New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pink of Doom (IC)

Wellby

Torch in hand, Wellby zips down to the surface of the water and carefully examines the walls. He then peers at the water, checking for pointy objects before diving under to examine the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wellby's kind of rushing here to get the most out of his fly spell. Hopefully that won't come back to bite him.

Searching the walls as before (or doors, if there are obvious doors down here).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search for traps: (1d20+18)[35], (1d20+18)[38], (1d20+18)[30], (1d20+18)[24]
    Search for secret doors (if there are no non-secret doors): (1d20+20)[23], (1d20+20)[31], (1d20+20)[26], (1d20+20)[27]

Searching the floor, also as before. If the water is deeper than 5 feet, Wellby won't risk it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search for traps: (1d20+18)[26]
    Search for secret doors: (1d20+20)[31]
    Swim check: (1d20-1)[7]
    I set off explosive runes this morning.

PbP Registration Entry

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

To Wellby's eye the set up seems very similar to the first 'bottom' so to speak, four feet of water, a set of stone doubledoors. However, after a careful examination he's able to find a couple differences. First of all, this door opens outwards and unlike the previous door, should open easily with a light pressure on it, though for some reason it stays closed with the weight of the water pressing against it. Secondly, Wellby seems to be unable to find a trapdoor underneath the water.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oloren

The elf watches Wellby's descent toward the next door, then turns and continues while his spell lasts, attempting to enlarge the hole and discover the mechanism behind the door, and how he had triggered. He moves back directly in front of the hole he has created so as to see better. He calls to whoever is highest on the rope ((Thomas??)) "Go ahead and climb down - I'll go up in a moment and tell the others it's safe to come down."
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

4. - Top - End - #94

Oloren's creation of a hole through the door reveal that the door is attached to a series of chains, chains that are also held together by the arcane lock. Uneducated in trapcrafting as he is, Oloren may guess that it's carefully rigged to release the trap door if the arcane lock were dispelled or the door moved or it's weight changed, via destruction, or some of the chains severed. However some chains are still moving in the background as he looks through the hole.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

Oloren

Fascinating. With a quick glance* at the organization of the chains, the elf reaches into the hole and grasps the chains that are moving, as the acid finally sputters and its sheen fades from his hand. As he rises away from the door, he extracts a pearl from his belt pouch with two long fingers and squeezes it with a small smile. Reaching the top, he looks around at the waiting party members. "Should be clear all the way to the bottom now. Make sure to come only one on the rope at a time - we can't be sure how firmly the rope is tied."

Floating back down to the bottom, he asks Wellby "How does everything look down here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Int check to determine which chains seem to be most important in the knot: (1d20+8)[21]

Using a Pearl of Power to retrieve the acid spell.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

6. - Top - End - #96

Oloren is unable to figure out which of the many chains are the most important to the mechanism. However he thinks that one skilled in mechanical workings of traps would have no problem figuring it out.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

((Oh, I don't care if he has a good idea or not - he's just reaching in and using up the rest of the spell before it fades, and trying to make an educated guess as to the best chains to pick. If he doesn't have a good idea, then he's going for the ones that are moving.))

8. - Top - End - #98

Oloren proceeds to mess up the trap with some unhealthy creaking and snapping as chains are severed. Eventually they stop moving and he has the sense of accomplishment that this hasn't resulted in something worse happening. yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Dances with Sand

The dwarf, having already been down once before, makes his way down the rope again. He took his time so as to not fall, and looked to find an edge to stand on. "Ah, looks like another door. If that one is trapped too, I think Evinrood has some mental problems," he said, looking to Oloren.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wellby

Flying back up to the first pair of doors, Wellby peers through the hole Oleren made. "What have we here? Interesting...."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what to roll here, so I'll fall back on Search. Let me know if I should roll something else.

Search: (1d20+18)[33]

PbP Registration Entry

11. - Top - End - #101

OOC: I think I should probably rule that your fly spell will run out after you get to the bottom again.

IC: Wellby sees that it is indeed a complex trap mechanism...However unfortunately it seems like somebody has well, melted many parts of the mechanism. Though he's unable to study it like he might have, he is able to determine that it is now inactive and unless it has someway to be rebuilt, will stay inactive.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wellby

After examining the remaining chains through the acid-created hole, Wellby declares, "Well, whatever this did before, it isn't going to do it again. Which is probably good.

