New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Ismal

Ismal turns to listen to the warrior's calm litany, and says nothing. The plumage, the green skin, the hunger for conquest. It was all there. And now, he would merrily prod his emperor back towards the bloody path of conquest.

She simply stands, appalled.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren looks at Azakan for a long moment. Then he speaks up:
    To use the power of the crown, it is the easy way, the reasonable way. Wolf choose this. You do not use crown? Then there will be fighting, dying, much blood flying. But do you need an empire? Your people are Davethrans. Leave the Qusan alone, and the Mokai and all others. You no longer need to quest for more souls to sacrifice. Dragon Lady is right. If Empire is only built on force and evil, is not worth it. Take the crown, show it to the archmages and destroy it. Then give them choice: Give them chance to make their live mean something. Maybe they accept. Then life is good. If they refuse, fighting will break out. But better die fighting for what you believe in then live without hope.
    Azakan, wolf preys on gazelle. So wolf is master of gazelle? But what would wolf eat without gazelle? It is predator who is at mercy of prey. Not the other way around. What would nobles do without peasant providing for them? Die they would, simply. One needs the other for living. Make sure they all learn this truth. Then life will be good again.

Turning to Ismael, Bren adds You are talking words of wisdom. I hope, you mean true. And not only for Pennefar people.

Wisdom? Azakan's hands start to shake, his eyes start to water, on the edge of frustated tears. Why do none of you understand? It's right there in front of you. You talk about Khadoth, Qusa, the Mokai... you, he says pointing at Draven, talked about your people earlier. Why don't you see? He points at Ismal. You're blinded by hope, and by the culture you were raised in, the culture Gothul created.He points at Sumner. You're blinded by Ne'sha, the lies that Gothul wrote to make people want to serve his plans, and what's more there's... He pauses, then waves at Bren. You're the closest, because you're the only one who hasn't been brought up to believe Gothul's lies. But you desperately want hope as well, I don't know why. You think you can grasp it, but it lies to you. Don't any of you see? The solution is to just... suddenly, Azakan chokes. He can't speak, can't even move his mouth properly. His entire body freezes up, the only movement is to shake. Then it stops just as quickly as it started. Azakan's hand punches down on the table. Damn you! he shouts. He collapses on his chair, sobbing, his hands over his face. Why do you do this to us? Why won't you let me be free?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-02 at 03:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner watches Azakan's fit, concerned, starting forward as he shakes.
    "Azakan! What's wrong?"
    As he recovers somewhat, the green-skinned warrior slowly takes a seat.
    "It seems that we have been doing too much of the talking Azakan. Clearly you have something to tell us." He tilts his head to one side "Or are you unable, Your Lordship?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Bren's words seemed to calm her down, and she is about to respond when Azakan has his outburst and seeming seizure. Her thoughts go out to her companions.

Sumner, does Azakan suffer the falling sickness? It oculd be magical. I'm checking for auras in the room.

Ismal stares at Azakan, and snaps off a simple spell.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's tense face falls as his eyes widen in horror and sympathy.

"You've been cursed..! But who..? And how? We must put an end to this! Azakan, tell us what you can - before we do anything else, we should free you from it!"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't tell you who did it, hisses Azakan between wracking sobs. That's part of the... well, it's not a curse. It's a binding. The other party has to do things for me as well... he slowly recovers, breathing heavily. Though if you just think about it, you should be able to guess who did it. He looks sideways at Bren and Tharok. You two should realise what all this is about.
    He wipes his eyes. You wouldn't be able to release me anyway. Look, once we do this bloody ritual with the crown, I'll be fine. When I'm Emperor, they won't do anything to me.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner glances sidelong at Ismal.
    Any ideas? I know nothing about bindings.
    But then he rises to his feet.
    "Then the sooner we get you to Halgarth, your lordship, the better. Do you need to make preparations?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

He may not be able to speak. There is a powerful aura of transformation about him, and a strong enchantment that may be the source of the blockage we've just seen.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven gestured to the Bren and Tharok.

