New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Airship B-38: All Quiet on Darguun Front (IC V1)

Ronald's point blank shot against the downed opponent does its work, sending an arrow straight into the man's jugular and the spine beyond. The hooded man's eyes bulge out and he keels over dead taking with him all the beautiful plot exposition I had planned for his capture, leaving the party with one fewer foe. On the far end of the barn, Fibin continues to combat the three Ogres, dousing them with another jet of flame from his magical tool kit and leaving their bodies raw and red.

Finally though, the Ogres have had enough and move in to attack the Gnome. The center Ogre steps down and reaches out, grabbing Fibin and grinding his bones together between his hands [7 Damage], while the other two both step out and swipe at the Artificer with monstrously powerful blows. The first swipe from a sword flies true and opens a long line of bleeding flesh along Fibin's back [17 Damage]. The second Ogre, however, is not so fortunate. Dazed and confused with burned eyes and blurred vision, the giant's swing cuts too high and, instead of finishing off the Gnome, strikes the Ogre grappling with him and severs an arm. The struck Monster goes into immediate shock and convulsions, releasing the adventurer and falling to the ground to bleed out [Confirmed the flub. You are one LUCKY Gnome.].

The Mounted Gnoll, completely indifferent to the scene behind him, lets fly a bloodthirsty howl and charges at Curra with a raised battleaxe. The swung axe catches the Drow across the forearm, leaving a 10 inch gash and spraying crimson across the grass [6 Damage]. His angered warhorse can't emulate his master, though, and fails to crush his target beneath stomping hooves [Curra, roll an AoO on your turn].

Spoiler
    Show
    Curra
    Ronald
    Fibbin
    Bad Guys
    Kleris/Neru

Last edited by Morituri; 2008-04-22 at 11:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Curra's chain darted out as the rider charged her. The battleaxe cut through the chitin plates of her armor and she gritted her teeth against the pain. Blood ran down her arm, but she rapidly rolled back out of reach of the warhorse's hooves, swinging her chain again for the horse. "Aim for the mounts!" She called. "We'll never know why the villagers died if we just kill them all!" She added.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO: (Aimed for the horse.)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[11](20)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[1](5)
    (Not sure if you add skirmish to an AoO, but hopefully.)
    Skirmish: (1d6+1)[5](6)

Tumble Check to avoid AoOs: (1d20+14)[1](15)
    Moving to I-4.

Attack: (Aimed for the horse. Again.)
    (1d20+9)[12](21)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[1](5)
    Skirmish: (1d6+1)[2](3)
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kleris notices one downed rider and realizes that Kibin is going to need the most help right now. Finishing his gestures, he motions toward the barn's interior, and another series of blue runes form a circle on the ground. Within the circle, a small spark forms, grows into a small fire, and finally grows into a swirling creature of pure flame. Jumping into the fray, the elemental charges toward one of the ogres fighting Fibin.
    Meanwhile, Kleris shifts his knees sharply downward. "Understood Curra, good instinct." Neru dives again to attack the gnoll's horse, before up once more.

Finishing summoning a small fire elemental, which appears in H10, which Charges O1.

Elemental Attack - (1d20+5)[15] Add +2, forgot to factor in charge
    Damage - (1d4+2)[5] plus (1d4)[4] Fire (Reflex DC 11 or catch fire)

I angle Neru downward to attack the Gnoll's horse before going back up with flyby attack and ending at the same elevation in H4.

Neru - (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage - (1d8+6)[8]
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-04-23 at 11:04 AM.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Keep them alive!? Maybe it's for the best."
    Thinking: But he will pay for what he has done today. On my families grave I swear it will be so.

"I'll run over to Fibin! Those ogres seem huge next to him."

"You guys can handle this guy right?"

Spoiler
    Show

Activate Travel Devotion.

Swift move: D4 to E12
    Normal move: E12 to E20

Shoot!
    (Ogre #1): (d20+12)[30]

Damage:
    (d8+2)[3]
    Skirmish: (4d6)[8]

5. - Top - End - #35

Fibin
    HP: 12/36
    AC: 18 (ff:16 vt:13)

Round 2

Fibin quickly draws a wand from his bandoleer, and activates it on himself, feeling the need for some curative magics.

