New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: When The Avatara Walk the Earth....

Sslag shook his head and chuckled...

Why would I want to read common? It is more than just books that I want to read. You wouldn't imagine the inconveniences that arose. Trying to find services within the city is a pain, landmarks on maps were near impossible to tell apart...not to mention the embarasment from knowing less than my familiar about languages.

Sslag watched the psychical display with interest.

From that battle against the psion, I thought you were a caster.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

"I am."
    She said casually.
    "But I am a warrior first. I have developed a style that allows me to use the arcane arts with my martial, however against flying opponents, you can see it rather fails. And with someone who becomes rather immune to elemental energies...Well it only gets worse from there."
    She swung her right arm in a swide arc hitting the dummy with with her wrist, which had ignited mid wing and severed the dummy's "head". Sweat began to run down her face and neck as she moved to the next.
    "Tell me, Slaag, what are you capable of?"
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

Relaxing as his environment is, Othar can't but visualize the fight with the psion, recall how easily he was fooled by the aspect of the "old man", and the destructive nature of his powers. Looking at his old chain, resting besides him, he decides that it'd be better to sharpen his skills than to idly sit by.

Refreshed by the bard's healing and the good rest (its effect multiplied by his useful ring), he decides to visit the topmost floor and practice his martial prowess.

When he reaches the training room he finds the dragon-man (who had seemed quite reasonable before) and the young woman speaking. Hi he simply says, trying not to interrupt, and heads towards one of the dummies, lowering his blindfold over his eyes as he gets close.
    Last edited by elkhantar; 2008-04-18 at 01:59 AM.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

4. - Top - End - #184

Sslag seems amused by this question.

What am I capable of? Well, I fly around and hit things until they stop being a problem. Sounds silly when I put it that way, so maybe I should just show you.

He made his wayover to an undamaged dummy, seemed to brace himself, and proceeded to tear and rend the hapless target into a mangled pile of splinters.

Spoiler
    Show
    I quackulated the minimum damage from a full power-attacking all-hitting strike to 175 damage. A precision strike with the tail would have probably done more, but then poor Sslag would have to pick splinters out of his butt all night.

Now, the idea is to keep the target from moving long enough to do that. I didn't even touch the guy we were fighting.

Seeing othar, he straightenes up and smiles.

Oh, hello Mr. Ogre man!

OOC: I also wouldn't consider uranus to be an 'old woman' seeing as she is 26
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-04-17 at 12:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

((Thanks guys. Can't thank you enough for keeping the thread up.))

As Tahlin speaks, an almost mad gleam flashes through Karden's eyes. He seems about to say something, but he closes his mouth and simply smiles.

A very dangerous looking smile. One that can easily make hair stand up, and which bodes nothing good.

It is true that I do not know of that style, he says as he starts jumping on his left foot, the estoc high up, higher than his head.

But then again... he says as he starts tumbling back and forth, spinning the great blade in a way that defies logic (It is a very big weapon. HOW can he be moving it as if it was small and weightless?), ...You probably do not know..., he whispers as he suddenly starts swaying side to side like a pendulum, the blade now at his back and pointing against him, About THIS! He finishes as he makes a horizontal cut, as he abandons the previous position.

Spoiler
    Show
    First one to get three hits in wins. And here's the first strike, no need to roll damage, the estoc has temporarily granted the healing property to the kukri.

Attack roll: (1d20+50)[62]

Dozzat hit?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garris

Finding once again that drinking alone is boring, Garris decides to go looking for entertainment. Digging in his pack for a moment for for his orb and rod of restoration he activates them clearing his disabilities from strong liquor. He would still have a bear of a hangover, but he was clear enough to walk around and be personable. He meanders up stairs to the exercise room Hey all, how's it going?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

"That indeed represents a problem."
    She spun around and flung her heel into the dummy.
    "How the hell are we supposed to take out these other people? We barely survived this time as is.
    What are they expecting of us?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

The wiry elf is caught somewhat off-guard by the bards sweeping blow, but only briefly. Using the momentum of the swing, he bends back and to the side into a handplant and swings his body around and behind his attacker. Back on his feet, the lithe bladesman strikes twice at the bard's back, taking advantage of his opponent's momentary distraction.

Spoiler
    Show
    A bard with +50 to attack? Cripes! What have I gotten myself into? Yeah, it hits. (jeez, even with combat expertise and fighting defensively my AC seems to max out at 51... so there's not much point in doing either of those... better hit fast and often)

OOC: Tumbling through opponent's square (DC 25 tumble check), using the Acrobatic Backstab skill trick to render the first attack (of the (unorthodox) flurry) flatfooted. Using a feint attempt to try and render the other one flatfooted.

Tumble: [roll0]
    Feint (taking 10): 37
    Flurry 1: [roll1]
    Flurry 2: [roll2]
    Last edited by H Savvy; 2008-04-17 at 03:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't thinking and previewed post. Rolls:
    Tumble: (1d20+23)[31]
    F1: (1d20+23)[31]
    F2: (1d20+23)[27]

10. - Top - End - #190

Karden manages to dodge one of the blows, his strange combat stance saving him from it. He is not so lucky with the other attack, which hits him at about lung level. Quickly recovering, the bard spin around, the whirling blade turning with him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snowflake Wardance, I wuvs you.

