New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 1

Paran

Paran touches briefly each of them - including a bewildered Garnup to whom he whispers, with a smile : "Shadow knows its own." - infusing them with shadow like he did for Gideon.

He refuses the Protection from Evil spell : "This particular spell makes my skin crawl. They will never see me anyway - only a cloud of darkness." Outdoors, it is even clearer what his power does - it wraps the world around him in shadows. Not an unusual sight for the seasoned adventurers, familiar with the Darkness spell.

He is delighted by Etain's contribution but it's too early for him to thank her.

"I suggest we split up. Most of them seem to be coming from the North, but we also need to contain the threat to the South.

And then we need to control the locals to make sure they don't destroy their own city.
    " He is clearly used to commanding but he is not employing the full extent of his presence on them - they are not his subordinates.

Spoiler
    Show
    +11 temporary HP for 17 min.

I just realized See in Darkness bypasses the Cloak of Shadow. I think it's the "worst" group in terms of people able to detect Garnup, Aghtorr.
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-24 at 12:43 AM.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

It makes most sense for us to try to find and take out the leaders. I suggest we focus on that search - and if one of us spots a leader giving orders, we call the others to congregate. I can check out the north gate.

The halfling is gaining height steadily.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Gornak

15 years of fighting, hunting and oft times fleeing the Rageforged had served Gornak well. While many rightfully blame the undead for the fall of Shello, Gornak held a special connection with the twisted metallic abominations for many of them he had helped build with his very own hands. At least today he would have the chance to put some of his children to rest.

It was clear their position was undefendable as it stood. Rageforged are vicious in the open field and they had too few bodies to hold a line. Their only hope was to help the guard regroup and establish a defensive position. Taking a tentative leap into the air, it takes him a second to adjust to this unexpected form of travel. Once certain he won't suddenly fall to the ground, Gornak speeds to the south.

"Paran is right." he calls out before catching himself and using his thoughts to communicate instead. "Rageforged require no leadership once the killing starts. We may defeat the Ragelord but will lose the city. It is critical we get the citizens organized. If either of you, Paran or Etain, think you have the will to control this chaos then please do. Otherwise we all can spread the word as we go for the people to retreat to the theater."

"Slow the enemy as much as possible. Try to draw the whole lot of them to the old church over there and up the church tower. Enrage them, deceive them, bait them, whatever you can. Once they're in there, I will collapse the building while Gideon teleports you to the theater. Hopefully that will put a dent in their attack though I doubt it will stop them altogether."

"I will try to slow their advance in the south. Do what you can in the north. Let us not lose one of the few havens we have left. Good luck all."
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-04-24 at 02:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Gwen asks, "Paran, how fast can those sensors move? Can you estimate the number of rageforged attacking on each front? Can you see anyone organizing the town's defenses?"

Meanwhile, Garnup waves his hands and conjures a translucent persistent image of a Firre Eladrin to fly above the town singing words in a loud, clear voice to the people encouraging them to fight, letting them know weapons are stored in the meeting house, that the forces of Good are on their side, that the town shall not fall this day, that the rageforged can be defeated, those unable to fight should take shelter and hide, etc. It conveys other pertinent information such as where the ragedforged are attacking.
    Spoiler
    Show

Firre Eladrin (BoED 169) are Chaotic Good outsiders with a Song(su) ability that works like bardic music. Garnup met one once. The image doesn't convey any of the magical bonuses, but hopefully it will at least rally the people. The image will last for 16 minutes. It will fly back and forth in a straight line 100' east and 100' west of the meeting house. The image appears translucent because Garnup doesn't want the people to believe that the Firre is really there, but merely that Good outsiders are observing, taking an interest, and perhaps influencing fate in some small ways.

Anyone interacting with the image get a Will DC 25 to see it for an illusion, but that's OK because it's an illusion pretending to be an illusion.

5. - Top - End - #65

Paran

"My out-of-body viewpoint - what you call a sensor - is not very mobile."
    [OOC: insert answers provided by the DM]

Following the creation of the illusion, Paran decides to call on the power of his race. It means I will probably have to leave afterwards, since people rarely like it when they realize what happened... and some always do.

He banishes the darkness around him and surrounds himself with a halo of silvery light. Far from the shadow of a man that you first saw come into the alehouse, here is a resplendent creature with obvious fey features. His eyes are now a milky white, and the silver strands in his hair acquire a pulsing glow. Even his black garments appear transformed to a pale grey.

