New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: When The Avatara Walk the Earth....

"Thank you." Sasach replied, nodding to both the newcomer and Garris. His ears perk up as he hears Karden's comment on aid for Criu. "Will you need to bring the body, or should these be enough?" He asked, pointing to the feathers tucked behind his ears. He was going to send a message to Adlerheim to send a replacement, but such a thing was a mark of incompetence. To avoid it would allow him to save face in the eyes of his peers. What fortune!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sslag nods to Karden

I would be very much pleased to accompany you...More so if you have good food.

Sslag bowed deeply, and turned to Othar.

Can you get out ok, Ogre, or do you need a lift? Don't worry about the load, I can handle it.

He looked at Criu's limp form.

S'ppose I can take the bird too...
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-04-12 at 04:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123

Don't even worry about that. There's an easier way out, Karden interjects, taking one of the pouches from his belt and laying it one the ground. Touch this thing, and I'll do the rest. No need to take the bird, though.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

Well, well, it seems we all have another invitation says the half-ogre, hanging his chain to his back. And from a distinguished host, it seems he says, chuckling when he sees all the knights surrounding them. Pleased to meet you, Karden he says, nodding. And thank you for your offer, dragon-man he says to Sslag. I could've climbed up the ropes, but I guess there's no need he adds, looking at the pouch Karden put on the ground.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

5. - Top - End - #125

Just jump in. You'll find it pretty comfy.

6. - Top - End - #126

Sslag looks at the bag with a preturbed expression.

Mrrm...With all due respect sir, while I am certain this bag has some magical quality, I am not sure I am ready to trust you to stuff me into some extradimensional space, even for a little while. I'll get out the hard way.

Sslag turned and flew to the rim of the crater.

7. - Top - End - #127

If you think so. Anybody up for the ride?

8. - Top - End - #128

"I'm sure it's very comfortable, but most of us got hurt, some pretty badly, fighting a magician mere moments ago. We're collectively not in the mood to deal with magic right now, let alone trust it on the word of a stranger. Sorry, but I'd rather walk." Sasach explained as politely as he could.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Gars
    Gars saunters over to stand near the group at the top of the crater, followed by his very large tiger, and looks down at the...bard... who showed up after the fight was ended.

He coughs and clears his throat twice, then rasps out "Nice timing." Taking a swig from his watersack, he continues "So, who was that? And why are you taking the items he left behind? They are not needed as evidence against him, and should be used as weregild for those harmed. Including some of us."

Behind him, Shkan stretches, claws extended, and yawns, revealing a mouth of exceptionally sharp teeth.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

The half-ogre laughs loudly as he hears the others decline Karden's offer. I will follow the other's example he declares and walk by my own means he says, walking towards his rope. Not that I don't trust you or anything he adds, politely. It's just that our dragon friend reminded me of the dangers of mixing interdimensional spaces. Othar points at his backpack. He trusts Karden won't be so foolish as to risk sending them to the astral plane, but just in case, Othar walks too this time.

11. - Top - End - #131

Meh. You lose out on it, people, the bard says, as he picks up the bag and proceeds to backflip up the wall of the crater. Looking towards the druid, he adds, with an amused look, Good things come to those who wait, my friend. Be not so greedy, lest Lucretia dominate you. And with that, he waits until everyone has climbed out of the crater, and proceeds to walk down one of the plaza's alleys.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mini info tip: Lucretia means madness. You learn new useless things every day, don't you?

Also, is everyone okay with me jumping straight to the destination, or d'you want to banter a bit?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Gars
    "He speaks of greed, when he gathers where he has not worked."
    Gars and Shkan follow.

13. - Top - End - #133

Following the bard, you arrive at a small white marble house. Once again donning his grin, Karden enters and gestures you to follow.

Inside awaits a hall as big as a palace throne room. Hundreds of people are busily entering and exiting the hall through side doors, many of them with documents and manuscripts. Leading you to a stairway on the far right side of the hall, the bard walks to the fifth floor, and enters a small passageway which leads to a large room with an oak desk.

Sitting on the desk, the bard picks up a few documents.

Well, I suppose you want to know where you are, to begin with something. I present you the HQ of the Twin Empires' secret watch. We deal with any nationwide or global threat that might pose harm to the twin empires. Which leads us to the subject at hand...

A few days ago, a few hundred individuals appeared and starting wreaking havoc across the six empires. Using planar contacts, we ascertained they are an "organization" named The Avatara, citizens from the three great cities from before the empires were formed that have somehow come back to life. They've been causing all kinds of mayhem, from destroying mountain ranges to creating dead magic zones. We've got task forces dealing with groups of them, but we're short on people.

And that's where you come in. We were looking for employees, and we were informed of a disturbance at the plaza. Going there, we saw you dealing with that power mad psion, and found you rather fit for the task.

And before you ask, no, that psion was not one of the Avatara. He was just some kind of megalomaniac.

Now, the question is, would you like to accept an employment offer under the Secret Watch? You'd get financed by the empires, would be allowed to keep any item of power you found, as well as having several other minor advantages, such as free night on any inn of the twin empires and other stuff. The con being, of course, that you would be placed under jurisdiction, but that shouldn't be too constraining.

So? Are you interested in the job?
    He finishes, as he starts intently reading the documents, waiting for your answer.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garris

Garris considers a moment before saying Sounds like my kind of gig. Whats the time line? And can we leave the organization at anytime?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

15. - Top - End - #135

Sslag noded and looked at Karden with an intent stare.

