New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin IC: Facing down destiny

Draven stood silently for a brief moment, deep in thought. When he spoke, his voice was serious, and had a hint of sadness to it.

"I'm not afraid of tyranny because I simply won't accept it. I AM afraid of what I may have to do to stop it. ...and so you know, my people live in peace with each other without mind control."

Draven sighed put a hand on Ismal's back with a nod.

"Let's go."
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner's gaze lingers for just a moment on the clasped hands of the two, but then he bows his head and steps through the portal.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

You step through the portal and find yourselves in another room, similar to the one you came from, but without any natural light. Soft light glows from Azakan's hand, standing with the two Dar Ven. As you step through, you catch the end of him saying something, but he stops, looking guilty. Bren continues talking.
    ... the temple of Isana. I hope, money will be enough. But do not worry, Azakan. I gave my word and my word I will hold, so my strength permits.
    Azakan looks slightly relieved. Okay, let's go to Halgarth. He walks up a corridor, followed by the barbarians.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-06 at 07:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Walking through the portal with Draven, Ismal pauses to watch for Kaleff and Khorik to join them. Her thoughts continued to race.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Exiting the portal, Kaleff takes a quick look around before briskly following his companions. Finally, back to civilization. Wonder if its the priests of Imshaeroth that we're going to visit. I doubt it, but it would be nice to save a trip, especially when I'd rather not let Azakan out of my sight. Broadening his mental speech, Kaleff reaches out for Ismal. So what do we do? It seems like we are to ally with Azakan against Azakan. Is there any way to speak with him within his mind where he is free to think as he pleases? He doesn't seem to be limited in that regard, only in what he expresses vocally.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

I can't think of any reliable way to talk to him that doesn't also engage any barriers that he faces. Plus, after our experiences with the...invisible one in the bar, I'm no longer convinced that these mental conversations are completely safe. Around Azakan, I'm going to try to say nothing mentally that I wouldn't want him to hear anyway. Of course, if we need to break that, I'll always be monitoring...I just thought I'd let you know.

So yes, for now, we follow, I'd say.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

You follow Azakan up through several tunnels, full of disturbing murals and strange shaped-walls, and eventually come out onto a hill. It seems to be early evening, and to the east is a huge expanse of water, the Bitter Sea presumably. A bit to the north is a walled town, which you recognise as Halgarth.
    Azakan looks at the sky. We'll need to find an inn for the night I guess. You said you'd been to Halgarth before? Any of you know a good place to stay?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Trying to relax in the strangeness of both their surroundings and their situation, Ismal smiles.

Sadly, I can't recommend the place that we last visited when we were here. If it still stands at all.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, asks Azakan, what was wrong with it?
    You all start walking down the hill towards Halgarth. You can see the smoke from chimnies, but there seems to be more, darker smoke than you'd expect, a pall over the town.
    As you walk, pitter-patters of rain start to fall on you from the dark clouds in the sky.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-06 at 10:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner shakes his head, sadly.
    "The explosion, your Lordship. It was at the Bronze Cauldron."
    His tone is absent, however, as he squints at the horizon.
    Something wrong? Either the rain is holding the smoke down, or...

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, right, says Azakan uneasily. The one that sent you to Goramesh...
    He looks out at the town. There seems to be a lot of smoke... I wonder if they've had some sort of festival with bonfires?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner laughs, shortly.
    "I wouldn't have pegged you as an optimist, your Lordship. Something doesn't feel right, and I would be more at ease if a few of us scouted ahead first. What say you?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan shrugs. Very well, go ahead. Better safe than sorry.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

A festival of bonfires? Draven sighed inwardly. More likely a festival of invading Devils. Great, just what we need.

"All right then, let's get a move on. Azakan, in case the town is in ruin, is there anything in particular we should look for, to see if it's still standing? Or people to look for, to see if they're still breathing?"
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruin? Azakan waves at the tops of the houses that you can see over the wall. What are you talking about? Just because there's some smoke, you think that the town's been destroyed? You guys sure are paranoid.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

"I didn't say DESTROYED... And besides, the way things have been going, we have a reason to be pessimistic. We were sent to find someone, then ended being blown up and sent to Hell, then found our way out, but had to do a Devil preparing for war a favor, someone tried to assassinate Sumner, we had to flee for our lives, teleported to the wrong place, had to travel for a very long ways, get mentally interrogated by an illithid-magic-wielding bastard, found out that Sumner is in all likleyhood possessed by Gothul whom we all wished would simply stay dead, all on the way to meet you, who we find out is being controlled by some other entity, maybe even Gothul as well, but have no way of finding out who, or how to stop it. Does it really seem like that much of a stretch to worry slightly that there's a problem with the town when there's a huge cloud of black smoke hanging over it?"
    Runa Redgrave

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan smiles. You're a clever man, Draven, but not a wise one. He sits down. Well, I'll stay here then, while someone or other goes and scouts. He chants a spell, then lies back on the grass, hands behind his head.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Yes, Lord. I can't imagine what might have given us such a bleak demeanour. I can slip forward with a degree of subtleness to take a look. Would you care to join me, Sumner?

