New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 1

Gideon

The halfling looks at Etain. His smile is faint but genuine.

Miz Gideon sends her regards. It is good to see you, Etain.

He turns with a broader grin to Gornak.

And you too, Gornak! I was wondering how long it would take my cologne to reach those big beautiful nostrils of yours.

He glances around the table. His voice is low and earnest.

Gentlemen and madam. I do not feel safe here. There is the lurker who uses darkness and ventriloquism to conceal himself, and there was a tiny figure that was lurking invisibly nearby, and who just vanished. I would be pleased to continue this conversation with you, but not under these circumstances. It is only out of deference to my two old companions that I am still at this table.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-22 at 09:25 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

The voice of a tiny yet beautiful female voice can be heard speaking softly from, of all places, the minotaur's left nostril. Gideon recognizes the voice as belonging to Garnup's familiar, Gwen.

"Oh, it's you Gideon. We didn't recognize you, as usual. No need to worry about the tiny figure, that was just my master. We are here to catch what news we can of the world, the movements of our friends and our undead foes."

"Who are your friends here?"

"Thank you for the use of your nostril, ah, Gornak, was it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Gwen is using ventriloquism; she isn't ACTUALLY up Gornak's nose.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

Raj continued to wear that same enigmatic smile. It was, after all, one of the central tenets of the Lady... Mystery is an end in itself. And besides, he wasn't about to let the little prankster see him flustered. He chuckled as the voice emanated from the minotaur's nostril - odd, but he had seen enough magic in his days to know that it was probably just some little trick - any hedge wizard could probably conjure it, and so it was not a good gauge of skill to go by.

He took a long swallow from his tankard. The ale was only mediocre in quality, but after a month on the road it was a pleasant change from the tepid and often bitter water that ran through this land. It was said amongst his people that the it was the blood and the tears of the fallen that had turned the waters sour.

I suppose I have not yet given the formal introduction.. I am Rajahtar, Tiger-blooded warrior and humble servants of my Lady Dajara. This land is my home, and I still walk it and defend it, though in these latter days it has become tainted by the malice of wicked forces.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Etain

Etain nods thoughtfully at the supposed halfling's introduction, and there is the sense that she has relaxed a little. "And you, too, Gideon." Her voice is a little more natural-sounding than before. She inclines her head faintly to the two beast-men, accepting their names as a show of trust, and speaks. "I am Etain."

She glances about at the sound of the little female voice. "It would be more courteous to show yourself if you wish to speak to us," she says, her voice back to a measured cadence that tells Gideon, at least, that she feels the need to guard herself against the person she's speaking to. Etain always kept her voice steady when speaking to enemies, and only relaxed her control when she was talking to somebody she wasn't particularly suspicious of. A flick of her eyes towards where Paran is lurking drives in the point that her words could be meant for him, as well.

Paran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "And had subtlety been one of yours, you would have stayed silent on that matter, and stayed in mortal sight. You attracted more attention by vanishing than you would have by merely sitting."

"Clan? In these lands? I am a wanderer now. As are you, I would guess, or you would not be in this city."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

The tiny female voice again emanates from Gornak's left nostril. "Indeed, it would, and I apologize. We came here looking for news and instead found a friend and his notable compatriots gathered at the bar. As such esteemed individuals, each of you undoubtedly has developed powerful ways to defend yourselves in these perilous times. Our specialty is in stealth, and we hope that you will understand if we do not drop our best defenses as a matter of introduction, just as we would not ask you to drop yours.
    "

Gwen then extends a formal greeting to each person, greeting each in their respective native tongue.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Paran

A shuffling of feet can be heard - the difference with his previous display of stealth makes it clear that Paran wants to be heard. The steps approach the table, and Paran sits in the chair he was in moments ago. Still invisible.

He frowns when he hears the new voice. I've heard it somewhere - who is that ?
    "Like our little voice is saying, this is but an elementary defense. I would not ask you to lower your wards" he looks at Gideon (the position of his voice makes it somewhat clear who he addresses), then at Gornak and Raj "no more than I would ask them to strip their armor off and hand me their weapons.

