New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Ruin OOC: Facing down destiny

You're not sure what the spell was. Could have been teleport, could have been invisibility, could have been something else.

Also, level up.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Level up? Yay!

Let's see... as far as i can tell, Orin needs 2400 XP to get to lv. 10. So, how much for 2 groups of spellcasters?

As for levelling, i think Orin should go with Bard again. Increases Inspire Courage to +2.

Orin can now swap out one of his 1st lv. spells for somehting different. I am considering to exchange Erase for something else. Maybe Remove Fear, it would fit pretty well. Also i keep hearing a bout a spell called Inspiration, apparently from the Spell Compendium. Swift action and improves Inspire Courage by +1 if cast in conjunction with triggering a bardic music effect.

Suggestions?

Oh and he gets another 3rd lv. spell... what to take, what to take?

- Cure Serious Wounds: If there are no clerics, make yourself useful and beloved by all other party members.

- Dispel Magic: Nothing like a blanket debuff to throuw at your enemies, even though you have to roll for results. But then again, some GMs don't like that and maybe it is best to leave that to a full caster.

- Gaseous Form: The ultimate in infiltration magic. Well, beside all the teleport spells. Disadvantage: You can't run away as fast as you'd like to and you still get hurt by magic weapons. Or hard enough hits.

- Haste: All around combat buff. But Orin isn't really supposed to be much of a warrior. Although bards are supposed to help out the party and Haste sure is worth a lot, especially the more people there are to haste.

- Invisibility Sphere: It's nice that you can make yourseöf unseen but what about the non-magical party members? They sure would love to get some of this i-can't-be-seen for themselves.

- Leomond's Tiny Hut: Well, isn't nice to always have a roof above your head? It is just cool. Doesn't really fit for Orin i think though.

- Scrying: Well, isn't it fun to look at people from afar?

- See Invisibility: Since every magic user and their cat can turn invisible, being able to still see them is neat. So you can safely call out invisible targets for your party.

- Speak With Animals: Well.... do Diplomacy and Bluff work on critters? It would go with Orin's 'Peace through Verbosity' theme...

PHII:

- Alter Fortune: Orin yells: 'That's not how it happened!' and he bluffs reality into changing history, one die roll at a time. Fun.

- Sonic Shield: Okay so Orin tries to be a bit less of a coward and may end up actually joining a fight. And there is a chance to push back someone who just struck you... if one plays one's cards right... sure, it's a fortitude save against the knockback but imagine Orin facing some caster type who just happens to stand right at the edge of the gorge/lava pit/summoning circle .... very situational but... imagine him triggering an AoO by running around said caster. He can't resist to take the cheap shot and...

Personally i am considering Dispell Magic and Sonic Shield, with Alter Fortune a close third. Any suggestions?

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no, I'll let you decide.
    I have all those books incidentally, so it's no problem.

The 1st level spell you're thinking of is Inspirational Boost. It's a swift action, and increases the bonus of your inspire courage by 1 for the duration of the effect.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    The 1st level spell you're thinking of is Inspirational Boost. It's a swift action, and increases the bonus of your inspire courage by 1 for the duration of the effect.
    Okay, can you give me the full stats then?

Also i think i need to think a bit to choose between Alter Fate and Dispell Magic. Oh yes, that reminds me: Just how many XP did we just make? Alter Fate has an XP cost too you know...

What else is new... BAB goes up, so does reflex and will save.

HP go up by 4.

Get 1 rank each in Disguise, Know. History, Know Arcana, Listen, Spot, Slight of Hand, Sense Motive and get 2 ranks in Bluff.

And finally...

Spoiler
    Show
    Bren looks up at Ismal, a weary smile on his face.
    "Lady Ismal Pennefar... they say your family has dragon blood in their veins..."

Slipping off the straps of his backpack, Bren gets up.

"... you certainly have the appearance. Regal, determined and charming. Ah, but where are my manners.. allow me to introduce myself."

Bren courtesies and grabs at his helmet, as if to pull it off with a flourish along with the bow. Which he does. Suddenly, his image flickers for but a moment and in the place of a Dar Ven in scale armour, you find yourself face to face with someone who looks almost exactly like the man you saw in the wizard's guild under a glass case:

Orin Stillwater.

