New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: When The Avatara Walk the Earth....

Taia

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the gap in replying... looooong weekend.

Taia uses her eternal wand of lesser restoration (UMD take 10 [deceive item] = 37 vs. DC 20) to heal the ability damage -- (1d4)[4] CON healed (max 2), if 1, then use the second daily use to get back up to full CON. (Not that it'll appear to matter here.) Also, engages fiendish resilience to heal 1 HP/round for 20 rounds.

"Facing danger? Check. Financial rewards? Check. Having to report to you? well... I can live with that."
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-04-14 at 12:49 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

2. - Top - End - #152

Turning towards Othar, the Bard smiles again. Why, the Secret Watch has a library only beaten in size by that of the Dal Schiran royal academy and a few private collections. I trust that you'll find it useful for any reading needs you may have.

Turning towards Gars, he assuages his curiosity. No, they haven't expressed any demands. They have just wrecked havoc across the world, with no apparent reason or rhyme. It's like dealing with a bunch of superpowered hooligans, really. However, we know they're split up in different "ranks" via our planar contacts.

The "lowest" rank is the Outer Clique. Most of them are powerful individuals, about as powerful as the psion, but they can be dealt with.

Then there's the Inner circle, the middle levels. They're extremely dangerous, and crack teams of operatives have been required to take them down. If you can deal with members of the Outer Clique successfully, you might be assigned to deal with a few of the Inner Circle.

And then there's the Avatara proper. They are far out of your, or my, league. The people who I mentioned earlier, the mountains and the undead assault? That was just a pair of them. Half the Watch is dealing with just a few of them,
    he finishes as he jumps down from the desk.

As for the wounds...

He slashes at everyone, the Estoc healing any wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Consider yourself fully healed, guys.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Gars
    "Very well."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

The half ogre's eyes gleam when he hears Karden's description of the library. Not that he was a deep studious, scholar or wizard. However, being raised among books, he was fond of the stories of wonder which he dreamed of. Unconsciously, he moves his hand towards the pouch where his broken glasses lay.

The Bard's healing method is met with a raised eyebrow, but no other comments, particularly since it seems pretty effective. Othar whistles, though when Karden describes their opponents. Well, if the weakest of the Avatara are in the league of that mad psion, you'll surely need all the help you can get. he concludes. Count with my skills to oppose those beings. says Othar.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sslag

Turning to Othar
    You can read?

Realizing how rude that may have sounded, he speaks in a more subued tone.

Not that I meant to sound rude, but you see..erhm..how do I put this...Mrrmh...I can't...read. Not Common, anyway. I didn't think it would be neccesary, but most of the books are written in the common tounge....What I am asking is...er...Can I come with you?

It is quite apparent that he is very embarrased about this.

6. - Top - End - #156

Karden seems very surprised. You can't read? Hmm...that could be a problem. What would you say if I told you I could arrange it so you can quickly learn how to do so? It would require a psychic operation, but there's no risk in it.

7. - Top - End - #157

Sslag seems genuinely relieved.

You mean, you can teach me? Thank you. I would very gracious....This...'process'...doesn't put anything in my head, or take anything out, does it?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

Not offended in the least by Sslag's reply, the half-ogre replies Well, I can help you in a more mundane manner he says. It'll take more time and effort, but I can teach you to read and write if you so desire. Right after making his offer, he recalls his broken glasses. Well, I can't read very well right now he chuckles. but that'll improve as soon as I get these fixed he says reaching for the remains of his reading glasses.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley_ View Post
    Sslag seems genuinely relieved.

You mean, you can teach me? Thank you. I would very gracious....This...'process'...doesn't put anything in my head, or take anything out, does it?
    It's kind of complicated. While the process will affect your mind, it won't change memories or anything like that. What it'll do is simply grant you the capability to read, as if you had always had it. Is that okay with you?

