New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Airship B-38: All Quiet on Darguun Front (IC V1)

OOC: I was just going ahead. They all know the same things, and she's got the highest charisma, after all. Get everything done at once, and all that.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kleris puts on a lax smile and brushes off his rugged clothes. He reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small, flat, pentagonal box, with an image of twirling tentacles surrounded by lightning bolts. He flips it open, revealing a small picture of himself with a series of caligraphic notations. He rests his right hand next to it, showing a ring bearing a gemstone with an elaborate shimmering symbol engraved inside it. "I'm glad I caught you then. My name is Kleris Montanye, and I work for House Lyrandar. Recently, one of their nobles was on a diplomatic mission here in Breland and was attacked by several brigands while traveling. The Brelish military managed to catch the thugs, and they recovered some documents that you may be able to help us with." Kleris draws the map out and unrolls it before the clerk. "Now, both House Lyrandar and the Brelish military would very much like to know who commissioned this document. If you could please tell me, I'll make sure that both parties know you cooperated fully." Kleris smiles as wide as he is able and waits for the clerk's response.

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[25]

The documents I draw are my identification papers and my Arcane Signet Ring. My story is perhaps a bit of an exagerration, but I am in fact a noble from House Lyrandar on a diplomatic, I was in fact attacked by Brigands, and I the Brelish Military did catch them.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Blacksmith
    Taking back the shortsword, the Blacksmith turns it over a couple times in his hand, staring intently at the hilt. After a moment of contemplation he grunts, leaning forward and motioning towards the top end of the hand grip, "It's just what I was sayin'. This sword is from one of the Cannith forging shops, a big one. Pumped out hundreds, thousands just like it for the war, and were none too picky about who to sell 'em to, before or after the fighting stopped. 'Round these parts, a man has a sword like this, it's a fair bet he was a soldier higher than your average pike hauler, and a fairer bet that he was Cyre or Breland born, but those ain't the only options you'll be findin', not by a long shot. Sorry I can't help you more." Leaning back and smiling, he says, "As for the price, 500 may be what another shop pays for the lot, but here I ain't goin' any higher than 425 stamped coins. Final offer sir."

Cartographer
    [The best lie is one that contains only truth .]
    "Oh dear!" Cries the man, dark thin fingers coming quickly to his mouth. "Yes, of course I will help you, let me see that..." Taking the map, he quickly reads it over, taking in the entirety of the thing and the seal of his firm emblazoned on the corner. "One of ours, most definitely. I remember this order, not three months back we finished it up. A half dozen just like this, two oversized of the same area, and a nice collection of some prerendered smaller detail bits of the countryside. Now who was it that came in for these... A moment, good sir. BRAMBLES!!!" Turning, he marches into the back room where you can hear him shout words like 'files,' 'crate,' 'customer,' and 'are you seriously already that drunk' at rotating intervals.

After a time the man returns, breathing heavily and carrying a small stack of parchment under an arm while he examines a single sheet through half-moon spectacles. Nodding and speaking much slower now, he says airily, "Here it is... Montgonary LeChidle...? That can't be right...?" Regaining his focus, he sets down the parchment on his desk and turns back to you. "I have the work order here, sir, but I'm sure this can't be the man who attacked the noble you spoke of. Sir LeChidle was a respectful merchant in the old country before- Well, before the Day of Mourning, sir. Lived here ever since. And he may have lost most of his wealth with the- the- ...you know, but he's certainly no pauper now. Can't imagine him doing anything criminal in the slightest." A misty haze of pleasant memories comes over the man as he continues, not staring in any particular direction as his mind's eye focuses on the past, "I remember now. He said he was looking into some new merchant routes for a new company he was an owner on. Said they needed the new maps so that they could raft in some supplies up our rivers and straight into the city, no more Orien Lightning Rail fees, thank you very much. He was even asking about maps in Darguun territory, strange enough, though he is the kind of crazy who just might actually turn a profit shippin' over there, eh?" He laughs a bit to himself and turns back to you. "Here's his address if you still want to speak about things. Might be one of his people got stolen from, an that's how the map got out."

