New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Crusade Against the Shade [IC] (GROUP 2)

------ William -----

William looks about tears in his eyes he carefully carries the body of his fallen comrade to the road side. With whispered prayers to Heironeous he cleans the body and prepares it for its final resting place. He carefully removes all items of value and lays them to the side. He removes his cloak and wraps the body in it so that the holy symbol of Heironious is centered on the chest. He then looks about and then finding a spot along the side of the road he begins to dig a grave for the fallen one.

Once the grave is dug he looks about and waits for the others to finish their tasks and allow them to say their private goodbyes.

He then carries the small body and lays it in the grave

Here we lay to rest one who sought knowledge, friendship and adventure. He was not afraid to bring light to the world and accept the duty of the task in brightening the life of those he interacted with. May his ancestors find his deeds worthy and accept him to their halls in the after life. We intern his earthly remains here in the earth so that his spirit may be free to roam the spirit world and find those places that call out to his nature and make him complete. We his companions shall sorely miss him as our duty carries us on with out him to make it lighter.

With his last words he gently tosses a handful of dirt into the grave.
    Latem Yvaeh

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

At the loss of Fenbiddle, Gabriel dropped his sword and fell to his knees. Holding his trembling hands before him, he quietly weeps to himself. I... I shouldn't have trusted the Goblin. Now... now one of ours has fallen. And at what cost? We haven't a name... a reason. My hands should've spilled his putrid blood... instead... instead a put stock and faith in a creature as vile and corrupt as he to seek retribution.

After the swells of combat end, Gabriel solemnly asks Heironeous for guidance in this quest. At the end of his prayer, Gabriel rises to his feet. He grasps his sword from the dirt and sheathes it across his back; when William starts to dig a grave for Fenbiddle, he helps in the endeavor. "I vowed to shield the innocent... to protect our companions. I've failed them, William. I failed, Fenbiddle."

With the dirt being piled upon the corpse, Gabriel removes a vial of Holy Water. He sanctifies the burial mound and says a prayer in Celestial.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lester, still trying to shake off the shock of this sudden death, doesn't come forward for any parting words, but silently waits in the back. He eyes the cowering goblins warily, not ready to underestimate them twice.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Argus looks up as Fenbiddle is put to rest and looks at the goblin bowing before him. "I give you permission to speak, if you require it from me... if you do not wish to then do one thing for me. To redeem yourself and your people, please throw but one handful of dirt on the grave as I do..." He stands up and walks over to Fenbiddle's grave, looking back at the goblin as he does.
    The crusader unsheathes his sword and lays it flat on the ground parallel to the grave, going down on his knees and putting his hands together. "Lost to the other side before his time, a friend and ally I had the misfortune of not knowing for long enough. Cinis cineris ut cinis cineris, pulvis ut pulvis." He takes a handful of dirt and throws it into the grave.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Goblin only looks up when Argus turns from him. He gets slowly to his feet and walks over to the corpse of his former leader, and scoffs. He picks up the dagger that had been used against the gnome, and carried it, opened palm to the grave site. He waits until Argus spoke his words, then tossing the dagger into the grave, and then begrudgingly picks up a hand-full of dirt and tosses it down as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

Sitting next to a tree on the forest edge, Gabriel watches the Goblin pick up the dagger and approach Argus. As a reaction his hand goes to the hilt of his sword, he's about to rise when the Goblin tosses the dagger into the grave and adds dirt, he smirks. Perhaps all of this endeavor was not in vain. There may be hope for us yet...

With this he rises to his feet and approaches the group. "As grieved as we all are by the loss of Fenbiddle, there are still countless innocents who may be endangered by future raids. We came here to discover the source of these attacks. With Fenbiddle gone, our resolve now should be stronger than before..." He looks to William, "What should our next move be, William?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

---- William ----

William looks around and then walks slowly to Riona, We will leave you to say goodbye to your friend when you feel ready come and join us I am going to question the survivor. He nods meaningfully toward the goblin.

He then walks over to Gabriel My friend he was an adventurer he knew the risks and chose to take them up to defend those even weaker than himself the best you can do is honor that memory and see that his final quest is completed with duty and honor. With that said when Riona finishes her goodbyes please help her gather his things so we can bring them with us. Once we reach the Temple again we can turn them over to be returned to his family.

