New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Castle Builders (IC thread)

You stand at the beginning of a dirt road leading into your newly acquired county, granted to you by the powerful king of the nation Gartonion. To the south, a large river sits in a valley next to a chain of mountains. North is a series of large, flowing hills, rich in ore.
    To the North-west is a bountiful forest, with timber and lumber and creatures. South-west is another forest, this time covering a series of hills.

You have just camped for the night, with the complimentary wagons of the King near your small campsite, a small fire burning. The sky turns red as the sun slowly sinks, and the shadows of the small copse of trees near you dance in the basking sun. The smell of smoked meat waftes up from the campfire, and the high grass tickles your shins, playing with them.

What now?
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Castle Builders (IC thread)

Draco pokes at the campfire with a stick, watching the meat cook slowly. "I believe that we should begin by examining the damage to the keep. To see if it is salvagable at all. Then we'll know what type of crews we can bring in and how many."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

3. - Top - End - #3

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    "P'raps ye've fergotten, laddie, but th' fort was tek'd by tha Try-umm-verr-eight. Thar's no fort ta be had 'ere." explains Bamnur, patiently. "'ave you been 'at my ale supply again?"

Bamnur grins, putting down Bronzeshadow with a dull thud.

"B'sides yer imaginary keep, th' best place would be tha hills - Hard ta attack, on 'count of i' being on 'ills, an' we ken build a proper for'ress, with a good solid mine."

4. - Top - End - #4

OOC: D'oh I thought we got the fort also.

IC: "Well that does not prevent us from 'salvaging' anything from the old one." Draco smirks and tosses the stick into the fire. "Though I do agree that the hills would make an excellent choice and mining is fine business. But we should keep the mines and keep seperate as much as possible, I don't want the monsters of the world below flooding up into my chamber."

Look to the rest assembled. "We'll also want to see if the rock in the mountains is suitable for a stone quarry. I am sure Bamnur could find us a good Dwarven Engineer to run this operation. We will need to establish farms, they don't turn much of a profit and take up space but we need a local source of food. A forestry company would be very profitable also. I could bring in people who can operate as foremen for both."
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Deyn stares into the fire in the darkness, strumming idly on his lyre. "The stone's going to be a problem, but I can do a good amount of the work with the lyre here. Personally I think we should be putting down roots by the river, we need people and money. We can develop the economic situation elsewhere on our lands and then tax everything that flows down the river.

All this,"
    Deyn looks up wryly, "is very good and chartered companies will be a good idea but we need to ensure we have a governmental framework. Are we even technically jointly counts, what about the succession laws and how will we administer justice. Oh and we'll need a few troops to help guard this place and wear pretty uniforms, I may be able to rustle up some of them."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ailae d'Orien in When the Voice Whispers.

Deyn Aygnys in The Castle Builders

Nicholas Nuttall-MacDonald in High Stakes

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius

Lucius looks up breifly from a Grimoire he found in the library. "Hmm? Uh-Err... Yes! Capital idea, planning, capital. I suggest we build on rock next to the river, if we can find such a combination... rivers are so terribly convenient..."

He pauses for a moment to consider.

"Perhaps we should hire some herbalists, trademasters, and such... people expert at seeing what will make money, what is useful, and so on."

He pauses to see what reaction his input garners, finger still holding his spot in the forbidding tome.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay :)

Can't remember exactly, but I seem to remember that rulers get quite upset if you simply offered their peasants better living conditions and convinced them to come along... but perhaps we can get some pioneers from the king? Preferably retired soldiers, they make excellent landlords... get ourself some tenant farmers, some lean old ex-military types... thats my kind of income source :)
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-13 at 06:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    "We ken stick a fort on the river and tax things like that - if we're on tha hills, I's going ta be tough ta attack once we're dug in. An' we ken have tunnels ta tha other places, too." argues Bamnur, in the 'debating' fashion rather than the 'roaring drunk and angry' fashion. "Dwarves ken hold their own underground, an' we ken always bring in some undergrounders ta settle tha deep firs'. 'Sides, I've already got 'bout 60 hardy lads ready ta excavate tha place coming in 'bout a week b'hind us wi' supplies, an' the Dwarf King 'greed to send a trading caravan once a month. I ken always send fer more, if we ken pay."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-04-13 at 07:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Dwarves certainly can hold their own underground, and," Deyn balances his hands against each other, "I may be able to use a family contact or two to garner some Elven woodsmen for our forest. We are going to want to build outposts in several places so we won't loose anything by scouting our land out thoroughly or even helping to set up a number of villages. However we are going to need a centrepiece and it will be better off in the centre of transport and civilisation, which looks like it'll be down by that river."