He is indeed holding a hat, not a helmet. It's is a fancy hat but the blood stains kinda ruin the effect.

"Sorry for the deception, it is a long story... oh and Lady Pennefar, you really should heed the advice of your fiance and not swallow people whole anymore. It so not lady-like."

Orin puts the hat on again for now. You can see that he is actually wearing a travellers outfit. And his shield seems to have lost it's black paint job, only to reveal a phoenix motiv underneath.

"I would agree that we should give proper rites to all the dead. Even the priests. They may have been misguided in life or maybe they really were irredeemable demon worshippers. But either way, to deny them a proper burial would just mean to perpetuate the hate they meant to spread in Gothul's name. I hope we are better people then that."

Orin goes and retrieves the scourge.

"Also we really should rest. It was a long day. Feels like 5 actually. Long story, long story.... Oh and master Nefud? We really ought to see what we can make out of the documents we appropriated form the late Saigon."

Lycar

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, can you give me the full stats then?
    Well, that's basically it. It has Verbal and Somatic components, it's a level 1 Bard spell, it's a swift action to cast, and increases the bonus from Inspire Courage by 1 for the duration of Inspire Courage.

Also i think i need to think a bit to choose between Alter Fate and Dispell Magic. Oh yes, that reminds me: Just how many XP did we just make? Alter Fate has an XP cost too you know...
    Just had a look at it...
    I don't often say this, but I'd prefer to ask you to take Dispel Magic. Alter Fate's just too problematic.

Since you're no longer disguised, do you have any objection to posting yourself, and for the other players to post OOC on this thread? I'll ask them not to look at previous pages.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-06-06 at 06:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Heh okay. Dispell Magic it is then. Yay for debuffing.

And yes, as much fun it was to run parallel to the others, now that the group is reunited again, we really should not need to have Orin post via GM-Mail.

Oh yes and just how much XP did we get actually? You said that it was enough to level but never stated the exact amount?

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-06-06 at 06:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

You got whatever XP it took to level up, exactly.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. Sense Motive, I guess, on internal Monologues.
    (1d20+9)[17]
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Lycar, I'm posting you full text on Inspirational boost, in case you need it.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Dun, dun, dun!
    Some big revelations there.
    Or are they lies?
    You'll have to decide for yourself!
    Or make sense motives if you really want.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

This seems a little redundant, but the way things have been going it's a sad necessity.
    Sense Motive - (1d20+9)[20]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy_G View Post
    You got whatever XP it took to level up, exactly.
    Kaleff needed 1300 for level ten. What should I set his to? Level 11 would net us all teleport...

And seriously? No spellbooks? Awww...

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well, you might be getting the two new spells for leveling up.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and as far as the healing went, it was 13 if you wanted to just address the acid burns, and 34 if you wanted to completely heal Sumner.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hello and welcome back everybody.

Oh don't worry, Orin doesn't believe people as a matter of habit. Especially not some extraplanar entities who are kinda dependent on you doing their work for them. Good luck convincing him otherwise...

And if there is some free healing to be had, Orin also got electrocuted for 24 .. so.... any healing love for the bard, anyone?

Lycar

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, we're all together now! (click the link)

Ok, so everyone who needs healing post how much damage they have, and I'll post how much I can heal you. I only have 60 to go around, but I imagine that between tonight and tomorrow, everyone can be healed up to full.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Kali Meliamne - Wild-Elf Monk with a disdain for injustice, clothing.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Orin misses 24 HP, if we assume a night of sleep brings back 10 then 14 points of healing would be nice.

Also: Too bad that neither Kaleff or Ismal showed any emotional response at being responsible for wiping out a happy, loving family... see post #497.

Oh well, i suppose you have to kill off a few people to make an empire. Shall we sum them up under 'collateral damage' ?

