New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten Realms Game

"Good we are in agreement .Let us finish this up and call upon Thalatyr then.

2. - Top - End - #152

Before any approach could be decided on, a booming voice rang out.

"Hel-lo-o? Is anyone out there? Come in, come in, the door's open! I just so love visitors!"

This sounded nothing like what they had heard of Thalantyr. He was supposed to be reclusive and rude, with little regard for other people. What could possibly be going on?
    The above post is Vorpal, enjoy decapitation.

3. - Top - End - #153

Well you heared the man.maybe he'll have tea
    Malark starts off toward the wizards home.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Corth decided to stay out of the conversation. It didn't matter to him. Either way, Corth came out on top. Rob the miser, Corth would get rich. Talk to Thalantyr, complete the mission. Why look for chicken if there's mutton in front of you?

Corth heard the voice ring from the keep-like structure - Thalantyr's home - and was instantly on his guard. Powerful wizards rarely - if ever - invited you into their homes...
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2008-04-15 at 01:23 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Max

Max is also surprised by the invitation, he keeps his bow to hand as he follows the others towards the castle, keeping a careful watch out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+10)[20]

6. - Top - End - #156

Nothing seems amiss as the party enters the keep. As they enter the main room from the circular outer hallway, they see large pylons with crackling electricity around them, kept in check only by glass tubes. Two hulking flesh golems stood by the walls, wearing what appeared to be... aprons. From the opposite end of the room, a man in bright orange robes enters, arms wide in greeting.

"Hello! It's so nice to meet you! Aren't you just so precious, wiping out those bandits. I didn't even notice them, I've been so busy. I didn't realize my experiments have been so powerful as to grant powers to people outside. I just noticed when I heard the commotion outside. I did a quick Detect Magic and Beregost just lit up. Ever since I found that thing, I've been making magical items at an amazing rate. I even improved many of them. Here, have some as a reward for your hard work."

(quest XP gained: 1000, most of them items will be viewable at d20srd.org, they're all Wondrous Items)

Seren: Robe of Bones (cloak, all patches return every day)

George: Blade of the Undead Servant (custom item, +1 longsword that allows George to become a generic commoner as the Disguise Self spell at his master's will, though only that one form is possible, it also halves the effects of turning/rebuking/etc., grants +1 to AC and saving throws, and halves incoming magical damage, but the sword, and by extension, George, is sentient, Chaotic Neutral)

Malark: Robe of Useful Items (cloak, all patches return every day, the extra patches are: Mule, 2 Wooden Ladders of 24 ft., 10x10x10 Open Pit, 2 Rowboats, 2 2x4x2 Windows, 2 10x10 self-attaching Iron Doors, Portable Ram, 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds, a pair of War Dogs, and 2 minor scrolls of one randomly determined spell, chosen at random every time it is used and then regenerated)

Corth: Robe of Stars (cloak, shuriken regen every day)

Quin: Boots of Striding and Springing and Bracelet of Friends (charms regen one week after use)

Max: Slippers of Spider Climbing and Cape of the Mountebank

Aza: Minor Circlet of Blasting (special activation command: must hold hands in front of forehead, plams out, fingers apart, and yell "Searing Light!") and Necklace of Adaptation

Suddenly, a blast of magic nearly knocked Thalantyr over. Standing in the doorway was an elderly man in bright red robes and a pointed hat. It was Elminster.

"So, it looks like you accidentally reversed your own methods of thought with your tampering with the Nether Scrolls, eh, Thalantyr? That ought to have set you straight."

"Wha-? Hey! You need to pay for those, you blackguards! Think you can take advantage of me? You'll rue the day that you dared cross-"

"That's quite enough. The loss of those items is no fault of theirs. Perhaps now you'll use caution with your spells. Now, hand over that book of the Nether Scrolls."

"Fine, I've learned what I could from it, anyway."

After the Scrolls had been handed to Elminster, he turned to the party.

"You know, if you don't mind a bit of trouble, I've a job for you fellows, as you seem to have the qualities I'm looking for."

(note: if you guys think I may be laying it on too thick or going too fast, lemme know, I'd hate to screw this up with such simple problems)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Corth deftly caught the dark cloak as it was tossed to him. It was a dark bluish colour, almost black. Corth smiled his toothy smile as he felt the fabric of the cloth. As his hand passed over the star-patterns worked into the cloth Corth believed that they almost felt solid. If it was possible, Corth's face lit up like a Death's-Head Grin.

Well, looks like that was easy. Thalantyr was crating the magic bursts. But, with the Nether Scrolls? What in the Abyss are they? Ah well, Thalantyr can't do it anymore...
    "Sure, I've got time. Who can refuse Elminster?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to dish out magic items and XP as much as you like, as long as the candy-waterfall eventually stops, it'll be okay.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

Looking over the boots, Quinitich smiles. These are nice. Very nice. Such a gentleman... And flinches at the magical blast. Hand on her crossbow, she watches the exchange between magic wielders with a wary stance. Realizing the two would ignore her companions and her as long as each other was present, she puts on the bracelet, but declines to put on the boots until a more appropriate time. Nether scrolls?