I offer my name, receive a spell in exchange and I am the one disrupting the peace ? These are sad times indeed. But let us leave this behind us. Greetings Gideon, Gornak, Raj. I for one hope your stories will be as interesting as you seem to be.
    "

Considering his companions, Paran has a thin smile. That Gideon seems protected, but I wouldn't be surprised if she got the two big ones with her spell. And they don't even know it ! Oh well, let her play her games. She's probably one of those who prey on others for distraction.

Etain:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, indifference : "Fine, I am toddler playing with forces beyond his ken. I never made a claim to subtlety in any case - attracting attention does not worry me.

Your guess is wrong, but I see no need to educate you on this matter. If cousins we are, it would be from very distant branches.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything would be much simpler if Paran had failed his save or if he had recognized the effect...
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-27 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Gornak, not Gordak
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

The halfling lad shakes his head.

Garnup! It's good to hear from you, sort of. And you too, Gwen.

He turns to the others at the table.

Garnup is somewhat, ah, guarded about his privacy. We've worked together twice, and it's quite possible that I've never seen the real version of him.

His lip twitches. You should talk, you old faker.

Like dancing with shadows, this. And anyone who labels me a sacrificial lamb, sir...

He looks at the empty chair.

Does not incline me to let down my guard. For all I know, you are an agent of the dead.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-23 at 10:37 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Gornak

Gornak lets out a snort as Gwen's voice continues to emit from his nostril. While he had picked up many gnomish customs in his time at the forge, their sense of humor was not one of them. He measures his words carefully before speaking.

"It appears everyone is rather on edge, with good reason. I care not if some of you wish to remain hidden. More food for the rest of us. And while it is possible any one of you could be an agent of the dead, I am not one to let my fears rule my actions. If I did, then I would have left for a foreign coast long ago. So welcome all, at least for the time being."

With that, there's a slight pause as Gornak takes a swig from his water flask.

"So tell me Rajahtar what your recent journeys have revealed to you. Last I saw, you were leading an elven caravan to the coast in search of a haven? And you Gideon, I believe we parted ways so that you may pursue your research in the sacked city of Alvithor? Was there anything left of the library you seeked? And has anyone heard whether Tanzen will finally bring their swords here or do they still hide behind their rocky shore?"

Spoiler
    Show

Gornak's plans involve eating a good meal and swapping stories for a few hours. He'll be careful not to reveal anything too secret or specific locations of refugees but will share any news or gossip he has heard. Especially the position of any undead or rageforged forces that he has seen or heard of.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-04-23 at 01:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I need to know what everyone will do for the next few hours, you can all continue the conversation, but when that's all done make sure to tell me what you do for the rest of the afternoon.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Gwen decides to end her humor with the minotaur's nose and her voice now emanates from the floor.

"My master's mentor enlisted Paran's help a few years ago, while working on a collar to increase his connection with the Plane of Shadow. I do not believe... that he or anyone here is an agent of the dead. Those who associate with walking corpses tend to smell funny."

Spoiler
    Show

The great thing about starting with an impossible illusion is that everyone assumes that the next impossible thing you do is also an illusion. Gwen actually is in the floor. :-)

Garnup and Gwen are actually here to gather news, so they spend at least some time listening to the conversation of other people here. There's two of them, so it's not too difficult for one of them to be focused on the group and the other focuses on other conversations. Gwen stays within 5' of Garnup though, and he stays under the bar, so they're a little limited.

Krimm: Several questions for you.

Do they pick up any interesting news? Gwen has Detect Magic and Detect Evil at will. Is there anything or anyone else interesting in this place?

Also, what's the floor made out of in this building? Dirt (no floor)? Stone? Wood? Some of Garnup's feats only work when he's standing on earth or stonework, so I'm going to be asking this a lot.
    Last edited by Agthorr; 2008-04-23 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added header

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

Raj sighed a little, shaking his head quietly at Gornak's questions. The caravan arrived safely, of course, with me guarding it. There were a few attacks from the dead ones, but nothing I could not handle.. they are not all that fearsome, the ragged remnants that roam these lands... it is fresh invaders I have cause to worry. The library... was little but ashes. I found a few clues in the ruins, but little else, I fear.