"As for the door below, it's similar to this one, but without the trapdoor underneath. In fact, since my spell will expire soon, it would be most convenient if we open it soon."

PbP Registration Entry

13. - Top - End - #103

Oloren

Then, by all means, let's open it. Since your searches found nothing, let's hope Evinrood contented himself with only a single trap here. Scribing a complex circular sigil which glows blue in the air before him, Oloren, inserts his hand into it and turns it as he speaks a few words. I trust you have a similar spell prepared, should we encounter any more locked doors?

Spoiler
    Show
    Curses, boards lost my first post. Casting knock on the door.

Train of thought: If they open inwards and don't have handles, it's just the arcane lock holding them there, and we're all far enough away to be okay, I think. He won't cast unless everyone is at least 30 feet away (which I think we all are).

14. - Top - End - #104

With the lock dispelled, the doors are pushed open as the water floods into the room, leaving the floor of the shaft visible.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Oloren

The elf settles slowly down to about a foot above the ground, just low enough to see through the doors, and five feet away from them, in the center of the shaft. He scans whatever passageway or opening has been revealed, his eyes glowing a soft, luminescent purple.

Spoiler
    Show
    Darkvision out to 90 feet, seeing magical auras within 120 feet.
    Spot - (1d20+1)[7]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[2]

....and if I'm lucky, that'll be good enough to see the end of my nose and hear my own breathing.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-05-19 at 08:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Oloren peers into a room forty feet wide and thirty feet deep. The water has washed over the cobbled stone floor and has slowly began to seep into the cracks. The walls of the room are covered in stucco and painted on them are a variety of scenes involving a vague robed figure wielding powerful magic and doing mighty deeds, several of which are deeds that Evinrood was supposed to have performed.

Six feet from the wall opposite from the entrance into the room lies a raised stone pedestal, upon which rests undisturbed, a coffin of pale stone, ornately carved with geometric patterns. For a moment Oloren seems to think he sees something strange about the area, however it's...very strange. Though it appears to have no magicical auras something still draws Oloren's arcane site to the coffin and the area five feet around it. (Spellcraft check)

Peering into the actual tomb, Oloren is able to sense a disturbingly heavy presence of magic. Though it lies in the background, seemingly in the walls and foundations of the tomb, it is still apparent, like a musty stench to his arcane senses. It cannot be identified as being produced from any one school of the arcane.

Also, looking in, Oloren notices above the coffin a roundel painted upon the ceiling's stucco. Unlike the walls however, this is clearly animated and shows a person dying in various horrible ways. However something looks very familiar about this person...why, it is Oloren himself!

Yes, right now the Elf sees himself being pierced by a score of crossbow bolts, blood trickling from countless wounds. Then the scene changes, this time to him falling, endlessly, his face pale with fright, mouth open with wordless screams, before impacting on something solid, skeleton visibly shattering beneath the flesh. The next image has the image of Oloren floating and gasping underneath some large pool of water, as forms undefined seem to dart past, biting pasts of him off bit by bit, his blood mixing with the water until it covers the entire roundel, only for a more gruesome scene to start showing.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Dances with Sand

The dwarf watched carefully as Oloren made his way into the next room. "What can you see, Oloren? Is there solid and stable ground?" he called from the first trapped door.
    Last edited by HellFencer; 2008-05-20 at 02:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Oloren

"Hmm, threats so soon, Evinrood?", he says to no one in particular. He remains where he is for the moment, trying to learn what he can of the room from a distance before venturing inside.

When Dances speaks:
    "I'm not in the next room just yet," the elf replies testily. "Come and see for yourself. I suspect someone should go first with a better eye for traps - just because I can see every magical aura in this hole doesn't mean all the traps are magical.

The floor under me at the bottom of this shaft looks safe enough - after all, Wellby certainly didn't get hurt when he was down here. I haven't seen anything in the room yet that makes me particularly trust its floor, though. It's...strangely drenched in magic, though I can't immmediately locate a single spell or even a type of magic it falls under. Best to proceed slowly, and with caution."

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting for my check results to do anything more exciting then stand and blather on.

Also, I think we're down to Wellby, Dances, and Oloren - can't really blame the others, though, after that long of waiting topside.

