New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Barrow of the Forgotten King (IC)

Gran's face shows an amused smile as he takes back the five coins. "You can count on that, lass. Thanks for bringing some light to Kingsholm in this time of darkness. Be sure to come to my store if you happen to need anything I can provide. Good luck, and be careful". With that, and a bow towards the others, he leaves the room, still amused at how some human girl he just met for the first time had somehow managed to make him give ten gold coins to charity, and still feel good about it!

Just as he exits, Mia comes back, panting after a short run from the sentinel's quarters. "Sorry for the delay. I had to ask one of my men to draw this map in a hurry. I'm afraid it will look a bit... rushed, but it should be detailed enough for your needs.". She spreads the map over the table, so everyone can see it, and once Martina is back from the stables, she starts explaining the meaning of the crude drawings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously, drawing maps in Paint is painful, and the results tend to suck as much as this does. I need to find myself a decent freeware mapping program, any suggestions?

Yeah, now you can stop laughing. Thanks.

"The mausoleum entrance was built on the slope of a hill. It's quite easy to find, the gravel path starting at the graveyard's entrance leads straight to it, and it's the largest building in the whole complex. Those two gray circles are two statues, and the crosses are supposed to be tombstones that the "artist" put there to give some flavour to the drawing, even when I told him that we were in a hurry. I need to have a long talk with him about priorities...".

"That white box inside the building is a stone table, which sometimes is used to deposit the bodies in some ceremonies. The back door opens into the hill, and a small set of downward stairs lead deeper into the earth. The main room after the stairs is used to prepare the bodies for their burial. That's where the Yurlings were going, so you may find some clues about their whereabouts there."

"The south door leads into the side tomb. There's a nice statue there, built into a niche inside the wall, and two fountains. The door in front of the statue leads to the tomb of a married couple of wizards. I've never entered it, even though there's a key to the door in our keychain. The previous Captain warned us before retiring that the wizards had left some sort of mechanism guarding their final resting place. I wouldn't go there if I were you."

"Finally, there's the stair at the end of this hall. They lead into a locked door. There's no key for it, and we've never managed to open it, so no one really knows what's behind. The legend says it leads to the forgotten king's tomb, but that's probably nonsense. It's decorated with some interesting drawings and runes, though. If they hold a clue on how to open it, we haven't found it.".

"Oh, and those boxes along the walls are vault graves. In fact there are three lines of them along each wall, one above the other. Most of them are occupied, so the council has been thinking about comissioning an expansion.".

"Now, if no one has any further questions, I'll lead you to the graveyard. It's a short walk, we should be there in less than an hour."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd rather have her lead you directly to the graveyard so we can start with the action, but I'm short of time tonight, and I thought I at least could give you the map and the description so you can ponder about it and ask whatever crosses your mind. Tomorrow things will finally get interesting .
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-24 at 03:15 PM. Reason: guess what, typos

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hren makes his way to the entrance and holds the door open for the others. He gives a well-practiced and humble bow to the council.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Once everyone's ready and done examining the map, Mia and Ian lead you outside. Ian stays at the inn, not before wishing you all good luck in your quest. You all follow Mia across town, and are met with the surprised stares of several of Kingsholm's citizens. At first they show surprise to see such a group marching through town, but when they recognize Mia at the lead, and they notice the path you're taking (straight towards the graveyard), they understand.

As the Captain announced, the walk is short, and the weather is fine: neither too hot or too cold, a fine autumn afternoon. When you finally reach the graveyard, you estimate that dusk is still three or four hours away. Ivy winds its way up the iron bars of the cemetery gate. No rust discolors the black metal, and flowers blossom near the wall. Beyond the wall, you see a gravel walkway that weaves its way up through groomed grass and white tombstones. A few statues rise along the hillside, their gray features gleaming in the sun. "That's no good", says Mia. "The gate is open". Indeed, you don't even have to push it to be able to get in. Once everyone is inside, Mia hands you the keys to the mausoleum, wishes you good luck once again, and leaves, heading back to town.

