New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Sumner Kesh
    seeing the cache of weapons and heads, suspicions begin to form in Sumner's mind...
    Hmm. Has Azakan chosen bad company with these two? Mercenaries are one thing, but scavengers, cannibals and possibly murderers... He watches the Darven with a more unfriendly eye.
    Keeping his mind at the topic at hand, however, he speaks.
    "You accept the burden of being Emperor, then?" He gazes at Azakan carefully, trying to get a sense of his thoughts...
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+8)[9]
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven grinned at the familiar feel of his magical steel mace, and the faint static charge in the air as it crackled with electricity in his meaty grasp.

"Ha-ha! My old mace! I can't believe it! Excellent. This weapon has served me well for a VERY long time. How can I repay you for finding it?"

Remembering Sumner's ancestral swords, his expression grew a bit more serious.

"Sumner, perhaps you should check to see if your weapons are in that cache as well."

Turning back to Azakan, he looked slightly confused.

"Does the crown have powers of some sort? Why do you need it so badly? Why not just declare yourself emporer now? I'm sure the people would flock to your side."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner rubs his eyebrow with one green hand.
    "Draven," he says, a little wearily, "I would have thought you of all people would understand; Not everyone wants the Empire back in any way. Qusa, the Mokai kingdoms, the Khadothi... those that are independent now will be loath to give it up, and you may be sure that every archmage will fight tooth and nail until it becomes clear that his Lordship's side is the winning one. It will take time. "
    He looks at Azakan questioningly,
    "I believe that his Lordship plans to move towards the next step of fulfilling this prophecy we have all heard. But that will be made more difficult if rumor of it has reached the pretender; he will be watching, once news of the traitor's death reaches him."
    Sumner stands, then, touching the sunburst on his forehead.
    "Your Lordship, I do not speak for only myself when I thank you for slaying the one who betrayed the Sire of the Empire."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's face grew serious.

"Oh, believe me. I understand. Free people do not wish to be ruled, myself and my people included. Not only do we not wish to be ruled, we REFUSE to be ruled - sometimes even by our own elders. But being ruled and being led are two different things. From what you're saying, Sumner, I take it that his lordship's brother must be... Taken out of the equation before anyone will consider following Azakan - whether as a coalition to destroy Anarazel, or as an empire?"

His brow furrowed.

"Hmm. Can anyone think of any reason to attempt assassinating Sumner... OTHER than to stop the prophecy? Because I can't. And that tells me that the opposition DEFINITELY knows."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

That Dar Ven. He keeps looking at us. I wonder what his problem is.

Ismal offers a rejoinder to Draven's analysis.

I had always assumed that it was someone who knew about his, ah, transformation. Which might suggest an extra-planar knowledge, but not necessarily prescience.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

The mercenary looks at Draven for a few seconds, his expression as unreadable as before. Then he says: Why does weapon mean so much to you? Is just tool. You want to show gratitude? Help bring those four back to life then.

Azakan looks confused at the things the rest of you are saying. Sorry, what prophecy are you talking about? And what's this about assassinating Sumner? I mean, yes Sumner, of course I accept being Emperor, it's not like I have a choice, but I want to know what you are talking about with this prophecy first.
    Watching him carefully, Sumner realises that:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Azakan is quite clearly lying through his teeth. He doesn't really intend to be Emperor... and when he asks about the prophecy and Sumner being assassinated, he isn't curious at all. He already knows something about this...

He turns to the Dar Ven. What about you? Will you help us?
    Tharok looks at Bren, and Bren frowns. Azakan, you are man of destiny but also of honour. You understand I must keep word I gave to have them raised if I can do so. We going to see priests? If not, show me the way, give me a horse. Tell me where to meet you. This is something I need to do. I promised.
    The Dar Ven pauses for a moment before he continues. This is important. I could have left them behind, made off with the loot. But that is .... the resonable thing to do. What wolf would do. But wolf is evil. Bring them back? Is foolish, wolf would scoff. So is right thing to do. I lost my strength of arm, fighting demon. I was strong man once. But maybe I need find .. other kind of strength. Strength to do things because they are right. Not because they are reasonable.
    Azakan nods, as if he knows exactly what Bren means. Bren, I promise you, I will have your friends raised. After we get the Imperial Crown, we will have to find a certain, very powerful priest. If anyone has the power to raise them, it is him, I've seen him raise people from just a pinch of ash from their burned corpses. So will you two help me?
    He turns to the rest of you. And as I said, what are these prophecies?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner rubs his chin, his demeanor indicative of an age far exceeding his appearance. He looks troubled as he gazes at his would-be sovereign.
    Surface Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

What game are you playing at, Azakan? Why are you still running from your responsibilities? Will I have to be watchdog on both fronts? And did you think to cut down Sumner Kesh before he could try and lead you to your throne? Troubling.

