New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten Realms Game

(Okay, okay, I can't resist adding something myself, it's all I can do to not add a DM character, but of course, doing that is the hallmark of a bad DM, so I must resist the urge)

The barkeep placed some food on the table, hamsteak with eggs and biscuits (butter was already on the table).

"So, would you folks like some fresh milk, or perhaps some juice? We make the juice from a combination of the local berries, it's quite sweet and a little tart. Or would you rather something a mite stronger? Perhaps a breakfast ale of my own design? I added some of the berry juice to our sweetest ale to make a delicious draught that gives you the energy to start your day off right. I came up with the selling pitch myself, too."

The barkeep gave a rougish wink, his ample stomach bouncing slightly with his chuckling.
    The above post is Vorpal, enjoy decapitation.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Having crept back into his room a few hours before dawn, Corth awoke easily. He'd never needed much sleep. Checking to see if all his daggers were where they needed to be, Corth went downstairs.
    "Morning." was all Corth said to the makeshift group at the table. "I'll have whatever's cooking." he added as he handed the barkeeper some coins.

Corth received his meal. Choosing his own table - but still close enough to the group. He ate into his meal ravenously. He had been up for most of the night after all, without anything to eat. Between mouthfuls he would occaisionly smile at whoever looked at him so as not to seem rude.

The meal was good. The one thing he didn't like about it, was that he'd used his own coins to pay for it. Corth looked at his to-be companions, he'd have to watch his itchy fingers.
    Don't steal from people who know you. You'll be the first person they look for if something goes missing...
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Max

Max is very pleased with ham-steak and eggs for breakfast, he breaks open a biscuit and slathers some butter on it before stuffing it into his mouth with glee. He responds to the barkeep's inquiry albeit somewhat muffled around the biscuit, "Mmpph, I'll take some of that draught please. With such a sales pitch, how can one say no?."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Seren

Having brought George into her room the previous night, she sleeps soundly in bed as her 'companion' sits in a chair keeping an eye out all night.

In the morning, she gets up and after dressing herself does some work on George, adjusting his clothes and stuffing to make him look more like a normal man in a cloak and a bit of cloth covering his face. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any goggles on hand to cover his eyes so she just adjusts his cloak to cover his eyes. Maybe later she'll see about buying some decent disguise material for him.

After cleaning him off with a prestidigitation casting, she heads downstairs with him. She sits down at the table, while George stands back a ways behind her keeping a discrete but noticeable watch over the room.

"Hello everyone, I must say that this meal looks delicious." she pays the barkeep and begins helping herself to some breakfast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

5. - Top - End - #95

The barkeep brings in several urns of drinks of all the types he offered.

"Looks like some of your friends may be a while, so I brought some of everything. You're our only visitors today, and we rarely have folks staying for breakfast, anyway, so I don't mind if you don't finish something. Especially since you'll be taking care of some potential bandits and whatever mad experiment that Thalantyr's doing this month. And your skeleton can have a seat, if you'd like, ma'am. Before you ask, I noticed it always followed you, and it otherwise stood perfectly still. It's too thin to be like any of the descriptions of golems I'd heard, also. I've heard of necromancers that eschew familiars in favor of undead companions, but I think yours is the first I've seen, unless your peers can conceal theirs better."

The barkeep seemed unfazed by the skeleton, it was obvious he'd seen quite a few oddities from behind the bar. His mustache and kindly gaze belied his keen eyes that had been honed from having to anticipate trouble in his inn before it began. It was enough to make one wonder why he seemed so frightened by a simple half-orc. Could it have been an act to signal those he'd marked as adventurers to action?

(DM's Note: Lemme know if I laid it on a bit thick there, I have a bit of a flair for the dramatic, it's hard to stop myself sometimes.)
    Last edited by Manofmanychars; 2008-04-13 at 12:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

While eating quietly most of the meal, Quinitich chokes slightly on a biscuit at the mention of Seren's skeletal minion. Holding out her cup, she manages "Juice, please." with at least some dignity.

After drowning the morsel down, she quietly clears her throat, and studies George. "He... she? It, um, it's a skeleton?" she asks a slight bit bewildered. "The skeleton of someone dead? How... no. Did you get their permission, whoever's skeleton it was?"
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aza runs his thumb down his blade inspecting the new edge, before he places his whetstone back in his belt pouch, and produces a vial of oil, and a cloth from another pouch. He begins whistling a simple tune as he wipes the edges down with one side getting the metal shavings off, he pauses as he nods to Max and Corth.

He finishes polishing his axe to a sheen, and reties the weapon around his back. He grabs an empty mug and fills it from the pitcher of juice. "So, lets see" He looks around at the group of adventurers, "we're just waiting on the other mage I take it." he adjusts the collar of his armor as he takes a drink from his mug.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Seren

Seren's face turns almost white... then red... then turns back to normal as she hears how easily the barkeep had seen through her rather amateur attempts at disguising her undead servants nature.