Edit: I'm adding a little bit, hoping to speed this up a bit. Please assume that you can fit actions in before this if you want.

As the dwarf and halfling reach the bottom of the shaft, the elf gestures inside. "Look there, if you're not too easily intimidated. Evinrood would have a had time making me fall like that, that's for sure. This is a fake tomb for certain, and perhaps the first of many.

In any case, I think you carefully trained eyes should go first, to look for traps, Wellby. But just to make sure it's safe enough for searching, I think I'll send someone a little more expendable in first, if no one objects."

He raises both hands in a few gestures of conjuration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Summon a Small Earth Elemental and instruct it in Terran to walk around the coffin once and return. If it survives, instruct it to walk around the room next to the wall once, and return. Its duration is up by then for sure.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-05-20 at 02:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Dances with Sand

Having found his way to the bottom, Dances with Sand stood beside Oloren. "Magic everywhere, you say? Perhaps this was not the best of places to delve into, but we are already here, so we may as well give it everything we have, eh Father?" he said, nudging the man with his elbow.

20. - Top - End - #110

For a moment the background magic seems to pry away Oloren's concentration on his summoning, however he quickly regains it and summons the small clod of moving dirt. Following it's master's orders, it completes the circuit, to no apparent adverse effect, before once again settling into the ground.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Oloren

With a smile, the elf responds "I'm not a Father in any sense of the word. The good Father Tolbin remained above, and has probably thought better of the expedition and left by this point."

He focuses again for a moment. "Childish. He's cast masking spells over the central area so that divinations cannot penetrate it. Still, if the elemental survived, then you at least should be all right. You're about the same weight as it - would you care to go first and check for more mundane traps? Following the path it took should be safest."

A moment later he adds, "I do not think we can be too careful about a floor through which water seeps so quickly."

Spoiler
    Show
    There, Wellby, don't you just feel nice and cozy walking into that room now? I'm right behind you, really I am.

Questions galore.
    Are there any obvious exits from the room?
    Is there a pair of doors opposite us on the other side of the shaft that we have not explored? (I guess not, but I had this funny feeling there was, after your first description - probably some confusion between "double doors" and "two sets of doors". Silly English.
    The elemental counts as a living creature for the purposes of triggering any trap, I think.

And lastly, Knowledge (architecture) to spot anything strange about the room: (1d20+23)[35]
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-05-21 at 08:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Answers
    Spoiler
    Show

1. There are no obvious exits from the room.
    2. No, there are not any unexplored doors in the shaft. I'm trying to work on descriptions but I think I suck at them a little :P
    3. I think I'm going to have to rule against the elementals counting as living seeing as they don't breathe, eat, sleep, and don't really have a pulse. The only thing they have is that they're infused with a soul, which even some undead have going for them.

Oloren, after tearing his eyes away from the ghastly display and studying the room more architecturally, notices that in a small corner it seems the stucco has come off, revealing a stone wall. The stucco is only a couple centimeters thick and could be easily taken off the walls.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

Dances with Sand

"Ah, sorry then. I must have been a bit confused. My mind is a bit preoccupied with the idea of death," the dwarf replied to Oloren. Turning his attention back to the room, Dances with Sand squatted down and drew a knife. Slowly, he pried at the floor, trying to discern any qualities about it. If nothing happened immediately, he would tap the tip of the blade on all the different surfaces.

After several moments of nothing happening, Dances with Sand would press down on the floor with his hand.

24. - Top - End - #114

As Dances with Sand steps into the room, the art on the ceiling changes, this time the person in agony is the dwarf. Currently he seems to be pumping those short legs, running up an endless flight of stairs. At the same time the ceiling seems to be closing in on him and as his legs tire, it seems something is biting at the back of his heels, eating through his boots and then beginning to draw blood. Eventually it seems the trap is to much and the dwarf is quickly ground up by whatever it was that was chasing him right as the ceiling hits the ground and crushing his remains. Then the next scene starts...