The gravel path leads uphill for a few hundred meters. The graveyard appears old but lovingly cared for. Fresh gravel covers the path and flowers, not weeds, grow beside the tombstones. Soon you can see the mausoleum right ahead, and a few yards ahead you all notice something weird on the path. It seems like the gravel has been stirred up, as if someone begun to run there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks:
    Gadriel: (1d20+2)[5]
    Hren: (1d20+5)[18]
    Brog: (1d20+4)[17]
    Segan: (1d20+2)[22]
    Mercutio: (1d20-1)[12]
    Martina: (1d20+3)[21]

Suddenly, Segan stops right in his tracks, signals the others to do the same, and points forward. You're just a few meters away from the building. As Mia's map foretold, two ancient, life-sized statues of a warrior and a priest flank the entrance. But you can clearly see that a few things are not as they were supposed to be. First, the doors of the mausoleum are open. Mia mentioned that they were kept locked at all times, so someone clearly must have been here recently. Even more disturbing is the fact that what looks like two dead humanoid bodies lie sprawled on the mausoleum's steps. A dark liquid flows from underneath them, covers the stairs, and stains the gravel at the bottom.

What's more troubling, though, is what's moving behind the statues. Two pairs of feral eyes gleam out at you from behind the graven images. Wolves! Another darker wolf-shape roams farther away, among the nearby gravestones.

Spoiler
    Show

As a wise man once said... Roll initiative .

Monster's initiative: (1d20+2)[14]

Here's the map. The red X's at the bottom are your starting positions. First to post chooses first where he or she wants to start. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, though.

Red circles with a black W inside are the two wolves. The "darker wolf-shape" (free cookie to whoever guesses first what it is) is the W with inverted colors (red on black). Green circles are the two bodies. Grey circles are the two statues.

Now, some terrain features. The tombstones aren't there just to show my awesome artistic capabilities (cough), they play a role, too. They count as difficult terrain (moving through them counts as two squares), and provide cover. The statues also provide cover and also count as difficult terrain, and you can't end your movement on them unless you climb them (DC 15). The top of the stairs is 5ft above the ground, so fighting from there against someone below grants a high ground bonus (+1 attack and damage).

That should be all. Good hunting .
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-25 at 12:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20)[12]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar

Spoiler
    Show
    Ill start at the 2nd X from the left.
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[23]
    What I'd like to do is move up the steps and jump/attack on the wolf to the left with my rapier.
    Oh, I'm guessing Worg , btw.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[7] Far left X

Action: Load crossbow and cast guidance (+1 competence) for my next crossbow shot.

Guessing werewolf

Swinging up his crossbow Segan quickly loads it and mumbles a quick prayer to Yair, then swings it to his shoulder and takes aim.
    Spoiler
    Show

Telari - Elven Woodsman - Accepted to Stupnick's Cormyr Forgotten Realms

Segan - Human Sorcerer Priest - Accepted to NeonBlack's Barrow of the Forgotten King

Gorlang - Goblin Cleric - Accepted to Dragonprime's Goblins!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Gadriel

Gadriel lets out a low hiss as he notices the wolves. His fingers seem to burst into white flame as he snaps his hand up and draws a jagged symbol in the air with the fire, calmly walking towards the pillar on the right and the wolf behind it.

Then, without a slightest hint of hesitation, he walks straight up the pillar's side. Judging from his clothes, it seems as if gravity simply decided to tilt sideways just for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hee hee, to think I was worried I wouldn't get any mileage out of the Spiderwalk invocation. Starting from the second square on the right, standard action for activating Spiderwalk and a move action to walk up the pillar.

