New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Eberron With Giant Robots 00

A minute or so later, Merrix walks back into the room, speaks into a ring (presumably calling Cannith Tower in Sharn for transport), and then hangs around badgering Lieutenant Vedner for better coffee.

(I will cover responses to any generic activities anyone wants to do before leaving later, when I a) have a full set to work with and b) am less tired.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Nozomi goes to find some clay with which to teach Crowbar sculpting and amuse herself during the journey, boards the Green Dragon, converts the Aether to Flight Frame mode, teaches anyone whose job it might be to do the conversion how to do it, and then tries to find Crowbar in his explorations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

When finally located, Crowbar is in the ship's wheelhouse and asking the pilots all kinds of questions about what it's like to fly and what all the knobs and buttons do, all the while looking like a kid in a candy store. If the Green Dragon had flight attendants handing out plastic wings to the kids, he'd be wearing a pair. It might seem kind of funny, but Warforged Melee Unit Advanced Prototype 001 wants to be a pilot.
    Last edited by Elvith Jars; 2008-05-13 at 12:20 PM.
    My 3D art page: Contact Lost

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dencamp represses a sigh looking over the rail of the Dragon.

Oh well, dignity is overrated.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

By the time Shiali boards, she's dressed in considerably more military attire, a grey-black suit that seems to have taken a hint from Captain ir'Frey's uniform. Apparently, she's decided that going into battle in a dress—even with the aid of giant robots—is not the best of ideas. She's still unarmed, but then again, if she needs to fight dire wolves on foot, something has already gone badly wrong.

She smiles cheerfully at Dencamp as she boards, joining him at the rail. "It's pretty, isn't it?" She looks out at the view. This is the non-Sharn side, displaying verdant countryside rather than vertical urban sprawl. "I've never been flying before. There've been a lot of things I've never seen or done in the past couple days."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #276

Dencamp smiles and leans against the rail.

"It is. Though Sharn itself still impresses me. A lot of people think it's all there is to Breland, but it's really only a small portion of the population at a whole. Most come from small towns here and there. But still, seeing the towers for the first time..." He trails off as he peers further over the rail.

"It's been an interesting few days for me, as well."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

She nods. "Sharn is impressive. But you can't see anything there aside from, well... more towers," she grins. "Except maybe at the highest towers. Here, there's nothing else to get in the way." She peers over the rail. "How high do you think they'll go once we start?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Nozomi allows herself a small smile when she sees Crowbar asking all of his questions. She takes her notepad out of her pocket and writes "AP-001 appears to want to learn to pilot an airship. Lessons may be useful if a bribe for him is ever necessary." While she writes, she tries to gauge the pilots' opinions of Crowbar's behavior.

Sense Motive (1d20 9=25)
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

Having left the briefing room, Zephyr boards the Dragon at the appointed time. He spots Shiali and Dencamp and approaches them. You say you aren't one of the Inspired, but I've never heard of a common Riedran being allowed to represent your nation to the outside world.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

On his exploration of the ship, Crowbar finds a few things notable. For one thing, even discounting the massive extradimensional hangar, the ship is larger and much better-armored (via ironwood siding) than any others he might have seen. Any crewmen asked about this will point out it's the first of a new run of military airships, two of which have been purchased by the Brelish Navy, based on the civilian (unarmored) prototype vessel Golden Dragon. They're the first airships considered sturdy enough to be effectively deployed in frontline combat.

The other main notable feature (aside from the half-dozen or so each of ballistae and light catapults on the upper decks) is the enclosed wheelhouse, where Crowbar and Nozomi currently find themselves. While the ship still keeps the shape of a traditional galleon, the helm is contained in a large room under the stern deck, taking up some of the space normally used for cabins, the better to protect the helmsman and command crew from enemy fire. Other seats are scattered around the room for the ship's captain and other important crew members to observe combat in comfort. Visibility is maintained by magically-hardened glass windows which, while large and vulnerable-looking, are nearly as strong as the wood around them.