Ignoring the ghastly images of the horrors happening to his likeness, Dances with Sand investigates the floor. It seems to be carved stone held together by a seemingly porous mortor that has allowed the water to drain away slowly. Currently it's more fragile than it would be dry. The taps of the knife and pushing weight do not seem to cause any changes.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wellby

Wellby flies down and lands softly on the wet stones just inside the door. Holding out his torch, he peers into the dark room, looking for trouble. He then begins a slow circuit of the room, peering at the floor and paying special attention to any stains or cracks. He then gives the walls and coffin the same treatment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay.

Spot and Listen, just in case.
    Spot: (1d20+6)[19]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[24]

Now checking the floor for traps. It'll take 12 checks to do the entire floor. Wellby will do the outer 10'x10' sections first, moving clockwise, then do the two remaining inner sections. Then he'll do the walls, then the coffin.

Search the floor for traps: (1d20+18)[30], (1d20+18)[20], (1d20+18)[28], (1d20+18)[27], (1d20+18)[35], (1d20+18)[28], (1d20+18)[32], (1d20+18)[30], (1d20+18)[30], (1d20+18)[28], (1d20+18)[34], (1d20+18)[33]

Search the walls for traps: (1d20+18)[23], (1d20+18)[25], (1d20+18)[26], (1d20+18)[31], (1d20+18)[23], (1d20+18)[21], (1d20+18)[32], (1d20+18)[28], (1d20+18)[33], (1d20+18)[25], (1d20+18)[23], (1d20+18)[30], (1d20+18)[37], (1d20+18)[24]

Search the coffin for traps: (1d20+18)[25]

And now for secret doors!

Search the walls for secret doors: (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[40], (1d20+20)[37], (1d20+20)[34], (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[27], (1d20+20)[22], (1d20+20)[38], (1d20+20)[37], (1d20+20)[36], (1d20+20)[30], (1d20+20)[28], (1d20+20)[26]

PbP Registration Entry

26. - Top - End - #116

Wellby's Search of the front of the coffin reveals that, amidst the geometric designs is cleverly hidden a thin slit along the middle of the coffin that runs seven feet in length. Peering in he's able to see that something glints faintly from the light of the everlasting torch, a blade three and a half feet in length that currently rests on the left of the coffin. On the other side he's able to spot some large looking springs inside the coffin that connect to the lid, as well as connecting to some contraption of gears that connect to the blade.

Wellby's search of the walls and the room reveal no other traps and he does not find any signs of a secret door from the surface of the stucco murals.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Oloren

When the floor and walls have been checked by Wellby, the elf strides in casually, looking around. "I'm inclined to think that there's a secret door in that coffin, as we have only just entered the tomb, and it would be ludicrous to think that we were so soon done. You didn't see any other possible exits, did you?" As he waits for the halfling's reply, he walks over to the corner that he saw the loose stucco in. Pulling at it idly, he tries to see how loose it has become. "Not quite as eternal as you had hoped, perhaps, Evinrood?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Overly specific question: he's trying to determine if a very weak...thing (with Str 2, to be exact) could successfully pry off any stucco. I can explain why he's likely to be able to tell, if I must (but isn't being surprised so much more fun?).

OOC: stucco that "could be easily taken off the walls" makes me curious.

28. - Top - End - #118

OOC: Stucco is stucco. While str 2 might be a bit too low, it is reasonably easy to take off, especially if you have certain tools to help, though it might take a while to do so manually.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wellby

Wellby wrings his small hands as he considers the coffin. "The coffin is trapped. I'm sure everyone is shocked to learn that. A very large nasty blade is set to relieve explorers of any excess height should they disturb the lid. At least, that's the way it appears." Wellby then steps away from the coffin and peers up into the roundel, watching the gruesome images as they are displayed, one after the other.

"Oloren, I hate to ask this, but I'm a bit too far from that roundel to make a good examination of it. Could I get a lift?" The halfling is clearly embarrassed about asking, but it is equally clear that he prefers embarrassment to grisly death from above.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Oleren consents:
    Search for traps: (1d20+18)[38]
    Search for secret doors: (1d20+20)[38]
    Last edited by BurntOfferings; 2008-05-23 at 02:23 PM.

PbP Registration Entry

30. - Top - End - #120

OOC: Whoops, forgot a grisly image of death

As Wellby looks up, the image he sees now is that of himself, carefully approaching a vague door. He seems to thoroughly examine it and then opens it, only to have it swing together from the middle, squishing him into a pile of gore.
    Spoiler
    Show