New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 2

"Hah!! Brilliant my boy, brilliant!" He slaps him hard on the back, "This is a right good gift!" He blinks as he suddenly noticed the massive twin-jaws of the beast laying on the deck, "Good lord, boy! Yer like the son I never had!"
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nestarion grins while he wipes away the sweat of a hard few hours work.

"Well, Captain, do try to avoid any further sea monsters. Or else you'll need to be paying us for protection." he grins.

He sits down on the deck, leaning with his back against the wooden wall that served to keep sailors from sliding overboard.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

After a few days more of sailing, there doesn't appear to be any more problems, only a few more days of rain. As the sky becomes dimmer behind the cloud cover and night approaches, one of the crewmen calls out from the crow's nest, "Captain! There's a man out there! In the water!"
    The captain looks out over the ocean, "By Derkus, there is a man out there... Men! Throw a ring to the poor feller!!" Almost as soon as he says it, some of the crew throws a wooden circle tied to a rope out into the water to the man.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Nestarion had been high in the rigging, near the 'crow's nest', getting a sense of how to work the sails, work the ropes, and...in general...how to sail a ship. It was fun for him to learn new and intersting, though sometimes not so useful, things.

Upon hearing that there was a man in the water, the half-fiend did a brief once-over making sure he had his weapon, then lept into the air, out over the water, in the direction of the floating man.

He knifed into the water, his diabolic form penetrating the cobalt-blue water like a spear.

With just a few powerful strokes under the water, he had reached the man.

Spoiler
    Show

If he's unconscious, he'll just surface, grab him, and "tow" him to the boat.

If he's conscious, he'll make certain to surface *behind* him and announce that he's a friend here to help him on board. No sense panicking the man.

Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[27]

Maneuvers for the day:
    Spoiler
    Show

Warblade
    Emerald Razor
    Ruby Nightmare Blade
    Steely Strike
    Iron Heart Surge

Swordsage
    Flashing Sun
    Zephyr Dance
    Moment of Perfect Mind
    Soaring Raptor Strike

Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man was tossed about the waves, clutching to the driftwood he had managed to grab in the destruction of his ship for his dear life. For two days he had been at sea, two miserable days. His arms were stiff from grasping the wood, and his mind dulled by the long days which he suffered while clutching it. At first he thought it was just his imagination when a ship appeared, and his throat was far to dry to waste speak on mirages. Then noise, the noise of people yelling and a rope thrown to him. It was too bad that he was barely able to hold onto the Driftwood...

Suddenly he heard a splash, in that slight daze he had fallen in sense the ship's destruction, and he suddenly realized that maybe this wasn't another mirage, maybe he was saved. Then something came up from the water behind him, frightening him slightly, enough to almost lose his grip on the driftwood.

The being announced itself as a friend, willing to lend a hand to his situation, but Sylph knew better than to follow the advice of any random creature who appeared before him. At least in most circumstances where he wasn't holding onto driftwood for his dear life.

"Well..."

He paused, swallowing several times in order to think as well as clear his throat, it was rather dry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge check to determine what the creature is that surfaced behind him.
    34 For the planes
    37 For Arcana

"I guess I'll take any help I can get, as long as I'm not on the dinner menu."

He said a with a hoarse chuckle, looking at the man to gauge his reaction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an Action to cast Quickened Hold Person if the man attacks me

Spell Penetration (If Necessary): 33

((OOC - I had to change my post because I realized my character didn't need to eat or drink and therefore would not fall unconcious from lack of either))
    Last edited by Robert Frost; 2008-05-03 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Continuity Issues
    Special Thanks to Kopaka for the wonderful Avatar!

Spoiler
    Show
    "I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
    I took the one less traveled by,
    and that has made all the difference."

--- Robert Lee Frost

6. - Top - End - #96

There is a deep chuckle. "What kind of a person do you think I am? Now if you were a chicken, or perhaps a cow, then I might have to skewer you and roast you over a fire." again, a chuckle. "But the captain might not care for such a big fire on his boat." The man slides his arm underneath the man's armpit and across his chest. You can feel that there is a great strength in his grip.

You hear him splashing through the water with his other hand, and sense him kicking with his legs.

Quickly, the two of you are propelled through the water and arrive in moments at the ship.