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc: As to legality and various other things, serfs were only forbidden form leaving the lands of their overlords under some systems and it was often not enforced. We need to know how things work in this world, and the details of our being granted this land, is our leader Nadija a Baroness, Viscountess, Countess, Marchioness or holder of some other title, or do we each hold titles over these lands, in which case we'd have to come up with some governing system though that could be held off until we have some people to govern.
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-04-13 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added my [ooc] thoughts.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

"Either the river or the hills then. We should conduct a survey to see which site is more suitable. The ground by the river might be too weak. But we can always put an outpost there or part of the township to regulate trade." Pausing for a moment, Draco pulls off a small piece of the cooking meat to check to see if it is done. "I would leave the formation of an army up to you Deyn. Make sure our borders are secure and that our neighbors don't get any ideas. I can establish a body of men to keep order internally, and make sure everyone pays their taxes, that they don't revolt and keep spies out."

Spoiler
    Show

Most rulers would be annoyed if you took their serfs away. But Draco is only planning to get settlers(and only his family to boot) from his birthplace, which is a tiny impoverished county. Not much of a threat there.

Also we can always market ourselves as a safe haven location. And get runaways.

10. - Top - End - #10

Everyone make listen checks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

11. - Top - End - #11

Listen

(1d20+10)[27]

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+14)[24]

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    Bamnur pauses for a moment, as if his ears picked up something, then keeps talking. "As I wos saying, if we set up on tha hills we'll 'ave a defensible keep abovegroun', an' we ken rely on the dwarves' 'elp with 'mprovements. 'M sure they'd be happy ta help protect all tha ore."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-04-14 at 03:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Deyn leans back, glancing out into the darkness beyond the fire's circle of light for a moment as he replies, "The mountain is a good bet but ," he raises his hands defensively as he jovially smiles, "and you know I don't mean any offence meant here Bamnur, but shouldn't we try to balance ourselves between the triumvirate, are we going to be autonomous or a duchy of the Dwarven Kingdom?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check: (1d20+1)[15]
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-04-14 at 10:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius

"I think we should put off decisions as to our affiliation for now... Once we know more about what we have to offer, and who has the most to offer us, then we can make our decision." As if unable to help himself, he opens the book once more and glances down at a page, still listening to his companions, but with definitely split attention. "Anyways, I think both locations require some attention. We should set up a dock on the river, and a fortified location on the hill, if there is two reasonably close. Over time, we can work to make the fort an inner fortification, and fortify an area for a township including the hill and dock."

Listen(+0)(1d20)[18]
    Spoiler
    Show

On serfs, and such.. I think other than clearing the major beasties from the area, getting a population here asap is 2nd. Building buildings is all good and well, but importing food is a ruinous expense for work crews, if you look at it over time... same with lumber, etc.

Lets convert these raw materials to lucre :)
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-14 at 02:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Tilting his head to the side as if straining to hear something in the distance, Draco continues "So perhaps a position between the two points. So we can use the best assests from each. Or we can even try to divert the river to best suit our needs. Bring the river to the hills maybe?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    "There's no use ta be had in settin' up shop at tha 'alfway mark. All i' does it make us unable ta defend either. An' tryin ta play every side i's only askin' ta be conquered. Ya need ta make close fren's ta survive. If we're all buddy-buddy wi' tha dwarf king, any upstart is gonna think twice 'bout attacking. Tha river's but a convenience - it'll mek things a wee bit easier on tha wallet, but it isn' goin' ta protect anythin' importan'. 'cept mebbe tha water, but I got a decanter coming down wi' tha expedition." responds Bamnur, sticking with his position.

"We haf ta take sides, 'cause if we're not buddies wi' someone, then when we're cryin' fer 'elp, nobody will come runnin' ta save are sorry 'ides."

17. - Top - End - #17

"In that case, I say we try to divert the river closer to the hills. It should be possible to do with a combination of magics and labor."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius

"If we are nobody's ally, nobody ELSE thinks of us as their enemies asset, we can trade uncertainty, and the possibility of us as allies for influence far beyond our power in the capital cities of our neighbors... and besides... I never said not to pick sides... just..... not immediately." He idly flips the page of his book. "As to the fort, I think you are correct, Bamnur... for now, building on a hill is of great defensive value. Later, It will make a nice spot for a castle. As to water... well. There was never any worry about US running out of water... but how about all our laborers? how many people can your decanter supply if we get besieged? And... there is nothing like a river to form a nice tactical asset... not like there will be many charges across it, so it gives us a guarded flank. I think we go for the hill fort, and look into diverting the river nearer to it."