He took another deep drink, turning to stare into the hearthfire for a moment before bringing his emerald eyes back to the rest of the company, sparing a gaze to the strange emanation from the floor.

As for now... I am between journeys at the moment. I had planned to rest here for a day or so, stock up on supplies and gather what information I could. It has been a few months since I had any interesting news... lately it seems I have just been passing time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like Gornak, Raj is planning to hang around the tavern for the rest of the afternoon, have a decent meal or three and gather some information. After that he'll probably stay the night, check around town for anything interesting, and head out again the next day or so after making sure he's stocked up. That's his PLAN, anyways.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Settling back in his chair, the halfling relaxes...a little.

Paran, if Garnup vouches for you, I will accept this, for now. But I am no one's lamb, sir.

Alvithor was nearly picked clean. Someone - perhaps a team of someone's - with significant knowledge and talent had found whatever caches there were. Or, at least, all that I could find.

He glances with a warmer smile at the floor, and then at the empty chair.

It is occasionally useful to be reminded of the limitations of one's abilities, yes?

I was in Tanzen last year. There are strong forces there that advocate a focus on defense of their own borders. It will not be easy to draw them across. At least, not in sufficient numbers to make a difference.

And you, Paran? What brings you to this grand, grand place?

Spoiler
    Show
    After scouting the town a bit over the next few hours, perhaps inspecting the defenses and seeing how her services might inobtrusively strengthen the walls against assault, Gideon would have planned to Teleport Without Error back to a roadside glade that she stopped at an hour or so out of town, and there put up a rope trick to rest in for the night.

Now that there are companions involved, she might be persuaded to spend a night somewhere in town, and would probably let down her guard enough to invite Etain and Gornak join her in the hidey-hole, if she thinks that either would have wanted it - each would have had a previous pattern with her, and I'll let each decide whether that would be of interest. If she's staying in town, she'd probably find a deserted alley, a block or two from the city centre, and set it up about 30' up.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    After scouting the town a bit over the next few hours, perhaps inspecting the defenses and seeing how her services might inobtrusively strengthen the walls against assault,
    Got a quick way to bury or destroy all the corpses that no one has bothered to clean up? It seems odd to me that a town filled with people who defend against the undead would not get rid of the corpses. It's practically begging for a necromancer (not to mention the smell!).

Just gathering them together and making a big bonfire would do the job (as long as it's hot enough to cremate the bones).

Gwen will bring this up if the conversation heads in the direction of the town's defenses.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Agthorr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Got a quick way to bury or destroy all the corpses that no one has bothered to clean up? It seems odd to me that a town filled with people who defend against the undead would not get rid of the corpses. It's practically begging for a necromancer (not to mention the smell!).

Just gathering them together and making a big bonfire would do the job (as long as it's hot enough to cremate the bones).

Gwen will bring this up if the conversation heads in the direction of the town's defenses.
    Fire isn't exactly Gideon's specialty. Massive amounts of energy damage, in small quantities? Sounds more like a job for our resident warlock, if she's interested.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Fire isn't exactly Gideon's specialty. Massive amounts of energy damage, in small quantities? Sounds more like a job for our resident warlock, if she's interested.
    In the worst case, we can do it the old fashioned way: pile the corpses, cover them with booze, and torch them. :-)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agthorr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Krimm: Several questions for you.

Do they pick up any interesting news? Gwen has Detect Magic and Detect Evil at will. Is there anything or anyone else interesting in this place?