10. - Top - End - #160

Taia

The pixie raises an eyebrow. Awfully accommodating, isn't he? And eager to secure our services, too. I wonder if there's more than meets the eye going on here...
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-04-14 at 12:49 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

The bard was well connected. There could be no denying that. At least, he seemed to be, if everything was on the level. Every question, every qualm, resolved, without even a bat of his blond eyelashes. He trusted the bard... thus far... as far as one can trust an almost complete stranger. But he would be wary of his charms and... diplomatic handling... in the future. Tahlin didn't mind acting as a pawn, so long as it remained acting on behalf of others. Being used riled him, and he was ever wary and conscious of others' motives and plans.

For now, though, everything seemed to be in order. He liked the bard, too, for he was a likable sort, and was looking forward to the proposed duel with rather some anticipation.

12. - Top - End - #162

Sslag thought for a moment. He didn't like mind-magic, but if he could read the books that had eluded him for so long, a way to finally pass the time when he would be idle...perhaps the gnawing bordom that he hated would be gone.

Do it.

13. - Top - End - #163

In a minute. First, perhaps you should all have this, Karden says as he throws everyone a silver scarab.
    Now that's out of the way, I can impart some basic knowledge of the building, so that you don't get lost on your first day.

In the first floor, the left door closest to the exit houses the alchemical lab. In it you'll find many spells and spell reagents, as well as alchemical components, obviously.

Your temporary quarters are two floors up, the first doors on the left. Since they were crafted using a modified version of a microcosm that allows you to get out, you'll just have to concentrate on whatever you'll want, and you'll have it, for as long as you remain there.

On the ninth floor, which, by the way, is the top floor, you'll find the training arena. It is there, Tahlin, that we'll have our duel. Feel free to use it if you want to hone your skills a bit.

And that's all for now. You four,
    he says pointing towards Sslag, Sasach, Tahlin, and Othar, Should come with me. Since the you'll probably won't use the special facilities required much, and I have to supervise it anyway, it's best if I just guide you to the places you need to go personally.

And that's it,
    the Bard says as he opens the door. In military slang, you're dismissed. Now, come here, people, so we can do everything we have to do.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sasach pinned the silver scarab to his clothes, under his chain shirt. It was best not to advertise his involvement, after all. As he finished pinning it on, the halfling strode over to the bard, fidgeting impatiently.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Uranus put the scarab in her bag and wandered off to the training facility.
    For the first time, in a long time she was a little unsure of herself. The man they fought earlier seemed to be rather resistent to magic, and if they were going to be fighting more like him, then she'd have to rely on her physical abilities.
    A little distraught that she'd found herself doubting her capabilities, Uranus simply took her rage out on a training dummy.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

16. - Top - End - #166

Sslag looks at the scarab for a bit, then holds it up to his shoulder.

Fergis, take care of this, will you?

A weasel darts out from under his cloak, grabs the scarab, and retreats back within the folds.

Turning to the bard, he continues.

Fergis is better at numbers than I am and he has better handwriting. If there is any paperwork to be done, he will handle it.

OOC: Sslag can read and write in draconic just fine.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-04-14 at 07:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garris

Pocketing the scarab he stands and looks at the others and says Drinks on the house!
    He strides off and makes his way up to his room where he enjoys a mini vacation, paid for by a demiplane. If anyone comes to find him he is surrounded by assorted bottles of alcohol and a pile of shot glasses. Hmmm...wash nexsh? Obviously drunk.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Gars goes to his room and spends the night in meditation and sleep. Shkan spends the night chasing deer and sleeping after eating his fill.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

The tales of flesh-eating scarabs too vivid in his mind, the half-ogre puts the scarab in his handy haversack, not too far away, not too uncomfortably close. Then he walks towards his quarters, which he shapes as a very spartan room bathed in sunlight which opens to an open yard with cypresses and a fountain.

There he summons new glasses and the same book he found at the library that morning, and sits down in the clean bed to read some pages under the warm light.

