New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The end is 'Neer

Merco had awoken in the early hours of the morning. It was his ritual to be up before the sun.
    He prayed for his typical list of spells, had a light breakfast and donned his armour. He smiled as Xerek summoned the extra horses.
    "I agree. We must put an end to this problem quickly.
    However, if we encounter any orcs, do not engage them until I have given you the go ahead."
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

With the ghostly mounts, travel is much, much swifter. A few hours from the last village, the road takes a turn northward and begins to enter rougher, hilly terrain. By midday, you have left the fields behind. At midday, you also pass by another campsite. A hill with the remainder of a trench around its base and evidence of many small campfires. Pressing onward, you continue through the foothills until they subside, and give way to fertile soil once more.

As evening once more approaches, you spot a small column of figures marching along the road ahead of you.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

"Hm.. Well, we have two option...Sleep, and cath them in the morning...Or see if that's our guy. What do you think?"
    Merco's voice had traces of obvious fatigue.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xerek

"Fortune favours the bold. And the longer we wait, the closer Khaneer gets to his goals. I think we should at least scout their camp to learn more about them - I'd be happy to scout it alone myself - I could telepor tback here at the first sign of trouble."

"But you're in charge here Mecro - it's your call."
    Last edited by Akiata; 2008-05-24 at 02:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

"I do not wish to place you in any danger. But if you feel it is best that you scout, then by all means do so. Especially if it will help us."
    Merco paused, staring at the figures ahead.
    "I just don't feel right. Like there's something...Else."

6. - Top - End - #36

MindFlayer

Lightbulb Re: The end is 'Neer

Xerek

Happy to scout the column on his own, Xerek replies.

"Time spent in reconnaissance is rarely wasted. I'll stay out of sight, and teleport away immediately, should I be discovered."

He takes some time to study the surrounding area, and then spurs his phantasmal steed on toward the column.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xerek will take a wide berth and try to use natural cover to mask his approach, and overtake the column on his phantom steed. Once ahead of them, he'll look for a suitable place to wait in cover, close to the road. When he finds such a place (or even if he doesn't find one in a reasonable sort of timeframe) he'll send his phantom steed back to where Mecro and the others are camping. Then when the column of troops approach his position, he'll cast invisibility and wait for them to march past, learning what he can of there armaments and disposition.
    Once that's done he'll cast teleport, and report back to Mecro what he learned.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Xerek
    Spoiler
    Show

Riding around the flank of the column, you can see a large number of infantry, some cavalry, and a dozen or so wagons in the center of the train. You also see as you pass by, at the head of the column, a massive beast. The creature is as long as five horses, and wide as two.

As you begin to pass the column, you notice a fan of outriders ranging ahead of the main force, and are forced to give them a berth as well, luckily, the outriders keep to the column's speed, and you are able to overtake them as well.

Once ahead of the column, you do not find anything in the way of suitable cover, but the invisibility spell and keeping still keep you undiscovered as they pass.

The massive beast is reptilian, scaled. It crawls on four powerful legs with strong, clawed feet. It's belly almost scrapes the ground. Its head is at the end of a long neck, and sports two bulbous eyes, no ears, and a wide, toothy maw. It has no horns, hair, crest, or anything else. It's tail sweeps back and forth behind it.

You are almost discovered when the beast's round, crocodilian nostrils flare at your scent, and it turns its head to you, but its attention is pulled away by its rider.

A saddle is harnessed upon the beast, A simple leather mat that curls up in the front, and forms a seat back in the rear. A bridle is affixed around its head, and reigns sweep up to the saddle behind its forelimbs. Riding it is a large orc, sitting in the saddle, legs folded back into the stirrups, almost kneeling. He wears well-crafted plate armor, with all the pieces. Chainmail covers the joints, and fur can be seen lining the pieces. He does not wear a helm, but lets long, black hair fall over his shoulders in many braids. A shield hangs from the saddle, and he holds a heavy scimitar in his right hand, his left holding the reigns.

The rest of the company is made up of orcs in various states of equip and adornment with colored cloth and trophies. You count a hundred or so infantry, a third of that in cavalry*, and a dozen wagons. The cavalry ride strange reptiles, bipedal with small arms and wicked claws, one especially large claw on each foot taps against the ground rhythmically from time to time. The wagons are pulled by the most frightened-looking horses you have ever seen. Each wagon is driven by an orc of no significant appearance, but four of the wagons carry a robed figure in addition to the driver. As for the wagon's primary cargo, they are covered, and you cannot tell.

The column marches past with the thunder of many feet.

*only half the spotted cavalry march with the column, the other half range ahead of them as outriders.

8. - Top - End - #38

MindFlayer

Xerek

Appearing back where he left Mecro and the others, Xerek reports all that he observed. (Teleport results: On Target.)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Saw a large number of infantry, some cavalry, and a dozen or so wagons in the center of the train. Also saw a massive beast at the head of the column. The creature is as long as five horses, and wide as two."