Finally he walks over to the Goblin he looks at him and says, You did your duty to your leader which is a good start on the path to Heironeous. Redemption for past misdeeds is another step in the right direction. We will be burning the bodies of your comrades that did not flee if you care to say words over them feel free. Once we are done we will ask you some questions. With a nod to Argus Please help him to understand we need information on the change in tactics and who is ultimately leading these forces. (Anyone got a good Latin Translator, my Latin is rusty and mostly confined to sections of the Roman Catholic mass)

for those who speak Celestial
    Spoiler
    Show

Remember his duty may be to lie to us if it is we may need to send him on to his gods with the honor he has earned by refusing to speak to us. So if you have any power to convince him please use it.
    Latem Yvaeh

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

Catching every word from William, Gabriel removes his gauntlets and approaches the Goblin removing bread and cheese from his backpack. We may not speak the same language. Yet generosity is a universal tongue... I hope.

As he nears the Goblin, he kneels down to meet him eye-to-eye. He breaks the bread and cheese in-half and extends a hand holding each toward him. Making sure the Goblin wasn't weary of a trap, Gabriel takes a bite of each before the Goblin.

"I fear that the words I speak to you may fall on deaf ears; however, I do believe you surrendered for a reason. Your heart doesn't hold the same evil that your Master's held. I believe, within you, lies a kind spirit. One that bring a lot of good into this world. I'm approaching you now as a simple man seeking to assure his friend didn't die in vain. We need help... and... and you are the only one who can help us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[23]

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Lester watches the "holy men" with a mixture of surprise and anger, as they take it a bit too easy (in his opinion) on the scums that had just murdered one of their companions in cold blood. He takes a step forward, but manages to confine his feelings, if not with some difficulty.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Argus nods to William when given his instruction. He then smiles when he sees Gabriel eat and takes some of the dried meat trail rations from his own haversack, ripping in in half with just a little difficulty and handing it to the goblin. "With that you have the makings of a sandwich." He smiles, with just a bit of sadness in his expression for the loss of Gibdinn, but joy in the fact that the goblin hasn't yet run.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

The Goblin replies in well-pronounced, but heavily accented Common:

"Excuse me if I do not pity you for your loss, but I have lost more of my companions to all of you today than you have lost to me. You claim that my leader was evil, and that you are good, but you yourself said that within me lies a kind spirit. What of my companions you have slain so thoughtlessly, were they beyond redemption simply because you deem it so? Is slaughter of the innocents acceptable in your moral code? or is it only alright because we're 'goblins' "

Despite being out-sized, out-numbered and out-armed, he stands defiantly, his gaze slowly shifting from William to Gabriel.
    Last edited by Regord_Silentflame; 2008-06-10 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Text Formatting
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

Gabriel smiles at the Goblin's speech. "Your speech alone alofts the chivalry I thought was within you. While I am regretful and sorry for the loss of your companions, I cannot apologize for their demise. Both your Leader and your Peers I approached with the same offering. I beseeched them to lay down their weapons; to embrace a life of valiancy and abandon a life of fear and corruption." He solemnly looks up to the Goblin, careful to remain seated to avoid confusion of a power struggle. "Everyone deserves a shot at redemption; however, it is up to the individual to choose the path they walk. Your comrades chose their fate... you chose another. It's for this reason we ask you to assist in our endeavor. Help us put an end to the one who is giving the word 'Goblin' a foul intonation. We won't take you as a captive, but rather, as a companion."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Argus is suddenly and unpleasantly humbled by the goblin's words. His expression goes from warm and sad to sickly pale... as if caught in the act of a terrible deed that he only now knows of himself. "Dear... gods..."
    He turns his head fast at the new words of Gabriel, "Gabriel! How can you speak such words! We've... done something terrible. Utterly terrible... We laid our weapons upon the flesh of the goblins. The goblins were the family of this goblin! His companions, just as we were to make him ours! It would have been easy to disarm them... but we shed their blood and forgot our hearts." He clenches his fist as he looks at the ground and tries his best to hold himself to the ground below the goblin's eye level. "I am honor bound to you. I spoke of redemption for yourself, but it truly is us that requires it. We spoke of nobility but showed only violence. I will now take your as my apprentice, treat you as my prince, and guard your life with my own." He undoes the shortsword and it's sheath from his belt and gives it to the goblin. "Beatus nos erant , redemptor nos must fio."