Also, what's the floor made out of in this building? Dirt (no floor)? Stone? Wood? Some of Garnup's feats only work when he's standing on earth or stonework, so I'm going to be asking this a lot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect very weak auras of evil coming off of some of the drunken tavern-goers, but nothing quite like an undead abomination... probably just a down-trodden scoundrel.
    An interesting bit of news you do pick up, is that the rageforged in the area, though their numbers are small and primarily harmless within city walls, have been unusually calm and unobtrusive as of late.
    And you're standing on a wood floor just now.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-23 at 01:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Using ventriloquism, Garnup inserts a few words into other people's conversations to start a rumor that there will be a 2 silver piece reward in the evening for anyone who spends the afternoon moving corpses and building a large pyre outside the city walls. He designates some appropriate location that he saw on the way in to town.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff check, if needed: (1d20+11)[19] (includes +3 from Cunning Knowledge)

2 silver pieces is 2 days of wages for a peasant. Should be lots of volunteers.

When Garnup eventually leaves, he'll leave 100 sp for the bartender to find, along with a note instructing him to distribute the funds and keep the remainder as a tip.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Etain

Etain leans back slightly and listens to the conversations as they start to flow more smoothly, although she doesn't speak up to relate her own recent experiences. The others sought places, work, or other goals; she simply hunted.

Paran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Distant indeed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Etain wasn't really planning on staying in town very long, but that's probably changed now that she knows Gideon's here. She's been wandering pretty aimlessly for a while now, and was hoping to get news of some gathering of the dead for her to hunt.

She would accept the Rope Trick offer; normally, she sleeps while invisible and in hard-to-access places, and not having to do that would be a welcome relief.

So she'll probably stick around Gideon and keep her ears open for any rumors of trouble. Well, more trouble than usual, anyway. Make a Gather Information check if you think it warrants it, I guess.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, that's everyone, right? Here we go...

As you all go about your day, things seem uneventful, the very few people go about their days weeping and drinking and plotting fantasy revenge. The sun begins to set, the only signs of that is the mist in the air getting darker... Guards look over the sides of the walls holding firmly onto their pikes and swords as the sound of creaking metal gets closer to the walls...
    *kshink!*"Augh!!"
    "AT AAARMS!! AT AAAAARMS!! RAAAGEFOOOORGED!!" The cries of the guard ring out over the city, every guard that hears it begins to. The sound of metal on stone begins sounding as creatures of twisted metal climb the walls...

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Arching an eyebrow, the halfling glances at his companions.

Well? Perhaps we can see if we can lend a hand. It seems only a fair return for the afternoon's hospitality.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

The weretiger stood up so quickly when the cry of alarm came that his chair skidded back several feet. His hands found his axes at his belt, and in an eyeblink, he had them drawn and ready. His eyes gleamed and he gave a wide, feral grin of pleasure. Indeed... and I never pass an opportunity to give the usurpers a small taste of vengeance.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Gornak

Having finished his meal and shared all the news he wished, Gornak was preparing to head to the forge for the night when the alarm sounded. While his instincts screamed for him to react, he forced himself to take careful evaluation of the situation. As he grabbed his items, he waited for the second alarm to confirm the events outside before heading to the door.

"Indeed, I suspected the lull in rageforged activity was too good to be true. I fear we may be facing a Ragelord's army. Few of their kind would have the organizational skill left to hit a target this big."

With strong, purposeful strides, the minotaur heads out of the old theater to assess the battle.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Sensing that she might lose the warriors' focus at any moment, Gideon reaches out and gropingly finds the shoulder - she hopes that it's the shoulder - of Garnup next to her. From the others' perspective, the halfling boy reaches out and grabs something in the empty chair next to him.

This has been fun. Let's keep in touch, shall we?

A quick pass with his other hand, and a few short syllables, and the spell is complete. The same raspy voice murmurs in the back of Garnup, Etain, Raj and Gornak's heads.

That ought to do it. And don't worry - no one hears anything you don't want them to hear.

The halfling takes a pair of daggers out of his boots and drops them into a side pouch of his pack.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it's not clear, Gideon is casting Telepathic Bond. If Paran wants in on the bond, he just needs to post that he became visible at some point over the course of the afternoon, and I'll ret-con this post (if Krimm doesn't mind, of course).
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-23 at 07:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

For your convenience, a map.

Tell me if I should add any more points of importance.