"There were outriders ranging ahead of the main force, and I believe I was able to remain undetected."

"The massive beast is reptilian, scaled. It crawls on four powerful legs with strong, clawed feet. It's belly almost scrapes the ground. Its head is at the end of a long neck, and sports two bulbous eyes, no ears, and a wide, toothy maw. It has no horns, hair, crest, or anything else. It's tail sweeps back and forth behind it."

"I think I was almost discovered when the beast's round, crocodilian nostrils flared at my scent, and it turned its head to me, but its attention was pulled away by its rider."

"A saddle is harnessed upon the beast, A simple leather mat that curls up in the front, and forms a seat back in the rear. A bridle is affixed around its head, and reigns sweep up to the saddle behind its forelimbs. Riding it is a large orc, sitting in the saddle, legs folded back into the stirrups, almost kneeling. He wears well-crafted plate armor, with all the pieces. Chainmail covers the joints, and fur can be seen lining the pieces. He does not wear a helm, but lets long, black hair fall over his shoulders in many braids. A shield hangs from the saddle, and he holds a heavy scimitar in his right hand, his left holding the reigns."

"The rest of the company is made up of orcs in various states of equip and adornment with colored cloth and trophies. You count a hundred or so infantry, a third of that in cavalry, and a dozen wagons. The cavalry ride strange reptiles, bipedal with small arms and wicked claws, one especially large claw on each foot taps against the ground rhythmically from time to time. The wagons are pulled by the most frightened-looking horses you have ever seen. Each wagon is driven by an orc of no significant appearance, but four of the wagons carry a robed figure in addition to the driver. As for the wagon's primary cargo, they are covered, and I could not tell."

"Only half the spotted cavalry march with the column, the other half range ahead of them as outriders."

"Well, it looks like we've caught up with the wurmsteed, and Khaneer. How do we want to handle this?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Merco thinks over the information.
    "I have expended none of my resources this day. If you are confident, and able to telepot us to the head of the collumn, or if we could head them off, we can confront them outright with a cease and desist.
    Otherwise we can trail them until they rest. I need very little sleep. We can be ready and sneak past them in the morning and block the road."

There was of course, a third option. But Merco was unwilling to take it if avoidable.

10. - Top - End - #40

MindFlayer

Xerek

"Well, as any wizard woould say, I could always use a little more time for preparation..."

He dwells on this thought for a moment and then goes on, a little more enthusiastically.

"With a little more time I could facilitate a slighty more..." he pauses to search for the right word, "covert option."

"We could attack in eight hours from now, whilst their force lays in camp. I doubt I could conceal our presence for long, but perhaps we wouldn't have to fight all of them."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Merco cringed. He knew such a plan would come up.
    "We are not assassins...Atleast, I'm not. It would be far more effective to make his death, if it is required, known. I beleive an assassination will not send the proper message.
    We may be able to avoid fighting them all. If they're are anything like the orcs from my home plane, they will appreciate displays of strength. Take down the leader, and you become the leader."
    Last edited by The Necroswanso; 2008-05-27 at 05:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

MindFlayer

Xerek

Xerek's gaze rests on Mecro for a long moment, as he takes a measure of this man's character.

"Very well. The direct approach it is." There's a note of approval in Xerek's voice, despite his reluctance.

"In that case, I think it would be prudent to attack tomorrow, just after their column has begun moving off."

"I cannot teleport us to the head of their column without seeing it first. So I suggest an airborne approach, perhaps invisible. Once we have a visual, we can prepare ourselves for battle in the air, and then I can transport us to the head of the column. I have power enough for the two of us."

"Once we're in place, I'll focus initially on keeping the rest of the army occupied, and then assist you with with Khaneer and the 'wurmsteed'."
    Xerek's thoughts linger on the massive beast he saw earlier, and he tilts his head to one side, trying to think if he's ever heard of such a thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks to see if Xerek has heard of such a creature as the "wurmsteed" before.
    Knowledge (arcarna): +23
    Lore: +12 (works the same as Bardic Knowledge)

Plan: Enhanced Phantom Steeds + Invisibility Sphere to get us close enough to dimension door to the head of the column. Then I'll try to worry about crowd control. Should things go wrong, I can teleport us out again. Would need to re-memorise however.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

"Agreed then. We should trail them until they make camp."

Spoiler
    Show

If my plan works, we won't need crowd control...Then again, when has a well formulated plan ever worked in D&D?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

In the morning, the steeds are readied and you begin your quick flight above the orcish camp. The orcs have set up only the most rudimentary of sites, with more effort being put into defense and sentry rotations than anything else. A pair of orcish soldiers stands guard around the camp perimeter every fifty or so feet. One holding a lantern against the passing night darkness, the other with weapons out. Orcs are not much for sleeping in, it seems, and breakfast is already finished as you make your descent to the road before them.