"What's he talking about? What do you know of this binding?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal responds to Sumner after repeating his question to Kaleff, Khorik and Draven.

A person may be bound to a specific service, or to act in a certain way. It's not unusual for one of the restrictions to be an inability to speak about the bond itself. If there was another party involved, I'd guess that this was a devil-pact, perhaps what gave him the power to kill Khadoth.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't know, says Tharok to Ismal, we only met Azakan today... he's cut off by Azakan.
    Sumner's right, let's just go to Halgarth. I've had enough talking.
    Azakan starts to walk out of the bar. As he reaches the front door, the mercenary Bren speaks. Azakan stops, standing there, facing outwards, while the Dar Ven speaks.
    What is that hope you talk about? False hope? False hope for what, peace? There is no 'peace', there is eating and being eaten, being born and dying again. Some get long life with many sons and die in gloriois battle. Some do not live past first winter because hunting is bad. Still, was their lives, short as it was, not a live? What is it you are afraid of? That gods just use us as playthings in their games? Sure they can, they are gods. So? Live your live, Azakan, allow others to live theirs. If you want to fight, fight those who would deny life. Death is meaningless. Is just end of story. But even short story can be good, if you make it so. We all die. Life means dying, eventually. But does not mean we do not value life. We do. We just not afraid of being wolf and kill. And we not be afraid of being gazelle and be killed. Life is. Accept it and life is good.
    Prophecy says, demons are marching. They just want to conquer. They not alive, so they can not die. They have no place here. This is not about making empire. This is about making sure demons not become rulers again.

Azakan turns and looks at him, piercingly. He smiles, but there's no joy in it, only sadness. He then looks at the others. It's for you to make up your minds, I've said everything I can. I'm going to activate the portal to Halgarth. He points to the east. It's in a ruin up there. When I've gone through, I'll leave it on. If you want to join me in going and getting the crown, do so. If you want to go back to Halgarth, and live your lives, do so. Bren and Tharok, if you want to come with me to raise your friends, you can. I believe there's a temple of Imshaeroth somewhere in Halgarth, they may be able to do it, I don't know. If any of you want to stop me... you'll just die.
    He steps outside, and closes the door behind him, leaving you alone in the tavern.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff Nefud

Introspection cut abruptly short, Kaleff straightens his posture and his eyes become alert once again. Oh my gods, I've been so blind. I assumed he was just being difficult, but he actually CANNOT do anything other than what he's said. The Zhan shakes his head. We need to follow him, whatever is happening is centered on him, at least for now. Perhaps the crown... perhaps it inhibits other magics, and that is why he is so anxious to get it. Could it be the alien magic he spoke of earlier that is controlling him?

Standing, Kaleff makes sure he has all his possessions on him. "So, shall we?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner stood and followed Azakan without hesitation, and one might almost imagine a special stripe of military bearing in his manner as his feather stream like pennants behind his green shaven head.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal responds to Kaleff, but includes Draven.

We've got to go with him. Well, I do, anyway. Aside from any consideration of the prophesy, if I don't do something, THAT -

She points out the door.

Will have control over me. And I think I'd rather die.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

His companions were well out the door when the sound of smashing wood, a scream, and the crackle of electricity were heard from inside the Inn, followed immediately by the sound of silver coins dropping to to floor. Moments later, Draven exited the building and, cracking his neck as he walked, quickly caught up with the group.

"Well. At least I got my old mace back."
    Runa Redgrave

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

The two Dar Ven barbarians, after packing up their companions' heads, also leave with you to follow Azakan.
    Bren looks thoughtful.
    If Azakan made pact with spirit, then remember: Spirit always deals for profit and spirit always collects.