City Hall
    [Sounds good; I'm expecting the other two to join up before the meeting's done anyway.]
    You cut a striking figure as you boldly enter the New Cyre City Hall. An aide greets you near the door, leading you up a set of stairs so new the wood hasn't been stained yet and into a large audience chamber. Inside the room are two frightened middle aged gentlemen wearing business attire adorned with Cyran colors and a stone-faced Major of the Breland Royal Army. The major throws you a salute, raising an eyebrow slightly as he catches your mode of dress, though quickly composing himself and extending a hand, "You would be Curra Kutak. I am Major deCartwright, liaison to the city. I understand your patrol was attacked en route to this location?"

One of the bureaucrats breaks in, his voice quavering slightly, "Is it true? Are the Goblins invading us?"

4. - Top - End - #124

Kleris picks up the map and begins to roll it up. "I'm sure Mister Le Chidle isn't involved in anything underhanded. The attackers were thieves preying on farmers, it's most likely that some pickpocket acquired the map secondhanded...it probably just fell off a cart." Kleris bows respectfully. "Regardless, thank you very much. I really just wanted to make sure you weren't selling to criminals. Since that's clearly not the case, I'll make sure to mention your helpfulness to House Lyrandar and the Brelish." Kleris traces some linework on a display map with his fingers, and shoots a friendly smile. "Not to mention the quality of your work. The Windwrights are always looking for quality work on outside of Aundair." Kleris gives a friendly smile, nods his head. And makes his way out.
    Once he's a safe distance outside of the shop, Kleris takes a moment to find a reasonably nearby cafe. Ordering a cup of tea, he takes a moment to take stock of his situation. "Cyrean noblemen, this is only going to get worse," he mutters to himself.
    Kleris finishes his tea, drops a gold piece on the counter and heads toward city hall. "Well, I should go bail Curra out."

Homebrews:

Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

5. - Top - End - #125

Curra nods to each of them in turn, shaking the liason's hand. "No on both counts, sirs. Allow me to explain. We were on our way to this location when we noted a plume of smoke rising from a farming village. When we went down to investigate, we discovered a group of three ogres, a human and a gnoll, along with the bodies of three civilians. We managed to defeat the ogres and the human, and captured the gnoll, who remains in a cell aboard our ship, bound. Searching the fallen, we discovered a map, detailing locations of several other similar towns, along with travel times. We appear to have been too late to save two of the marked locations, but we managed to evacuate the rest of the marked locales before any further casualties. There is evidence that shows a more coordinated offensive than most brigands are capable of, however, there has been no hinting towards an assault by Darguun forces. Indeed, apart from the location, the group of assailants seemed more consistent with the residents of Droamm." She explained to the two officials.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Cartographer
    Brightening up at the mention of name dropping, the man stands tall and nods his head feverishly as he paces behind the counter, saying, "My pleasure sir, really! And thank you kindly for the words to your friends; Host knows business could be better down at our end of the world and I'd love to make acquaintance with your Windwrights. Lookin' to expand our circle of geographic knowledge as well, all the way to the borders and maybe a bit beyond, you catch my meanin', and any chance I get to sell to fine companies and businesses..." You get the feeling he continues to talk in the manner even after you leave the store behind.

[Join up with Curra in the city hall after a bit when it feels right/dramatic.]

City Hall
    The second bureaucrat lets out a sigh of relief when you say you were able to rescue the other villagers. Stepping forward and firmly shaking your hand he says, "Ma'am, thank you so much for saving those people's lives. Were the prince here I'm certain he'd want to thank you personally, though I can say that if there is any way New Cyre could serve you or your crew we will gladly help, just name it."