After a while he spoke.

Under any other circumstances, I would reject that offer and tell you where you could put it...however, if it a chance to protect those who would be unable to protect themselves from these avertarnies, you have my services.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It would be my great honor to conduct business for the Twin Empires, but while your synopsis sounds greatly appealing, I would prefer to know the complete details before I commit to anything. Who would I report to? Would we be working in groups, and if so, who would comprise them? You mentioned other minor benefits as well.. could you elaborate? Just how limiting... would this jurisdiction be?"

The elf pauses. "I apologize if I am being to forthright, but employment is a serious business, and I prefer to conduct such business seriously."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-04-13 at 02:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Looking towards Tahlin, then gazing at every member of the group, the bard elaborates Well, you'd be under my command, and should you accept, you'd be free to leave as soon as you have finished with this assignment...though staying would be definetely encouraged, of course.

As for the issue of who you'd work, you'd be able to pick companions. I believe you'll prefer staying with the people you know, though.

The minor benefits...well, as I said, they'd be minor. For example, free stay at any inn, as I mentioned. The ability to requisition effectives from any constabulary you come across, though you'd need to inform me, and they wouldn't be able to leave their zone, for obvious reasons. Reduced prices on our purveyors of magical items. I think that's about it, though I might be forgetting something.

And on the subject of the jurisdiction, as long as you don't purposefully harm citizens of the empires, and you stay focused on the objectives, you'll have free reign on what you can do. I'll be in contact constantly, but you need only report when some kind of progress has been done on the assignment. Is that all you wanted to know?
    The bard says, as he refocuses on the documents, muttering and grumbling as he reads through them.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Indeed. That satisfies my queries quite satisfactorily. I, for one, will pledge my services to the Twin Empires and their Secret Watch. As for the others, I cannot tell you. As you said, I might 'prefer to stay with those I know', but, while I know many people from throughout the world, I'm afraid these are all strangers to me. Regardless," he says, dipping into a formal bow, "Tahlin Ryavain at your service, and the service of your Country. When do I start?"

19. - Top - End - #139

Tomorrow. Everyone who accepts will be given temporary quarters until I can brief you more thorougly and you can get moving. Here, Karden says, as he grabs a dorje and activates it. As he does so, Tahlin's mind is imprinted with the knowledge of where his room is, and how to reach it.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I suppose as my employer and superior it would be too much to ask you to stay out of my mind. I can accept that. I just can't promise to like it."

21. - Top - End - #141

Not a problem. We DO have to use telepathy to communicate over long distances, but we do it via devices. Just thought it would be far better to give you the information that way. And speaking of devices... Karden says as he rummages through one of his belt pouches. Out of it he takes a silver scarab.

Here. This is the device I was talking about. Just have it on your person and it'll work.

22. - Top - End - #142

Sasach frowned. There did seem to be quite a few bonuses, and not much in the way of restrictions. And they would be saving people (hopefully). Still, he was a Adlerjager, not a mercenary. But if they could help Criu... "If you fulfill your promise to help Criu, I will help your cause in return." He said, after a moment.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Uranus grunted.
    "I will help you, for now. And when it suits me, I shall take my leave. However I cannot be held accountable for anything you might come across while invading the privacy of my mind."
    She thinks for a moment.
    "In comprison to the psion, how powerful are these 'Avatara'?"
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

24. - Top - End - #144

Giving Sasach a reassuring smile Karden says: We'll deal with that as soon as I know what everyone thinks, friend. You'll be more than satisfied by the outcome, believe me.

Turning towards Uranus, Karden gets serious again. Their level of power varies. Most are slightly weaker or at the same level as that guy, but some of them are...frightening. As I mentioned, one of them leveled a mountain range with a few punches, and another one has engineered a massive undead assault in the frozen coasts of the northeast. Thankfully, you won't have to deal with those. All in all, I'd say they're at about the level of our powermad friend.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tahlin takes the exquisitely wrought silver scarab brooch gingerly. With the utmost care he undoes the simple silver pin that holds up his cloak and refastens it with scarab pin. Dropping the other pin in a small pouch at his belt, he leans back against a wall to watch how the charismatic bard would win over the remaining few present.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Gars
    What do you know about their organization? Purpose? Objectives? Have they given any reasoning or goals?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garris

Well now hunting down big bads sounds like fun to me. Sign me up! The hunter must be insane he sounds actually excited to go hunting for death.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

28. - Top - End - #148

Turning to Gars, Sslag spoke

I don't think that you quite understand, druid. Civilization does not break one's touch with the world. If anything, it is a tool to allow many different people live with the world. I lived, for half my life, in a backwards swamp. There was only mud, fish, and monsters. The other half of my life, I spent living in this city which I have grown to love. If there is any way that I may help people, here or elsewhere, that is reason enough for me.

If that isn't motivation enough, perhaps mountains being destroyed or forests being leveled would.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-04-13 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

"You got it backwards. It's forests being destroyed and mountains being leveled."
    Her tone was sarcastic.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

Won't those benefits you forgot include access to libraries, by chance? inquires the half-ogre quite anxiously. Truth be told, the offer seemed generous, and although he wasn't eager to fight mad psychopaths like the psion they had fought, the deaths of innocents would be a heavy wheight in his conscience.

Hoping to receive a positive answer, and weighting pros and cons, he replies ok, you can count on me. But I'm slightly bruised, I'd rather get patched up before getting into another fight.
    Last edited by elkhantar; 2008-04-14 at 03:48 AM.