New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron With Giant Robots 00

"Is Volker throwing a party in here or something?" Nozomi asks, poking her head in from the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whatever was going through Dencamp's mind clicks off as Nozomi speaks.
    "No, no," Dencamp says, regarding her with a warm smile.

"Just talking, is all. Crowbar is quite an interesting individual."
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Nozomi get a nagging feeling that she should be worried about something, but dismisses it. "Anything I'd be interested in?"
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

4. - Top - End - #184

"Maybe. It was about warforged philosophy, I guess." Dencamp slides over and pulls a desk chair out for Nozomi.
    "I guess I just don't understand it, since we aren't really 'built' for any clear purpose."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Volker finally pulls himself off the floor.

"Not quite true, Mister Dencamp. We have the same base prerogative as any other organic creature. Survive and reproduce."

Volker stands smiling for a second, then collapses to the floor laughing again, mumbling "make-up sex."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Nozomi shoots Volker a quizzical look, then turns to Dencamp and asks "Do I want to know?"
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-04-28 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Original question felt a bit metagamey.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Crowbar immediately recognizes a potentially bad situation based on data in his knowledge base and whistles innocently.
    My 3D art page: Contact Lost

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Shiali follows Nozomi into the room, glancing curiously at Volker, since he's on the floor. "You're not religious at all, I take it?" She adds cautiously, "You are all right, right?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"What did you do, Crowbar?" Nozomi asks as soon as he starts whistling.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Banned

Zephyr chuckles as Crowbar begins to whistle.

11. - Top - End - #191

Dencamp liiiiiiives! Stupid board crashes... chuckles.
    "Nothing, there was just a misinterpretation, is all. And no, Volker, I didn't mean like that, on an instinctual level."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

"I know much more than the average veteran did starting out, but I discovered some new gaps in my innate knowledge base is all, Lady Nozomi. I'm starting to think that some of those gaps may be deliberate. None of those gaps pertain to warfare, mind you. Say, it occurs to me that since you start with a minimal knowledge base yourself and you must acquire it through years of training, that would... that would suggest you have an easier time deciding your own purpose." For the second time today, Crowbar looks upon the group in awe.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sure they only left bits out of your knowledge base because it would cost more to make it comprehensive or something." Nozomi says. "We don't really have a very easy time figuring out our purpose either, though, if we even have one. Seriously, though, do I want to know the details?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The next day, which takes an imperceptible but significant amount of extra time to come thanks to effing server load, starts startlingly early, especially for those who stayed up late analyzing warforged or debating the nature of existence or filing paperwork or whatever you people were doing yesterday afternoon.

"WAKE UP, TROOPS!" you hear the commander shouting in a voice that could and does give bonuses to saving throws, as he stomps around the hall in full-plate at around 0630. "Green Dragon's here early! Get yourselves fed and presentable for the VIPs!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Evening
    Nozomi goes back to her room to write a preliminary report based on her observations today before she goes to sleep just in case Merrix asks for a report. After she's done with that, she goes to sleep.

Morning
    When the commander starts shouting, she mumbles sleepily "Who blew up which lab this time?" and starts plotting the lab-destroyer's death until she remembers where she is. Once she does, she debates which outfit to wear, then decides on the same work uniform as yesterday since it shows that she's here on behalf of House Cannith, it shows that she isn't some useless ornament of an heiress who can't fight(her interview with Vedner impressed on her that she should avoid that appearance at all costs), and it can also hold her rods in case the Invaders attack during the visit. She scarfs down whatever there is for breakfast, refusing to complain no matter how poorly it compares to what she's used to eating due to the aforementioned aversion to the appearance such a complaint could foster. Once she's fed, something occurs to her. "Commander Deneith, why are you wearing armor? Do you think one of us is going to take your mobile suit again?"
    Last edited by Winged One; 2008-04-28 at 11:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Dencamp is up, awake, and alert straight away.