He grasps at two of the ropes that have been thrown overboard, and then ties them around the man's chest. "Up up and away." he chuckles.

It's only then that you can see your "savior". He is a powerfully built creature with diabolical heritage. His skin is blood-red, and the two large horns that protrude from his head are the deepest ebony. His eyes, as he looks up to ensure that you reach the top safely, are yellow and cat-like.

He smiles up at you, a warm, friendly smile.

As soon as the sailors have the man safely on deck, you hear the "man" start climbing the side of the ship. In moments, the horns appear, and then the rest of the "man". He swings his leg over the wooden "wall", and then stands upon the deck, rising well over seven feet in height.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just as a bit of advice, for rolls you should use the board rollers. To use that just put [ roll]1d20 or what have you[/roll] just without the space in the first [roll].
    --
    You determine as you're brought across the ship and back down below deck that several of the people on this boat... are not quite normal. There is a creature that is a half devil, half-xerfylstyx. Another is more human in appearance, but only so much; You realize he is the forsaken mortal, bound to both their creed of good and attempts of redemption and the Nine Hells of Baator. He is a Hellbred.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

While others effect the rescue of the man in the sea, Taraliel begins chanting to himself, while holding a silver half-skull that he keeps around his neck. It glows softly, and almost seems to open its mouth in time with Taraliel's. After a few minutes, the glow spreads to the are in front of him, tracing a large shape on the deck. Soon, a large table appears on the deck, replete with fine food and wine.

"Dig... in, my-friends. This will-help-re...store your strength. There is enough for... fifteen, so those-worst off should have... it." He gestures to the seats, though he doesn't approach one himself. "There is enough for... fifteen."

When the others have returned to the ship, and people begin to eat the repast, he paces up and down the deck. "An... interesting creature, was-it-not? Dangerous, but... perhaps we-can learn from it." He raises a finger, as though lecturing. "A kraken, a... squid. Yes, let's start-with a squid, my pets. Ordinary. Extraordinary. Spell...casting. Intelligent. Evil. Courted by... a demon? Two-headed. Demogorgon. Lord... of-the-88th layer of the Abyss. Courted or... commanded. It makes-no difference, none... at all. The demon lord... the Prince-of-Demons, he's called... will have his way. Her way. Both. Was he the-father? Or... the mother? Father-most-likely. Why give birth? Troublesome. Diffi...cult. Cults, perhaps. Perhaps not even the squid... gave birth. So many... lesser servants, willing-to-do-the-job. 'Womb for sale, penny a pup!' But a loveless-union, nonetheless, whoever gave... birth in-the-end. Thus, our... friend. Our-victim. I wish I could-have-got...ten more samples from it. So much... research to be-done." He glances at Nesturion. "No-offense. But autopsies... are revealing in-ways-that normal obser...vation can-never be. Elves and... humans, for-example, are far more... similar than my-people-would believe, anatomically."
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The captain stands in front of the newcomer, "Welcome aboard me lad! I'm a trustin' man... So fer now I can allow yeh on me ship. Don't cause too much trouble, alrigh'? Otherwise I gotta throw yeh off. Yeh any good at bein' a sailor?" He says all of this with a grin and a squinted eye.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sylph did his best to shake out and dry himself, having been wet and pruney (that often happens when holding onto a piece of driftwood for two days), and to stretch his rather stiff muscles and joints. He was relatively stiff and uncomfortable, and after bending over and trying to fix his back, both of which seemed pained from the experience, he turned back to take a look about the deck, getting a feel for the ship. He'd been on ships before, and to his mind it didn't seem unpleasant, in fact it seemed quite welcoming. Which was further proved by the Captain's questioning of him, whom he quickly turned to.

"Although I'm no stranger to ships, I'm no sailor. And I doubt I'd cause trouble to the kind-hearted captain and sailors who chanced upon me and saved my life, right?"

He smiled wide, and chuckled quietly, enjoying the fact that he was no longer clutching to a piece of wood for his dear life.

"I owe you a bit of a boon, Captain, and based on the type of people you have on your ship, you must be heading somewhere dangerous. Is there any way I could repay you? Further, where is it exactly you're going? I was headed to Shello myself... Before my ship was... mysteriously destroyed..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since I haven't really worked out with Krimm how my previous ship was destroyed, I'm not being ambiguous or mysterious, my character just honestly doesn't know.

