New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default That Guy's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Small Intro

Not the least glimmer of light escaped the castle's tall black windows. Its broken battlements sketched a jagged line across the darkened sky. Castle Ravenloft brooded over a bleak, mist-shrouded valley. Constructed on the sheer side of a thousand-foot cliff, the terrible fortress was occupied by something ancient and evil.

The Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, Chapter 1: Inauspicious Start

Taj
    Spoiler
    Show
    Having narrowly avoided the search parties of the slavers you have come across a large gate.

Sarrana
    Spoiler
    Show
    The clergy of your church has tasked you with an important mission to find the relics of the Shining One thought lost in the dark realm of Ravenloft. On your task you have been accompanied by FuLeng, a Monk of the Lightbringer sect of your church. Your journey has taken you to a mist enshrouded road and in the distance you can make out a figure standing before a large gate.

FuLeng
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your first mission with the Lightbringers has you journeying to the dark realm of Ravenloft to find 4 of the Lightbringers sent there before, with you is a cleric (Sarrana) from the church whos mission is to find long lost ancient relics within Ravenloft.Your journey has taken you to a mist enshrouded road and in the distance you can make out a figure standing before a large gate.

Rades
    Spoiler
    Show
    In your travels you have gained considerable experience with your magic, but as always the desire for more power has caused you to travel again. On your path you have come across a mist enshrouded road, as you follow it voices can be heard in the distance....
    Last edited by That Guy; 2008-04-18 at 03:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: That Guy's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Seeing the figure in the distance and sensing possible danger, Leng puts her hand on Sarrana's shoulder. "Sarrana my friend, tread lightly for I see something in the distance. I will scout ahead and see what is lurking. Perhaps it is just one of the Lightbringers we are seeking? Best not be too careful, though." Leng crouches low and moves slowly ahead, keeping her eyes and ears alert and trying to avoid detection until she can get a better idea of what is ahead. A chill moves up her spine and she quietly knocks an arrow in her bow.

Spoiler
    Show

spot - (1d20+11)[29]
    listen - (1d20+11)[24]
    hide - (1d20+8)[21]
    move silently - (1d20+8)[21]

3. - Top - End - #3

Saranna

"Be safe Leng, may Pelor guide you back safely." Every part of Saranna's body was covered in metal, from her heavy armoured boots to her visored helmet. She would be of little use to Leng in her scouting, her clanking footsteps would be heard for miles. Instead she tightens her grip on her morningstar and touches her holy symbol, a silver image of Pelor which she keeps on a chain entwined on her left wrist, the hand she holds her shield with. Under her breath she says a small prayer for her friend's success and keeps herself ready to act at a moments notice.
    Last edited by Serje; 2008-04-19 at 04:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"My friend, I'm sure your eyes can get closer than mine, and your nose sharp enough. Scout ahead and let me know what waits."

Rades quietly instructs his familiar before setting him down on the path, moving slowly further down the path as he waits for his report.

The rat scurries off down the path, trying to keep out of sight and silent to the voices ahead.

Hide (1d20+16)[28]
    Move Silently (1d20+10)[23]
    Spot (1d20+4)[17]
    Listen (1d20+4)[20]

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

FuLeng
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you creep along the brush the figure comes into full view, A woman dressed in leather and carrying a overly large axe is looking at the ominously large gate, she does not appear to notice you.

Sarrana
    Spoiler
    Show
    As FuLeng disappears into the mist you think you hear a noise behind you but when you look you do not see anything.

Rades
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curiosity fills your empathic link with your familiar as it scurries off into the mist, after a short time it returns and lets you know that a person in metal is up the path a short ways but is not looking in your direction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rades nods and gives the familiar a quick scratch in thanks before cautiously heading up the path to the figure.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Taj had been examining the gates with a bit of scrutiny. She had wondered if maybe this master of the castle could help her, or he'd just turn her over to the slavers, or worse... The last two made a bit reluctant to scale the gates.
    She was startled by a noise behind her, spinning on her heels she brandished her greataxe.
    "W-who's there?"
    Her voice had traces of panic.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Sarrana
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear footsteps on the path behind you, as you turn to look a man in traveling robes appears from the mists. He appears to be carrying a small furry rat in his hand.

Rades
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see a person dressed head to toe in full plate armor with a morningstar and a shield, it appears as if this person was waiting for something or someone.

Taj
    Spoiler
    Show
    You dont see anyone nearby but you get the feeling you are being watched, in the distance you can make out a figure but you cant see any detail about the figure.

FuLeng
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman you have been watching suddenly whirls around brandishing her overtly large axe, she does not appear to see you but you are certain you did not make any noise.
    Last edited by That Guy; 2008-04-18 at 06:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Saranna

She had already turned around to notice nothing so when she again heard a sound and turned to investigate Saranna was shocked to see there was actually somebody there. "Who goes there?" she calls out to the man, her voice calm and steady.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Marquis widdles away at a piece of straw between his lips.