Initiative - (1d20+3)[12]

Ædit: That is, if some furry fanged monster hasn't eaten his face by the time his Initiative count comes up. If not, I guess he'll take a step back and burninate the wolf with unholy fire or something.
    Last edited by Attilargh; 2008-04-25 at 01:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 23
    HP: 17/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

With a speed seemingly born of the north wind, Mercutio draws his rapier as he rushes forward atop the stairs near the body on the left and makes a leaping attack at the wolf to the left of the mausoleum.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty much assuming I go first.
    Jump - (1d20+9)[23]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[15]; please add appropriate modifiers. Do I get the +1 hit/damage? Anything else?
    Crit - (1d20+7)[21]; see Attack note.
    Damage - (1d6+2)[4]; see Attack note.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-25 at 02:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Martina

Crunchy bits:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(d20+1)[9]

Free action:
    Spot if body on steps is actively (red, dripping, etc.) bleeding: (d20+3)[10]

Martina growled back at the wolves, her eyes narrowing at the thought of whatever fell beasts were roaming a graveyard under the blaze of Pelor's light. She spared a moment to look closely at the body on the stairs, to see if there was any hope of life remaining. Nonetheless, the threat must be faced before aid offered.

Sword held ready, the paladin cried, with great fervor if little imagination, "For the glory of Pelor!" and leaped to follow Mercutio. She would help him drop the first wolf and then move on to the other, darker shape beyond.

More crunchy bits:
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 16
    AC: 18; FF: 17; Touch: 11
    Attack with Masterwork cold iron sword: (d20+6)[22]
    Crit check: (d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (d8)[3]
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-04-25 at 11:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the initiative order is:

Mercutio - 23
    Wolves - 14
    Hren/Gadriel - 12
    Brog - 10
    Martina - 9
    Segan - 7

Initial positions, from left to right, are Segan, Mercutio, Martina, Brog, Hren, Gadriel. Gadriel and Hren didn't specify, so I've put you on the two free spots, and Gadriel can still reach the right statue from there. I've moved Martina to the other side of Mercutio, since it's the closest free space to she wanted to be.

Oh, and thanks for the brief stat blocks, they'll come in handy.

Mercutio is the first to react to the wolves' presence. Before the beasts can even growl, he's already dashing up the stairs, only to do a quick turn left, acrobatically jump down from the ledge, and land just beside one of them, severely wounding it with his rapier.

The enemies react quickly, though. The dark wolf-like shape keeps its distance, and emits a growling sound in which Mercutio and Gadriel seem to recognize intelligible words, spoken in a foul, hateful language.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's Goblin, and the worg (Gimli gets a free cookie next time he comes to Spain ) is saying "More meat for our feast! Bite their throats and bath in their blood, my servants!". A nice fella, anyone up to taming it?

The one wolf wounded by the swashbuckler yelps in pain, then turns around and tries to bite its attacker (( Attack: (1d20+3)[21], Crit (1d20+3)[20], Damage: (1d6+1)[5], Crit dam: (1d6+1)[4] )). It's teeth find a mark, and tear an ugly looking wound on Mercutio's left arm. (( Mercutio takes 5 damage, he's now at 12/17 hp ))

The second wolf turns his attention to the rest of the group, and runs straight past the statue, charging towards the monk, who tries to defend himself from its jaws. (( Not a charge since the statue hinders Wolfie McWolf's movement. A: (1d20+3)[6], C: (1d20+3)[9], D: (1d6+1)[5], CD: (1d6+1)[7] )). The attack clearly misses its target, and Hren prepares for a counterattack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now it's Hren's turn. GimliFett, you can also post Mercutio's actions for next round, since you'll be the first to act then. And Attilargh, you can rethink Gadriel's actions if you want. Since you have a wolf right beside you, unless you say something else, I'll go with the "5-feet-step towards the right and blast its face with arcane fire" option.

Mercutio's wolf takes 5 damage, and it's wounded but still strong. I've given him the +1/+1 bonus for high ground, since it kind of was an attack from above.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-26 at 09:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Gadriel

"You're messing up my plans," Gadriel growls - also in Goblin - t the wolf next to him as he disperses the unfinished symbol with a wave of his hand. Instead of moving towards the pillar, he slowly backs away from the beast, points two burning fingers and sends a streak of white fire at it.

{{Five-foot step to the upper right, towards the gravestone, followed by an Eldritch Blast at the nearest wolf.