"Eh heh... I suppose I should have known better than to expect to pass him off as just one of those tall dark silent types." she picks at her food a little, almost relieved that she doesn't have to deceive these people that she will probably be helping on some quest... after all, secrets and deceptions aren't exactly good things to have among those in a team.

"Anyway... just to clear up any potential misunderstandings before agreeing to go on any quests together. I should tell you that I did not animate this skeleton." she points to the cloaked figure. "Well, not in any real sense. Some of my older ancestors were apparently powerful necromancers. I had stumbled across some of their old spellbooks and found the ritual they had left to awaken the families power... and I summoned this fellow. I believe that he was one of the skeletons animated by my ancestors to serve as guardians in some dungeon somewhere. He is bound to obey and protect me... and carry my stuff when I travel. I think he could be a valuable asset to us if we are to be facing bloodthirsty bandits with magic at their disposal. Oh, and I call him George for simplicity."

mentally reaching out to her minion, she makes the skeleton nod his head at this last remark. Giving it an illusion of understanding might make the others a bit more likely to accept it.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Corth snorted as he surpressed a laugh. This would be just like Mask. Give him a simple mission; Head to Beregost, Scout the Area, Report Back. It seemed easy enough. Then Mask would throw in a circus of strange characters just to throw Corth off.

"Seems like a likable fellow," Corth chuckled "Let's just hope he's as handy as you say he is." Corth raised his half-empty glass to Seren.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #100

Looking up from his meal "A skeletal familer you say humm.would you mid me taking a look at him later maybe take a few notes.you didn't create him you say..very interesting indeed"malark finish off his drink and says"are we ready to talk of things to come now friends?'

11. - Top - End - #101

"Hm, if you want my advice, try to figure out a way to at least make him stand in a more human way, with slight movements from time to time. Running an inn with many travelers stopping by, you learn a bit about blending in. I'll leave you alone now, seems like you're going to be busy."

The barkeep headed towards the bar to clean out glasses.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Talk?" he looks at Malark with slight disdain, "My blade grows impatient, as do I, mage!" He instinctively reaches back and touches the massive weapon strapped to his back. "We should leave now." he states with a slight nod.

13. - Top - End - #103

Very well then no need for a mount at such close range I take it.gathering his staff into his hand "shall we be off then'

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

Finishing her drink, she nods. "We should start while the day is fresh still fresh." She picks up her things, pays for her food, and begins walking for the door. "Meet out front when you're ready." Stepping out into the city, she leans up against the building and keeps watch over the area.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aza stands up and follows the female elf, never wanting to be the last to march into battle. Besides he wanted to ask the lady something. He waits outside with her a moment before he speaks, "You seem to have me at a disadvantage," he regards the woman, "I'm not used to being known outside of our lands, but then it is very rare I meet another of our kin in these forsaken cities. More importantly though is where do you hail from?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Seren

Seren finishes her meal and follows Quinitich out. She has George move a little in front of her so that she can practice getting him to move a little more naturally.

"Hmmm... I should probably consider getting a better disguise for him. At the very least give him a face. Plus some way to avoid the incredibly conspicuous black cloak look." she thinks to herself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

Max

Max is not really sure what to make of the mage with a skeletal familiar. He's used to the familiar concept, but a Skeleton? So far Seren seems like able enough, and hasn't shown any malevolent intent so he keeps his own council, not making comment. He'll watch her carefully though.

As the conversation turns to making a move for action he quickly wolfs down another portion of breakfast before thanking the barkeep, paying and taking up his bow and heading outside to join Quin and Aza.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Corth finished his meal, and nodded towards the barkeeper with half a smile. He gently flexed both his hands and feet and mentally checked his daggers. So far, so good. He thought as he mentally checked off each of his new companions.

Corth got up and followed after the wizards.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #109

(DM note: Not to seem impatient, but since it's less than mile's journey, I'll just hit the fast forward button)

As you arrive at High Hedge, the first thing you see is a large keep. I about the size of a typical mansion or guild hall. It was clearly the home of Thalantyr, though it seemed rather excessive for just one man. Exactly twenty yards west of the keep was, as the notes suggested, nothing. In fact, a suspicious amount of nothing. Aside from a lack of trees for about twenty feet around Thalantyr's keep (likely maintained to prevent sneakthieves from having any advantage), the area was quite heavily-forested. The clearing's perfectly round shape and absolute emptiness (save grass) made it stick out. It was enough to make one question why Thalantyr hadn't investigated it. There was a disembodied commotion coming from the clearing, apparently the half-orc had finally made his report.