The first bureaucrat mirthlessly laughs at the situation, "Of course it was the Goblins; everyone knows they're just biding their time to come in and take our land from under us, and it seems now they're finally coming. Cleaver monsters, hiring Droamm thugs to do their dirty work for them." Turning to you, "I trust you'll be turning over the Gnoll to the city for execution? I can send guards now to collect him."
    Last edited by Morituri; 2008-05-07 at 01:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

"Thank you, sir." She said to the second. Then she turned to the first. "No. The gnoll will stay on my ship until he stops giving us useful information." Curra said firmly. "He's the most useful contact we have to learn more about this situation. If I can work this right, we'll be able to find the source of this whole mess and put a stop to whoever is pulling the strings once and for all." She added. "What I need from you is your full support on any future plans that may emerge from me or my crewmates. We need to know if we can count on your aid or if we'll have to do it without you."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Fibin

"Well... Alright. You have a deal at 425. Had it been anyone else, I'd have taken my leave by now, but you've done a great service for me, so I'll accept your price."

The gnome makes the trade, and then heads off to find a few more shops. Checking off the mental list in his head, he wants to get some base material components for his crafting project still.

{OOC: I don't know how detailed you want to make this. Let me know.}
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

[Just let me know if you buy anything big/weird, or if I need to expect you to make anything big/weird from seemingly harmless and mundane items. Join up with the City Hall when it feels right.]

Nodding sincerely, the second bureaucrat says, "Yes, of course. Any way we can assist you we shall. Oh!" he says, turning a bit red, "I don't believe we have been introduced, actually. My name is Phillip ir'Laggio, Second Administrator to the City of New Cyre, and my companion," gesturing to the other man who nods gravely, "Is Daniel Skanns, Lord of Coin for the City."

Lord Skanns speaks now, his tone a low gravelly compliment to his companion's quick lively manner, "I still feel we should at least move the Gnoll to more secure holdings if you are not ready to have his head just yet. What has it told you that you still need to keep it alive for? And what plans will you be requiring assistance with?"

10. - Top - End - #130

"It's a pleasure to meet both of you. You already know my name, so we can skip that portion of the formalities." She replied to Phillip, bowing slightly, before turning to Daniel. "There are three reasons we're leaving him on the ship. One, he will be consistently surrounded by four able warriors. Two, he'll be at the top of the airship dock which means a long, and extremely noticeable descent, and one of our number is partnered with a massive bat. Simply put, if he does escape, we can catch him before he ever reaches ground level. And third, this gnoll is a dangerous criminal and the methods required to extract information are not necessarily something you want your city associated with, if you catch my meaning." She explained. "My prior interrogation was cut short by the rescue of the evacuees, however, before I had to leave, he made mention of a meeting of those responsible, taking place two days from now. The details aren't solid yet, but by tomorrow, I should have a time and place, even details of how to infiltrate the locale and the defenses expected. Assistance would be in the form of backup and support from whatever troops you could spare."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

Fibin

Fibin completes his shopping, picking up enough materials to create something big and wierd, although he's not quite sure what yet, and either way, he won't be starting it until later.

With his purchases securely stowed, he heads off to find the mapmakers, and see how Kleris has made out.
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

"Six warriors, actually," the Major cuts in, stopping whatever Lord Skanns was about to say dead in his throat. "I've requisitioned some additional support from the local garrison to supplement your numbers. They should be coming arriving soon, either here or at the Airship port. Unfortunately, though, that will be all that I can spare from the local garrison; we're understaffed as it is, and every man I have is working double shifts to help deal with these increased border attacks we've been experiencing lately, not to mention the men we'd need to defend against whatever's out there, whether it's the Goblins Lord Skanns seems to think it is or otherwise."

Pausing to rub his chin, he turns back to you after a moment, "Sterngate has the men you'd need, at least the start of 'em. Host, what I'd give to have Argonth nearby again..."

Lord ir'Laggio takes the opportunity to add his input, "It's true what he says about our garrison. Between yours and ours we're stretched to the limit, though once you get your solid information, I am quite confident our soldiers would be grateful to have the opportunity to attack those who have been plaguing us these months." He leans back and smiles, "Is there anything else we may assist you with? And will we have the chance to meet your companions before you depart?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Arinon

It was upon the mention of six warriors that he stepped forth, clad in lustrous armor. With a tall and muscular build, his brown hair cascaded down and dappled along the metallic armor while brown eyes gleamed with vigorous purpose. One could tell that he deemed himself apt to the task he had been proposed. He had arrived as quickly as possible after having ended his shift a few days ago along the border. Extending a courteous bow, he decides to speak, his baritone voice showing a commanding spirit. "My name is Arinon Pravanti, emblazoned by the Silver Flame to aid you from here on out." He stood up straight yet again and offered a small smile as he looked at Curra, then nodded to the rest within this room to acknowledge them all.