Ranged touch attack - (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage - (1d6)[2]}}

12. - Top - End - #42

Hren

Spoiler
    Show
    HP 18/18, AC 13/13/13, f5 r4 w7

The monk dances and weaves, so that the sharp fangs never touch cloth nor flesh. At the peak of the dodge the quarterstaff comes to bear and strikes out in a fast procession.

We must check on those fallen," he starts before the wolf closes on him, "Ack...hrmmm, hrmmmm, hrmmmm, hmmm." He trails into a mantra chant of battle.

{ Attack 1 (1d20)[13] for (1d6+1)[2] blunt critcon(1d20)[18] ,
    and Attack 2 (1d20)[14] for (1d6+1)[5] blunt critcon(1d20)[2] }

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

The monk strikes back with unnatural speed, weaving complex patterns with each end of his quarterstaff in the air. He strikes twice, and although the first doesn't seem to be precise or strong enough to damage the beast, the second hits it flatly in the head, knocking it backwards.

Gadriel takes his chance, and after taking a step back from the animal, lets his magical energy loose through his fingers. The energy blast hits the wolf on the side. The poor beast can only howl in pain.

"Trunir", seeing as his companions on the right side have their foe more or less under control, turns his attention to the other half of the battlefield. Moving away from the nearby wolf, he takes a pinch of white sand from his pouch, and drops it slowly to the floor, chanting arcane words, and focusing his sight and mind on a space between the worg and the wolf attacked by Mercutio.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, 5-foot-step northwest, and cast Sleep centered on the tombstone in front of the worg, so the blast catches it and the wolf, while avoiding Mercutio. Both have 2 HD (yeah, it's a young worg, an adult one would have 4), so both are affected.

Worg's WST: (1d20+1)[21]
    Wolf's WST: (1d20+1)[5]

The worg shrugs off the supernatural drowsiness, but the wolf falls asleep on the spot. The leader of the pack turns his dark red eyes to the "dwarf", and growls menacingly.

Meanwhile, Martina was pacing across the gravel path towards Mercutio and his enemy. She tried to take a good look at the bodies as she went near them, but she was still too far away to ascertain any details. The blood on the stairs seems to be starting to dry up, though. She was surprised to see the animal fall to the ground just before she arrived. Nevertheless, she strikes with her sword, seriously wounding the sleeping wolf. The animal woke up from the flaring pain, but was still laying on his side.

Segan took his time to react, even though he was the first to see the animals. Calmly, he loads his crossbow, and asks Yair for guidance. A faint, golden glow surrounds him after a second, showing that his prayers had been heard.

Spoiler
    Show

So, to summarize:

- Worg unharmed and angry.
    - Wolf #1 prone after falling asleep, and critically wounded (5 damage from Mercutio, plus 6 from Martina. By the way, TwoCents, remember to add your Strength bonus to your damage rolls)
    - Wolf #2 severely wounded, took 5 damage from Hren's staff, and 3 from Gadriel's blast. Oh, Attilargh, three words for you: Point. Blank. Shot. .

Only Mercutio's been wounded, taking 5 damage from the wolf's bite. And I completely forgot about the free trip attempt after a succesful bite. Sigh.

Round 2 starts now, starting with Mercutio again. Post your actions whenever you're ready. I'll post an updated map in a few minutes. EDIT: Here it is.

Umpteenth EDIT: And I just noticed that Brog's Sleep spell takes 1 round, and thus shouldn't have taken effect until his next action. Well, not much would change anyway, since the wolf was waken up by Martina's attack, so I'm leaving it as it is.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-27 at 03:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Martina

"Huh?," mumbled Martina, as the wolf fell to the ground in front of her. Seeing the other wolf shake off the effects of the spell, she knew it would be foolish to move past the prone beast to attack the other, so she struck the beast as planned.

When the wolf snarled and awoke, she snarled back and prepared to back up Mercutio's actions. She would slay the prone wolf if needed, or else move on to the other creature and attack.