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2008-06-07 at 04:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

'k, once this mini confrontation here ends, Draven will heal the rest of us. Ismal is full, Draven is missing 24 HP, Sumner was down 34 and Draven has healed 15 of his already, and I'm not sure about Kaleff, whether he's full or not. I'm fairly certain that healing 14 HP on Orin won't be a problem, provided Sumner doesn't freak out and try to kill me first.
    Draven 'God-Slayer' Kheldravan - Dragon Shaman, healer, tank. "Balls-Driven Brute", officially retired.
    Runa Redgrave
    - Appears to be a Wizard, but looks can deceive. Angst-fueled daughter of immigrants.
    Remus Rutgerson - Living perfection turned evil, trapped between revenge and redemption.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    Orin misses 24 HP, if we assume a night of sleep brings back 10 then 14 points of healing would be nice.

Also: Too bad that neither Kaleff or Ismal showed any emotional response at being responsible for wiping out a happy, loving family... see post #497.

Oh well, i suppose you have to kill off a few people to make an empire. Shall we sum them up under 'collateral damage' ?

Lycar
    I don't know if you've noticed, but Sumner is not particularly broken up about killing people, when he thinks he has to. The orphan is unfortunate fallout, and we'll see how the resolution of that goes.

EDIT: as far as the flipping out and killing goes, I doubt Sumner could kill all of you all by himself, and that's what it would amount to, really. But is he fanatic enough to try? Love this game.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-06-07 at 04:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Draven hasn't actually even SEEN the amulet yet, he's been a bit busy, but he's bound to be broken up a bit by it, but mostly mad at his parents for doing anything so foolish and dangerous when they have a child to care for.
    Runa Redgrave

21. - Top - End - #171

NinjaGuy

Yuh, that 24 points of elect is nasty for a caster to soak, left me at 9. 9. Don't forget Draven's fast healing, everybody, get you to half then calc what you need.

@Toli: The way Ozzy's been running it, there has to be plausible research, or time for such, to net those spells, and I was pretty sure said spellbooks would supply said plausibility. Been running around with 4th level spell slots to burn, but no spells known. Went up 3, maybe four depending on the xp doled out here, levels since going to hell and subsequently losing Kaleff's spellbook, and have only the spells provided by the demon/devils, not surprisingly lacking any potent offense.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

3 or 4 times!??!? I've only leveled twice this WHOLE GAME.

So Kaleff nees 17 to get back to max, right? How many will he heal in a night?

EDIT: @ TGS, I dunno, but I'm itchin' to find out! Though, with Sumner having a sword named "Eater of Men", I'm not exactly excited to fight him.
    Last edited by knewsom; 2008-06-07 at 05:02 PM.
    Runa Redgrave

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Lycar
    Hey, the only one I killed was that evasive bastard Saigon. And when you're also killed in the same fight, your whole perspective shifts.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, a charlton heston reference AND a reference to another game, all in the same post. I'm on FIRE today.
    Runa Redgrave

25. - Top - End - #175

NinjaGuy

Lycar
    Kaleff actually had no part of it. In the two or three rounds of battle he waited to see who was actually bad, cast a non-combat spell, chased after Az, then ran back. He, also, isn't so concerned about death, as you get whats coming to you then. Its great worshiping the one who controls that. Also, anyone else think the baby's death might have caused them to go evil? That or the kid's meant to be a BBEG?

Edit: Oh, and did we get any lewt from Saigon?
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-06-07 at 05:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    That or the kid's meant to be a BBEG?
    Let's just hope their last name isn't "Montoya".
    Runa Redgrave

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Um. Should Ismal take that as Kaleff declining to say anything about Khorik?

28. - Top - End - #178

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knewsom View Post
    Let's just hope their last name isn't "Montoya".
    You really are on fire, aren't you?

And on that Charlton Heston note

Edited a bit in, T, my posts take a bit as I tend to wander AFK in the middle of them.
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-06-07 at 06:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

3 or 4 times!??!? I've only leveled twice this WHOLE GAME.
    Kaleff and Sumner have been going since the start of the whole thing, which like a year and a half ago, or maybe more.

Kaleff just goes up the 1 level, but I'll bear it in mind that he was so close.

You didn't get anything from Saigon.

I did laugh at your Forgotten Key reference, Knewsom.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2008-06-07 at 06:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

exactly, how could they have leveled up 3 or 4 times since we got out of hell if I've only leveled two times total? Doesn't make any sense unless they were right on the verge of leveling when we died.
    Runa Redgrave