New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Benediction (NotD)

Qespherix

Qespherix holds everyone back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+8)[17]

"Stand back. Unlike your frail skin, mine doesn't burn that easily. I'll fetch it out."

"Meanwhile, stand back. Assuming the Warforged's goggles are broken, it might be undead."

He drops his weapons and shield, trusting on his claws, and then looks for the source of the scream, attempting to get it out of the pile.
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Updating 2 spell every day (Continuing when I stop being lazy.. Should be any day now...)!
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Kalad Redbomb; Jarelk Archon

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Kiruuk brushes Qesphirix's hold aside, and keeps looking.

"You aren't the only one that can take some heat, and you aren't the best suited to fighting something off."

Besides, I've never heard an undead scream.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-04-22 at 12:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Sirax, Kiruuk and Qespherix all dive into the flames and start shoveling out corpses. As you're teampature rises and your eyes tear from the smoke, you can't seem to find anything alive in this pile.

Everyone else looking around however, notice a green cloaked figure walk around the pile.

Haha! All of you beaters are the same. Cherishing life, and even risking your own to save another. Oh to the extent you people go. Oh don't worry, come out, there's no one in there.

He waits for everyone to get out of the pile before continuing.

Now, you skullheads need to get off these shores or we will be forced to make you join us. Consider this a free warning. If I see you again, i'll be forced to take drastic measures. And don't follow, it wouldn't be very wise.

The man begins to slowly but confidently back away from the group, never letting his eyes leave you for a second.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flaw's gaze silently searches the cloaked form for any details that might provide a clue about the stranger. Just what sort of deadite are we dealing with here?

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+16)[34]
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2008-04-22 at 10:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirax

''Life, above all else, should be treasured and honoured. Those that rise after death are the worst abominations the world has seen. As long as life isn't used to acheive unlife, it is worthy to be saved. Who are you to throw your voice around so easily?'' Sirax growls, as he aproaches the stranger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Sirax recognise the man as an undead thing? If so, does he know what sort? know religion - (1d20+10)[14] Even if he doesn't, he prepares to cast disrupt undead on the man, safe in the knowlege that it won't harm anything alive.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Recognition flicks across Flaw's face as moves quickly to intercept the gnome, gesturing for him to stay behind him as he steps forward. "I'll tell you who it is" Flaw shouts in answer to Sirax's inquiry "It's the errand the boy... They're called Hooded Pupils, they're lured by the power the dead offer. It was once a Satyr." Addressing the cloaked one he concludes "Isn't that right, Goatboy? Are we supposed to fear you? Should we fear a puppet? No. Not me. So how about you tell us who's pulling your strings, who sent you here and who's running things in this area? Do that, and we'll let you crawl back to your master and tell him you've delivered your message! What do you say?" Lowering his voice and speaking to his comrades behind him he adds "if he attacks, cover your heart, be prepared for magicks, and steel yourself against his power.."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge check for Dark Knowledge (Puissance): (1d20+16)[20]. Everyone gets +1 to their saving throws against this creatures attacks for the next 1 minute.
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2008-04-23 at 12:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

With his sword draw and ready, Koros listens to Flaw's words. "Could he be right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (religion) to recognize the figure as Hooded Pupil. (1d20+7)[26].
    detect evil on the cloaked figure to know his nature.

Keeping his sword with the left hand, Koros puts his right hand under his cloak, ready to reach his throwing axe or the potions in his belt.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-04-23 at 01:22 AM.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirax

''He could be. You know what they say, don't kill the messenger. But if he's already dead...''

Flaw hears a familiar voice in his head: You seem to have experience with these creatures. I propose we milk it for information then destroy it. and then to Elphin: What worries me is that it knew we were here...serendipity, or something more omnious, I wonder?

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elphin

Elphin responds in kind to Sirax's silent question,

"He mentions the shores. Probably just a patrol. waiting for anybody to come around. We should kill it, I don't want it reporting back to its master."

In the same silent manner, Elphin speaks to Flaw,

"Flaw, you appear to recognize our 'friend' here. You know he can't be allowed to report back to his master. You have the lead; when ready mention the word 'bakery' and I will kill the creature. If you have a different plan mention 'controversy'. I cannot hear your thoughts, only make mine known. I will follow you."

As he sends these thoughts, Elphin bends and puts on his cloak and picks up his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm readying a full attack using Rapid Shot on the Pupil at the word 'bakery' or if the Pupil appears to be leaving us. (I'm not sure of the legality of this, DM's discretion). Rolls are made assuming that a Hooded Pupil is undead.

Attack 1 (d20+13)[28]
    Attack 2 (d20+13)[28]
    Attack 3 (d20+8)[19]

Damage 1 (3d6+4)[17]
    Damage 2 (3d6+4)[21]
    Damage 3 (3d6+4)[14]
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Qespherix

Qespherix calmly picks up his shield and weapon, not reacting to the man. Then he speaks:

"I see two options."