He raises a few feet into the air, and starts walking, addressing the upturned faces of the fascinated crowd as he goes. "Go home ! Or to a friend's house if yours is too close to the city walls. Barricade the children and the elders in, and join your militia if you are able of body. The cranks' shall not prevail ! Pass the word."
    Calling the moon to him is difficult and never lasts long, so he starts to fly towards the North, the crowd parting in front of him as he repeats the same message over and over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moonstruck racial ability - everybody within 30' must make a Will save DC 29 or be Charmed for 14h. The aura lasts 14 rounds but he has several uses per day.
    Technically the group has to save too ! (except mindblanked Gideon, and possibly Protected Garnup)

I'm guessing some PCs will grumble at this display after Paran took pains to remain hidden.
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-24 at 08:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Gwen adds, "I suggest we split up as well. We can make a huge dent in the infantry on each front, and it will flush out the leaders. If we can keep the infantry outside the city walls and eliminate any who come within, great. If they overrun us, we can lure them to the church tower Gornak pointed out. If we can make contact with the local leaders at each location, we can use the telepathic bond that Gideon kindly provided to help them coordinate their defense. If you encounter resistance above and beyond the typical rageforged, withdraw and telepathically call for reinforcements. It will take us around two minutes to cross the city north-to-south."

She continues, "There are six of us and four points of attack, three to the north and one to the south. I suggest two of us head towards the south, where it will take the longest to get reinforcements if needed. One each go to the northeast and northwest, and two head to the north-most point of attack. The extra person at the north-most point can quickly move to one of the other northern points if their forces are distributed unevenly."

Meanwhile, Garnup telepathically says to Gideon, "Thank you for the telepathic bond, my friend. Now, if you hold out your arm, I have something for you as well." Assuming Gideon does so, Garnup pulls out a small needle and says, "This may pinch a bit". He mutters an incantation while inscribing a small symbol on Gideon's arm with the needle. As he completes the incantation, the symbol fills with color and Gideon feels increased strength in the arcane powers that reside in his mind. Satisfied with his work, Garnup adds, "Best not to dwell on how it works".

Spoiler
    Show

Heightened Silent Image altered by Garnup's Shadow Illusion ability into a Create Magic Tattoo (SPC 55). +1 unnamed bonus to spellcaster level, duration 1 day.

Sorry that Garnup doesn't have more of them to go around. Ask him about it after the battle and he (or Gwen) will reveal all of the wonderful things that magic tattoos can do for you!

In response to namo/Paran:
    Quote Originally Posted by namo View Post
    Moonstruck racial ability - everybody within 30' must make a Will save DC 29 or be Charmed for 14h. The aura lasts 14 rounds but he has several uses per day.
    Technically the group has to save too ! (except mindblanked Gideon, and possibly Protected Garnup)
    Gideon just cast Protection on anyone who wanted it, so I think we're all fine.

Can you target enough people with that temporary-HP thing to include Gwen as well?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Thank you Garnup. I will continue north, and move east or west if possible. Where is everyone else going?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

Raj nods at the plan. Approving It sounds good to me. I must admit, this it not my preffered method of fighting. My methods usually rely more on stealth and ambush... with the civilians in the way, that is not really an option. My only addition to the plan is that perhaps Gornak and I should go in different directions. We are both durable and resilient, and our strength shall be greatest if one of the warriors is in each group to support those not as well equipped to engage the rage-machines in the thick of fighting.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Gwen melodious voice replies, "Gideon, do you have any large area effect spells? Raj can accompany you to the north, Garnup and I could go northwest, Paran could go northeast, and we can drive their forces towards a trap due north. Are you up for that Paran?" She grins mischievously.

Edit: I completed changed what Gwen was saying after I noticed that Gornak has already said that he's going south. Duh.
    Spoiler
    Show

Garnup can conjure up some nice area effects, too (acid fog). Don't mean to be putting everything on Gideon there. ;-)
    Last edited by Agthorr; 2008-04-24 at 01:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

I would be pleased to accompany Raj north. I have a few tricks that will affect large areas, but only a few. Raj, would it be helpful if there were someone with you to help distract your opponents? That can also be arranged.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, most of Gideon's area effects will impede, not kill, an army of rageforged. I'll have a few good shots (freezing fog, black tentacles, etc), and then I become a suboptimal sniper.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Gwen begins to reply to Gideon, but then Paran repeats the information he gathered. Gwen then says, "Oh? There are FOUR fronts to the north? The original point of attack and three others on top of that? I see. One each to the north and two to the south, then. We'll take the north-northwest front, where the original breach occurred. We'll try to generally coral any rageforged we don't kill toward due north of the city. If we can catch them all there in and ambush them with area spells, great. Gideon, if you run out, Garnup has several prepared as well."

The tiny Eladrin continues, "Enough talk. Let's move! And be careful everyone. Having to bury new friends makes me mad, and you don't want to see me mad!" For a moment she glows like a small ball of light as she speaks, then returns to being rather difficult to see.

With that, Gwen and Garnup head off toward the point of the original breach as stealthily as they are able at top speed.