--

It looks as though some of the less combatant citizens are in a panic... You hear screams and shrieks of fear that are typical with a rageforged attack. Some people begin to shout out rumors they hear, having never come across a real encounter with a deadly automaton...
    "They eat your flesh! They eat every piece off the bone!!"
    "The crankshaft's can't die! They never do!"
    "They'll be after our silver! For the love of the Gods, hide yer silver!"
    "We're all doomed!!"
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-23 at 06:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

Paran

"Garnup ! Of course. We met a while ago - I see your affinity with Shadow has increased."

"Duly noted, not a lamb" he tells Gideon - you can hear a faint smile in his voice. "I must mention my puzzlement as to how you'd think I was a necromancer of any kind. Could I have not approached in secret and unleashed some curses or an army of the dead on you, rather than sit with you ?

As for my presence here... well, I am always looking for places that are - and have a chance of remaining - safe.
    " For my people he adds to himself.

When the alarm comes, Paran rises from his chair without haste. "Troublesome, this. However dull this town is, it would not do for the mad machines to take over another piece of land." He is being sarcastic, but his tone does not indicate it.

When Gideon begins her spell, he reaches out to touch her arm, softly. "If I may ?" he asks politely - he evidently recognized the magic. He thanks her when she includes him in the spell and she feels energy flowing into her body.

"May I suggest that someone with a strong voice gives those poor people the illusion of safety, or at least authority ? Panic in the streets will only help the assailants.

I'll take a quick look at the situation.
    " He strides out of the tavern, Malicorne following him (his footsteps can again be heard). Once outside, he projects part of his shadow up in the air, then watches through it. He tells at once the strange band fate has saddled him with about where the attacks are taking place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow Vigor (ToS) : Gideon gains 11 temporary HPs for 17 min.
    Bend Perspective (ToM) : creates 2 sensors (one for Malicorne) 70' and 75' up in the air, and identify the "hot spots".
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-23 at 09:52 PM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You notice the orange dots and yellow dot on the map(see above)... horrible creatures are pushing through the soldiers of the city, cutting them down like stocks of corn and rushing into the city.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Etain

Etain rises smoothly from her chair, one hand going to her waist and slipping something out of a pocket there: a wooden flute, just under a foot long and made of an odd blue-tinted metal. She raises the flute to her mouth, and begins to play, a short lyrical melody that takes hold of the mind and evokes the sound of rushing wind. A faint breeze actually does swirl about the table, caressing those about the table, and they feel... lighter, as if they could leap into the air and never come down. When Etain lowers the flute only a few seconds later, she is smiling.

"Well, then. Shall we go to meet them?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Fell Flight with Eldritch Symphony; 12 uses of bardic music left. Everybody affected gets a 60' flight speed, Good maneuverability. Enjoy!
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-04-23 at 10:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Rising experimentally into the air, Gideon picks up his staff and nods.

Yes, lets. But first, just to provide a bit of added protection. In case there are any controllers with them.

Again, the hand weaves, and hands slip out to touch Paran this time. There is a brief aura that settles around each of them.

Right. I'll follow.

She trails behind the warriors and Paran, casting spells as she goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Protection from Evil, for whoever wants it.

She then casts Spiderskin, and polymorphs into a Choker - although the hat of disguise makes this not-so-apparent to those who don't see through illusions.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Garnup, speaking for himself for once, replies, "I believe it is high time that we deconstruct some overly bloodthirsty half-constructs into their constituent magical gears!"

And with that, he and Gwen are out the door (still hiding, naturally)
    Spoiler
    Show

You can pretty much assume that Garnup and Gwen are hiding unless explicitly stated otherwise. If they run, they take the -20 penalty to hide and move silently, but they're still going for stealth.

Can Paran identify the "horrible creatures"... or describe them to someone who can?

Garnup has +15 in Knowledge (arcana) and +11 in all the PHB knowledge skills. +3 more if Gwen can make DC 10 to help him remember. :-)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You automatically recognize the creatures as rageforged warriors, common scourge on Shello.

Spoiler
    Show