20. - Top - End - #170

Taking Sasach, Sslag and Tahlin a few floors down, Karden leads them to a small room with six black marble colums. Inside is a brown haired man, dressed in what seems to be a scholar's robe. Seeing the bard, he speaks in a deep monotone.

Welcome, master. What is required of me?

Good to see you, Mrin. We need a psychic operation on our friend here, he says as he points at Sslag.

Very well. Follow me, Mrin says as he walks towards the right side of the room, to a stone table.

Lie down here, he orders. After Sslag complies, he says.

Now, close your eyes and relax. Just open up your mind, and I'll do the rest. What kind of operation am I required to perform, master?

Sslag can't read or write Common. We need you to implant the knowledge on him.

He can't read Common? Mrin says, a hint of surprise in his voice.

Very well. Then... he closes his eyes as the room seems to start vibrating. For a few seconds, the room seems to beat like drums, and then the beating stops.

It is done. Do you need anything else?

No, that's fine. Thank you, Mrin, the bard says as he helps Sslag back up.

And with that, the group leaves the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Tis done. More coming in a few minutes.

21. - Top - End - #171

Taia

Taia heads to her room and relaxes for the evening. Worrying about whatever was coming could wait, and was pointless for the moment. For now, she simply enjoyed the hospitality.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #172

Climbing three floor the Bard leads the now literate Sslag, Sasach, and Tahlin to a small chapel. Inside awaits a plump man, dressed in the garbs of a high priest.

Welcome, Karden. What'ya need today?

We need you to perform a resurrective job, Nemes. Sasach here lost his mount and need you to bring it back.

Pfft. Too easy. Here, young man, he says as he grabs Sasach by the wrist and leads him to an onyx altar.

The process is a bit uncomfortable and only works on animals and magical beasts, but we've found it to be singularily useful, he says as he picks up a silver knife.

Now, stay put. I'll have to slash both arms here, he says as he pokes the joint that connects the lower and upper parts of the arms, And I'll be able to bring whoever you need back. As soon as you hear me chanting something, start thinking of your mount and it'll be back.

Then he, slashes at Sasachs joints, and blood pours down his arms. The pain better be worth it, because it's not a nice feeling, at all.

Then, Nemes starts muttering what sounds like the beginning of a hymn. Sasach concentrates on Criu, feeling slightly weakened by the knife's cuts...

And then, there's the loyal steed, unsacthed and ready for action.

Taking a few seconds to employ his rather unorthodox healing, Karden bids farewell to the priest.

Looking at Sslag and Sasach, he says, Well, your business is done, boys. Unless you're very interested in a short sparring match, I'd suggest you go to sleep. If you forgot, your rooms are one floor up, the first doors on the left, he says as he repeats how to reach the rooms.

And now, me and Tahlin are going to and have our duel, just like I promised, he says as he heads for the stairs to the top floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Criu's back. The only cost is 150 XP, 1/100th of the XP needed to level up. I believe the benefits outweight the costs, heh.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2008-04-15 at 10:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

That 'Healer Guy' was rather overzealous for Sslag's taste. Was slashing the Halfling's arms really necessary?...

He shook his head. What to do next. Training? No, he had done that plenty of times before. Sleeping? He had not needed to sleep for three years. Reading? Yes! That was it!

With his new-found literacy he made his way to the library.

EDIT: Fixed post, AK!
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-04-15 at 10:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

((Curse ye, being dazed and confused because of a night of frantic writing and nonstop listening to music to catch up! Corrected the post, can't believe a little goofup with a name caused THAT much trouble. Smiley, you can delete it now. BTW, the beast thing was referring to Criu. As I said, curse all nighters.))

25. - Top - End - #175

Sslag was having less luck in reading than he had hoped for. Applied Metaphysics, Botany, History, where was the interesting stuff? The stuff about heroes and monsters of old?

