ferry have told us many good things about you--- that you are the one man who keeps the Witchwood safe and that you bring lost children safely back home" he begins.

"I'll be swift, that your valuable time we'll not waste" Laius says. "We know that there is a horde of goblinoids massing in the mountains near Vraath Keep and that there have been raiding bands molesting the townsfolk"

"We---"
    he says, gesturing towards each of his companions in turn. "---Dalor Giantsbane, Gelu Goodbow, Varech the Valiant and Phalius Dragonsblood..." He then bows respectfully and continues, "And I, Laius Longlance, have come hither to end their threat to the peace and prosperity of this most fair region."

"If indeed you are the fabled Jorr, we hereby request your assistance. We humbly beg your aid against these foul monsters and ask that you lead us on safe passage through your lands" Laius says and finishes with a bow and a smile. "Aye, and if you know aught of the history of Vraath Keep, we would be most appreciative and grateful if ou'd do the kindess of sharing your knowledge"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorr's dogs sit by his feet as Laius speaks.His face twisted in a look of bemusement. After the halfing is finished, the old ranger gives him a moment, making sure the little man won't speak anymore, then looks over at Dalor.

"Yeah, I'm Jorr. Do any of you fellers speak common, or is it all just this 'ere windbag?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, Ya'. Why don't we step inside and you tell us what you know about Vraath. Don't leave nothin' out, cause we think he's stirrin up trouble with some hobgoblins."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorr chuckles darkly.

"Vraath's dead. Must've been forty or more year ago, back when I was still green. He went to war with the Twisktusks, thats forest giants 'round these parts, and after he thought he'd wiped 'em out, they came a-callin' for 'im. Kill Vraath and his mercs. Ruined the Keep and then headed off into the Wyrmsmokes for all I know."

Jorr spits something thick and brown on the ground and lowers his bow.

"I'm guessing you fellahs is adventurers 'eh? I hope what the little fellah says is true and you're here about the gobbos. They've been runnin' wild through me woods this last month or so. I'm killin' 'em off bests I can but I'm thinkin' its more than just a warband or rogue tribe. I never thought to check the old Keep, but it'd make sense for 'em to hole up there. If'n yall'r headed that way, I could show ye a shortcut 'r two an' make sure ye's don't get lost."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're a sly fella. We are adventurers... and we are out to get gobbos. They are becoming organized... we captured a Lieutenant and he spilled tha beans thanks to my magical friend over here..." He motions to Gelu. "Now we're headed up to the Keep. Ya mind showin' us the way? Then, when all this is over, we can get a nice stout together and you can tell me all about tha' good ole days."

28. - Top - End - #178

Imp

"These forest giants, is there any chance they'd be any danger to us? Or more preferably the hobgoblins. We've already killed some but there's always more to share, once we get to Vraath how would you feel about joining us against them?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jorr considers, leaning against his bow, then shrugs and spits out another stream of brown.

"Sure, I'll help you boys out with th' keep. I can't promise I'll be headed out 'o my woods though, but s'long as yall'r within the Witchwood, I'll help ye if'n I can."

He clicks and whispers to his dogs, then stands back up and walks into his cabin. A moment later he comes out with a quiver and sword strapped on.

"Lets head out then, eh fellehs?"

(Assuming, as always, no one hinders him, Jorr leads you all deeper into the Witchwood)

For another two or three hours Jorr leads the party through more narrow paths. The day is now completely still and heat seems to bake off the very leaves of the trees. As you walk to hear a sluggish burbling from the north. Eventually the narrow path opens up onto a much better maintained road.

"This is the Dawn Way," Jorr says, "The trade route from all they way back to Brindol out beyond the Wyrmsmokes to Dwarfroad. We can follow this to th' Keep."

Another few minutes of walking on this more pleasant road lead to a valley in the Wood, a wide expanse of dark water has flooded it. Trees still protrude from the still water and many large patches are choked with algae. The trill of insects and frogs fills the air. The Dawn Way leads down to a wooden causeway a few feet above the water. It runs for several hundered feet across the bog and is made of old wood lashed together with mossy rope. It dosn't look very sturdy.

Up ahead you see the wreckage of a wagon stuck in the muck of the bog about 30 feet to the west of the bridge.

Laius and Gelu:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both of you make out a large, reptillian head resting against the wood of the wrecked wagon. Its eyes gleam with animal cunning and hunger, following the party.

30. - Top - End - #180

Varech eyes the wagon. "How could that have ended up so far off the path, I wonder?"