"One, we let you go since you are the messenger. Downsides are we might encounter you later, or you'll warn your master, but judging by your words they already know we're here."

"Two, we kill you, and before that use you for information. Downsides are you might be too powerful."

"But seeing as we outnumber you, that won't be much of a problem I guess."

He then looks to the others to see what they do.

Spoiler
    Show
    If they decide to pursue and attack the Pupil guy, Qespherix goes with him, trying to not kill him unless the others do so. If the Pupil threatens to outrun us, Qespherix uses Wild Shape to change into a cheetah and sprint after+trip the Pupil. If needed, he'll grapple him after that if he threatens to still escape even though he was tripped.
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Updating 2 spell every day (Continuing when I stop being lazy.. Should be any day now...)!
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

You dare threaten me you sorry excuse for a salamander. I'll teach you how to talk to people more powerful than you.

Qespherix's knees buckle as he doubles over into the sand. Your heart, you thought it was nerves, but this is something else. This hooded man is going straight to your source of life to end this quickly.

Now you stay down there until you've thought about what you've done. Now for the rest of you, if you try to hurt me I will make this worse for you. All of you, drop your weapons. Now, or he dies! I am just going to leave and then I will let him keep his life. I wasn't here to kill, just to warn you. You all don't want me to be destroyed here. I'm a welcoming party, they'll send an army if I don't come back. Did you hear me gnome! Drop the crossbow!

He stands perfectly still, waiting for your response...

Spoiler
    Show
    Post what you do before looking in either of these spoilers. Then once you do, you are allowed to look in either.

If you drop your weapons:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, good, I don't like killing when i'm not permited. I'll leave you now, and Flaw, good job with Nerim, I always hated him.

The satyr then walks away carefully and disapears in the distance.

If you do not disarm:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fine, we'll have it your way, but before you could even touch me this reptile's heart will be crushed in my hand.

The satyr clenches his fist as it crackles with dark energy.

Roll for Initiative

Spoiler
    Show
    Jarelk, I rolled your save just to speed things up, but you get a save every round, but you are paralyzed right now. You can talk, but not move, so you can say something then make a save depending on what your party does. I'll let you know when to stop making saves.

You take 10 damage.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flaw allows his spear to drop from his finger tips and holds his hands, palm out, towards the messanger. Inside his head Flaw's thoughts continue to assail the situation from various angles trying to divine the best course of action. Ok, this should buy some time, providing my comrades follow suit. What to do? I've heard of Hooded Pupils using the Clutch of Orcus before but my own research into the spell has never been this successful, was there something different about it?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft Check: (1d20+14)[20]

Whoops, forgot the synergy bonus for knowledge arcana, that should be two higher. So 22.

We have a tracker, if we let him go perhaps Elphin could follow it back to it's lair, assuming it leaves sufficient sign. Either way this goes I need to be prepared. Flaw begins to silently reherse the gestures and incantations to call forth his vengence on the hooded pupil should the need arise...
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2008-04-23 at 07:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elphin

Already balanced on a hair, the instant Qespherix began to hunch in pain Elphin fired.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I keep my old rolls? If not:

Attack one (d20+11)[30]+2 if creature is undead
    Attack two (d20+11)[27]+2 if creature is undead
    Attack three (d20+6)[22]+2 if creature is undead

Damage one (1d6)[6] +(2d6+4)[12] if undead
    Damage two (1d6)[6] +(2d6+4)[11] if undead
    Damage three (1d6)[1] +(2d6+4)[15] if undead

and Initiative (d20+4)[7]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing that the die has been cast, Kiruuk draws his blade, and rushes toward the corrupted fey. His sword is raised high over his right shoulder, granting him much room to swing, but not a great deal of protection. His left upper arm covers his heart.
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+3)[8]
    If the fey is within 40 feet:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kiruuk reaches the monstrosity more quickly than most would be capable, his blade whirling in a brutal arc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving up next to the fey, assuming Punishing Stance, thus activating his sword's full power, then performing a regular attack. (I should really pick up Quick Draw ASAP, so Kiruuk can perform a charge even if his sword starts in the sheath.)
    Attack roll - (1d20+19)[24]
    Damage roll - (3d6+12)[25]

If the fey is further out:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fires of the sun glint on the edge of Kiruuk's blade. It glows hotter and hotter, until suddenly bursting into white-hot flame! With a flick of his wrists, the orc sends a searing gout toward his opponent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Performing the Fan the Flames maneuver after getting as close as possible. Also, as he moved forward, Kiruuk assumed the Punishing Stance.
    Ranged Touch - (1d20+10)[12]
    Damage Roll - (6d6)[19]
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2008-04-24 at 09:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirax

Seeing Qespherix falls, Sirax knows what's happening (roughly, at least), as his cousin fires the bolts, Sirax delves into his own mind, back into the details enbroiled in the spellbook in his pack. Unbidden, the image of an atractive halfling rises in his mind, only to be pushed out of the way. With a simple hand gesture, and a few muttered words, Sirax holds his hand out, and a pair of firey ray shoot forth towards the hooded figure.