Aloud, however, he says
    "You may remember a few days ago when we crossed paths; Just the day before, the Goublan vessel we rode in was attacked by a group of Mal Hong assassins. Specifically, they were targeting me. We learned a little from one of the assassins before we dispatched them, but not enough to know for sure. This surprises me, because my...transformation had become apparent just the day before that. 'Kill the green-skinned one,' he'd said."
    Sumner sighs, setting his jaw.
    "But this old soldier is a little more concerned about your own safety, your Lordship. If you don't know of the prophecy, then why must you go immediately to slay the pretender? He will be expecting you."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan thinks, his hand over his mouth. Hmmm... he says, half to himself, Mal Hong makes sense, why would they know, or care that much? I suppose it would be bad for them politically if Davethra was united. But that doesn't explain how they know...
    He looks back up at Sumner. But what is this prophecy you're talking about anyway? Why would Ravan expect me? He thinks I'm his insane prisoner anyway.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-28 at 10:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Interesting, Azakan, you may prove to be uniquely suited to rule Daventhra. I wonder if you know we serve parallel goals?

Re-binding his hair once more, the Zhan attempts to look less like a wild desert fanatic. "Shortly after returning from Goramesh we were given this prophecy:" Kaleff's eyes narrow, and his voice takes on a rolling, evenly metered resonant tone.
    "The King of Devils will attack his own Empire three days after he meets his companion in death.
    One day later, the Dog that bit its Master will die, by the machinations of the Master's son.
    The Master's son will try and take the world himself, but he has a choice. Justice or Tyranny? And his self-appointed advisor is the Host of the Demon-God, you shall know him for he is the One Who Seeks Justice.
    Yet the Demon-God would have him be a Tyrant.
    The Day before this day, the youngest son of the Master will die, his war over by the hand of the Double of the Lorekeeper. This leaves the door for his brother to take the world.
    This is the future. You do not have much time
    ." The Zhan shrugs, "Prophecies are made to be taken with some salt, but you can see why we have been concerned with Sumner's... progress." Eyes sweeping to the warriors plumage now return to Azakan, "But Ravan; does he think you are mad because you also have been doubled?"
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-04-28 at 12:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal forces emotion from her voice, and gives an aspect of nonchalance.

Of course, if all the aspects of the prophesy are coming to pass, then your work is already done, Azakan. Ravan is dead, by some Lorekeeper's clone or somesuch. Yesterday, if I'm understanding correctly.

Which means that the invasion began...four days ago.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren exchanges a glance with Tharok, then he nods.
    Very well, he says to Azakan. You are man of honour. You slew the dog that bit it's master to avenge your father, like a good son should do. And you will slay this .. pretender... who is this man anyway? How could he seize the throne?
    But if you give your word, this is good enough for me.

Yes... Azakan drums his fingers on the table. My father was Emperor, "Master". His general, Khadoth, assassinated him. And I killed him, yesterday. So that would be me. And my advisor... he looks at Bren with a calculating look. Yes... and the prophecy says I get a choice. That's good to hear, though I'm not sure I believe it.
    You know, I heard some soldiers yesterday saying that they'd heard Anarazel, the Devil-King of Cadralan, had vanished along with most of the Devils in Cadralan, a few days ago. They were on alert. Apparently, their commander told them it was thought Anarazel was going to attack the Kumari empire, but they were preparing just in case he attacked Khadoth instead. Azakan leans back. Anarazel was known for claiming, strangely, to actually be Thalgor Darkblood, the famous Kumari God-Emperor who vanished about 10 years ago. So that would be a case of the King of Devils attacking his own Empire.
    It would be good if Ravan was already dead, though that might make finding the crown harder.

But what's this thing about doubles? You said something about it a moment ago Lady Pennifar.