For speakers of Celestial.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blessed we were, redeemed we must become.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

Gabriel looks to Argus and the Goblin. "Argus, I cannot apologize for their fate. I made an effort to disarm two of his comrades. One of them fled into the woods and I didn't give chase. The other, well, our loss of Fenbiddle is evidence of the darkness lying within its' heart." At this Gabriel rises to his feet, unsheathing his sword. "All few times has this blade felt the warmth of blood. I make a conscious effort to disarm a foe and offer them the alternative of a life of light. As I said, I extend the offer to those corrupted in the ways of evil... if it is not accepted with an open heart... then there's no other option but to defend oneself."

"Nex est a secui of vita. Recipero is animadverto tunc vos can verum fio illustrator."

Celestial Speakers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death is a part of life. Accept this reality and then you can truly become enlightened.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

----- William ----

William walks back from the wood line carrying a large armload full of branches and logs. He then gathers dry brush from the surrounding area and builds a pyre for the slain goblins. He listens as Argus and Gabriel speak to the goblin. And smiles at the goblins reply. He then gathers the goblins fallen comrades he slowly strips them of their armor and weapons again laying them in neat piles. He again cleans the corpses and lays them upon the pyre.

He then looks over at the goblin captive. Your comrades fought valiantly for what they believed, they choose their Duty and carried it out as a cleric of Heironeous I can respect that decision. As with every conflict there are those that accept the cost of their actions and those that flee them. We honor these fallen for accepting the cost of duty. May they find their just reward in the afterlife.

But as a defender of the peace of the land let me ask you this, imagine that there is a goblin land with villages, roads and treaties with its neighbors. The goblin king comes to you and reports an increase in bandits threatening the peace he has established. To protect all the goblins he sends you out to investigate and you are attack by a group of bandits the bandits refuse to surrender and then attack you and your comrades. Do you temporize and abandon your duty to your land and just let them get away with it. Of course not you offer them the chance to surrender and when they do not you punish them for their crime.

Now I know that may people view goblins as being less than people calling them monsters so they can justify the whole sale slaughter of them but I tell you this I treat all intelligent beings as people and give them the chance to prove their intentions. Had you and your friends been elves or orcs and acted in the manner which you did the outcome would have been the same. Your actions dictated a response from us I am responsible for how I chose to respond but you and your leader are responsible for putting yourselves in the roll of the bandits.

He then lights a torch and hands it to the Goblin

Please feel free to honor your comrades in word then set their pyre alight. If it is your custom to send them off with their weapons let me know and I will add a weapon for each one of them to the pyre.
    Latem Yvaeh

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Riona had collapsed after letting go of the arrow, her horse lightly nudging her with her muzzle. Riona had fallen towards the ground with her head down, her hair flowing over her face concealing it from the light. She slowly gathered up her weapons, sheathing her sword and placing her bow on her back. She gathered up the strength to not pound the one goblin that was still alive.

She stood slowly and walked over to her fallen companion's body/grave and tilted her head down. She regaled great tales of what he said to her, in her head, maintaining her composure as she tried to reach out and bring the dead back to her with her mind.

She pined at her loss but then lay a few flowers down around the grave, saying peaceful words in Abyssal- the only other language she knew (besides Goblin). She wanted it to be a more private matter. She somehow Abyssal sound beautiful and holy as she slowly moved about the grave. She was on her knees slowly and carefully adorning the grave.

Maybe Fenbiddle was just making a joke to later jump out and say surprise. Yet she knew in the back of her mind that it would not happen. Her horse had wandered over towards her, nuzzling her again. Riona pushed the horses muzzle away from her face with her hand. She stood up, brushed off her knees, and handed the horse a carrot. She then got up onto her horse and planted herself firmly in the seat.

"Let's go," she said shortly as she rode slowly pass them in a light trot. She stopped a few meters ahead of them, turned and looked back, waiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the Goblin isn't going to do anything- he should at least lead us to more Goblins.. >> Riona would of course talk to him in Goblin about leading them somewhere. If by chance he comes with. So really it depends on the Goblin- so I guess this post will be edited later???
    Don't bother me, I'm D&D-ing

17. - Top - End - #167

The Goblin watches the interactions between the different party members with interest. When William tells him his plans for the fallen goblins, he turns to him and responds.