It was a miracle how he maneuvered himself through all of that armor at times but he stepped forward once and was left at the mercy of first impressions now.

14. - Top - End - #134

Curra frowned. Six warriors? Hardly enough to wage a frontal assault on any sort of encampment. Still, whatever help they could get would be welcome. They could go to Sterngate tomorrow, and be back in time to march out to the site. She snapped out of her planning as the armor-clad stranger stepped forth. She arced an eyebrow at him. The silver flame? A cleric? She could only hope he wasn't one of those overzealous crusaders the silver flame was so famous for. "Greetings." She said, giving a slight bow. "I am Curra Kutak, soldier in the employ of the Brelish military, if you didn't already guess." She explained to the newcomer, then turned to the other two in the room. "I was about to ask that you send a message to sterngate and ask for additional support. Use house Sivis, they will get the message across the fastest, and if we hurry, we may just have the forces necessary to end this when it comes time. I have to start asking questions if we hope to know what we must in time, so I'm afraid I must take my leave of you gentlemen. The rest of my crewmates should come by at some point, though I couldn't tell you when." She told the bureaucrats. "Newbie, walk with me." she added curtly to the armored soldier as she started out of the office.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Arinon

At the newbie comment, he wondered what this Curra woman was like. It failed to spark any nerves or dislike but he automatically knew the woman was as bold as they come. He motioned his goodbyes to the rest and followed the woman, keeping his pace, even with all that armor. He remained silent along the way unless spoken to, silently praying to the Silver Flame to guide his blade in whatever endeavor he ends up aiding this group in. With a much more acute focus compared to the watch he was on, he could feel his excitement rushing in at being of help to his country, a burning patriotism and zeal to do all that is good preparing him for whatever obstacle comes along the way. He would give his life for the Brelish military and for all he has sworn to protect....there would be no question about that.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Nodding as the two of you take your leave, the Major says, "Unfortunately we have no true Sivis message station yet within the City, though we do have a Sivis representative on retainer whom we will have make the call and let Sterngate know to expect you. Host see you speedily and safely on your path. Good luck, and come back with good news." The three men go into a group meeting, speaking together in rapid voices as the doors close behind you and you reenter the hall.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Methvinharath

With purposeful steps a tall, angular man with flaming red-orange hair came striding straight for the door the drow woman and young man just left. He bows to the pair as he comes within a pace of them, before looking up again. Hazel eyes that seemed to glow with an inner light met their own; surely a trick of the light on his gleaming full plate. A heavy mace hung from his waist and a dark wooden shield of exquisite manufacture was slung over the pack on his back. "The Light brighten your Path!" the man offers with a friendly smile. "Pardon me, but is the Major still within? I must meet my new squad members, and fear I was detained by my meditations."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope the color's all right? I'll change it if need be.
    Meant to get a post in a bit ago... I'll finish the last details of the character sheet this weekend or first thing Monday morning. THANKS!
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

18. - Top - End - #138

Another one? "No need to see the major, good man, I believe we're with the squad you were sent to join. You're looking to join onto an airship crew, correct?" She bit back a similar blessing from her homeland. The blessings of the great scorpion weren't always welcome, and religious-types tended to require the greatest caution. "I am Curra Kutak, a representative of the crew of airship B-38." She greeted, extending a hand to shake.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Methvinharath

The man takes the proffered hand and shakes it firmly with his own gauntleted hand. "Airship B-38. That is the one. I am Methvinharath. Pleased to meet and serve with you," the man smiles. He offers his hand to the heavily armored man. "How many are there aboard?"
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-05-10 at 11:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