Outside the tavern, the local people stare at you suspiciously. They don't seem bothered by Kaleff or the two Dar Ven, but they glare at Sumner, Khorik, Ismal and Draven. Some of them mutter in their own language.
    You can see Azakan trudging towards the large hill to the east of the village.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-03 at 08:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Despite everything, Draven is still able to make her smile. She holds back a moment to fall into step with him.

I'm very happy for you, darling. Although there were certainly times I thought you cared more about that thing than me.

Ismal stares forward, at the backs of her companions, the two Dar Ven, and the enigmatic Azakan. Her hand slips out to clutch Draven's.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven's hand curled around the familiar form of Ismal's.

Ah, it's just a mace. Not even a particularly powerful one, but it's served me well, for a long time. And I like it better than the morning star because I can use it without necessarily killing someone.

He smiled, sadly.

I'm just trying to look on the bright-side of... recent events. Are you doing ok? Does Ur-Jyn have any insight on this whole devil-pact nonsense?
    Runa Redgrave

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

You leave the village, and follow Azakan up towards the hill, on which you can see some sort of ruins.
    You catch up to him, and he looks at you sadly. So, are you going to help me, or go and do something good with your lives instead? He sighs. Don't bother answering that.
    You reach the ruins. Strange shapes stick out of the ground, weird geometry, impossible architecture that shouldn't be possible. You can't understand how it fits together, the weird shapes are somehow disturbing. He leads you to a tunnel, a kind of twisting octagonal-shaped tunnel, which leads down into a room lit by a hole in the ceiling to the outside. One wall contains an arch in which sits a strange, shimmering field of darkness.
    Azakan sits down in front of it and closes his eyes.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner gazes with confusion mixed with distaste at the alien architecture set about the land here. The angles were all wrong, and although there were rules to it, the geometry made no sense. He'd be happy to leave this place behind.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

En route to the portal:

Ismal gives Draven's hand a squeeze.

He'll probably just scream some more about the return of Gothul, and suggest I stab Sumner in the eye right away, but it's worth a try.

She focuses her thoughts on the necklace, but resists an urge to grip it.

Enjoying the show so far, Ur-Jyn? How are we doing with the world-saving so far. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on what might be affecting Azakan, or about any hidden motivations behind them?

---

At the portal:

Ismal glances briefly and disinterestedly at the strange architecture. She had heard some bits and pieces about the ancient evils of the brain-eaters, and how their work delighted in distorting physical reality as much as the mental realities. Perhaps this was simply an example of that.

She watched intently as Azakan focused on the archway.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan? asks Bren You can re-set this portal to where it is going now later again, yes? Red-haired warrior may want his armour back, we could not take it. Too bulky. There was scale armour too we could not take. But if money we have is not enough to bring the four back, we might get later?
    Azakan does not answer. He just sits there, with his eyes closed.
    The dark surface in the archway starts to ripple and swirl, slowly.

As you stand there, looking about in boredom, you see from the light coming through the roof that there are murals on the walls. They seem to be of regular life, but instead of having people, there are Illithids, tall creatures with tentacled faces. It's quite disturbing: here are some Illithids playing some sort of ball game, there are Illithids sitting down at a table eating the brains from writhing humans. Here are Illithids watching what is evidently some sort of performance, with other Illithids on a stage wearing masks. There are Illithids putting little worms in the heads of screaming, tied-up humans.

Ur-Jyn replies to Ismal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't like this one bit. Is there a host of a Demon-God here? Seems like Sumner, he's telling Azakan to do the stuff you think is bad. Personally, I can't really judge between tyranny and justice, I'm an amulet, I don't really have any morals. But you seem to think it's tyranny. And what's this binding thing about with Azakan? All very suspicious. And Azakan seemed to be trying to tell us something through that whole conversation. There's definitely something odd going on with him, he knows more than he's saying. Also, what's this about priests? He said he was going to meet some. But wasn't the only religion Davethrans followed that of Gothul? So who are these priests he's going to see?
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-04 at 01:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven shifted uncomfortably as he stood, waiting for something to happen, and grumbling under his breath.