"You idiot! Not only did you lose the one thing that made you of any use, now you're telling me you lost those notes I gave you?! And you didn't destroy the note with our strength of arms on it?! Hold him, I've tired of his idiocy!"

The screams of the half-orc echoed through the forest before being cut off abruptly. The angry man had been casting a spell, but what could it have been?

(DC 10 Knowledge: Arcana to know)

Suddenly:

"Sir, I see someone! There's a lot of them, and they're armed!"

"Don't worry, lemme use that Pearl of Power of mine. That magic burst made it powerful enough to restore any spell, including, well..."

"Y-yes, sir."

"Wait... where is it?! That idiot must have taken it! He probably thought it was some sort of sweetie! Well, do something!"

An arrow whizzed out of the trees, going wide and bouncing harmlessly off of the wall of Thalantyr's keep as eight armed fighters walked out of the cover of whatever sorcery was concealing their camp.

(Roll for initiative however you like, I don't mind if you do it in real life instead of on the boards, I'm a fan of the honor system. I'll use the boards to put you folks at ease. I'll be using the average of their DEX bonuses for the initiative mod for the enemies.)

(1d20-3)[9]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow...Straight into it, okay...
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[6]
    And I guess since we're coming out of the forest, and my daggers don't have that kind of range of forest is 20ft away, dagger range is 10... looks like no H/MSing for me. So, I draw my dagger/shortsword combo and move slightly to the left of Aza. Fighting Defensively for the first round. I get AC: 20.
    Edit: Wow...My initiative sucks.

Corth smiled his wicked smile. He turned to Aza with that same smile, and said "Time to dance." as he drew the weapons from his hips. As Aza raced forwards, Corth was slightly behind him and to the left.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will edit if that's not what Aza does.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2008-04-13 at 09:11 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[12] <-initiative

And of course that's what I'd do. =P Unfortunately drawing a weapon is a move action and I have to settle with drawing and taking a 5 ft step.

Edited from: if I can't change it then just use this action.
    Aza takes a step forward, as he unsheaths his greataxe, he holds the weapon out menacingly, and for the first time since you have seen him a sincerely happy expression crosses his face, his only desire right is to battle.

if I can't change it then just use this action. ^

Aza charges forward as he free his weapon from his back, he moves to which ever enemy is in front of him and swings his axe in a wide arc, and for the first time since you have seen him a sincerely happy expression crosses his face, his only desire right now is to take the lives of his enemies.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+8[/roll] Attack
    [roll]1d12+7[/roll] Damage
    Last edited by JupiterJazz; 2008-04-13 at 09:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    From the SRD
    If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2008-04-13 at 09:42 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Seren

[spolier]Seren- HP:11/11 - AC: 16 (+4 from casting mage armor)
    George- HP:18/18 - AC: 16 (+2 from leather armor)[/spoiler]

Initiative: (1d20+6)[18]

Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+8)[11]

Seren quickly orders George between the bandits and herself and prepares to cast grease on the largest group of bandits she can hit with it once they get within range of her.

"Slippery slope at twelve-o-clock!" she shouts as she casts the spell on the bandits, careful not to get any of her newfound allies in the area of effect.

George meanwhile readies his longsword and prepares to deal with any of the bandits who got past.

Attack: (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow is that not in the players handbook? I never remember reading that before

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage (1d12+7)[14]
    Forgot you couldn't roll in an edit. XD

Edit:Also he'll still run forward through the grease spell, unless the bandits act first and decide to move towards them.
    Last edited by JupiterJazz; 2008-04-13 at 10:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check (1d20+8)[17]

Seeing the men come from the clearing malark drops into a chant.Finishing with a sweeping gesture of his arm a searing Orb of Electricity steaks toward the men.

Spoiler
    Show

ranged touch attack (1d20+3)[19]
    damage [roll]1d8[/roll]

edit the last roll didn't work for some resone.
    Last edited by seekerofshadowl; 2008-04-13 at 11:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Spoiler
    Show
    ok trying this again
    (1d8)[2]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

(( OOC: Outside the tavern.)) "I am from Deepingdale of the Dalelands. Among the wood elves of the land, your tale is not unknown."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (d20+7)[17]

Quinitich will use a move action to draw both her short sword and her hand crossbow. She will shoot the most immediate of threats. If within 30', add +1 to the attack and damage roll. If they are orcs or half-orcs, add another +2 to the damage roll.

Attack - (d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (d4)[2]

The elf stands her ground and draws out a short sword with her right hand and a fine hand crossbow with her left. Taking aim at the nearest enemy, she fires. As the bolt leaves, the crossbow automatically resets itself, and a new bolt slides out from the handle, ready to fire.

29. - Top - End - #119

Seems I for got Initiative sorry about that here it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15]

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterJazz View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow is that not in the players handbook? I never remember reading that before
    Spoiler
    Show
    same here man.