He'll then takes to the skies, flying straight up, hopefully surprising the ogres enough by the flight that they don't take the opportunity to attack.

Meanwhile, Orien, the homunculus near his companions, says in a voice that sounds very similar to Fibin's, "Actually, he was in a tight spot for a moment, but he's fine now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Draw wand
    Standard: Activate Eternal Wand of Lesser Vigor
    UMD - (1d20+18)[30] DC 20
    Mods: CHA+2, Ranks+9, Circumstance+3, Competence+2, Artisian Bonus+2
    Move: Fly straight up out of the ogre's reach, 60 ft.
    If I can burn an action point or something to avoid AoO, I'll do so.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-23 at 08:59 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Curra's chain flies true as the Gnoll charges, leaving a seeping gash along the beast's flank but failing to stop it completely. Seeing this, Kleris and mount again drop to attack the mount, but the angle is wrong and they are distracted by the wild swinging counter attack of the rider to connect and do any damage. Seizing this distraction, Curra nimbly leaps backwards and again whips out her chain across and into the opposite flank of the now noticeably worn down horse.

Across the open space, Kleris' summoned elemental charges enthusiastically and attacks, but fails to get past the thick hide armor protecting the creature's mid section. The attack does cause the monster to turn, however, which turns out to be a horrible mistake: The new angle leaves a large enough gap under his shoulder to allow Ronald's arrow a straight path to its heart. The Ogre topples heavily backwards, wheezing up blood and twitching.

Seizing his chance to escape, Fibin moves with a sudden burst of motion and flies straight up through the air and out of the sole remaining Ogre's reach even as the momentarily stunned monster roars below. Deprived of a target, he turns his fury instead against his companion's slayer, and charges Ronald full out with a mighty swing. [Attack (d20+10)[25], Damage (3d6+7)[20]]

Now the Gnoll is all alone, atop a wounded horse and facing off against two fresh fighters. Seemingly heedless to the danger, he decides to again charge after Curra and hopes to finish the Drow. His attack misses it's mark, though, as does his mount's, and the counter attack is sure to be vicious... [Curra, and AoO if you'd be so kind.]

7. - Top - End - #37

Curra rolled to the side, dodging the wild swing of the riders exe, as she spun her chain around her back, sending it arcing into the horse a third time. She kept that spin with the free end even as she rolled, and used that momentum to strike yet again with a wide, arcing swing of her bladed chain.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[7](16)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[4](8)

Tumble: (1d20+14)[5](19)

(If the horse died in the first strike, I'll aim this for the gnoll. He should be able to survive it.)

Attack: (1d20+9)[19](28)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[4](8)
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-04-23 at 04:07 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Spoiler
    Show
    And that's a crit-threat on the chain.
    crit confirm: (1d20+9)[15](24)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Back of and die you beast" Roland yells as he darts away from the menacing ogre. Using his moment of great speed he manages to let loose two arrows in a rapid burst.

Spoiler
    Show

Travel devotion is still active

Swift move: E20 to E16 (assuming that the ogre must have moved close enough for him to hit me this should be within 30 ft.)
    (using his daily use of the armbands of elusive action to negate the AoO from the ogre)

Rapid Shot:

Shot 1: (d20+10)[15]
    Shot 2: (d20+10)[20]

Damage 1: (d8+2)[4]
    Skirmish 1: (4d6)[18]

Damage 2: (d8+2)[7]
    Skirmish 2: (4d6)[12]

AC: 19+3= 22
    HP: 34/54

"Take that you beast"