"None at the moment, but the crew consists of myself, Arinon here, Fibin, he's a gnome, Kleris, a human who walks around with a giant bat, and the helmsman." She listed to the newcomer. "I was headed back just at this moment, in fact. Come along, we'll speak as we walk. There's much to do, and not much time to do it in." She said, gesturing for the two of them to come with her and starting towards the spire of the airship dock. "By the way, what exactly do the two of you do, aside from walking about in all that armor? I like to know all I can about my companions, it makes the planning so much easier." She explained, casting a glance over her shoulder at each of them in turn.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Fibin

After arriving at the mapmakers and finding that Kleris isn't there(per DM post in OOC thread), Fibin figures he must've went back to the boat, and Fibin rushes to catch up to them, so they can all go to City Hall.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-05-12 at 07:45 AM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Methvinharath

Methvinharath smiles at the woman's question. "Mostly support and healing magics, though I am a capable melee combatant. I am also able to link several minds together for a while in order to facilitate silent communication. It has proven useful on many occasions," he grins broadly showing perfect, white teeth. "I, too, would appreciate knowing of my new squad members' abilities. It would help in preparing for each day so as to best complement one another."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Arinon

"I am a Paladin of the Silver Flame, experienced in battle against all who oppose the good in us all"

His zeal oozed out of every syllable on that one and he assumed they all knew what paladins were capable of. He had extended a hand to Meth before as well to complete the introduction as they made their way to meet the others.

24. - Top - End - #144

A cleric and a paladin? Of different deities? She only hoped they wouldn't fight with one another... "Impressive, both of you. As for what I do, I'm a skirmisher. I fight on the run, finding gaps in my opponent's defenses by dodging around and striking where they least expect it. I don't have any magic, but I make up for it with skill." She told the both of them. "I suppose I don't look the part right now, but once you see me in my armor, you'll likely believe me." She added, remembering what she was wearing at the moment.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Kleris shows up at the dock, flanked closely by Neru. "It's about time I caught up with you guys, I missed you at city-" He catches sight of Curra and stops short, he blushes for a second, but quickly picks himself up. "Well...brightness be, Curra. You certainly clean up well." He looks and sees the two new soldiers following her, and rubs a stubbly chin. "Well, I've seen more traditional recruiting methods than that dress, but it's hard to argue with results." He extends his left hand toward Arinon, and his right to Methvinharath. "Greetings men, name's Kleris Montanye, I'm with the ship as an envoy of Lyrandar, I'll look forward to serving with you, assuming that's what you're here for."
    After he shakes hands, he pulls Curra slightly aside, "I have a solid lead on the attacks, although I'm afraid it's not very good news."
    Last edited by ArmorArmadillo; 2008-05-14 at 06:42 PM.

Homebrews:

26. - Top - End - #146

She chuckled at kleris' leap of logic. "They followed me home, can I keep them?" She asked, jokingly. "This is Methvinharath and Arinon. Arinon's a Paladin, and Methvinharath's a cleric. The city decided we could use the help, not without a little convincing from me." She explained "Boys, this is the guy with the bat I was telling you about." She added.

When Kleris pulled her aside, she frowned. "A lead? you got something out of the mapmakers?" She asked, quietly.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

Fibin

Fibin shows up at some point. "Well, sorry to keep you waiting. Short legs you know.

Anyways, are we ready to go to City Hall then?"
    The Tangled Web

28. - Top - End - #148

Curra chuckled as Fibin showed up. "I took care of the bureaucrats already, Fibin. I picked up some support, too." She added, gesturing to the two new soldiers. "They promised to send a message to Sterngate asking for more troops if we can come up with a solid plan." She added.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

"Well, a plan would be great, but I don't think this is a matter of reinforcements." Kleris sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "The mapmaker gave me the name of the man who had this map commissioned. Unfortunately, It's a prominent Old Cyrean merchant named Montgomery Le Chidle."

Homebrews:

30. - Top - End - #150

"I think a plan will work just fine. The gnoll mentioned a meeting, right? Well, I think we need to crash the party. And if the big boss is there, we can just arrest him, and if not, we can probably get enough evidence to get him arrested." She explained. "I just need to work the gnoll some more for a time and place, and we'll have all we need." She added, grinning.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show