Spoiler
    Show

--- Robert Lee Frost

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

"We're headed tah Shello, so yer in luck! Though not 'bout yer ship... Perhaps it was tha great bloody beast we offed earlier..." He points to the tentacles and jaws still on the deck, tied down and preserved by one of the ship's adepts. "Horrible beast, it was... But yer safe now, and headed right fer a world o' adventure! Now if'n you don't mind, I got me some captaining ta do."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-04 at 09:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Gale, peaking past the sails filled with wind, tried to make sense of the situation with a very limited sight. Finally, deciphering the gist of what's going on and seeing the feast set up, he decides to abandon his post by the wheel. "Hey, save some for me too!"

It wasn't that he really needed the food, but the smells were simply delicious and he enjoyed the company. In any case, it was getting late, and he was sure that the captain wouldn't mind - or if he would, Gale didn't really care: if the captain felt he wasn't doing his job, he could always pay for his trip, but how well could the captain go on with the damaged ship without calm and steady winds?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the inactivity lately, been busy, busy, busy. Trying to make up for it now, but I still have a school essay to write for the day after tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

A many day's travel passes by without consequence, the sky even clears up and the sun shines gently upon the ship. The winds are soothing and cool and spirits are high among the crew, and almost daily do they and the captain sing various sea-shanties.
    It is another two uneventful weeks before you begin to reach the mist... The twisted, grey mists of the Shello. Once this happens the crew seems far less upbeat, the captain doesn't sing and it is almost as if you're all being watched by the mist itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I need Spot checks from everyone.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-06 at 05:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+2)[14]

"Captain. Would you like me to attempt to disperse this fog? Granted, I can only do it in a three-mile radius, but... I don't like this fog."
    Gale stands by the railing, staring into the mist.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

The captain speaks as grimly as he ever has... "No lad, I'm afraid that won't do tha trick... Even so, this fog's keepin' us alive. We get seen, we get eaten by summat even worse than tha great watery beast from weeks ago..." He shakes his head. "No lad... we ride the fog..."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

After the commotion of saving a drowning man died down, Derham returned to his quarters, returning to his quiet meditation, praying to Adamus to provide him with the strength he needed to rid this world of Evil.
    ------
    As the mist enveloped the ship, and the crew grew silent, a shiver ran down Derham's spine. He finished his prayer, and rose to the deck.

"Captain, is there something wrong?" he asks, looking around the mist.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[28]
    Using Detect Evil
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.
    Will: Wow, that's, 30,000gp. That's more than you can get with a wish spell
    Me: Yeah, it was more than I could ever wish for.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

"Nay, me boy. S'just the mists o' Shello." He looks over his shoulder at the Hellbred, "Been here since day one, be here 'til the last day." He takes a deep breath and says grimly, "If'n there is a last day o' this..."
    He looks out over the crew and all the passengers and speaks up more heartily, "But what's the adventure in wanderin' safe lands, eh?! Hah!" He gives a big grin typical of him through even dark times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get a feeling deep in your stomach about this mist... It's not as if you can actually see the evil of it... you simply feel it. This is a whole new level of evil, unlike anything you've dealt with in your life.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-07 at 12:34 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It is odd, to be so close to Shello again."

Sylph said, as his heart beat quicker as he felt the mist that once defined his homeland, remembering something similar to it as he left Shello so many years before. The mist itself was characteristic of the place, and reminded him of his childhood, and sorrow. For most of the past two weeks he had been on the deck of the ship, prepared for extreme hardship. He had stayed out of the way, knowing something of how to avoid being a nuisance aboard a ship, he had commissioned one and been on one or another for a reasonable portion of his adult life.

His hands remained in the air at most times, weaving shapes of the fog that settled about the ship. Peculiar shapes of diamonds, circles, some runes that appeared to be spells, but none of it was truly magic. It was something to pass the time, something to allow him another moment of sanity against the anxiousness he felt upon nearing Shello.