The orcs begin to pack up, and you can tell it wouldn't take long for them to be on the road again, they're certainly making the best time they can while lugging carts along with them.

Invisible, you touch down before the orcish camp.

((Sentries are about 100 feet beyond the (rapidly disappearing) outer rim of tents.))

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

As soon as his quarry is within sight, Merco will make his move.
    "When we see him, be ready. But don't attack."
    Merco whispered.

16. - Top - End - #46

MindFlayer

Xerek

Xerek spends longer than usual porinng over his spell selections for the day, and seems to be weaving incantations from before dawn, all the way up until they arrive at the orc camp.

When they touch down at the orc camp, he responds to Mecro in hushed tones.
    "I'll follow your lead. Step away from me to become visible."

Spoiler
    Show
    All day buff casting routine - cast before we set off.
    - Mage Armor (Greater): +8 AC - (+2 from Paragnostic Apostle ability "mind over matter"), extended via metamagic rod - duration 26 hours.
    - 2x Phantom Steed: flying at 240' (cast at CL 15th (with Spell Enhancer (SpC)), not extended today - duration 15 hours.
    - Anticipate Teleportation (SpC): anticipate and delay any teleports within 65' - extended via Abjurant Champion ability - duration 48 hours.

Buff routine - cast once we're in sight of the orc camp.

- Invisibility Sphere - extended via metamagic rod - duration 26 minutes.
    - Shield - extended via Abjurant Champion ability - duration 26 minutes.

Casting routine - Once we touch down by the orc camp.

- Summon Monster VII - Bone Devil - extended via metamagic rod - duration 26 rounds. As soon as the summon is completed Xerek instructs the devil to make itself invisible, and not to attack.
    - Haste - duration 13 rounds. +1 to hit, AC and Ref saves. +30 ft. movement. One extra attack during a full attack action.

Xerek's Buffed Combat Stats:

Hit Points: 132
    AC: 35 [+8 Mage Armor, +9 Shield, +6 Dex, +1 Deflect, +1 Dodge]
    Touch: 18, Flat: 29
    Init: +10
    BAB: +19
    Speed: 30 ft. +30 ft. from haste.
    Fort: +10, Ref: +17, Will: +10

Bone Devil Combat Stats

Large Outsider

Hit Points: 95
    AC: 26 [-1 Size, +5 Dex, +11 Natural, +1 Dodge]
    Touch: 14, Flat: 21
    Init: +9
    BAB: +14
    Speed: 40 ft. +30 ft. from haste.
    Fort: +12, Ref: +13, Will: +11
    At will SLA’s: Dimensional anchor, fly, invisibility (self), major image, wall of ice.
    Last edited by Akiata; 2008-06-10 at 09:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The wurmsteed itself is easy to spot, taking up the center of the camp all for itself. A pile of grain and meat, spoils from one of the previous villages no doubt, is quickly disappearing before its ravenous maw. About half a minute passes before you see Khaneer.

He is fully armored again, and comes up to his steed to place one gauntleted hand on its snout, speaking something to it in orcish, you cannot make out the distinct sound this far away as he almost murmurs to the beast. After a few words, he begins gently stroking its snout, evoking a rapid clicking noise from it.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Merco shifted nervously, and cast Tongues on himself.
    "I beleive now is as good a time as any."
    He stepped forward, flinging his cape over his shoulders, flashing his large armor and shield. He shouts in Orcish.
    "Khaneer! In the name of the Watchmen I hereby command you to cease and desist all activities on this plane or any other and to come quietly. I would like to avoid any, unpleasentries."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The orcish sentries snap into aggressive stances at Merco's sudden appearance. Those in the camp stop what they are doing at the shouting and turn to stare at Merco. Khaneer turns around as well to regard him. There is a moment of silence.

All the orcs begin reaching for their weapons, looking to their leader for guidance. He readies his shield and draws his scimitar, a sneering grin spreading across his features. He stops twenty or so feet in front of you, his warriors beginning to fill in ranks behind him.

"[orcish]And... who's watchman are you? "

Khaneer whips his blade around in his hand, still grinning predatorily.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Never struck me that we're most likely a nameless faction here. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

[in orcish of course]"We are from The Watchtower. We have been sent here as you are not a native, nor are you this true harbigner of the age of the orc for this realm. You are a charlatan and a threat to the exhistence of all beings both on this plane and others. Come quietly and I will do what I can to see that you go unharmed."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The orc army shivers and ripples in response to Merco's short speech. Hands on hilts and handles become drawn weapons, and at least half the warriors lean forward, as if to beat the human for his gall. Khaneer holds up a hand to stay the horde.

