New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Underground Railgun

Astrum

At Astrum's command, Pouncer ceases laying in to the hobgoblin, but maintains the grapple, particularly it's massive jaws clamped onto the shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grapple Check: (1d20+21)[39]

Astrum takes a 5' step towards the entwined enemies and orders "surrender, if you yet hope to live!"
    Last edited by Shular; 2008-05-29 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter
    Zebith, Drow Ranger/Darkstrider

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xessalis

Xessalis moves over and adds telepathically (to the hobgoblin as well as the others), "Yes, surrendering would be a good idea. I'm a little... peckish, but I couldn't possibly do anything about it if you surrender. It's up to you, really."

As he says this, his tentacles wave slightly, revealing the slimy, lamprey-like mouth beneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check there, I think... (1d20+28)[34]
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

3. - Top - End - #123

Feldas
    Feldas smiles. I don't care what you do, just do it quickly before anyone else comes. Can you sense any of the evil brainsuckers Xess?
    Then, with a twist of his ring, Feldas winks out of sight, his grin waiting to disappear last.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Xessalis
    Spoiler
    Show

The illithid seems to have departed.

The hobgoblin stops squirming, and takes advantage of the respite to take stock of his situation. He notes the lion atop him, his three dead squad mates, and the menacing illithid. He blanches.

"Surrender... you... have my parole." he finally squeezes the words out. They clearly do not come easily.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-05-30 at 07:32 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

5. - Top - End - #125

NinjaGuy

Aukan

Inhaling as if to spit, or gout flames, the goliath reaches down to tear fabric from what little remains of the hobgoblin's clothing. Wiping the blood from his blade Aukan looks quizzically at his companions. "Did he just ask us to surrender." Tossing the gruesome rag back on the vermin Aukan gives a quick nod, "Gag him, but give him back his blade. He isn't worth the honor, but I'll send him off right. You can have the next one, X."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrum

"Now now, Aukan, he's yielded. If he answers our questions truthfully, he lives. If he lies, he's all yours."

Astrum turns to the hobgoblin. "You understand me, I think. I'm sure you're also aware of the mind powers of our tentacled friend here, so I recommend you answer his questions as honestly and completely as you can."

Astrum quickly removes any weapons the hobgoblin has on him and, with the dropped falchion, drops them in a corner. He then gestures to the pile and says, "Pouncer...guard." At this the big cat growls once at the hobgoblin, then drops lightly off the table, moves to the pile and sits in front of it.

While Xessalis questions the hobgoblin, Astrum calmly searches the dead, placing any weapons in the pile guarded by Pouncer, and keeping an eye open for anything noteworthy (and, of course, collection any non-copper money). He does this quietly, though, and keeps his ears (well, mind, since the questions would be telepathic) on the questioning.

Spoiler
    Show
    If diplomacy were in order, then Astrum would at least be able to lend a hand. But intimidation is not really his style (despite wearing black and carrying a scythe, heh), so he'll leave it to Xessalis and the others.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

7. - Top - End - #127

Xessalis

Tentacles flexing in a pleased gesture, Xessalis says, "Glad we can all agree. Now then, could you tell us the layout and purpose of this... facility?"

Xessalis tries to concentrate on reading the thoughts of the hobgoblin- hopefully, his questions will bring the requisite information forward.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin looks worriedly between Astrum, Aukan, and Xessalis, finally turning his full attention to the mind flayer.

"I can not say."

Xessalis
    Spoiler
    Show

At the mention of the layout of the facility you catch a brief mental image as the thought is brought forward in the hobgoblin's mind. It appears as a blueprint or outline of the facility. You can recognize where you are right now, a barracks guarding the back door. from the hall you first entered, the doors you left behind lead to what look like storage rooms. The other exit from this room leads to a privy. The hallway from which the hobgoblins came describes a large circle, with a much larger barracks and a front gate on the far side, and a third barracks, along with mess hall and sickbay to the left. The right side leads into a prison block. All these rooms are outside the circular central hall. you can tell there are doors leading inside the circle, but beyond them is blank.

9. - Top - End - #129

Feldas

I'm going to go out and watch our backs. Don't worry, if anything comes up, I'll come back in here where you can all give me the protection you think I need. And don't forget to fill me in on what he says.