Spoiler
    Show

Hope you don't me me interjecting for you there, Paran. :-)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

Raj nods briefly at the question regarding the aid of a distraction Any help is always welcomed, especially against a superior number of foes. But I am quite well able to deal with these creatures. I am no stranger to battle, and unless their blades are forged from silver, they will have trouble cutting through my hide. Are you ready to go? We have little time to delay.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Etain

Out of doors, Etain begins to rise, vanishing into the air and moving rapidly towards the city walls. Her voice comes eventually through the bond, commenting, "Should you need me, I will be at the closest front, to the northwest, and circling around to the east. Good hunting to you all."

Spoiler
    Show
    Etain is using Walk Unseen, and going straight for the most westerly point. Spells and such active: Protection from Evil, all 24-hour invocations (including Walk Unseen; Dark One's Luck is applied to Fortitude).
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

The halfling floats above the rushing feline.

I'll be there with you. I'll keep them bottled up as best I can.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-24 at 06:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Paran

Etain's mention of 'hunting' sends a brief shiver running down his spine.

"<< I will head towards the eastern breach. Good luck ! >>"

I hope they are still held at bay at the city wall. Fighting in the streets will make my task unpleasantly difficult.

"Malicorne, fly high and keep me updated. I need to concentrate on this crowd for now" he whispers to the invisible raven perched on his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    No problem - when it comes to sharing information, you can generally assume he'll be cooperative.

Yes, Gwen can have the extra HPs.
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-24 at 07:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Raj

Raj began to move to his assigned location. His blades were in his hands and battle-light in his eyes as he prepared to bring the fight to his foe.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, could everyone get a copy of the map and show me the route you're taking through the city. If you don't have a photobucket account or something, you can e-mail it to me at [email protected]
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-24 at 08:27 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Gornak's path is pretty easy, he's just heading south along the main road to the point of the southern alarm. He'll try to fly above the rooftops so he can get a good view of the surrounding area. Will try to get an image up sometime tonight.

He'll also swap in the Greater Demolition Crystal while he travels.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-04-24 at 10:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Raj suggests that they take a different route, Gideon will be rising up to about 30' above the average rooftop level, and more or less following the main road north to the north gate. If Raj chooses to remain on the ground, Gideon will provide "traffic copter" updates to him as they go.

20. - Top - End - #80

Spoiler
    Show

He's flying 10' above ground using Moonstruck almost all the way. At the end he'll rise higher in the air to go over the city wall if the Rageforged haven't breached it completely.

Krimm:
    - is Paran succeeding in calming the locals at least a bit ?
    - how far have the Rageforged penetrated into the town ?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-25 at 12:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    -You've succeeded in calming some down, but as a whole, they're still really scared.
    -Everyone see the little 9 in a circle? Sort of near the top. Maybe hard if you have high resolution. But about that far from each breach they've made.

Edit: Also, sorry about not throwing you into combat yet... I kind of didn't expect you guys to split up...
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-25 at 03:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Garnup and Gwen fly in a straight line from the meeting house to the point of the original alarm, at top speed. They fly over or around any buildings in the way, but no higher than necessary. He wants to be able to land quickly if he needs to. If the mist isn't thick enough to grant at least some concealment, Gwen hops into Garnup's familiar pocket first. Garnup is doing his best to move quietly and unseen as he travels.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming I don't need to draw on the map since there is only one possible straight line from the meeting house to the yellow dot on the map.

Hide and Move Silently at -20 when running.

Everyone see the little 9 in a circle? Sort of near the top. Maybe hard if you have high resolution. But about that far from each breach they've made.
    What's about that far from each breach they've made?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Gornak
    Init -2, HP 157/157, +11 temp DR 2/-, Speed 20ft (Flight 60ft Good)
    AC 30, Touch 13, Flat-footed 30, Fort +22, Ref +19, Will +16
    Abilities Str 31, Dex 18, Con 22, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 9
    Conditions Protection From Evil (not applied to stats), Fell Flight, Telepathic Bond
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler
    Show

Give a high level party a bunch of targets, they're bound to split up. It's built into their psyche.

Let me know if you'd rather I drop the stat block. I usually find it useful once combat is starting.

Gornak speeds south while trying to get a view of how extensive the southern attack is. Flying was a new sensation, one Gornak was not sure he altogether enjoyed. Still, there was no arguing its effectiveness in getting from place to place.

As he travels, he bellows out in his loudest voice to the people below. "TO THE THEATER! FALLBACK TO THE THEATER AND REGROUP! BEFORE YOU GET YOURSELVES EATEN YOU FOOLS!"

Hearing Raj's comment about silver weapons jogs a memory in Gornak's mind. "Silver! Of course! Rageforged crave silver, in all forms. If we have or can conjure up a stash of silver, we may be able to lead them where we wish. Openly wearing silver will be a sure way to get them to focus on you."