"I hope this doesn't take much longer. This place gives me the creeps."
    Runa Redgrave

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan blinks, and stands up, massaging his legs. Sorry, what did you say, Bren?
    You can re-set this portal to where it was going before later again, yes? repeats the mercenary.
    Yes, of course, replies Azakan, sure. He sounds distracted, looking at the shimmering surface.
    When your side has all the pieces, and you can't be seen to throw the game, how do you lose?
    Then he steps through the black portal, and vanishes.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Is he asking us to stop him? How are we going to do that?

Waiting for Sumner to follow Azakan through the portal, the Zhan follows the pair, exhaling as he steps through the archway.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Bren walks through the portal, followed by Tharok, leaving you alone.
    Khorik looks uneasy. I still don't know what he's on about, but there's something going on here, he broadcasts telepathically to Ismal. What should we do? I know Sumner's going to just follow him, but I... I wanted to be a noble warrior like Sumner, but is this really noble? I wish I knew what Azakan means with all these strange hints.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-04 at 05:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    The feathered warrior pauses at the threshhold of the portal, his Mal Hong-style clothes being ruffled by an intangible breeze. He half-turns then, resting his hand lightly on the hilt of the wicked-looking gnomish katana at his belt. He addresses the others,
    "In the time I have known you, you have all been steadfast companions and good in heart. Some of us escaped Goramesh together side-by-side, and more than one of us has already laid down his life once for what he believes." The warrior stand straight upright, even looking so young, Sumner exudes something of the dignity of the Old Empire.
    "I will not tell you your Ne'Sha. None of you have sworn oaths nor pledged allegiance, and so if you wish you go your own way once we reach Halgarth, I can ask no more of you; I will wish you happiness and peace." Sumner watches the others for a moment, gauging their reaction, then continues, his grey eyes evaluating still.
    "But this is the time before the dawn of the new Empire; if you wish your voice heard in what is to come, I think you will have to follow Azakan. I know you have doubts," he says, his gaze resting on Ismal and Draven for just a moment before moving on
    "I do too, honestly, but never have I been so close to realizing my dream: an Empire of Man alone. And for that dream I will fight on to bring an End to this Age of Ruin."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal nods as she picks up Khorik's thoughts, and returns hers to him alone.

After all my ranting in there about not controlling others, it would be a special kind of hypocrasy for me to tell you what to do now. I choose to go with Azakan, at least to better understand the bargain that he seems to have made.

As we did with Sumner and his possession, I am reserving judgement. There are wheels within wheels here. And...it would be a comfort to have your blade with us.

As Sumner speaks, Ismal meets his gaze levelly, but does not respond.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner meets Ismal's gaze; the ravashing beauty and the tall green youth locked in a tableau for a moment.

"You fear tyranny from me, and from Azakan. You fear that he will sacrifice others' wills instead of their hearts to be emperor. You fear for your own freedom and the freedom of others, if the crown is used." Sumner lets that sink in.
    "Well enough; I understand that. If my voice is heard, this magic will be sparsely used. Let each man decide his own Ne'sha, but let him face the consequences of it. If a magi shall oppose Azakan, their rightful ruler, then let his voice be heard. If he shall take up arms, then the crown will quell the rebellion before it can take life. You fear dominion of one will over another, but is that not what war is? Perhaps you fear the Empire will expand. Well,"
    Sumner raises a shoulder in a half-shrug.
    "My concern is that there should be peace and order within Old Davethra. Qusa manages itself well enough, it seems, and the Clans of the Ash Waste maintain peace among themselves. If you have doubts, then please, speak of them to me; I hope you trust me to listen."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Ismal smiles with a fondness for the old/young warrior.

Sumner, of course I trust you to listen, but you have said yourself where your loyalties lie. Your decision is already made, and I don't believe a few words from me would ever change your mind. What is the point of discussing this with you?

She glances at the portal, and looks over at Draven.

Ready when you are, love.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-05-04 at 05:32 PM.