"[orcish]I have the Wurmsteed! I have conquered every tribe I challenged since I was able to lift steel. My horde grows, has never waned. I have the Wurmsteed.

I AM the harbinger!

This... attempt to push me off with words only shows that you haven't the force, the strength, to face me. You are a sign, hah! You are here because the humans cannot face me, this act of desperation. Do I need any other omen than this?
    "

The last sentence is directed mostly towards his horde, and he is awarded with a roaring "hourgh!" from his troops. Khaneer returns his attention to Merco with a smile.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

[in orcish] "Then you should have no problem facing me."
    Merco gestured and prayed a moment. After he was finished he pointed at Khaneer.
    "This is your last chance to surrender."
    65 feet above Khaneer a boulder of Ice and Rock appeared and immediately began speeding toward him.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Cometfall.
    Damage: (12d6)[52] Reflex for half DC: 22.
    If he fails to make the save the comet makes a trip against him at +11. +7 for effective Strength and +4 due to size (Large): (1d20+11)[22]

23. - Top - End - #53

MindFlayer

Xerek

Seeing the action heating up, Xerek commands the Bone devil, "ready to use your ice wall ability to stop the orc army from interfering with Mecro and Khaneer."

Xerek then casts another spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Greater Blink (Spell Compendium) on self.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+10)[17]

A few of the orcs in the horde catch sight of the comet as it falls, and their gaping growls of excitement alert their leader, with a quick look upward, he sees the danger, and launches himself back with a powerful push. It is a second too late, however, and the comet slams into the ground at his feet, knocking the orc backwards and on his back. He lets out a pained roar, and his troops turn to the two of you with anger and bloodlust in their eyes.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-04 at 04:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

From back within the camp, you hear a pained half-howl, half-screech.

Merco - (1d20-1)[15]
    Xerek - (1d20+10)[26]
    Khaneer - (1d20+5)[7]
    horde - (1d20+1)[14]
    Wurmsteed - (1d20+2)[5]

((Xerek, Merco, Horde, Khaneer, Wurmsteed is our initiative order today.))
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-04 at 04:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

((Um, be we screwed? ))

27. - Top - End - #57

MindFlayer

OOC: I don't know I reckon we give it a shake and see.

Xerek

"Devil: put your walls between Khanner and the orcs now."

Spurring his mount 50' into the air, Xerek looks for the largest concentration of orcs that threaten Mecro and conjures a large fog to envelope them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Devil casts Wall of Ice. Ice plane 60' long, 20' high, 12 inches thick, between Khaneer and the bulk of his army, if possible. Save DC 15 - but hopefully it can be placed in such a way as to avoid having any creatures directly adjacent. Duration: 12 minutes.

Xerek casts Freezing Fog (Spell Compendium, p99) on the largest concentration of orcs closest to Mecro and Khaneer, taking the wall of ice into account. 20' radius area of effect. Those inside take 1d6 cold damage each round, and have to save (DC 25) or slip over prone. If you make your save you must succeed a DC 10 balance check in order to move, and movement inside is limited to 5' per round. Duration: 13 minutes.

Damage this round - (1d6)[3](3)

Invisibility Sphere no longer affects Xerek, but he's still blinking.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Merco readies a spell, and watches the rock where Khaneers once was.

Spoiler
    Show

Holding casting defific vengence on Khaneer if he does anything combat oriented that isn't surrendering.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaneer rights himself in little time and with what seems to be no effort whatsoever, then, scimitar held high and letting out a warcry, charges Merco.

attack - (1d20+28)[37] :: crit - (1d20+28)[30] ((crit not scored))
    damage - (2d4+46)[53] :: crit - (2d4+46)[49]

Behind him, his horde is caught in a sudden cataclysm of ice. Blocked from surging to their leader's defense by a wall of ice, and shuddering in the cold behind it. Behind them, the sounds of the wurmsteed barreling through the ranks can be heard.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-06 at 10:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

MindFlayer

Xerek

As another wall springs into being below him, Xerek focuses his attention on Khaneer. He hurls a binding spell at him, and urges his mount afterwards, around to a hand-to-hand flanking position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bone Devil casts wall of ice again to further prevent the army of orcs getting through to Khaneer.

Casting Bands of Steel (Spell Compendium, p24) on Khaneer. Reflex save (DC 22) or be immobilized and unable to move. If the save is successful then Khaneer is only partially trapped and is entangled.
    An immobilized creature can make a full round action to either burst free (Strength DC 18), or wriggle free (Escape Artist DC 18).
    An entangled creature can use a fullround action to break free (Strength DC 13) or disentangle itself (Escape
    Artist DC 13).

Then use a move action to flank Khaneer.
    Last edited by Akiata; 2008-06-07 at 07:06 AM.