Her thoughts reach back to Draven.

I'm still trying to figure out whether one of the Dar Ven is exerting control over Azakan. Until we know what's actually going on, we risk making things worse. Will you stay to keep an eye on them?

If no one objects, she will move quickly towards the town, slipping herself and anyone with her invisibile as they get closer.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Khorik sits down. I'm not too stealthy, I'll stay here with Draven and Azakan and these two, he says pointing at the Dar Ven with his thumb, while you two go.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well if it's subtlety you're after, I'd better stay put - have fun, and do be careful." I'll keep my eyes open, at least, to what I can see.

Draven sat down on the grass by Azakan, the raindrops plinking periodically on his mithral helmet and armor. He was having second thoughts about lending that cloak of his to Sumner.

"Well, I never laid any claims to wisdom, and truth be told, I'm not so clever either. But any fool can pick out a pattern from recent events. So, if I managed to somehow guess whoever it was is bound to you, would you be able to say nothing in response? Or would you have to deny it? Probably stupid looking for a loophole, but hey, you never know."
    Runa Redgrave

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kaleff

Livening up at the mention of reconassiance, Kaleff joins Ismal and the others. "Lets go see whats been going on in our absence, shall we?"

Walking swiftly with the others, Kaleff keeps an eye out for any temples of Imshaeroth's.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

You tell strange story, says Bren to Ismal and Sumner. You go and see what lies ahead without being seen, that is good. We will stay with Azakan.
    He and Tharok sit down on the wet grass.
    Azakan does not answer Draven, he just raises an eyebrow.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-05-06 at 05:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven makes himself more comfortable, picking a long stem of grass and chewing on the end.

"Ok, I'll take that as a 'yes'. Hopefully you'll be able to tell me who it's NOT then. I'll start off with someone I'm pretty sure it ISN'T. Is it Anarazel?"
    Runa Redgrave

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Azakan sighs. Sorry, it isn't that easy. I can't tell you at all.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven continued chomping. "Hmm... If you can't even tell me who it's NOT, it's going to be rather difficult to figure it out."

A few moments passed.

"You said it'd all be alright once you got the crown. Is that because they're compelling you get get it? Or because once you have it they won't be able to control you?"
    Runa Redgrave

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    While the group continues its exposition, Sumner gives an irritated grunt.
    "I am not possessed by Gothul. If I believed for an instant I were, I would do my duty and leave him no body left to inhabit."
    Sumner, after a moment's thought, ties his jacket a little closer, hoping to muffle the noise of his chain shirt.
    "Very well," he says, resting a hand on the sheath of his weapon. His expression is resolute.
    "Let's see what there is to see. Any magic that could help us, Lady Pennefar?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Again, I can't tell you... Azakan yawns widely. Oh, I'm tired... I... his eyelids sink over his eyes, and he lies back on the ground, rapidly asleep.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ismal

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Skenardo View Post
    Sumner Kesh
    While the group continues its exposition, Sumner gives an irritated grunt.
    "I am not possessed by Gothul. If I believed for an instant I were, I would do my duty and leave him no body left to inhabit."
    Sumner, after a moment's thought, ties his jacket a little closer, hoping to muffle the noise of his chain shirt.
    "Very well," he says, resting a hand on the sheath of his weapon. His expression is resolute.
    "Let's see what there is to see. Any magic that could help us, Lady Pennefar?"
    Ismal smiles as she begins walking towards the town.

Plenty, depending on what we want. I could render all of us invisible to the naked eye for a few minutes, although I seem to recall Kaleff being more than capable in that regard as well. If need be, I could help us fly, although I'm not sure how much you would enjoy being that creature of legend, a fearsome pixie. Do we think we need to go unseen?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Azakan sleeping (or at least, pretending to sleep to avoid conversation), Draven sighs.

"Great. So you two, how'd you end up working with Azakan?"

Spoiler
    Show
    and uh, sense motive check. (1d20-1)[13]
    Runa Redgrave

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Sumner Kesh
    Sumner tilts his head to one side, thinking.
    "You can do that? Hmm. Well, both flying and invisible, I don't think three of us need to go. Just invisible, I think all three should go. Perhaps you and I, Lady Pennefar? That will be less magic spent. I leave it to your judgment."