He leans forward, intently. But where did you get this prophecy? With prophecy, it's always important to remember that someone wrote it. What did that person want? What's their angle, their motivation? Can they be trusted? And most importantly, how do they know all this stuff? Maybe they just came up with a load of mystical-sounding crap and we're interpreting it to mean what we think.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    poker-faced, Sumner nods.
    "Yes. Prophecies are very easy to fabricate, Your Lordship, and very useful if they are believed."
    Sumner looks at Azakan carefully for a moment. Did he really not know the consequences of the amulet's destruction?
    "Your Lordship, Perhaps you do not know what happened when the amulet was broken. I have been told by an Aelf of my acquaintance that the amulet was a bridge, or a window between the world, and" he hesitates for a moment, "A world slightly different. When the amulet was shattered, the other world was destroyed, but from it came some refugees. The devil Anazarel is one, but so were those of us that were...trapped in the tunnel at the time. All of us exist again in the world, although our counterparts are...often quite different."
    Sumner thinks for a moment about the Sumner Kesh he met on the way to Halgarth. Would he really have grown so soft if he'd remained an oathsworn in the Empire? No, it was impossible to say. That Sumner was not him; just an old man full of regrets and weariness.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan raises one eyebrow. How strange... I did know it was a bridge to a world slightly different, I was going to summon troops from there. But that there are strange doubles of you all out there... bizarre. Perhaps this "double of the lorekeeper" is something to do with that? He thinks for a moment. You remember that noble, Orin? He had lots of lore and knowledge. Perhaps it's his double. Actually... he leans his head back slightly, looking at you all. I see Sumner, Khorik, and Kaleff here. Except that Sumner has turned green and lost several decades. And Kaleff and Khorik have scars. Who else was there? Orin, Hern... he thinks a moment. Gareth. That midget woman, uh, Kizima? Cofaos, the noble? Where are they all now?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-29 at 09:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner glances at Kaleff for a moment, then supplies what knowledge he has.
    "I traveled with Orin and Gareth for a while, but I lost track of them when I was killed and sent to Goramesh. I believe I saw Kizima in the Bronze Cauldron, but I don't know where she went from there. Hern was killed with me, but he struck his own path in Goramesh, and I don't know if he made it out." Sumner lists the names he mentions on his fingers.
    "Cofaos I do not know about. Do you, Kaleff?"
    A memory occurs to the tall plumed warrior.
    "Anazarel asked me many questions about those of us whose doubles exist here. Khorik's double is dead, I believe" he nods towards Ismal and Draven, "I think Gareth's double was at Halgarth too, although I'm not certain. It seems far more likely that he would be the lorekeeper's double, as a guild wizard. Orin told many stories, but I do not think he was very much of a scholar, whatever he might act. My own is an old man, retired and senile in Qusa. Hern's double we killed. I do not know about the others, only that Anazarel wanted to know more of them."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-04-29 at 09:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan stares at Sumner, open-mouthed. When you were killed and sent to Goramesh? What the ****? he shouts in shock.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-04-29 at 09:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal nods and speaks softly under Azakan's outburst.

Imagine how we felt about it.

It was at that tavern in Qusa, several weeks ago. There was a massive explosion of dark energy, and the four of us - plus Hern - were ripped away bodily to the plains of bone in Goramesh. Charming place. Hoping to build a villa there in my retirement.

Lord Azakan, may I ask the nature of your past associations with Anarazel?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner blinks at Azakan's outburst, then nods.
    "Ah, I didn't mention that. I apologize, your lordship; premature death is starting to lose its novelty for me.
    Lady Pennefar speaks truly; I believe the 'other' Hern was a follower of one of..."
    he waves a hand "One of the old demon gods, I think. No matter, we had to escape hell, and here we are now."
    Sumner falls quiet again, apparently mulling things over.

Surface Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Why does Azakan pretend he doesn't know the prophecy? The only advantage I could see would be to make it seem more valid; as if his actions were unconsciously-aligned with it. But then he questions its source...Unless he knows what I suspect, I can see no reason to do it. The matter of the assassins troubles me still...but for the moment, pressing would serve little.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Associations? I don't have any, I've never even been to Cadralan. He smiles wryly. Shocking as it may seem, a country run by an insane Devil who thinks he's a famous hero God-Emperor is not the sort of place I like to spend my time.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner weighs his thoughts.
    "Perhaps. But I myself am convinced that the two of them are what they say; from the world destroyed. I'm not sure that changes much. He, like other refugees, have quietly killed and replaced their counterparts in the world.
    "

He nods to Azakan,
    "We met Anazarel and Abraxis, just shortly after escaping Goramesh." He smiles, a little grimly,
    "Besides...you didn't think I'd stay put in Hell when there was still work for me to do for the Empire, did you? Dead I may have been, but I am still far from finished."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-04-29 at 12:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, smiles Azakan. Now, if you could tell me where you got this prophecy?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

I would freely acknowledge that the source lacks any corroboration, Lord. It was left imprinted in an object in Adornaxis' castle, apparently left for us to find by the Wandering Prophet.

Unfortunately, this is a figure the details of whom I am sketchy at best. Although...

She turns to Kaleff and Sumner.

Others may be more familiar with his work.

22. - Top - End - #112

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Insides roil and suddenly light headed, the Zhan's chair squeals against the stone floor. A whole world? A whole world? Would he lie? Probably not, there's no point. Probably wouldn't even if there was. I thought it was just a portal, a way to summon the demons of our past. Not... not another whole realm. Reflexively, Kaleff starts to make the sign of the Scythe, but cuts himself short. What have you asked of me, Imshaeroth, why was this required?