Reaching into his pack, the minotaur grabs a fistful of silver arrows and places them in his quiver arrowhead up. He also straps his silver dagger so that the blade is plain to be seen.

"Once in battle, look for the artificers. Unless they are disabled, they will repair damaged Rageforged in the area and send them back into battle."
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-04-25 at 03:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garnup

Telepathically, Garnup asks Etain, "What is the duration of this magical flying ability which you have kindly bestowed upon us for which we are most thankfully in this inhospitable circumstances requiring us to move quickly over the ground? I ask as I will be somewhat inconvenienced, as you might well imagine, if the power which you have conveyed would happen to fall short at an unexpected and inopportune moment, such as when I am quite high over the very large and very hard earth to which I might fall with excruciating pain if not for my own magical ability to save myself at the last moment, though the distraction might give one of these hostile contraptions the opportunity to puncture my body with many swiftly-fired arrows."

A moment later he adds, "Also, I humbly request that you forgive the unoriginal and quite unintended pun in my previous utterance which I feel is not up to high levels of quality afforded to me by my fine gnomish sense of humor.
    Spoiler
    Show

There's a reason Gwen does most of the talking.

25. - Top - End - #85

Paran

Paran cannot go as fast as he'd like since he has to continue his public order operation for a little longer. While repeating the same litany, he wonders whether the silver from his lance will be enough to attract attention from the machines.
    He also attempts to block the telepathic noise emanating from Garnup but isn't quite successful at it. So he grimaces, and endures.

Spoiler
    Show
    i.e. for a few rounds he does double-moves instead of running. When he'll get closer, he'll run and use Flicker to catch up on the time lost (240+40 feet per round). Malicorne runs/flies ahead 60' above ground.

Rule question: does the +10 ft to all speeds from the Dark template also apply to "acquired" speeds, like his fly speed ?
    Last edited by namo; 2008-04-25 at 04:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gideon

Gideon suddenly remembers why she didn't ALWAYS use telepathic bond when working with Garnup.

As the battlefront comes within view, Gideon slows. The halfling casts two more enchantments on himself, causing one Gideon to become many.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Shield and Mirror image, leading to (1d4+6)[9], or 8, duplicates (whichever is less).
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-25 at 05:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Etain

"It will last a day and a night. None of you need fear falling," is Etain's considerably shorter reply.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Roughly three-quarters of a mile on his way to the south gate, Gornak(and anyone with him) starts seeing the rageforged running through the streets in an unorganized raid. You notice a woman in a grey dress scream and run from a building... three massive rageforged leap upon the woman and tear her apart... Her blood is splattered as far as 20 feet from her body by the metal abominations.

Paran, and anyone with him see many rageforged attempting to break into a large circular building. It is a portion of the building with a large sign that says 'JEWELERS'. A small group of people attempt to run while the creatures are distracted, but one of the crankshafts turns and runs them down... and with one fell cut he cuts them down like stocks of corn.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-25 at 07:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Gornak
    Init -2, HP 157/157, +11 temp DR 2/-, 5/adamantine Speed 20ft (Flight 60ft Good)
    AC 30, Touch 13, Flat-footed 30, Fort +21, Ref +18, Will +15
    Abilities Str 31, Dex 18, Con 22, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 9
    Conditions Protection From Evil (already applied), Fell Flight, Telepathic Bond
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler
    Show

How many Rageforged would Gornak estimate is in the south right now? Less than 50, about 50 or way over 50? He's got to decided whether to call for backup or not.

Also, these massive Rageforged are Large or are they Medium sized?

"Time to draw some attention." the minotaur mutters to himself.

With a bestial roar, Gornak swoops down to engage the adbominable trio of crankshafts. His feet touch the ground right as he unleashes a powerful swing of his greathammer at one of murderous constructs.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge, power attack -5, activate Stone Bones

Attack(1d20+25)[43] (Crit check) (1d20+25)[33]
    Damage(6d6+32)[56]

If any of the other Rageforged provoke AoOs, Gornak will use those attacks to sunder their weapons (assuming they're not made of adamantine). +39 to sunder roll for 4d6+32 damage ignore hardness up to 20. Combat Reflexes gives him up to 4 AoOs.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-04-25 at 08:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

You swing your massive weapon at one of the comparatively small rageforged and sunder it's very head from it's shoulders as it's body flies back several meters. The other two don't even look at the body of their slain companion, just stare directly at Gornak, before opening their jagged jaws and begin to attack. The first unleashes two blows from his saw-toothed sword, but both of them are deflected off of Gornak's stout armor.
    The other lets out a loud call, unlike any normal noise you've ever heard, but all too common among the rageforged... A call to battle. When his call is complete he swings his sword, but also misses.

Spoiler
    Show