Crunchy bits:
    Spoiler
    Show

IF Merc kills W1, move to and attack Worg, ELSE attack W1.
    After attack on W1, IF W1 still lives, move to flank W1, ELSE move to Worg

For all attacks, attempt to flank target with Mercutio

Attack: (d20+6)[21] (Add +4 if vs. prone wolf)
    Crit check: (d20+6)[16] (ditto)
    Damage: (d8+3)[11]

HP: 16
    AC: 18; FF: 17; Touch: 11
    Fort: +6 Ref: +3 Will: +4

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 12/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

The swashbuckler tumbles around the wolf, directly opposite Martina and thrusts his rapier in a hopefully finishing blow, winking at the woman as he does so. "Gnarsh kledkung!" he growls over his shoulder in goblin at the worg.

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation for those who speak goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're next!

Tumble - (1d20+9)[22]; can't wait til I get some armor that has no penalty...
    Attack - (1d20+9)[15]
    [roll2=Crit]1d20+9[/roll] Oops. No matter! It wasn't a crit anyway!
    Damage - (1d6+2)[7]
    CritDamage - (1d6+2)[4]
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-28 at 03:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Mercutio moves nimbly around the fallen wolf, avoiding its desperate and futile bites, and just as it was about to stand up, delivers the killing blow with his rapier. The wolf falls to the ground, and stops moving.

The worg seems confused: things aren't going as they were planned. These two-legs are much stronger than he anticipated. Doubt seems to overcome it as the first wolf dies, but as soon as he hears Mercutio's taunt, his eyes shine with rage and hatred. Snarling back at the swashbuckler, it leaps forward and tries to rip his throat open with its teeth. It gets close enough, but Mercutio manages a last second half-dodge that avoids the worst of the attack. Still, the worg manages to close its mouth around his shoulder, and pulls him to the ground.

Meanwhile, the second wolf tries to recover from the pain inflicted by Hren and Gadriel. Still locked in a hand-to-hand (or hand-to-mouth) fight with the monk, it attacks again.

Spoiler
    Show
    One wolf down, two to go!

Worg (too close to charge):
    - attack: (1d20+4)[24]
    - crit: (1d20+4)[11]
    - dam: (1d6+3)[4]
    - crit dam: (1d6+3)[5]

Wolf:
    - attack: (1d20+3)[10]
    - crit: (1d20+3)[12]
    - dam: (1d6+1)[6]
    - crit dam: (1d6+1)[4]

If any of them hit, I'll roll the trip attempts on the OOC channel. Too many probably useless rolls already here .

Hren's next!

Extra late EDIT: A bit late, but Mercutio's now officially prone . Remember, standing up is a move action and provokes AOOs.
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-29 at 01:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing another wound open up on Mercutio and his fall at the feet of the worg Segan's decision is made and he moves forward swiftly to bring assistance to the swashbuckler.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Saihyol; 2008-04-29 at 09:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Segan - Human Sorcerer Priest - Accepted to NeonBlack's Barrow of the Forgotten King

18. - Top - End - #48

Hren

Spoiler
    Show

HP 18/18, AC 13/13/13, f5 r4 w7

"You will not keep me from our path," Hren whispers to the wolf across the bar of the braced staff, its jaws locked and deflected by the enchanted wood. "You will follow the path to the nether. You will find peace in darkness."

With each of the repetitive, chanting, whispers, another blow sweeps out at the wolf.

{ Attack 1 (1d20)[14] for (1d6+1)[5] blunt critcon(1d20)[16] ,
    and Attack 2 (1d20)[9] for (1d6+1)[2] blunt critcon(1d20)[13] }

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Gadriel

Gadriel fires another bolt of the white fire at the wolf, before casually turning and walking to the bottom of the stairs. "Brought down by this pup already? Tch, some people," he remarks in Goblin as he sees the pinch Mercutio's in.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the wolf's not dead yet, Eldritch Blast it before moving to the square just southeast of where Martina is marked on the map.

If Hren killed it already, move as above and then Blast the worg.