Attack roll: (1d20+50)[62]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Firbolg in the Playground

After a bit of target practice in his room, he became annoyed. The arrows never ended, but the target kept moving in front of them. It was no fun if there was no chance to miss. He sighed and left the room, careful not to wake Criu, and headed down to the training area at a brisk pace, hands in his pockets, in full battle gear.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

How do we take out these poeple?

Sslag smiled.

We get better. This first time, we were caught off guard and were disjointed. Even though I doubt that these Avatara will be exactly like the psion, they may employ similar tactics.

Sslag flew up about 20 ft.

Now, let us say that I am a flying caster. Now these...

Some crude clay lumps form in his hand

These are spells. How do you think you could best handle this situation. Remember what did and did not work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Presto to create fragile clay blobs

13. - Top - End - #193

Sasach arrived just in time to hear Sslag's explanation. A game? HE was always up for a challenge... He willed the energy-powered properties off his bow, and and un hooked it, taking it to a ready position. "Well, I'd focus on precision to punch through your protections, considering that's the sort of shot that finally put him down." He commented as he approached the group.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tahlin grimaces as another blow of the estoc connects. But that grimace is replaced by a wan smile as he begins his counter. This was an extremely difficult duel, and he had taken some rather significant risks thus far, but his opponent had made one crucial mistake. He had put all of his focus on one attack, leaving him open for the elf's retort. Tahlin's weapon-hand is a blur as he attacks in a wild and rapid flurry.

Spoiler
    Show

Flurry of Blows, each as a feint (free action) DC 37
    (1d20+23)[30]
    (1d20+23)[29]
    (1d20+18)[20]
    (1d20+13)[18]

15. - Top - End - #195

Well, not all of us are blessesed with bows and flying mounts. From what I can gather, everyone in this room can reach me when I am up here in some way or another.

He looked at Uranus when he said this last part.

Magic didn't seem to work in that battle. However, if we had managed to disrupt his protection somehow, we could have taken him out in under ten seconds.

16. - Top - End - #196

As the attacks hit time and time again, Karden smiles.
    Well done. Well done indeed. This teaches me not to EVER drop those protective magical defenses I have. I considered you an easy fight, but I was proved wrong. I concede defeat, he says as he takes a bow.

I hope that, once the more immediate threats are handled, we will be able to have another duel, Tahlin. Now I must head back to the office to deal with the gigantic pile of work that has surely accumulated, but I would like to thank you for giving me the most entertaining duel I have had in weeks.

Getting a small bag out of one of the bigger belt pouches, Karden throws it at the elf. Eternadust. A delirious and insane idea I had a few years back, and of which there is little in the world. When applied to a weapon, this magnificent thing has two powers. First, it will harden it a little, which is always useful when someone tries to destroy your weapon. And second, For a few seconds after it's applied, you can concentrate on your weapon to give it...powers. The range of those powers is almost limitless, with only truly incredible effects like disintegration being out of reach. Use it wisely.

And with that, the bard turns around, and heads for the entry wall, opens it, and enters the bigger arena, stopping only a few seconds to stare at the group before resuming walking back to his office.

Spoiler
    Show
    Add 150 XP. Also, add three doses of Eternadust to the inventory.

As Karden said, use it wisely. I wasn't joking when I said it's powers were great.

Also, guys, take your time to discuss battle plans. It's fascinating. Once you're done, just tell me and I'll move it forward to the emergency.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Uranus smiled.
    "Well, is said psion were able to be reached by me I probably would have employed a different tactic. Something along the lines of-"
    As she spoke her body slowly shifted, and at the end of her statement she had become entirely invisible. Just as quickly a strange light flasshed behind Slaag and an invisible attacker wrapped around him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Touch attack, she's invisible due to her shadowblade boost so you're flatfooted, AND it's a touch attack. (1d20+15)[21]
    She then grapples him. Wether or not she helps exceed his maximum load is subject to question. Initiate Grapple: (1d20+15)[16]
    If she fails she simply falls to the ground, assuming I'm close to a wall she takes no damage.

((GAH! worse than my real dice.)))

During the attack however she found herself quickly out of her element and fell to the ground.
    "Or maybe not."
    She said exhasperatedly.
    "Unfortunately I'm not very good at counterspelling either."

((Why does the board roller hate me? -10 to the grapple check due to natural 1.)))
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-04-17 at 10:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Actually, Sslag decides to auto-fail the opposed grapple check.

Ooh, now we're getting somewhere...I screw up my theoretical 'summon dire moose' spell I was preparing to drop on the halfling. I wonder, can you climb on other people to do that?

Also, If I am not mistaken, you can shift forms into something more fitting for the job. Say, like that winged three headed monstrosity?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

((Oh yay, then assume I heald on.))

Uranus quickly fades back into view.
    "I can, as a spell. However in said form I am unable to cast spells. Atleast, I've never been able to that I know of. I can fly, however when flying I can only use my breath weapon. As a chimera I can only attack a gounded opponent."