"Well, perhaps demonstrating battle-readiness will be important. I suppose I'll wear my armor and kit as well."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

"You've a point there. Where's the armory? I should probably get a chain shirt or something."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Evening

Crowbar poses nude for Playforged holds still for Volker to examine his unusual construction that appears like somebody took warforged to the next logical step, and occasionally mumbling "makeup sex" as he attempts to develop his sense of humor. Then, should it not take all night, quietly (for a heavily armored warforged) sneaks out while the team is asleep and sweeps the hallway floor, despite loudly proclaiming the day before he wasn't a janitor. And strangely, Lady Nozomi's boots have been polished.

Morning
    Crowbar is standing guard outside with his well worn armblade attached and ready for battle and pink fuzzy bunny slippers when the Commander stomps through. He gives him a sword-salute just before he blares revelry.
    Last edited by Elvith Jars; 2008-04-28 at 11:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Evening

Volker examines Crowbar for a few hours, taking much longer than normal however, as he spends most of the time rambling about Khorvaire's history and humanoid customs. He jumps rapidly from topic to topic with little coherency, so it's questionable if Crowbar is able to extract anything from it. Eventually, Volker simply nods off.

Morning

Volker awakes with a shout of "How did my lab get destroyed this time!" After a moment, he mumbles about selling all his better clothing for lab supplies and drags his carcass out into the hall.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Shiali is up and alert surprisingly quickly. She takes a few seconds to clear her mind, and another few seconds to fully dress herself (in a dress that looks very similar to yesterday's, but green rather than blue), and a final few seconds to run a brush through her hair, then is outside in the hall. She's also carrying the set of paperwork she'd filled out last night. "Good morning, sir," she says crisply, looking more presentable than anyone who just got up has a right to be. "Should we take these to the Lieutenant first?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The commander winces as revelry is blared in his ear, but laughs anyway. "Ha! That takes me back. But seriously, stop."

"Anyway," he says to Nozomi, "I'm wearing my armor because it's part of my uniform. And it never hurts to be prepared when it takes five damn minutes to put your gear on."

"And actually...I don't think people taking my mobile suit will be a problem after today. Hahaha..."
    he says, with slightly unnerving childlike glee. You can conclude that he, like you, is getting a new set of armaments today.

He waves off Shiali's concerns over the forms. "If you want. Honestly, I think that man just likes bureaucracy a little too much."

Deneith reminds everyone of where the armory is (where they can pick up any basic, mundane PHB weapon/armor, if they feel like it) and, when everyone's done with their business, leads them back down to the hangar and out into the same field where the Invaders showed up yesterday. The area's been picked over and cleaned up by base personnel, providing a sizeable landing field.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Volker noticed
    Spoiler
    Show

Somebody did a fine job with Crowbar's construction. His blackwood plant fiber musculature is pretty standard as are his enchantments, if a bit refined from standard warforged. His internal frame is comprised of machined adamantine, as are his armor plates. They fit together with a precision not seen on models produced during the Last War. Aside from the flush-mounted screws and what look like weapon hardpoints on his forearms, the most obvious difference are his hands. Whereas normal warforged have three thick fingers (well two fingers and a thumb), his are modled after human hands, giving him surprisingly good dexterity.

He claims to have been rendered inert during his first deployment in the final days of the Last War. He was discovered years later by Anthony S. d'Cannith, an unusually sane but brilliant artificer known for advanced weapons designs who rivals Baron d'Cannith. Since nothing in the Treaty of Thronehold forbid redesigning existing warforged, Anthony got away with effectively creating a new generation of warforged. It is puzzling though, if there was anything left of his original construction, it must be deep down in his core where Volker can't get to, because everthing appears fairly new.

When asked, Crowbar told him that he has four directives:
    1. Serve the State
    2. Obey orders of superiors
    3. Protect the innocent

The fourth is classified, even to Crowbar.