(Geeky characters are great for infodumping on)

Going back a moment to Nozomi's attentions to her mobile suit, she finds in the hangar Master Artificer Bazranak drooling over the new Mobile Suits, especially Commander Deneith's unit. "...I take back every curse I ever threw on the name a' Cannith. It's beautiful..." it doesn't take too much persuading to get him to pay attention and help with the installation of the Air Khyber shard in the Aether unit, which between Nozomi and Bazranak is done in about a minute. It's fairly easy to set, but require some precision to make sure it won't be damaged as soon as the suit starts moving. When inserted, the bound elemental stirs a bit, causing a current of air to rush over the suit and it to stand up a little straighter as the visible parts of the binding matrix glow slightly

(I'm skipping ahead to where current posts are. Sorry if you wanted a longer conversation, and sorry for not posting more frequently.)

As I said earlier, Nozomi and Crowbar find themselves in the wheelhouse.

"No," explains the helmswoman, an attractive brunette woman in civilian clothes with the Least Mark of Storm visible prominently on her collarbone. She looks about the same age as the captain did, which since she's a half-elf could mean anywhere from 25 to 45. "We don't hand out little pilot insignia. But I'd be happy to show you how to work a helm if we get some free time...Annie gets a little jumpy before missions, or I'd show you now."

Nozomi's social senses tell her that this woman is amused and a little touched by the Warforged's childlike fascination with airships. The other crewmen hanging around or heading in and out on various preparation-for-leaving errands are mostly just giving him odd looks.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, it's not really standard," Shiali replies, looking a touch surprised that he knows that much of Riedran custom. "Normally, I'd be assisting the Inspired ambassador in Wroat, but with all this Invader business, things aren't really normal. I think... well, I haven't really heard anything from the homeland, but if they're under attack too we're probably stretched rather thin over here..." Her voice trails off into worry.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    On his exploration of the ship, Crowbar finds a few things notable. For one thing, even discounting the massive extradimensional hangar, the ship is larger and much better-armored (via ironwood siding) than any others he might have seen. Any crewmen asked about this will point out it's the first of a new run of military airships, two of which have been purchased by the Brelish Navy, based on the civilian (unarmored) prototype vessel Golden Dragon. They're the first airships considered sturdy enough to be effectively deployed in frontline combat.

The other main notable feature (aside from the half-dozen or so each of ballistae and light catapults on the upper decks) is the enclosed wheelhouse, where Crowbar and Nozomi currently find themselves. While the ship still keeps the shape of a traditional galleon, the helm is contained in a large room under the stern deck, taking up some of the space normally used for cabins, the better to protect the helmsman and command crew from enemy fire. Other seats are scattered around the room for the ship's captain and other important crew members to observe combat in comfort. Visibility is maintained by magically-hardened glass windows which, while large and vulnerable-looking, are nearly as strong as the wood around them.

(Geeky characters are great for infodumping on)
    [ooc]That's why I often play them; I find the info interesting, and a geeky character has the skills needed to get infodumped on.[/ooc]
    Going back a moment to Nozomi's attentions to her mobile suit, she finds in the hangar Master Artificer Bazranak drooling over the new Mobile Suits, especially Commander Deneith's unit. "...I take back every curse I ever threw on the name a' Cannith. It's beautiful..." it doesn't take too much persuading to get him to pay attention and help with the installation of the Air Khyber shard in the Aether unit, which between Nozomi and Bazranak is done in about a minute. It's fairly easy to set, but require some precision to make sure it won't be damaged as soon as the suit starts moving. When inserted, the bound elemental stirs a bit, causing a current of air to rush over the suit and it to stand up a little straighter as the visible parts of the binding matrix glow slightly

(I'm skipping ahead to where current posts are. Sorry if you wanted a longer conversation, and sorry for not posting more frequently.)
    [ooc]It's okay.[/ooc]
    When Bazranak takes back the curses, Nozomi decides that this would be the perfect time to say "Why, thank you!" and smile from behind him. If he starts to backpedal like she expects, she assures him that she doesn't mind the curses since he took them back, and then asks for permission to show him how to change the Khyber shards.
    [ooc]Diplomacy (1d20 13=22)+Action point (1d6=6)=28+any circumstance bonuses you might deem appropriate from the fact that she's showing him . Using Diplomacy RAW to improve his attitude.[/ooc]

As I said earlier, Nozomi and Crowbar find themselves in the wheelhouse.

"No," explains the helmswoman, an attractive brunette woman in civilian clothes with the Least Mark of Storm visible prominently on her collarbone. She looks about the same age as the captain did, which since she's a half-elf could mean anywhere from 25 to 45. "We don't hand out little pilot insignia. But I'd be happy to show you how to work a helm if we get some free time...Annie gets a little jumpy before missions, or I'd show you now."