His homeland. The land that had made him an orphan, the place he had only seen the shore of several times since his Exodus from it as a child. Shello. A place of tormented evil that he felt it necessary to quench with his power. Power which had grown over the years, attuned with a slight bit of his hatred of the evil which permeated this place now, a hatred of things demonic or otherwise tainted by undead. They were abominable to him, and worthy of nothing but destruction and ruination by his own hand. He clenched his fist tightly at this thoughts, disrupting the images he drew with the fog and mist around him.

"One day.... One day I will return to my village and destroy the wretchedness that killed all whom I loved."

He muttered underneath his breath, before paying a bit of attention to what was going on around him. It all seemed so beneath him, a means to an end. That end, of course, being a return to the land of Shello, the land which should shake at his very coming - for he was angry, and he brought with him the desire to destroy and change the horrible things there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the long random post, but I wanted to get a better feel for the character. Here's a spot check, although you could reduce it somewhat as he wasn't paying too much attention to what was going on around him, rather introverted as he is.

Spot: (1d20+6)[11]

Spoiler
    Show

--- Robert Lee Frost

19. - Top - End - #109

Nestarion had tried to absorb as much about sailing and running a ship as he possibly could in the days and weeks at sea.

When the fog enveloped the ship, he unsheathed his katana and set his shield to floating next to him. The unnatural, evil feeling that permeated the fog had him on edge.

He stood next to the captain, eyes watching the fog, trying to penetrate the thick wall of obscuring mist.

Spot - (1d20+5)[8]

Spoiler
    Show

Maneuvers for the day:
    Emerald Razor
    Ruby Nightmare Blade
    Mountain Hammer
    Ironheart Surge

Flashing Sun
    Soaring Raptor Strike
    Moment of Perfect Mind
    Shadow Blade Technique
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

20. - Top - End - #110

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+4)[24]

Spells Pre-cast (with CL 19 from Prayer Beads on all except Heroes' Feast):
    Mass Conviction (+5 morale bonus to saves for everyone)
    Heroes' Feast (Immunity to Fear and Poison, +1 morale bonus to attacks, and (1d8+7)[14] temporary hit points to everyone.)
    Phantom Stag (Transportation!)
    Armor of Darkness (+8 deflection bonus to AC and +2 unnamed bonus to saves vs. Holy, Light, and Good spells or effects to Taraliel)
    Scales of the Sealord (+5 natural armor bonus for Taraliel)
    Superior Resistance (+6 resistance bonus to saves)

"Such... lovely weather," Taraliel said. He was standing on the deck near Nesturion and the captain. Wisps of darkness seemed to slip from his clothing to insinuate themselves into the mist around him. His skin glistens with tiny scales. "It-is easy to... ignore some things in-weather-like this. Back... home, it was-preferable to some-of the things... in the light." He winced as he spoke, as though hit by something. Nearby, a bullish shape follows him placidly. It moves strangely, and its limbs don't seem to move quite right. Its horns glint in light that isn't there. It appears to be a creature only half-made. One can see through the skin in parts to see the muscle moving, or the organs squirm. There is a distinctly unreal sense to it, and it makes no sound as its hooves hit the deck. "And yet... something strange is-in-this. You... you feel it, don't-you? Nesturion? Shello is like-this. Often. I would-not come... here if I didn't-need to. I prefer... safer lands."
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

For Taraliel and Derham ONLY!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something dark in the grey mist catches your eye. Something... horrible, it looks like a bird, but so very different. It's body looks like that of a large raven, but the shine of it's feathers are dulled and appear to have soot on them. This is where the similarities of the raven and this particular bird end. It's head, instead of the normal head of a raven is replaced with that of an embalmed goat's skull with razored teeth and two glowing pinpoints of sickly green. It stares down over the boat a few times before noticing you looking at it and instantly takes flight, and disappears into the mist.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-08 at 11:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sylph's eyes went from the mist to the people on the deck. He wasn't particularly interested in the mist anymore, as he would be on the shore of Shello soon enough. That and his ability to draw shapes with the mist was of passing interest (at best) and therefore he required something else to fill his time. So he walked over to Taraliel, a figure he knew little about (having been saved by Nesturion and not knowing much about any of the other members of the crew and passengers).

"Odd friend you have there. Do you feed it apples?"

Said Sylph, his hands motioning toward the bullish phantom which seemed to follow around Taraliel. He didn't give it more than a passing glance before looking over Taraliel head to toe, holding a strong gaze.