"We would be more than happy to discuss the task. I'm sure there's something we can do regarding it, sir. What is it you had in mind?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The rewards are just fine, right now. I'm not a fan of the first few levels. I think characters start coming into their own (and surviving) at level three or four. And I like goodies.

The storytelling is good, too. I like the thematics.

Do we know how to use our newfound treasures? Do I know how to use my Bracelet of Friends?
    Characters [ Krad | Tinn ]

9. - Top - End - #159

(Knowledge: Arcana or similar Knowledge category at DC 10 to know each item, or Elminster will explain if asked, feel free to write his explanation yourselves)

"Ah, glad you can help. I'm afraid there'll be a bit of travel involved, but I can teleport us near our destination. I'm afraid that my direct presence will be only detrimental. There's a tavern in Tethyr, in a very small village, well off the beaten path. That's where you'll need to go. The owner has an item of immense power, and is thoroughly evil. She's likely flee town if she detected me within the limits of the town, and she's always looking for me. I'm afraid we have a bit of history, none of it good. You'll be looking for a set of scrolls, black on the outside. When you've finished, I'll know. As for rewards, I'm sure you all have something in mind."

Elminster gave a small chuckle. He seemed very kind, and surprisingly jovial for a man who has lived as long as he had.

10. - Top - End - #160

Malark looks at the old mage"As a humble servant of mystra I will do as you ask"

Spoiler
    Show
    arcane roll[roll]1d20+8[/roll]
    Last edited by seekerofshadowl; 2008-04-15 at 06:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

try again
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[18]

12. - Top - End - #162

Max

Max is very quiet at the sight of Elminster himself. Being from Shadowdale there are all sorts of stories about him, but Max has never met the Archmage before. Being asked directly to assist him is a little more than Max can handle. He mumurs his assent to help along with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Goodies are good, xp guud. Thing do seem to roll over a little quickly at the moment, but hoping this is to speed through the lower levels which is A-ok.

Incidentally, cape of the mountebank, where do I find details?

13. - Top - End - #163

(d20srd.org has info on all the items, which Malark can now explain to all of you, either explicitly OR implicity, but specifically, the Cape of the Mountebank allows you to Dimension Door once per day, with a cloud of smoke at the point where you depart and arrive, so perhaps a better name is Cape of the MounteBAMF! It's also very stylish, red with gold trim.)

14. - Top - End - #164

Max

Looking to the others for confirmation, Max plucks up the courage to speak to Elminster, "If I might so bold Archmage, I think we are ready to travel."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

Nodding in agreement, she steps up next to Maxwell. "We are, I believe. However... Sir, the task sounds like something this group is capable of, but I must ask before we depart... Whose scrolls are these, rightfully? We're not stealing, are we?" Glancing back at Malark, she adds "We are no thieves."

16. - Top - End - #166

"I assure you, the original owners of those scrolls died several centuries ago. The person who possesses them now found them in a crypt in Athkatla's graveyard through a sequence of events too long to describe. Needless to say, the scrolls are too dangerous to leave with her, as they, as you may have guessed, are another book of the Nether Scrolls. I've been attempting to collect them, so as to prevent dangerous wizards from abusing their power. Thankfully, the current owner has had such bad experiences with them, she won't even look at them. And in case you're wondering how I know this without having scared her into hiding, Scrying is a good spell to know."

With quick wink and a smile, Elminster Aumar cast Teleportation Circle, casting the entire party to a clearing several miles from their destination.

"Well, this is where I'll be leaving you. Any questions before I go to await your success? And yes, you may peruse the scrolls once they are safely away in my home. Detect Thoughts is another good spell to have handy, hehehe."

Elminster gave Malark a hearty pat on the back, somewhat stronger than one would expect for someone of his advanced age.

17. - Top - End - #167

Max

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I am assuming Malark has been able to explain the uses of the item we were given in the keep so no questions to Elminster on those. Any I had read cape as cloak, hence my difficulty.

Survival roll to determine direction of inn [roll]1d20+7[/roll]

After looking up at the sky in the clearing and sniffing the air Max pipes up, "Archmage, the tavern we are to investigate is in this direction?" He points in the direction he thinks is correct.
    Last edited by Rane126; 2008-04-16 at 06:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn dice roller (1d20+7)[14]

19. - Top - End - #169

[ooc guys malark is has a horse and many things on it i'm gussing were bring that indoors?]and adding this just to make the post long enuff go fig

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

She nods her head as Elminster explains the scroll's lack of ownership, accepting the explanation.

After teleporting, she turns to the archmage and asks "Sir, yes. These 'gifts', what are they? They're much too fine and... well what I'm trying to say is... are they magical?"