"They were my companions in arms, but they were not my friends. You are the ones who defeated them, and so it is your honor to chose how they will be remembered. As long as you can accept that they were valiant warriors on the losing side of a battle, and not vermin to be exterminated, I will help you in your quest. I don't know what's going on, our leaders do not inform us why we do what we do, but I don't think it's good for our race. I can try my best to help you stop what's happened to us, and return to normal
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

---- William ----

William nods to the goblin. He then walks over to the pyre Here lay the dutiful dead they chose duty over dishonor and so we send them to the next world where they will be judged by their gods and their kin. May they find their just reward. with that he lights the pyre ensuring it catches blaze and will burn down to ash.

He walks over to the spoils of the battle in the neat piles were he dressed the dead. Heironeous please grant me the sight of the colors of magic. He gazes at each pile identifying any magical items. Once he is done he reaches down and separates out the magical items from mundane. He then looks over to Riona Would you like me to Identify Fenbiddle’s magical gear?

If she does I will do the same for that gear

Once that is done he follow Riona down the road attempting to console her on the loss of her friend.
    Latem Yvaeh

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm having some internet problems for a period of time and my posting rate has dropped because of that.

Lester, still taking the rear, watches the interaction with awe, partly from the alien (to him) behaviours of his companions, and partly from the intelligence of the goblin. He does his best to not lose his focus though, and keeps up with the group, eyeing every direction possible.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gabriel

Gabriel smiles at the Goblin's remark. He cleans the blade of his sword and places it back to the sheath on his back. Approaching the pyre he says a prayer for the Goblin's fallen comrades, then rests, looking to the sky until they were ready to venture forth.

21. - Top - End - #171

DruidGirl

"Let Fenbiddle lay, maybe his magic will bring him back to us one day. If not then it was already foretold to be this way," she said casting a backwards glance. "I do not need your pity, I will find my own way. Thank you William."

She pushed the group onwards, forcing the goblin out in front, "Lead us, little one," she said in Goblin. 'Little one' was her form of respect however she had very little. However, she assumed that being nice to the Goblin would fair better than the alternative.

She lead the group forward, hoping to not encounter more Goblins, for if she did within this day she would slaughter them for their evil. She rode on; her gaze on the road ahead. The adventure she was about to crack open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes- I am assuming all Goblins are Evil. :P Deal with it.
    Oh and I'll be away for awhile. I'll keep in touch with the DM and if I can I will post otherwise I'm handing my control over to him. :D

22. - Top - End - #172

(OOC: Sorry, for reasons I do not understand, I haven't been able to access the forums for a few days.
    Question: where do you all intend to go from this point? Are you going to let the goblin lead you?)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't like Goblins but might as well. So lead on Goblin man!!!

24. - Top - End - #174

Alright, the forums are back up, so now I can take action.

Everyone who's still here, send me a message, or make a reply. I'm going to be joining groups together to make up for the lost players, so if you don't respond, you're going to be left out.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

William

I follow Riona as she lets the goblin lead us on.
    Latem Yvaeh

26. - Top - End - #176

My internet's buggy, and I can't type a long message. I'll try again tommorow.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177

(Alright, from the looks of it, there's only a couple of people still active in each group, so I'm thinking of merging them all together into one group of 6, which should actually be a nice party, with a sorcerer and a cleric. I have to figure out how I'm going to merge the players, and the storylines.)
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

(I've figured out what I'll do with the groups)

"Alright, I will take you to the head of my 'horde', so that you can finish your task, but I will warn you that he is even more stubborn than the man you just killed" He says, then leads your group.

(For now that is it. I'm going to give those of you left until tomorrow to talk over anything you want to say to each other before you reach your destination)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

After about a quarter day's travel, a city appears on the horizon, and your guide turns to you all "The day's getting late, so let us rest up"

He leads you to the city gates, but as you get closer, you can see that the ground is littered with fresh corpses, and the guards hail the goblin:
    "Goblin! If you come in peace, stand your ground!, and to that he stands still, and holds his hands in the air.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

----- William -----

William holds his ground and speaks out to the City Guard
    Greetings we come in peace I am William Cleric of Heironeous these are my traveling companions. I am from the Temple of Heironeous in the city of Hirdam. We are investigating the issues with the Trade Routes and the goblin is currently under our protection while he guides us to his leader. I see that you have had some recent difficulties is there anything I can do to help? If not mayhap you can help us as the more information we gather about the changes in the tactics of the raiders in this region the sooner we can figure out a way to stop it.

With that he sits back on his mounts and waits for the guard to decide what to do.
    Latem Yvaeh