Attack - (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[3]

Initiative: 12
    HP: 16/16; AC 15, t 13, ff 12

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frowning at this sticky situation, "Trunir" prepares to get a more favorable position.

On "Trunir's" next turn he will run as close to the worg as possible (4 squares to the left & 4 up I suppose)
    --------------
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phyllyp, in "Heroes for Hire"
    Quilliam Coal, in The Howling Coyotes Mercenary Company

Old Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Philander Pipepuffer (My first character)
    Leeto Dragongem
    Brog Grimapple, for Barrow of the forgotten King
    Orlandi Kingslayer
    Dwyn, We Dont Go To Gobi Anymore
    Cyryndryl,To Quench A Flame

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 8/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

Merc grins at the creature as he rises. "Ne tekusht! Mog triglikuct lo neetch dokra!" he says once more in goblin, hoping to enrage the beast into a poorly calculated move. He tumbles around the creature as he did the wolf previously, trying to better Martina's options. Hearing Gadriel's words, the man grins all the broader and replies. "Kreel medno legk tobruk karmeetch!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation for those who speak goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A solid blow! Shortly your lifeblood will wet the earth!
    and: I wanted him to feel like he was doing well!

Tumble - (1d20+9)[27]
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-29 at 01:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Hren's whirlwind movements with his quarterstaff prove too much for the only standing wolf. With a swift strike, the monk hits the animal again, also in its head. With a faint howl, the wolf drops to the ground, unconscious.

Seeing his immediate foe has fallen, Gadriel focuses on the remaining enemy. He moves closer to the worg, before firing another blast of pure arcane energy. This time, though, the elf's aim is not as good as before, and he misses.

"Trunir" decides to get closer to the battle, too. His Sleep spell seemed to do little but enrage the worg, so maybe it's time for a change in tactics. Or maybe just a stronger spell. Anyway, he also nears the beast. The circle is closing...

Martina is able to see Mercutio's fall from a privileged position. Enraged, she attacks the worg with her sword, slashing at its side and cutting deep into its flesh. The worg howls in pain.

Segan is the last to arrive in the proximity of the fight, still with a golden glimmer surrounding him as an aura. He approaches the fallen swashbuckler, trying to lend a hand.

Mercutio tries to stand up, and that gives the wounded and furious worg a chance to attack again

Spoiler
    Show
    Crossing fingers....

Att: (1d20+4)[18]
    Crit: (1d20+4)[11]
    Dam: (1d6+3)[8]
    Crit D: (1d6+3)[6]

EDIT: Phew, thank the gods for that high AC, Gimli...

The beast's jaws close just a few inches away from Merc's throat. Throwing taunts around as if nothing had happened, but feeling his heart pounding faster than ever, the swashbuckler takes his chance to circle around the worg.

Seeing its servants fallen on the ground, and still feeling the pain of the sword wound on his side, the worg decides that it's had enough. It withdraws, trying to reach the top of the hill in which the mausoleum is built, but on doing so it opens himself for Mercutio's retaliation. ((Rolls in the OOC thread)). The swashbuckler hits it, but the strike lacks strenght, and the worg barely survives a second wound. Limping, but still quite fast on its four strong legs, the beast runs to the top of the hill, and soon disappears behind it. A few seconds later, all of you can hear its howls, full of frustration, pain and thirst for revenge.

Spoiler
    Show
    The worg took a double move, and with a speed of 50ft, you don't really have much of a chance to catch it. If you want to try, though, feel free.

Encounters over, and everyone's alive. Darn .
    Last edited by NeonBlack; 2008-04-29 at 02:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 8/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

Mercutio salutes the fleeing worg, flicking the blood from his rapier at the same time. "That one is going to be angry for some time." He turns to the others and nods thanks as he heads for the stairs and the fallen.

Spoiler
    Show
    [Maxwell Smart accent]Missed by...that much![/Maxwell Smart accent]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Firing off a shot at the departing worg that clatters off a tombstone the golden glow fades. Sighing at his poor marksmanship Segan turns to Mercutio.