10. - Top - End - #40

Kleris' elemental continues its single-minded assault on the remaining ogres. Meanwhile he turns toward the gnoll for yet another dive, gawking at the massive wound Curra has just given him. He waves his divine focus to cast a small spell. Finished, a miniscule twist of clouds seems to converge on his head. He closes his eyes, opens them, and leans in close to Neru. "Well, Neru, Curra said she that wanted him alive. Let's see if we can drop him while she still gives us the chance."
    The fire elemental attacks the remaining ogre if necessary.
    Elemental - (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage - (1d4+2)[3] plus (1d4)[2] fire. (Burn DC 11)

Meanwhile, I cast Speak with Animals as a standard action, and tell Neru to try and do subdual damage. Neru drops and attacks the Gnoll as such, taking the -4 to attack. By the way, I think I was unclear before, Neru has flyby attack and so he can move before and after attacking but still provokes when he does, it wasn't just becasue I was casting a spell.

Neru - (1d20+7)[19]
    Subdual - (1d8+6)[10]

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Between the burning fists and the flying arrows from Ronald, the final Ogre comes to an abrupt end, collapsing in the center of the barn partially atop the bodies of three butchered farmers lying in a row.

Across the way, the Gnoll suddenly finds himself mountless as Curra's brutal counterattack snaps one of his horse's hind legs and collapses it for good. The Rider lands hard on the ground, having the wind knocked out of him as he lays prone and exposed. Seizing this opportunity, Kleris and his Neru attack and further pummel him in an attempt to render him unconscious. The violent blow from the winged beast is followed shortly thereafter by an even more violent blow from Curra, the tip of his spiked chain embedding itself in a shoulder blade. The Gnoll howls in pain, trying to rise, but collapses to the ground suddenly, still alive but blacked out from the pain.

[Combat Ends]

12. - Top - End - #42

Fibin
    HP: 23/36

Fibin flies down into the barn. He'll start searching through the remains of the farmers first, hoping for some kind of identification, but doubting he'll be so fortunate. Afterwards, he'll start searching the ogres for valuables, or clues about what they were after. He'll ignore the dead rider for the moment.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-23 at 09:07 PM.
    The Tangled Web

13. - Top - End - #43

Curra stood over the fallen worg, and yanked her chain free from it's lodging in his shoulder with a scowl. "Anyone know how to bandage wounds? We don't want him to bleed out before we figure out why he did this." She asked the group as she wiped her blade clean, and began to take his armor and weapons off him. Didn't want him to wake up with those on hand. Then she searched both him and the smaller rider for anything of use for the crew or anything that would explain what these two were doing slaughtering farmers and working with ogres. Filthy giants...

Search: (1d20+10)[2](12)

(OOC: Bossman, you do realize Curra's a lady, right?)
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-04-23 at 08:27 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

"This should hold him over until we can ask some questions." Kleris hops off Neru and makes some brief motions and taps the Gnoll. A quick rush of cold air washes over him, and his wounds seem to stabalize. "Neru, take to the skies, if they were riding away, they may have someone waiting for him. See what you can find, but be careful." Neru nods and rises into the air, when he reaches a considerable height, he begins a circling flight.

I cast cure minor on the gnoll, and tell Neru to do some quick scouting for anything obvious (groups of suspicious riders on a hill, more fire, groups of suspicious riders on fire, etc.)

Homebrews:

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

The three farmers you find are all males of medium build and varying ages; one looks barely old enough to be shaving with any regularity, while another looks old enough to be the other two's grandfather. In fact, taking a long look at the faces and features of the dead, you start to suspect this may not be that far off from reality. Their bodies all display large deep slashing wounds, but not surprisingly they lack any kind of identification papers or personal effects about them. The Ogres give even fewer clues with a thorough examination; they have the rough combat gear you have become unfortunately familiar with, plus one or two crude oversized knives apiece and some dried jerky of indeterminate origin.