I hate this waiting part..., his voice held low, not particularly talking to anyone. The only other sound he makes is that of checking the straps on his mighty shield, embossed with the depiction of Lolth, each spidery leg curved into cruely edged blades. His knuckles clench around the shaft of his hammer. ( not bothering with a spot as I posted late)
    Last edited by JesterofEntropy; 2008-04-18 at 06:07 PM.
    Better to be an open sinner, than a false saint.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"My name is Rades. And if I may inquire upon your name and what brings you here?"

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Marquis
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are camped on the other side of the gate resting for the moment before you decide to head into the village.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Activates Flaming Greataxe, which is freaking big, hoping to create some form of light.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Whelp... I've about had enough of sitting around. Stands up from his treestump and dawns his helm. Taking in a long drag of the mist-air.
    (1d20+6)[26] spot
    (1d20+6)[22] listen

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Marquis
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think you hear noises from the direction you came.

Sarrana+Rades
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you are talking A small light shines further down the path, it looks like fire.

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

What was the saying? Curiosity killed the cat? He proceeds back down the path to the gates, slowly, keeping a level eye on the path ahead. When Marquis is about sixty feet away he diverts off the path and watch's for what had caused the noise previously.
    (1d20+6)[11]spot

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rades watches the flame carefully.

18. - Top - End - #18

Saranna

"My name is Saranna" the armoured figure says, lifting the visor on her helmet so that the traveler can see at least a little of her face. She stares at the light for a while before continuing to talk to the man, "I have been sent here by my church to find ancient relics of the Sun Father. I am not alone but have been sent with a monk from my church, who was headed towards that light. I don't know what brings you here Rades but I need to check on my friend, he could be in that fire. Follow me if you will, we could talk more along the way." With that she turns and starts walking over to the light, with or without Rades.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That axe looks sized for an ogre, but you look more like a woman. So cleverly disguised ogre or female ogre slayer, have you seen any Lightbringers come this way?" Fu Leng stands upright but keeps her bow ready.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rades walks with her.

"It certainly sounds like an interesting task..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OologahQ View Post
    "That axe looks sized for an ogre, but you look more like a woman. So cleverly disguised ogre or female ogre slayer, have you seen any Lightbringers come this way?" Fu Leng stands upright but keeps her bow ready.
    Taj crouched as the voice speaks up, wether ready to pounce or run, was even unknown to her.
    "L-light bringers?"
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-04-19 at 12:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

As Taj and FuLeng are talking, Rades and Sarrana emerge from the mists . . .

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leng lets her bow slack. "Saranna my friend, I see you have found someone as well. It seems these mists are teeming with all manner of strange travellers. See, this one appears to be an ogre who has been shrunk and disguised as a woman."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Taj's face flushed with anger.
    "I am no ogre." She stated not only angrily but in a matter of fact tone.

25. - Top - End - #25

Saranna

"I have found someone, yes. I'm not quite sure who he is though." She turns back to Rades and asks him, "what is it you are doing here, alone, in a place like this? As she was talking she had been looking Taj up and down; she didn't look like an ogre, like her friend Leng had suggested, but it was an unusually large axe she held. "My name is Saranna, Cleric of Pelor. Who are you, traveller?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leng

"Well, my second guess must have been correct then. I am honored to meet one so skilled as to slay an ogre and take his flaming axe. What is your name, mighty warrior? I am Leng, a hunter of dark things."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"The obvious answer would be that I'm heading from somewhere elsewhere, but I can tell that's not what you mean. I'm searching for new and interesting things, magics especially, and if any exist to aid the areas I'm less skilled at, I would gladly use them. However, to briefly answer your question, I am searching for more powerful and for interesting magics."

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

As you are all talking a horrible screeching sound emanates from the gates as they slowly open. They finally come to rest with a loud clang and with the gate wide open they seem to be beckoning you to pass through them...

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

The muscles in Marquis' back coil at the sound of the gate's awful opening maw. His grip on the warhammer tightens, prepared for whatever this foul land can throw at him. He did not like this fog one bit, making due with not being able to see past the damp air his ears tighten on the direction of the gate, almost impossible to hear anything beyond the pounding in his chest.
    Come on and face me already...., he says speaking to himself, eyes darting back and forth down the road.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Taj appeared to be offended.
    "I am Taj, and I did not steal this off some dead ogre! This axe was awarded to me for passing judgement and our shaman enchanted-"
    She spun on her heels and pounced through the gate as it opened, only to land back on solid ground.
    "What is this place?" she muttered to herself.