Frustrated, he closed the book he was reading, something about anatomy, and made his way to the training facility.

He didn't even notice Uranus was there when he located a training dummy. He began the draconic incantation, and a slick coat of grease covered the area around the dummy.

Carefully stepping onto the grease, he made his way to the dummy. He forgot about the troublesome books as he struggled to pummel the dummy and keep his balance at the same time.

26. - Top - End - #176

Entering the training arena, Karden lead Tahlin to the back. Knocking on one of the bricks that made up the walls, a small passage appears, which leads to a smaller arena. The place seems deserted and cleaner, and no training dummies are to be found there.

Grabbing Tahlin's Kukri and crossing the blade with that of his estoc for a few seconds, Karden then steps back and assumes a combat stance.

Now that I've made sure the strikes won't be lethals, shall we start, with three strikes to determine the winner?

Spoiler
    Show
    And until H answers, that would be the last move.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sasach's face lit up and he was about to give the bird a hug when he realized he'd get blood all over her feathers. He softly stroked her gleaming feathers as he led the bird out of the room and up to his quarters, where he took out his brush and began to brush and clean his mount's feathers, straightening them at the same time. It was a long process that spoke more between them than any amount of words, even with magical translation, and when he finished, Criu practically shone. He smiled and stroked her head, then put her to bed. As she drifted to sleep, he was still wide awake, thanks to his ring. He willed the space to produce for him an archery target and spent the evening plugging away at it from every angle with arrows willed into existance by the space.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silently, Tahlin followed the bard on their tour through the compound. Glad he was to be along, witnessing with his own eyes the power and connections the Organization possessed. More than this, though, the elf studied Karden very carefully, noting both his manner and speech as he interacted with his subordinates and the way the bard physically moved, trying to read his movements and forsee his abilities before either of them ever crossed blades.

Eventually, it was that time, and he and the bard were met in one of the large training rooms housed in the Organization's facilities. He stripped to the waist, and after his new employer ensured that this was to be a friendly and safe match, he took his kukri, feeling its familiar weight and balance, letting its presence in his hand take him back through the decades he had spent with the blade as his primary companion.

He stood still for a moment, letting his mind attune to the coming battle, and then turned slightly, lifting one foot and planting it firmly behind him, arms up and ready as he entered the deeply rooted stance. He noted a hint of surprise and a gleam of something else... excitement?... in his opponents eyes. "I take it you have not often encountered martial artists from some of the further reaches of the world. This form is based on the Northern Mantis school of martial arts, learned from the time I spent in their monastery. Though the mantis style lends itself most to the katar, a weapon I am also well versed in, I have brought in elements from both the Hung Kuen and Baguazhang styles to better suit the attack patterns of the kukri, my weapon of choice.

Hmm... perhaps I had better just... show you."
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-04-16 at 11:18 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

(I notice a distinct drop in momentum, so I'm going to try to get some inter-character dialougue on while Tahlin and Karden hit each other with sharp bits of metal)

Sslag overreached on one of his strikes, slipped on the grease, and fell on his back. Only then did he see he was not alone in the training facility.

Oh, hey there!

He slowly stood up and made his way over to Uranus.

Well, it seems we all go clumped together into some big mess. I figure I should know your name, otherwise I might just call you 'that cranky lady' all the time and neither of us would like that.

I am called Sslag, brother of Sslar from the brood of Burz from someplace that I can't remember the name of, and you?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Uranus shuddered as Slaag approached her.
    The less you know...The better.
    "Uranus. I have no parents and no siblings. I have no problems being known as 'cranky old lady' and it's probably best you view me as such."

She struck the dummy one last time, this time it eminated a small electrical surge. She paused a moment, before spinning and swinging her leg in a wide arc striking the dummy high.
    "Why would you want to read common? There's never anything interesting in the books. Just needles arcane theorisms. You're better off reading dwarven."
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-04-16 at 06:42 PM.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."