Curra and Kleris tend to the two riders on the far end of the barn, seeing to the live one's wounds and depriving both of any weaponry. The Gnoll's gear is of the same rough workmanship as the Ogres': knotched iron blades and rusty chain mail, basic traveling supplies and foodstuffs. The Human Rider, on the other hand, you find was keeping some gear of superior quality about his person. His torso is covered in well-kept studded leather, his clothes are tough weather-resistant cloth, and he has a short sword and dagger of superior quality strapped around his waist [Masterwork Items]. Perhaps most interestingly, in his belt pouches, you find 75 gold coins of Breland minting and a highly detailed map of the area (which does actually include this small farm and several others of similar make in the surrounding hills), but no identification papers whatsoever. He has no tattoos or marks, no signet rings or badges. Not a thing to work on at all.

Suddenly, Neru comes flying down from the sky and races to Kleris. Communicating through the earlier and rapidly running out spell, the Bat lets Kleris know that there are several small humans slowly coming from the underbrush towards the barn and flaming houses.

[It's not that I don't know Curra's a woman; I just get confused with titles and the like at times. Especially when I'm trying not to be seen by my boss browsing these forums .]

16. - Top - End - #46

"Thank you, friend." Kleris rubs Neru's neck affectionately and shouts to his companions. "We have company. Be careful, though, they may be survivors."

Homebrews:

17. - Top - End - #47

Fibin
    HP: 23/36

Fibin brushes his hands off, and says to Curra as he passes, "I'll check out the newcomers. They might find my less-imposing stature to be more agreeable."

With that, Fibin starts walking over towards the small humanoids. He guesses they are children. Halflings would be much more aggressive, and its unlikely that there are other gnomes besides himself in the area.

He'll try to appear as non-threatening as possible, stowing his crossbow, and putting the wand back in its place at his belt. When he gets close enough, he'll hail them. "Hello there. Its ok to come out. We won't hurt you."

Meanwhile, Orien will fly back to the ship, and update the captain on the situation.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-04-24 at 12:50 PM.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #48

Curra goes over to the human's dead horse, and retrieves her boomerang from it's resting place lodged in the horse's body, tucking it back into the holster on her hip. Then she re-wrapped her bladed chain around herself, in the manner of a bandoleer, slipping it into nearly-unnoticeable grooves in the chitin plates, designed to hold the blades steady and away from her vitals. She gathered up the human's items, his dagger, his blade, his armor, and his gold. Brelish money. And fine quality gear. This one had connections. She could hardly wait for the gnoll to wake up so she could pump him for information.

She nodded after the gnome as he said he was going to talk to the small humanoids. "I'll cover you." She said, and arced through the underbrush, staying hidden and silent, going around behind the group of smallish humanoids, her eyes peeled for any sort of ambush scenario.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some skill checks.
    Spot: (1d20+9)[13](22)
    Hide: (1d20+12)[15](27)
    Move Silently: (1d20+12)[20](32)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Sticking to the tall grass and trying to stay as low as possible, you find a small clump of kids and adolescents coming towards you. There are three of them; one young girl and boy, and one boy who looks to be in his early teens, all with flaming red hair and freckles covering every inch of skin. They don't appear to be hurt, though they've obviously been lying in the dirt and mud for some time, and are tired and scared out of their minds. The teenager almost runs dragging the children behind him when he sees Fibin approach, but he recomposes himself quickly, and turns back to you.

"Are... are you with the Army? Did you kill the monsters?" He glances up at the floating Airship emblazoned with the Breland Coat of Arms and back down to you, obviously ready to run at a moment's notice.

20. - Top - End - #50

Fibin

"Thats right. We're here to help you. We took care of the bad guys already.

My name is Fibin. Can you tell me your names?

(afterwards)

Why don't you come over here, and talk with my friends. We'll get you cleaned up."
    The Tangled Web