19. - Top - End - #19

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    "Trading in uncertainties jes makes us a target ta everyone. An' if we mek a strike, we need ta have allies who'll come running when tha greedy sods try ta invade fer i'. An' who won' jes tek if fer themselves. Still, suppose it can't hurt ta be a little divided on tha issue fer a while."

Bamnur pauses to consider how many people his decanter could supply.

"Yer asking me? Well, i's pumpin' out 'roun 5 gallons a secon'... an' since we ain't runnin' i' by han' we ken leave i' on all tha day long... Oh, I reckon 'roun' 'bout eight hun'red an' sixteh thousan' people. Tha' enough fer ya?" smiles Bamnur, as the numbers add up in his head. "But les' say there's only a third ta drink, on 'count of tha rest being eaten up by farmers an' other stoof. Tha' leaves us wi' abou' two hundren an' eighty thousan' people. Enough fer a pretteh nice sized metrop'lis, dontcha think? We might be able ta use the pressure ta pump water up this way, but don' coun' on i' until I've 'ad a chance ta draw up some plans an' see 'ow much power we ken get out a' tha decanter."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, a single decanter fixed in place and used for water supplies can, in fact, water the entire city of towers and have a cool 30,000 gallons or so left over every day even assuming a wastage of 2/3rds.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-04-15 at 07:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

All of you hear a brush in the grass and a low growl.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Draco jumps to his feet drawing his shortsword. He begins to circle around to the side of where he heard the sound to see what creature uttered it.

22. - Top - End - #22

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    *Metal Gear Solid 'found' sound*

Bamnur suddenly turns in the direction of the sound, wrapping his hands around Kilrudshadim and lifting the heavy warhammer as he watches the sound of the bushes warily. He wasn't much of a sneaker, so he simply stood near the others at the campsite, backing towards the fire a bit.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius

Carefully putting his book down, Lucius stands, and stretches, carefully standing amongst the other characters. Mentally, he tries to decide on what sort of beasty he should summon.

24. - Top - End - #24

A huge orange-and-black tiger leaps out from the light, pouncing on Draco (-15 HP).

Roll initiative.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Draco lets out a scream as the tiger slams into him knocking him back. Bring his sword arm up he tries to regain his balance and composure as quickly as possible.

(1d20+8)[10]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius
    Init : (1d20+2)[12]

(at his initiative:...)
    Lucius pulls a small bag and candle out of a pocket, mutters a complex pattern of noises and gestures in a geometric pattern. Between him and the tiger (and right next to the tiger), a creature appears with a small *pop*. Its dark red/black fur and small horns indicate that it is a fiendish ape. The ape immediately attacks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff (deceptive summons, extend spell if succeed vs sense motive of ape)
    Ring of mighty summons = max hp, half duration of summon (lasts 9 rounds)
    bluff (1d20+22)[32] vs ape sense motive (1d20+1)[10]

Ape stats : AC 15, HP 63
    attacks = 2claws +10 (1d6+8), 1bite +4 (1d8+4)
    Special : Rend 2d6+16 if both claw attacks hit
    Special : DR 5/Magic

Ape attacks : full attack, Claw1(1d20+10)[14] (1d6+8)[9], Claw2(1d20+10)[11] (1d6+8)[9], Bite (1d20+4)[15] (1d6+4)[8], Possible crit confirms(i hate extra roll posts) (3d20)[7][10][13](30), possible rend (2d6+16)[25]

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[17]
    Attack - (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[7]
    Sneak - (5d6)[20]

Bamnur Thattileshtan
    Bamnur makes a surprisingly swift pace to flank the tiger with Draco, and swings Kilrudshadim up heavily on a very sensitive part of the tiger.

Little Known Fact - it works just as well on girl tigers as boy tigers.

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show
    Confirmation - (1d20+8)[14]
    Damage - (2d8+2)[18]

Go for the unmentionables, Kilrudshadim!

29. - Top - End - #29

OOC: Nice.... And it's shot to the nuts, by the way...

IC: The tiger is knocked to the ground, nearly unconscious from the pain. It lays there mewling.

OOC: Okay, that fight was mainly to get an idea of your guys combat ability.... damn.
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2008-04-23 at 08:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Lucius

Lucius moves back to his seat, picks up his book, and says to his ape : "Finish it." Looking at the rest of the group, he calmly returns to their conversation. "Well, it sounds like the Decanter will fufill our refreshment needs... So I vote the hilltop as our starting location." He looks over at the dying tiger. "Seems like we might need to patrol our lands first, make sure any laborers we import don't suffer any depredations."
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-04-24 at 07:19 PM.