Feldas, silently and invisibly slips out the door his is guarding and into the hall, where he does his best to hide in the shadows of the rocky tunnel and listen for anyone coming up on them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Covering our back while Xess works on the Hob. Not even sure if there's anything to hide by, but that's what the invisibility is for.
    Listen - (d20+10)[17]
    Spot - (d20+7)[16]
    Hide take ten = 70 (+40 for unmoving invisibility +20 skill)

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

NinjaGuy

Aukan

Shrugging, Aukan makes his way to the passageway opposite that Feldas was last seen at. "Be quick. Once they've been alerted this will become more difficult. Innocents may die." As he says this the group feel their hands become less weighty, but have increased confidence in their social prowess.

Spoiler
    Show

Presence: +3 Intimidate, Bluff, and Diplomacy

up, reeplacing 'power.' Senses still active.

At S11 or N11 depending on where Feldas is.
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-05-31 at 05:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Xessalis

He replies, "We'll get back to that one. Do you have any way to contact your allies? We would be... disappointed if you informed them of our presence, you see."

Thinking a moment, he adds, "What prisoners do you have here and why?"

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin's eyes dart about the room, noting Aukan's departure with some relief, and noting Feldas' departure with interest.

"No, and you have my parole."

He becomes pensive for a minute.

"We have one prisoner, a gnome."

Xessalis
    Spoiler
    Show

You get a brief flash of the guards being scrambled for action while sitting at the dice game that was on the table, and then a brief, hustling sweep of the area.

13. - Top - End - #133

Xessalis

Pacing, Xessalis asks, "Why were you not in your barracks when we arrived here? It appears that you left in a bit of a hurry to me..."

Spoiler
    Show
    This is taking ages- should I just think of every question I want to ask and put them here?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin responds almost immediately.

"We were sweeping... for the gnome."
    Spoiler
    Show

Probably a good idea.

Feldas
    Spoiler
    Show

((you're in the hallway the hob's came from, right?))
    Once again, you hear booted footsteps coming down the hall, this time they're only coming from the right, and they are walking your way.

15. - Top - End - #135

Feldas

Once again hearing someone coming down the hall, Feldas slips back into the room from the hallway, once again taking his place by the door to prepare for ambush.

Someone's coming again, so you may want to finish up before we're overrun again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved back to N13 by the door. Once again ready to strike the first Illithid or Wizard that comes through the door. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

NinjaGuy

Aukan

Too late to move any of the bodies, Aukan quickly reassures himself the other doors have remained closed. "Incapacitate him, Xess, quick. 'Nother batch comin'." Returning to his place next to the door and where he assumed Feldas would be, and crouches, shield swinging 'round to hover in place between himself and the footsteps. Has just about enough of this sneaking around. May make it easier, but not an adequate test of one's mettle...

Spoiler
    Show

Right, so Power and Senses back up, so +3 to our Init among other things.

At O 13

Also, how do you keep track of Dodge AC bonuses? Got a +2 Shield/dodge thing Aukan will use against whoever is closest/looks most dangerous.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin glares at Aukan.

"You have my parole, soldier... aren't you a warrior?"

18. - Top - End - #138

Xessalis

Xessalis shakes his head."I think this one's safe. He has surrendered, and I believe these warriors have a code of honour."

Turning back to the hobgoblin, he adds in a mental speech that resonates with power, somehow harmonising pleasantly within the mind of the prisoner, "You won't try to escape."

Satisfied, he returns to his previous position, ready to incapacitate any attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Woo, using more Illithid powers! Suggestion, DC23, on the bit in italics.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrum

Listening quietly to the questioning, Astrum is about to speak when Feldas announces the new arrivals. He takes up position where he had been before, but leaves Pouncer guarding the weapons and equipment pile he had created. He'd call upon the lion if he was needed. Mentally preparing himself for the next encounter, one thought keeps intruding..."what bloody gnome??".

Spoiler
    Show
    Shield spell has expired (I assume, only one minute duration). I had a question or comment, but now can't remember what it was, darnit.
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

The remaining hobgoblin picks himself up and crawls onto one of the bottom bunks, where he lies on his back and folds his hands, staring up at the slats of the bed above him.

Xessalis
    Spoiler
    Show

Illithid alert.

The four of you wait as a moment hangs in the air, steeling yourselves for whatever may happen next.