((Unless a chimera can speak, which I should probably research.
    Okay, they can speak draconic, but can you cast spells if you only speak draconic? Or are verbal components not language specific?))
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-04-17 at 10:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tahlin exhales and relaxes. Hearing the bard's praise and concession, the elf bows his head in deference to his opponent.

"I am flattered and honored. It was no easy match, Karden. At the beginning I thought you might have had me. It was indeed entertaining, as you say, and most exhilarating. I look forward to when we may spar again."

Upon receipt of the Eternadust, Tahlin is somewhat lost in contemplation of the marvels of the powder. That was quite a gift the bard had bestowed upon him!

"Your headquarters are truly a place of marvels, Karden. I have some few questions I should like to ask you, but you are busy, and I would not keep you from your work. They can wait until the briefing. Until then, good night."

The elf bows again as the bard turns and departs. Taking a moment to straighten himself up and don his shirt and cape, Tahlin leaves the small training room and enters the training arena proper. He heads over to where the others are sparring and discucssing technique.

He watches with some amusement as the woman in black, apparently possessing some sort of sorcerous power, vanishes and attempts to tackle the flying lizardman. Not wishing to interrupt, he waits for a better opportunity to become acquainted.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the elf Uranus becomes a little concious of how goofy they must look.
    "Help, I've flown and can't get down.
    Perhaps we should take this to one of our rooms, where we can create terrain and actually attempt to build fighting tactic.
    And, by the way sir elf, since we are all apparently getting to know each other, I am Uranus, I'll leave the others to their introductions but if you'd like to join in on the fun of combat you can."

She tried to move Slaag.
    "You too sir Ogre and other new compatriots.. unfortunately I beleive we have much to cover."
    Nothing like a good fight to prepare oneself for trouble ahead.

Uranus was audibly getting excited.

(With that in mind is it possible to have the rooms work so damage, even magical is subdual?)
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-04-18 at 12:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well met, fair Uranus. I am Tahlin Ryavain, a world traveller and collector of martial knowledge. I am delighted to make your acquaintace. Indeed, fair greetings and well met to you all. It seems we are to be comrades-in-arms, at least for a time. I shall try not to disappoint."

23. - Top - End - #203

Garris

Well, I'm Garris. My job will be to find these arse's for us I think. I'm a tracker and sniper. I mix eldritch power with a bow and the skills of a scout to do this. I got a few other tricks up my sleeve but they are for special occaisions. I can hit nearly anything, and if I can hit it, I can hurt it. Fire, acid, ice, and or pure eldritch energy are mine to use. Mobility is the key for me, And I can hide from anything. Use me as you will tacticians, but basically my job it to shoot it and shoot it big.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

The half-ogre smiles, seeing Uranus climb to the back of the dragon man. Well, as I tried to say when Karden arrived, my name is Othar he punches himself on the chest, which makes his black and silver chain shirt tinkle. Father raised me to be his bodyguard, so that's what I learnt to do. Othar unfurls his chain. I'm good at hitting things with this, and do it once and again until they don't move anymore. he says, reducing his practice target to splinters. He moves closer to see Uranus and Sslag flying. Also, since father didn't want his enemies to reach them he explains I practiced to prevent them from moving, or from casting spells if I'm near enough. he adds, knocking aside one of the blobs of clay out of Sslag's hands from quite far away.

(OOC: Othar's reach currently is 25 during his turn and 20 the rest of time, thanks to his brand new stance )
    Last edited by elkhantar; 2008-04-18 at 02:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205

"Sasach, Adlerjager. I can hit a foe from a thousand feet away with a dozen arrows at once, as easily as if he were standing next to me. A foe that flees is as good as dead, and Criu, my mount, can outrun any pursuit. I can see the color of a man's eyes before most of you could even notice him." Sasach explained to the group. "On a slightly less serious note, stop walking so fast, I hate jogging to catch up with the group." He added, hustling a few steps to catch up with the rest of them, then slowly falling behind again.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Garris

Garris chuckles at the halfling. You shoot them alot, I'll shoot them once. Either way they die. Except when I skin them it looks nice with only one hole in it. The bug hunter chuckles winking at the Sasach.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Greyen View Post
    Garris

Garris chuckles at the halfling. You shoot them alot, I'll shoot them once. Either way they die. Except when I skin them it looks nice with only one hole in it. The bug hunter chuckles winking at the Sasach.

"One hole, lots of holes, dead is dead. And more of the things I shoot at actually die, thanks to all those extra holes."
    He added.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othar

Not that you'd get a lot of money from that psion's skin he adds. After a bit of reflexion, though, the half-ogre puts a face showing disgust Well, maybe there's a market for things like that but,ugh! Othar shivers unvoluntarily at the thought.

29. - Top - End - #209

Garris

Garris saunters along with the group No skinning people's now, that sick. Normally fuzzy or scaly beasties. Sometimes feathered ones but its been a while since I was hired to do anything but bring in the head of something.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I must admit I feel a touch out of place amongst so many specialists in ranged attacks. My particular area of expertise is close-range combat, particularly with the short blade, but I also excel at avoiding ranged attacks until I can get into range."