''Korventaminen Rausku!''

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Scorching Ray at the Satyr. Ranged touch attack (x2): ranged touch - (1d20+7)[10]
    fire damage - (4d6+5)[16]
    ranged touch - (1d20+7)[11]
    fire damage - (4d6+5)[16]
    If I'm more than 40 feet away, I move within 40 feet of him and then cast, if I can't get within 40 feet with a single move (20 feet), I get within range with a double move and cast next round.
    If he has spell resistance: caster level - (1d20+8)[11]
    He does not get a saving throw if the rays hit him.

Edit: initative.
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-04-24 at 12:34 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

16. - Top - End - #46

Koros just charges to the satyr, with his sword lift and ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    If less than 60 ft distant and the path is clear, I charge the satyr and attack him.
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[23]
    Attack roll: (1d20+12)[32](+2 for charging, power attack -5/+5)
    Damage roll: (2d6+24)[32](+5 for power attack, + 9 for smite evil Edit: the bonus to the damage should be +22, so 30 damage)

If is more than 60ft, I run towards him to be the nearest possible.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-04-24 at 04:48 AM.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show
    WOW! natural 20 on intiative AND attack roll! What are the odds?

I still haven't understand if this fella is undead or not, but I'd better roll the critical.
    If threathens: (1d20+12)[19]
    Total damage: 51(smite evil should not be doubled, I think, but if does the total damage is 60)

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Qespherix

(You haven't told me what kind of save to make. Also, Qespherix is masked AND cloaked, so he shouldn't have been able to see he was a Sporaxune.)

Qespherix seems fine, but you think you here a muffled groan.

"Don't listen to him. I'm fine..."

He growls.

"But I wouldn't mind to see you caring about my life a little more."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will - (d20+11)[15]
    Reflex - (d20+4)[19]
    Fortitude - (d20+8)[13]
    Initiative(d20+2)[13]
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirax

"There's nothing I could've done to help you," says Sirax, concentrating on his spells, "So I worry about the things fightin' first! No sense being struck down like that while we tend to you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Two of Elphin's bolts drive straight through the fey's flesh and out the other side.

Ow, you little halfpint. His death will be on your hands.

The man quickly realizes he is still in danger as a Kiruuk's sword swings down at him. He seems to shift out of the way as only his cloak is touched.

Haha, you're not even a true orc, your stupid, and you can't fight!

He then leaps into the air dodging both of the flaming rays shot at him.

You'll have to do better than that smallfry!

As the satyr comes down from his jump he is met by Koros's sword to his gut, and blood begins to gush out of the wound spattering the sand around him.

Uhg, oh, so that's how you want to play! Alright... No! The spell, I forgot!

As the satyr screams the black energy leaves his hand, and his grip on Qespherix's heart is severed.

No I will not lose!

A blade made of skulls and teeth is instantly summoned into his hand. It begins shreaking as soon as it is conjured.

Spoiler
    Show
    Qespherix, sorry, it was a Fortitude save, not that is matters anymore. Also, forgot about the mask and cloak, so yea my bad, everyone disregard and reptilian style comment, also disregard what he said the post before he got shot, Lepre cut him off before he finished, but i like the looks of it and want to leave it all. Anyone who hasn't rolled initiative roll it in the OOC thread, i'll post everything there once everyone has rolled.
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-04-24 at 10:24 AM.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Sirax

''Curses...'' mutters Sirax, and decides upon a slightly different aproach:

He dives to the side to get a clear line of path, claps his hands together before holding them out in front of him and shouts ''Salama Ahmaista!'' as a bolt of lightning flies from his hands, striking the Satyr before continuing onwards.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have clear line of sight, and won't hit anyone else, I cast Lightning Bolt for (8d6+5)[36] points of damage, with a reflex save DC 22 for half damage.

If not, I cast Ice Knife with an attack (normal ranged, not ranged touch) of (1d20+13)[30] for (2d8+7)[15] and 2 points of dexterity damage. A DC 19 fortitude save negates the dexterity damage. If the attack misses, it explodes in the square it hits, in a 10 foot radius burst, dealing (1d8+5)[13] points of damage to all in the area. Oh, all damage for Ice Knife is cold damage, if he's immune to cold damage, he's also immune to the dexterity damage.