21. - Top - End - #141

Xessalis

A quick mental message flicks to the others, although Xessalis remains intent on the door.

"Illithid."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

The lever is turned from the other side, and the heavy door swings open. Aukan can see the group as they begin to walk through the door. Those in the lead are another pair of hobgoblins. One wears heavy platemail, and carries a scimitar at his side and a shield slung over his shoulders. The hob next to him is a bit shorter and sports only a chain shirt, with a pair of kukri's sheathed at his belt. The heavily armored hob wears an open-faced helm, but the other wears only a square of cloth over his head as a bandanna. It is this second hob who spots Aukan first, and puts his hand to the second's arm. Both pause before they can get through the doorway, and the armored hob bellows.

"[goblin]Intruders!"

You cannot see who is behind them just yet.

Astrum - (1d20+7)[11]
    Pouncer - (1d20+6)[14]
    Aukan - (1d20+4)[16]
    Feldas - (1d20+5)[23]
    Xessalis - (1d20+7)[27]

Shirxis'xi - (1d20+5)[16]
    Hrath - (1d20+5)[20]
    Tisoc - (1d20+11)[30]
    Metkho - (1d20+5)[21]
    Relk - (1d20+1)[12]

((Initiative is: Tisoc, Xessalis, Feldas, Metkho, Hrath, Aukan, Shirxis’xi, Pouncer, Astrum, Relk))
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-04 at 05:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

The lightly armored hob suddenly snarls and leaps in front of his comrade, his hands moving in a flash to draw his kukri's, and as his blades suddenly ignite, he begins to lay into the only foe he can see with the twin blades and a flurry of steel.

attack one - (1d20+15)[32] :: crit - (1d20+15)[35]
    damage - (1d4+7)[9] :: crit - (1d4+7)[11]
    Attack two in OOC :: crit - (1d20+15)[21]
    damage - (1d4+4)[5] :: crit - (1d4+4)[7]
    attack three - (1d20+10)[14] :: crit - (1d20+10)[16]
    damage - (1d4+7)[11] :: crit - (1d4+7)[9]
    attack four - (1d20+10)[14] :: crit - (1d20+10)[17]
    damage - (1d4+4)[6] :: crit - (1d4+4)[7]

((and a whopping 20 damage to Aukan))

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-04 at 05:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Xessalis

Moving quickly, Xessalis darts back to reach a full view of the door and once more releases a blast of psionic energy at the foe, tentacles waving and eyes staring hard. The blast narrowly misses Feldas, catching the two visible hobgoblins fully with the mind-blowing power of a determined Illithid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move one square down and right to catch both hobs, but none of our allies. Once again, DC26 Will saves or stun for (3d4)[8] rounds.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrath - (1d20+25)[26]
    Tisoc - (1d20+25)[37]
    Relk - (1d20+21)[34]
    IHF - (1d20+21)[26]
    Metkho - (1d20+21)[35]

Stepping out around the door, Xessalis is able to see all of the enemy band. Behind the first two hobgoblins are two more, it is another group of four. One of the hobgoblins in back is also in heavy plate, and has a falchion slung over his shoulder. His face is hidden beneath a close-faced helm. The fourth and last hob is wearing black studded leather armor, and probably has a dagger on him somewhere, but doesn't have any obvious weapons. He is notable, though, for that and for having what look like ritual scars drawn all over his clean shaven face. Standing several feet behind the hobgoblins, is an illithid in robes, looking in with mild curiosity and interest. As one illithid blasts the area with his psionic powers, the other looks up, and it is clear that his interest has been quite piqued.

26. - Top - End - #146

With a grim smile, Feldas lays into the Hob that has conveniently stepped in front of him, before taking a step backwards to get out of any other enemy's way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry, stunning fist on the first, 5' step back to N14.
    Attack1 - (d20+9)[13] Fort DC 21
    Damage1 - (2d8+3)[13]
    Precision1 - (7d6)[22]
    Attack2 - (d20+9)[29]
    Damage2 - (2d8+3)[16]
    Precision2 - (7d6)[22]
    Attack3 - (d20+9)[12]
    Damage3 - (2d8+3)[8]
    Precision3 - (7d6)[21]
    Attack4 - (d20+4)[17]
    Damage4 - (2d8+3)[7]
    Precision4 - (7d6)[19]

Crit1 - (2d8)[9]
    Crit2 - (2d8)[11]
    Crit3 - (2d8)[8]
    Crit4 - (2d8)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

The hobgoblin in the fore and heavy armor staggers and wobbles from Xessalis' blast.