21. - Top - End - #51

Children. She was getting too jumpy, lately. She slid back around the group, staying out of sight. After all, she did cut a pretty imposing figure, and theres no telling how a bunch of frightened children would react to her, except that it would be generally unpleasant. She returned to the scene of the battle, and leaned against the wall next to the unconscious gnoll, waiting on him to wake up. Oh, she was going to enjoy working him over. Anyone who worked with giants got a much less enjoyable sort of questioning. And the normal sort of questioning wasn't very pleasant in the first place.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Learning that you are, in fact, the calvary come to save their lives, all three children immediately fall in line behind Fibin and walk quickly back to the rest of the group. The two youngest are too shaken to do anything more than whimper, but the eldest is still there enough to speak. His name is Chadley, the others are his brother John and a cousin Tully. As you're walking, he explains that he was watching the two little ones an hour or so ago when the attackers came; there wasn't any warning and they never said a word but just rode in and chopped down his uncle and started throwing burning oil into the houses, killing anyone who ran outside to safety. The only thing Chad could do was grab one kid under each arm and bolt into the woods, hiding under a tree they all knew a mile away from their homes. After he tells you this, he gets very quiet and starts silently sobbing, just following you with lowered eyes all the way to the barn.

23. - Top - End - #53

Fibin

Fibin leads them near the barn, but not into it. No need to expose them to the gruesomeness inside. He'll wave his companions over and make introductions for everyone, giving Curra, Kelvin, and Ronald a chance to ask questions.

Meanwhile, on the ship, Orien finds the captain and after explaining the situation, asks him "What should be done with the children? We can't leave them here, but taking them onboard may not be appropriate either."
    The Tangled Web

24. - Top - End - #54

Kleris () walks toward the kids and pats them each on the shoulder. "I'm sorry children, I know this has been a very difficult day for you. Once you're ready, we can take you somewhere safe John, Tully, that young woman over there is named Curra, she'll look after you for a second while I talk to your brother." Kleris takes Chadley aside. "Now, Chadley, I know this is a difficult time, but right now you're the eldest and as of now you have a responsibility to your family...to your siblings...to be strong.
    We'll help you however we can, but you before that, we need to know what happened. Now, can you tell me, your farm was attacked by someone who was allied with several ogres and a gnoll. Do you know anyone like that who would want to hurt your family?
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-04-25 at 11:28 AM.

Homebrews:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

The two youngest children seem to hesitate for a second when they see Curra, but after that they calmly walk over to her and cling to opposite legs like living life rings and bury their faces into her leggings. Chadley goes with Kleris and listens to her questions, eyes going large as she asks about the Ogres, “I’ve never seen any of these creatures before; my dad told me about Ogres in his stories, but I never really believed him un-… until he…” He gets quiet again, wiping his nose, but looks back up at Kleris soon. “My daddy didn’t have any enemies. He sold fruit at the markets; people liked him, he is a… he was a good…” Chadley again breaks off softly sobbing, not responding to any touch or words directed at him.

Speaking through Fibin’s messenger, Helmsman Bostwick responds after a moment, “New Cyre’s the closest city; we could be there in hours. Sterngate’s even closer, but that’s a military post; children shouldn’t be there.”

26. - Top - End - #56

Fibin

Fibin looks at Curra, thinking to himself Poor girl. She probably doesn't want to be a nanny. Oh well. She'll live.

He turns to the elder boy, and after giving him a moment to compose himself, asks "Do you have any other family? An aunt or uncle somewhere? We can take you to them."
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #57

Curra blinked, her arms hovering at her sides awkwardly, trying not to touch the kids. Children were not her strong point. She knew she should try to comfort them, but how to do that was completely beyond her experience. When she was their age (proportionally), she was killing venomous snakes as big as people. Drow were not known for their kind and caring methods of child-rearing. She reached down and softly patted each of the children's heads, hesitantly.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Wiping his nose, Chadley looks to the row of burned down houses, "We were all here. All my family."

29. - Top - End - #59

Kleris whistles sharply, summoning Neru. "It's okay Chadley, that's enough for right now. We'll take you somewhere safe." Kleris pats Neru on the neck. "This is Neru, he's very gentle, so don't worry. You and your siblings should get on his back and he'll take you up to our ship. From there, we can find somewhere for you to go."

Homebrews:

30. - Top - End - #60

Fibin

"Word from the ship is that New Cyre is the closest location. We can have them there within a few hours."

Once the children are safely away, he'll turn his attention towards the prisoner. "Well, lads, what should we do about our other guest?"
    The Tangled Web