Also, could you please tell me which of these I did, either on the OOC or a PM so I can put in a bit of flavour text, please?
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-04-25 at 01:01 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

22. - Top - End - #52

Your corruption won't help you. Only the righteous will stand at the end of this fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I noticing something in particular? Only phisical attacks affects him? Is he under some sort of magical effect? Spellcraft check, although I doubt I'll know something useful. (1d20+2)[14]

Anyway, I attack him with my sword.
    1st Attack: (1d20+10)[29] (-5/+5 power attack) Damage: (2d6+22)[28] (+5 power attack, +9 smite evil)
    2nd Attack: (1d20+10)[28]Damage: (2d6+8)[12]

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show
    Another critical, and an another attack that is almost critical. I swear I've never had such rolls in my entire DnD career.

I don't still know if I'm really hitting him or not, but let's try to hurt this goat.
    Confirm critical: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: 47 (if smite evil doubles it's 56)

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

So much for cooler heads prevail. thinks Flaw as he lets fly the spell he'd been rehersing. Witness the power of an awakened self!" As he speaks a crimson bolt of energy leaps from the palm of his hand unerringly striking the creature with tremendous force.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flaw casts Deific Vengence.
    Damage: (3d6)[8] DC 16 Will save for half.
    Damage if the Satyr thing is undead: (9d6)[31] DC 16 Will save for half.
    What do the Goggles of Lifesight reveal? Is it undead?
    Also Flaw will attempt to determine the spell the creature cast and what he knows about it: Spellcraft (1d20+16)[32]

Edit: Ok here's hoping its undead since 31>8
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2008-04-24 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Corrected the spelling of "witness"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Qespherix

Qespherix quickly stands up. He is trembling slightly, whether because of anger or something else.

"Power? You think you have power?! You foolish, ignorant, pathetic piece of undead!! I'll show you power!!"

He charges towards the Puppet, casting Flame Strike before cutting him in ribbons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, if the guy threatens to outrun us, Wild Shape, cheetah, trip, grapple.

Attack roll - (d20+11)[31]
    Attack roll - (d20+11)[24]
    Attack roll - (d20+11)[22]

Crit - x2

Damage - (3d6+4)[17]
    Damage - (3d6+4)[15]
    Damage - (3d6+4)[12]

Because the Puppet is undead, my Bane Sickle deals extra dice damage and I get a bonus on attack roll.
    Last edited by Jarelk; 2008-04-24 at 01:28 PM.
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

I seem to have forgotten my Flame Strike damage roll.

Also, I have one potential critical. Nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flame Strike Damage roll - (7d6)[21]
    Reflex Halves.

Half is Divine Damage, other half is Fire.
    Last edited by Jarelk; 2008-04-24 at 01:35 PM.
    Signature made by Wojiz
    Spoiler
    Show

Deceiver PrC
    A whole new Spell List
    Arkenhammer

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

The satyr tries to parry Koros's strike but it is to no avail. The sword in his hand is shatered as Koros's continues through his heart. Just as he begins to try to pull himself off of the blade he see's Sirax run and dive sideways while chanting a magical phrase. As he finishes speaking lightning bursts from his hands and covers the fey's body. He falls off of the sword, still shaking from the energy. He groans in deep agony.

How did you defeat me so easily? Oh no, master will not be happy about this.

He then looks up one final time and glances at the party.

No, it can't be... Hmm, maybe, this might be interesting after all, to bad I won't get to see it.

With those final words his body falls limp in a pool of his own blood. Then dissipates, leaving only his cloak behind.
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-04-24 at 05:39 PM.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flaw stoops to retrieve his spear. "Strange," he mutters as he wanders over to poke at the creature's cloak a bit with the tip of his spear "He was among the living, a willing servant most likely, if he was truly dead his remains should still be here." He lifts the cloak from the ground with his spear looking for any clues beneath it as to what happened to the Satyr.

"Oh, of course!" Decries Flaw, clanking one metal hand against his equally metal forhead, making a strange clunk. "The fey, upon death, are returned to their plane of origin."
    Last edited by Morgan_Scott82; 2008-04-25 at 12:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elphin

Upon seeing the satyr vanish, Elphin disarms his crossbow and puts away the bolts, ensuring they're properly stored and won't break. He then walks over to Qespherix.

"You alright, friend?"

Slinging his crossbow over his back, Elphin continues, "I'm sorry that I had to shoot at him when you were endangered. He was a servant of some sort of undead, I wasn't willing to trust him to let you go. I didn't want them to have some sort of permanent link to our party, and I certainly didn't want him to kill you and then raise your remains. The only way to ensure all of this was to kill him."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a true Orc...

Kiruuk smiles quietly to himself.

It takes a lot of chutzpah for the dead to insult the living.

Looking up, he calls to the others,

"If he was telling the truth about the army, or even if his masters would send a patrol to check on him, we'll probably want to leave as quickly as possible."