Nozomi's social senses tell her that this woman is amused and a little touched by the Warforged's childlike fascination with airships. The other crewmen hanging around or heading in and out on various preparation-for-leaving errands are mostly just giving him odd looks.
    "Annie would be the elemental in this ship?" Nozomi asks, deciding that if the helmswoman doesn't mind Crowbar's interest, there's no real reason to distract him with sculpting lessons.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    "Well, it's not really standard," Shiali replies, looking a touch surprised that he knows that much of Riedran custom. "Normally, I'd be assisting the Inspired ambassador in Wroat, but with all this Invader business, things aren't really normal. I think... well, I haven't really heard anything from the homeland, but if they're under attack too we're probably stretched rather thin over here..." Her voice trails off into worry.
    Zephyr nods. The circumstances are rather extraordinary, he agrees. So you would consider yourself one of the common Riedrans, since you are not of the Inspired?
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-05-15 at 10:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Volker mumbles under his breath none to quietly. "It would be nice to have one of the Inspired here, if the rumors hold any sway..."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, yes, I suppose," Shiali says, sounding a little puzzled at Zephyr's question; she wonders if she's missing some nuance of the language. "Why do you ask?" She glances curiously at Volker, but doesn't press to know what rumors yet.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-05-15 at 04:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Crowbar looks crestfallen upon hearing that the pilots don't have any wing insignias to hand out, but immediately perks up and beams (his eyes glow brightly) upon hearing that he may get a chance to fly the ship someday.

"So un... can I watch us take off from here? I'll be really quiet..." He says sheepishly. AP-001 briefly notices Nozomi's clay but immediately turns his attention back to the pilots.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    "Well, yes, I suppose," Shiali says, sounding a little puzzled at Zephyr's question; she wonders if she's missing some nuance of the language. "Why do you ask?" She glances curiously at Volker, but doesn't press to know what rumors yet.
    Zephyr smiles. Good. I don't trust the Inspired, quite frankly. I've heard that they're mortal shells controlled by evil outsiders who are using Riedra for their own malign purposes. But if you aren't one of them, that means that I can consider trusting you a little.

18. - Top - End - #288

Dencamp sighs.

"If we're going to be in engagements together against the Invaders, we aren't going to last long if we aren't willing to trust each other a little bit."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Yep," says the helmswoman. "We call her Annie, anyway. Elementals don't really have names. Or genders, but it's bound to a ship, and ships are "she"s, so a she she is. Hee." She giggles a bit girlishly at that before regaining a somewhat more military composure.

She nods in agreement to Crowbar. "Sure! We're just waiting on your commander and our captain..."

...Who are at the moment making their way across the topdeck, and past the other pilots. "That's not the most tactful manner of presenting a rumor, Mister Zephyr," Mina suggests wryly.

"Not to mention a bit played out, as far as conspiracy theories go," Zoren agrees. "You hear the same sort of thing about Khorvairian aristocracy, too. Queen Aurala's a conniving megalomaniacal dictator putting on a pretty face, Prince Oargev is a magical construct, King Kaius is a vampire..." he trails off. "Actually, that first one makes a lot of sense. Bloody cheese-eating Aundairians."

"The point is," Mina adds as the Commander puts on a look of intense concentration as he tries to puzzle out the Aundairian queen's conspiracy, "Let's not be so confrontational on our first day, okay?" She gives the group a warm smile that's obviously meant to defuse further tensions, offset a stern look in her eyes promising consequences if the smile doesn't work, before walking to the bridge.

"...and a secret army of beautiful changeling duskblades trained from birth for loyalty..."
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Volker checks through the pockets of his suit.

"It seems I've left my 'Prince Oargev is not a golem' informational pamphlets in my other jacket."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Shiali winces slightly, but recovers herself quickly, nodding along with the captain's speech. "It's all right. It wasn't the most tactful way to say it, and I think you could do better than to base your judgments off a rumor you heard, but it's better to hear that right away then to let it stew. We do need to trust one another." After a moment, she extends a hand to Zephyr.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Banned

We do need to trust each other on the battlefield; that's why I brought up the subject - I was hoping you could allay my suspicions. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still uneasy about the Inspired, but I'll do my best to put it from my mind. Zephyr takes her hand and kisses it.

Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-05-17 at 12:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

"She, not hee." Nozomi says, amused.
    [ooc]Knowledge(history) regarding the Power of Purity (1d20 4=14) That doesn't even meet the DC to have even heard about them, but if you want to give her +6 to that check so she'll know that they negotiate with the elementals they bind, I've gots something else she'd say.[/ooc]

When the captain gets on the bridge, Nozomi salutes her by way of greeting.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

(Nozomi's never heard of the power of purity, but she does know that sometimes Lyrandar and Orien operators, particularly the former, develop working relationships with their vessels in the same way that real people due with vehicles that don't have sentient intelligences attached.)

The captain returns Nozomi's salute, along with those of the rest of the bridge crew, and walks over to her seat in the rear-center of the room. Placing her hand on a device that looks similar to a Mobile Suit's communication crystal, she says, "Attention! We'll be departing momentarily. All hands and passengers please prepare for takeoff. Release the docking ropes and fire her up."

Within a minute, the ship has been released from the ground and begins rising into the air as the elemental stirs and flows brightly through the binding ring around the ship.

"Take us to cruising altiude, bearing east north east. Thank you."

And you're off.

On deck, Volker (and anyone else who happens to be paying attention), notices a familiar (to Volker) smallish sphere of metal roll along the deck and fix him (Volker) with a red gem that looks kind of like an eye.

<Just establishing my existence in this game>, Volker hears in his mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

"OOOOOOOO" Crowbar is pasted to the windows as he watches the takeoff.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you. I hope I'll be able to convince you otherwise eventually, but—" The announcement cuts her off, and she takes hold of the railing tightly, watching intently as the ground below falls away. She even leans over a bit to see better, once the initial lurch of the launch is over with.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

Zephyr also grabs the handrail to steady himself. He smiles at Shiali's reaction. I take it this is your first time on an airship?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Green Dragon lifts off into the clear noon sky, rising gracefully

*lurch*

Mostly gracefully into the sky. She's a big ship, after all.

"Hmph," says Zoren out on the deck, keeping his balance surprisingly easily for a big man in plate armor. "I never was one for air travel. Refreshing as the open air is, I think I'll see to my accomodations for the moment," he says before heading for a door to belowdecks.

Crew bustle about on the deck and rush in and out of the wheelhouse, exchanging complicated (aero)nautical jargon and profanity. Brelish navy sailors move around, adjusting the ailerons and "rigging" to keep the ship going in the right direction, while the helmswoman keeps a firm grip on the magical wheel with which she directs the ship's elemental, a confident smile on her face. Shortly, a blond-haired Shifter man with markings on his uniform proclaiming him the navigator's assistant walks into the wheelhouse and bows to the captain, reporting that the ship has reached cruising altitude and heading.

"Very good, level off, and maintain course," she says. "You're one of the new crew we took on at Vathirond, Ensign? How do you like the ship so far?"

"It is an excellent experience, my lady. I've never sailed with a finer crew," the man says, bowing again, and grinning a mouth full of sharp teeth.

"Very good, Ensign. I hope you continue to enjoy yourself," she says, dismissing him. "And how about you, Master Crowbar?" she asks, calling over to the Warforged. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

On deck, everyone sees the crew bustling around. Zephyr and Dencamp, however, both happen to notice the assistant navigator walk out of the wheelhouse and casually hand something that catches the light and glints oddly to a burly human crewman oiling a ballista across the deck from you.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-05-22 at 12:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

"It is, she smiles back. "We don't have them in Riedra." She watches the view and the on-deck bustle by turns; mostly the view, because the only thing she can manage looking at the crew is good-natured bewilderment.

"Do you think they still call people who don't know what's going on 'landlubbers' on an airship? We're still sort of on land..."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Banned

If they do, they've never done it in earshot of me. But you're wrong about us still being on land. We're over it. And airships can fly over water as easily as they can over land. Zephyr spots the handover. Excuse me for a moment... There's a brief flash of light and a strange sound that seems to come from nowhere. Then Zephyr is gone, across the deck next to the human crewman. What was it that the assistant navigator gave you? he asks quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the deck is more than 30 ft. across, Zephyr manifests hustle. He designates the crewman for the purposes of Dodge and Psionic Dodge (AC 17, touch 15) and readies an action to initiate a grapple with the crewman should he try to drop the object overboard. Initiative (1d20 7=17)