One of the hobgoblins in the rear, the one less armored than the rest with the scars, moves quickly to get a better view of Aukan, then utters a few words of power and jabs one clawed finger in the goliath's direction. A stream of acid shoots from his finger to strike at Aukan.

touch attack - (1d20+13)[21]
    acid damage - (6d6)[23]
    precision acid damage - (4d6)[11]

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

"S" is the illithid. Reload the page if you don't see the updated version.

Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-07 at 01:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

NinjaGuy

Aukan

Rising to his full height, Aukan brings his massive blade up and around before crashing it down on the Hobgoblin in front of him. Stepping forward the goliath laughs disconcertingly. "Is that all? Come test your might against a true warrior, wrought of stone whose veins course with fire!" Word becoming substance, flame once more shoots down the narrow hallway.

Spoiler
    Show

If he down him hell step into N12, if not he'll go to N13 and spew. Note his breath weapon is a spread, so it can turn corners, though its only 15 ft long, so it should get M12-K11

So, I guess you can't preview rolls? Dice found OoC.

Attack -7 power attack
    [roll0]

Damage
    [roll1]

Fire DC 23
    [roll2]

Will DC 19
    Spoiler
    Show

Test of Mettle (Ex): Starting at 4th level, you can shout a challenge to all enemies, calling out for the mightiest among them to face you in combat. Any target of this ability must have a language of some sort and an Intelligence score of 5 or higher. Creatures that do not meet these requirements are immune to the test of mettle. You must have line of sight and line of effect to the targets of this ability.

As a swift action, you can expend one use of your knight's challenge ability to cause all your enemies within 100 feet with a CR greater than or equal to your character level minus 2 to make Will saves (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Cha modifier). Creatures that fail this save are forced to attack you with their ranged or melee attacks in preference over other available targets. If a foe attacks by casting a spell or using a supernatural ability, he must target you with the attack or include you in the effect's area.

An opponent compelled to act in this manner is not thrown into a mindless rage and does not have to move to attack you in melee if doing so would provoke attacks of opportunity against him. In such a case, he can use ranged attacks against you or attack any opponents he threatens as normal. If anyone other than you attacks the target, the effect of the test of mettle ends for that specific target.

If you are reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by an opponent forced to attack you due to this ability, you gain one additional use of your knight's challenge ability for that day. This additional use comes from increased confidence and the knowledge that you have proved your mettle as a knight against your enemies by calling out foes even against overwhelming odds. This additional use disappears if you have not used it by the start of the next day. You can only gain one additional use of your knight's challenge ability in this manner per day.

The effect of a test of mettle lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5 + your Charisma bonus (if any). Whether a creature fails or succeeds on its save against your test of mettle, it can only be targeted by this effect once per day.

Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-06-07 at 06:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    tisoc - (1d20+21)[39]
    hrath - (1d20+21)[31]
    relk - (1d20+17)[24]
    Metkho - (1d20+17)[26]
    Shirxis'ci - (1d20+19)[23]
    hrath - (1d20+8)[11]
    relk - (1d20+10)[21]
    metkho - (1d20+15)[18]

Aukan's blow from the greatsword is not enought to down the raging hobgoblin, and so he sidesteps his foe and breathes fire down the doorway, engulfing the hobgoblins there.

The enemy illithid's eyes narrow as it sees Xessalis appear and blast his minions. Quickly, its eyes flit over the hobgoblins, locking onto the one who stands stunned. Its tentacles lash about in irritation and it raises two fingers to point at the hobgoblin, then tenses for a very brief moment.

The stunned hobgoblin blinks thrice, quite rapidly, and seems to become aware again of his surroundings.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-06-09 at 01:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Astrum

Unable to see what is in the hallway, Astrum signals Pouncer to stay and takes a step to stand beside Xessalis. Quickly assessing the situation, Astrums speaks an incantation, and a line of electricity runs between the four hobgoblins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Astrum moves to O10, then casts arc of lightning, from T to M and all points in between. Reflex DC 20, eletrical damage, save for half.
    (12d6)[51]
    Throk, Half-Orc Fighter