Giving a chuckle, Elminster looks at the bracelet and boots. "Magical indeed. The boots will put an extra spring in your step, no doubt. Nothing you have to do but put them on. The bracelet is something of another matter. See here," he says, pointing to the charms, "these charms allow you to summon designated people to you. You set the charms by holding it and concentrating on the person. You'll know when it's set, don't worry. Then, to summon that person, hold that charm and speak that person's name. If they're in the mood to see you, they'll appear. The charms take a week to recharge, so consider that."

Quinitich nods, understanding enough to be satisfied. "Thank you, sir." Leaving his attention, she finds a rock to sit on and put on the boots. Then, she focuses on the charms as Elminster finishes with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting the charms to Aza, Malark, Maxwell, and Corth.

21. - Top - End - #171

"Well, there's a road a few yards in that direction, head west on the road to reach the village. I'm afraid your target watches the road for several miles further than the forest, so I found this method more efficient. She learned many powerful scrying spells from the Nether Scrolls before their power backfired on her. Also, those of you with any large possessions or mounts should be pleased to know that they will be safely stabled or stored outside my home momentarily, unless you'd like them sent into town. And a word to the wise, don't comment on your target's looks, despite how attrative she may or may not seem, or you may find yourself permanently polymorphed, disintegrated, imprisoned, or all manner of other unfortunate states."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Seren

"Ah... so don't tell the Emperor what you think of their clothes, gotcha." Seren says with this last bit of advice.

She has already put on her new magic cloak and quickly surmised its function by the patches resembling undead she finds on it. She also gives George the magic Longsword and ordered him disguised as a commoner. With herself now suitably prepared, she is ready to go along with their mission.
    Last edited by Randel; 2008-04-17 at 01:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

23. - Top - End - #173

(DM Note: Don't forget, that sword George is packing now is intelligent, with a Chaotic Neutral alignment. Having no mind of his own, the sword is serving as a surrogate mind for the skeleton. Also, much like an intelligent weapon can conquer its wielder should a conflict arise and the wielder fail the save, George can be forced to follow the sword's orders. Fortunately, the sword is unpurposed, and you have matching alignments, so you can generate your own conflicts whenever it seems like fun. For a complete reference, check d20srd.org's Magical Item section, the intelligent weapon section is at the end.)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eleminster, hmm maybe my luck is changing! His eyes widen at the site of the great magus, he almost feels compelled to bow to the mage, but thinks better of it. He slides the necklace on, and conceals it in his armor, before placing the circlet on his head.

"Eleminster, it would be an honor to help you, but as for a reward, I have a much better request then wealth or magics." he tones with respect for the mage, "All I simply need is help getting back to Cormanthyr forest. I got caught in battle with a drow priestess, almost got the scummy strumpet too, but alas when I went to strike her down I ended up in gods know where, and have been making my way back to my homeland since." he ties the greataxe to his weapon strap seeing that the immediate dangers have passed, and continues "If I help with this task I'd like very much for aid for my people, they are hard pressed by those drow bastards, and even more so with me gone."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey guys my internet probably gonna be down for a week, but I'd like to come back and join back up with this campaign, so I was thinking we could say I went back to the forest and with the help of the harpers banished the drow then caught back up with you. If DM doesn't care if I come back.

25. - Top - End - #175

"Hm, that's quite reasonable. Some of the Harpers have been toying with the idea of intervening, but we were waiting for some outside factor to influence the decision, lest we accidentally shift the balance too far. Your case should do nicely. I'd accompany you myself, but I intend to study the Nether Scrolls after this, along with the mages of this group. You see, once this book is in my possession, I'll have finally collected all of them. I know, I suppose my reasons for obtaining them were slightly selfish, but for some reason, only the least pleasant of people seem to locate them. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be going, as one of you needs their mount stabled. I'll just keep it at my home for the time being, you'll hardly need it for the short walk down the road into town. It's only about two miles. Ta-ta."

And with a quick flash and a fluttering of robes, Elminster vanished.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Quinitich

Blinking at the mage's sudden exit, she stands up. Taking a moment to note how well the boots fit, she looks at the party. "Well, shall we?" Remembering to reset her charms, she begins walking int eh direction of the town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting the charms to Seren, Malark, Maxwell, and Corth.

27. - Top - End - #177

Max

Max falls in beside Quin walking towards town.

28. - Top - End - #178

(DM Note: I'll let you guys decide on this one, you have honest faces. Do you think the Bracelet of Friends should affect a character's familiars/skeletal minions?)

29. - Top - End - #179

[sorry guys i havent posted much may have bitten off to much but i'm here. on the familers well the skeleton and malarks staff has no mind so I would say no. the sword would be affected like everyone else...it makes saves too lol }

30. - Top - End - #180

(looks like the thread is slowing down a bit, so we needn't worry too much about losing anyone)