"Hold up my friend those wounds look painful allow me to help."

Chanting in a tongue unknown to the others Segan's face grows peaceful as the golden nimbus surrounds his hands as he reaches out to Mercutio.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[6] (converting divine favour).
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

As the animal drops, Hren is already hoping over it and running to the two on the stairs. He checks quickly for a pulse. He then searches them both to identify and assist them if he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    heal check to identify alive/dead and help if possible etc (1d20+3)[6]. Search check of them to identify who they are, what might have killed them etc (1d20)[1] and if necessesary here is a spot check to boot (1d20+5)[17]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Trunir" ran up to the bodies after Hren, and seeing his unefficiant searching, he said "Step aside a little wifflesnaps, let me have a go..." With his keener eyes he hoped to find something important, he just wants to get this done fast...

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check(doubt it will help):(1d20-1)[2], Search Check:(1d20+8)[21], Spot Check:(1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Gaijin Guy Jim; 2008-04-30 at 07:14 AM.
    --------------
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Phyllyp, in "Heroes for Hire"
    Quilliam Coal, in The Howling Coyotes Mercenary Company

Old Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Philander Pipepuffer (My first character)
    Leeto Dragongem
    Brog Grimapple, for Barrow of the forgotten King
    Orlandi Kingslayer
    Dwyn, We Dont Go To Gobi Anymore
    Cyryndryl,To Quench A Flame

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 14/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

The swashbuckler nods thanks and grins at the priest. "You have my gratitude -- Segan was it? Thank you." He turns to the others as he sheathes his rapier and rotates his arm in circular motions to stretch it out after the healing magic does its job. "Everyone else in good shape?" he inquires as he looks at his companions. His gaze stops on the still forms atop the stairs. "And those two? I think the beasts got them. It's a shame."
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-30 at 08:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

You all gather at the top of the stairs and examine the bodies. Even though they are in a quite bad shape, it doesn't take you long to figure out their identities, thanks to the descriptions given by Mia: these are the bodies of the two missing sentinels, Dornal and Zeera. Judging by their current state, they've been dead for at least a full day.

The bodies have been partially eaten, but some remains of their armor (in which you can still make out a section of Kingsholm's coat of arms) and a broken spear lying near the woman's body give you all the confirmation you need. You also find a sling and 10 bullets in each body, still somehow stuck in their girdles. Dornal's axe is nowhere to be seen, though. At first sight, you can't be sure of the cause of their death. There's the wolves' bites, of course, but you can't tell how many of those came before their death, and how many after. Some closer examination of the sentinels' remains may provide some answers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hint: Those Heal checks sucked. Really.

...yeah, I'm always this subtle. Why?

Behind the bodies, the double stone doors of the mausoleum are wide open, and all of you can see the interior of the building. Three rows of three vaults line each of the east and west walls, each vault door neatly engraved with a name. While peeking inside, Hren quickly notices something weird: a faint trail of dry blood, leading to the place where the bodies stand. It looks as if they were dragged from the inside. The trail seems to lead from the closed door at the back of the room, which, according to your map, leads deeper into the funerary complex.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Gadriel

"Shame indeed," Gadriel mutters as his eyes pass over the late sentinels. He steps past them, carefully avoiding getting blood on his coat and takes a look inside. "They were killed inside. I hope none of you have anything against long-dead creatures. Lady Martina, would you like to take the lead?" As he looks at the woman his hand draws the symbol he tried earlier. When he's finished, the symbol seems to come alive and scurries up his hand and into his sleeve.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finally invoke Spiderwalk. Gots to learn to do these in advance, as having to spend a standard action to activate an effect with a 24-hour duration feels silly.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercutio del Bayar
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 14/17; AC 20, t 14, ff 16

Shaking his head sadly, Mercutio gently lifts the woman and carries her just inside and lays her down. "Best to set them inside and keep other animals from investigating. We'll look a bit deeper and see if there's any sign of the family or the other beasts or attackers. Yes?"