The warforged stops blaring revelry as ordered, and he looks intrigued about seeing the Green Dragon and its contents. Everytime somebody mentions airships, Crowbar listens, mesmerized.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Evening
    Zephyr fills out one of the personnel forms and turns it in to the Lieutenant.

Morning
    Zephyr gets up and dressed, takes a moment to clear his mind, like Shiali, and accompanies the others out to the landing field.

((Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the military wake-up call is "reveille", not "revelry".))

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

[ooc]So, by basic and mundane, I take it you mean "no masterwork, no special materials, no nothing" rather than "no enhancement bonus".[/ooc]

Nozomi goes to the armory and emerges wearing a chain shirt for protection from anything that attacks while she's outside her mobile suit and a short sword for murdering people who say she's a clone destroying any minor Invaders that attack while she's outside of her mobile suit. After she has armor and a weapon, she follows Deneith to the field.

25. - Top - End - #205

(No enhancement bonus
    No special materials
    Mundane only
    FINAL DESTINATION
    )

"So we're receiving more specialized suits? Were they being shipped already, or did our station send a late requisition following the battle yesterday? That's impressive speed, if so."
    Dencamp muses as he slings his satchel to his hip and follows Deneith with the others.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Hm? I thought I said. Or someone said. Your units were requisitioned as soon as you were recruited, they just took a little longer to get here than you did. And here they are..."

Over the horizon, at a surprisingly fast pace, a large airship is approaching. Quite large, in fact, larger than most oceangoing vessels, with numerous siege weapons on its decks, and an atypically shallow keel. Also surprisingly fast, the fire of its binding ring burning unusually bright. Within a matter of minutes, the craft is almost directly overhead, coming to a halt and shutting off its binding ring, settling down gently until its floating with its keel about a yard off the ground.

"PERFECT LANDING, CAPTAIN!" the commander shouts up. "NOW STOP SHOWING OFF!"

From the bow and stern of the ship, ballistae fire bolts affixed to ropes into the ground, in the only particularly feasible way to anchor a ship to the ground. Meanwhile, a rope ladder is tossed over the side, and two people clamber down.

"Hmph. We make a perfect ship that can act, fly, and dock anywhere, and we can't be bothered to put gangplanks on the thing. Bloody gnomes," says an older, bald man, higher on the ladder.
    "I'm sure its something you can work out in the test-type phase, Your Grace," says the other, a young woman who, from this angle, can only be judged to be wearing a heavy navy-blue captain's uniform.

This changes as she comes to the ground, turns, and returns Commander Deneith's salute. From there, you get pretty much the same view, except that she's a very attractive human woman in her lower 20's who would be completely unbelievable as a ship captain if you haven't watched the same anime I've watched.

Arriving just after her is a tall, bald man who looks like he's trying to look like a mad scientist, complete with goatee, hairless head, and thick spectacles. Everyone recognizes him as the famous Merrix d'Cannith, especially Nozomi.

"Troops, Captain Mina ir'Frey. Captain, the fresh meat you ordered."
    "Thank you, Commander," she replies, smiling. "Troops, His Grace Baron Merrix d'Cannith."
    "Hm? Oh yes, hello." Merrix looks distracted, as if he's doing a quick measurement from the ship's rail to the ground for a gangplank, but he gives Nozomi a nod in greeting.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good to meet you, Captain." Nozomi says after she returns her father's nod(she's normally affectionate, but she wants to be seen to take her duty as a soldier seriously). "Father, do you have any you-know-what bottles keyed to me with you? I know that there's at least one, and new suits that I don't know about that are interesting enough for you to show off personally are a bit unusual..."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Banned

Zephyr salutes. Your Grace, Captain.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Crowbar brings up his bladed right arm and sword-salutes the Captain as well as Merrix. He's trying not to look too interested in the airship but he's failing miserably. He watched the ship land like a kid watching Santa Claus climbing down the chimney.

30. - Top - End - #210

Dencamp does nothing so flashy. Instead, he merely remains at attention and salutes quietly.
    Spoiler
    Show