"Cofaos, Cofaos is dead," dull-eyed, Kaleff sits for a moment. "Dragon. Attacked us before we made it to, to the tavern." Slumping back, he exits the conversation for the moment, eyes distant. A whole world...

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Concerned for Kaleff, Ismal glances over at the enigmatic man, and frowns. Her thoughts creep hesitantly to him.

Are you all right, Kaleff? I felt a malicious presence as we first came in.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry to hear that, says Azakan gravely. I only knew Cofaos for a short while, but Cofaos struck me as an honest man.
    There's an awkward silence for a moment.
    Bren frowns and stares at Sumner for a moment, then at the others.
    You say you died and went to Goramesh? How you get out? Who raised you back to life?
    He keeps his expression neutral but you can see that his right hand is near his mace.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's hand tightened on his old mace, still in his hand from before. The familiar feel of its grip almost tingling in his fingers.

"We weren't resurrected. In fact, we're not even entirely sure if we died, or simply transported there. I was hoping Livina could tell us, when we found her again, but I guess it looks like SHE'S the one who needs it now. We got out through a portal controlled by Anarazel. The price was to do a favor for him - the delivery of a message to Adornaxis. That's why we were at Ziggurat - delivering it. We fulfilled our end of the bargain, he fulfilled his, and rewarded us with the junky, leftover magic items he and his army had no use for - the item that gave us the prophecy was among those which we chose from a massive vault filled with them. Then he tried to force us to stay in the country, and we... well, we left obviously, and I believe I permanently disfigured a man who tried to stop us.

Lord Azakan, what must be done to take the crown from your brother? Do you believe building allies to your cause and to Davethra ahead of time could be valuable when it comes to winning the favor of the Archmages? My father sat on the council of Elders for many years... It's possible we could persuade my clansmen to support Davethra in battle, especially with the rising threat of the Devil-King."
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-04-29 at 09:22 PM.
    Runa Redgrave

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    The young green warrior nods. He looks pointedly at the Darven's weapon, and then back up at the man himself, crossing his own arms. There's a particular intensity in his eyes not seen earlier, Like a hippogriff watching a goblin wander too close to its nest of eggs.
    "Draven has the truth of it. In one moment, we were left naked and burned on a field of human bones. From there, we had to scavenge," The word leaves Sumner's mouth with some distaste.
    "And then barter passage out. It was eventful, but perhaps it's a story for a different time."

Surface Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Although Sumner's outward appearance is terse, his inner thoughts are jarringly intense.
    Don't you DARE, barbarian. Cannibal. Lawless. I will not have this meeting with the future Emperor turn into a slaughter because of your ignorance. So help me, if he draws, I'll send him to ask the demons himself

27. - Top - End - #117

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Opening his mind, Kaleff allows the wash of emotions to reach her. I... I didn't know, Ismal. It was supposed to close the portal the demons were about to pour out of, but... a whole world. I may still have done it, it may have been necessary, but, the Zhan finally gets his eyes to focus, bringing them to bear on the sorceress, I would have known, it would have been my decision. Mournful eyes losing a little of their glassy edge, he inhales. Turning back to the others, Kaleff finds some distraction in business. Now, what is this presence you felt? Through the amulet, or on your own?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

On my own. A presence, scrabbling at me mentally for a moment. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren and Tharok seem confused by all this. Bren's gaze eventually fixes on Kaleff. He stares at the Zhan for a few long seconds, then he speaks.
    I not know what you talk about. What destroyed world? But I say, destroying a world is not merciful. Wiser man then me once said: Justice without mercy is tyranny. Do you seek justice, Zhan?
    Azakan suddenly freezes, looking straight ahead. Then he slowly turns to look, piercingly, at Bren. Then he looks back at the table. He smiles slightly, and looks into Sumner's eyes. But somehow Sumner gets the impression that Azakan isn't looking at him, but rather at something behind his eyes. You can't control everything. I still have a chance.
    He leans back onto his seat, thinking. So this prophecy is from a magical item you found on a junkheap. And the prophecy is supposed to be from one of the Wandering Prophets. I know of them, interfering busy-bodies, but they mean well. I've talked to one before. And they do truly see the future. But that doesn't mean this item really comes from one.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

The woman waves a hand dismissively.

Then forget the details. If you don't want to believe that Ravan is dead, by all means, check for yourself. The heart of the prophesy is not that all is pre-determined, but that everything is about to hang very much on a choice. And it seems clear, prophesy or no, that it seems likely to be your choice.