"Sylphs the name. What's yours?"

His attention seemed focused on the man's eyes, a strange gleam in them. As he was becoming bored, a little conversation wouldn't hurt things... Or would it...?
    Last edited by Robert Frost; 2008-05-09 at 01:51 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

--- Robert Lee Frost

23. - Top - End - #113

"I-am Taraliel du... Shorning. I control the fundamental... forces of life-and-death. It-is a pleasure to... meet you." Taraliel's eye twitches slightly as he speaks. "Fortunately, I... do not feed-him anything. He isn't quite-real, in fact. Merely a... magical construct. He would, no-doubt, eat a great... deal, if it were... otherwise." He chuckles, a slightly wheezing sound, then looks into the sky. "Of course, speaking of... strange creatures, there-is-a member of the native... wildlife that may prove... harmful. Very common-for Shello. However. Its appearance is... unsettling to me. Familiar."
    Last edited by Jack Mann; 2008-05-09 at 09:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

24. - Top - End - #114

Derham stares up into the sky as well
    "I wonder if I should wish it were familiar to me, All I know is it looks weak, but it's presence frightens me more than that fiendish squid."
    He replies to Taraliel, although speaking in a tone almost as if he were talking to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Me: When I started the adventure, my character was handed a bag full of 100 MW daggers.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, yes, I was wondering how we would handle the pre-cast spells. Here are mine, he casts them practically every morning out of habit. Has saved his life more than once.

Control weather, untriggered, total duration: (4d12)[21]. The result of this roll times two. Once triggered with a standard action, the radius is 3 miles.

Gale has also cast two Disintegrates into his Divine companion, giving a base of 12 to use on the applications of the companion - either healing self or protection.

He also has Overland Flight cast on himself, although he remains grounded on the ship.

Acknowledging Sylph with a look: "Greetings. You must be the shipwrecked one. I don't think we've been introduced: I am Gale of the storm."

Gale, directing a piercing glance towards Derham and Taraliel, distracted by their words. "What do you mean? The presence of what? ... What do you see, that I can not?" Gale starts scanning the skies with his eyes, following their lead.

26. - Top - End - #116

"It's some manner... of-undead. I do-not recognize this... variety. It is strange... that I would not. Especially given the... resemblance. Perhaps I should have-stayed away. This-is no friend to... me, I am sure." Taraliel nods to Derham. "You should be... glad you lack-my... familiarity." The pause before "familiarity" sounds different, almost natural, as though he were trying to broach a difficult subject. He reached up to his half-mask, as though making sure it were secure. "The god that... my people worship-finds this form... appealing, for some-reason. It seems... I have not left my-home as far... behind as I had hoped. I fear-that I may be the... target."

He looks to the captain. "Sir, I... may have put this vessel in... danger. If-it-pleases you, I... think it might be best if... I departed. I will try-to draw them... off. You have-been hospitable. I would not have-you or... the crew-harmed on... my behalf. Nor the-others."
    Spoiler
    Show

Owl-atar by KingGolem

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

The captain looks just about ready to say something before one of the crewmen walks up on deck and shouts, "Captain! We need to stop, the boarding of the hull wasn't strong enough! We need to beach the ship or we'll sink!" The captain seems to have his attention drawn from Taraliel as the crewman shouts, but is drawn right back to the elf when he's done. "'Fraid not, m'boy. Looks like we'll be headed fer land right about now, besides," He grins, "I like yeh too damn much! GET READY TO BEACH!"

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the Captain's words Sylph clutched to the rail for his dear life, he had been on ships before and a Breach didn't sound like it would be something fun for him to experience. His eyes darted about as he tried his best to hold onto the rail and not be thrown overboard in the case of the breach.

"Wastes of Shello, here we come!"

Spoiler
    Show

--- Robert Lee Frost

29. - Top - End - #119

Derham looked confused, he knew what a beach was, and what was going on seemed more like crashing than docking, so he ran over to the mast, grabbed hold of a few sturdy ropes, and waited.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

The captain, despite his own advice simply stood on the deck, not even grabbing the wheel he stood behind as the crew braced themselves all over the ship. It's only a few seconds of even seeing the land before it and the ship become one in a destructive union. The ship is jolted, the sounds of cracking and metal bending are heard all over the ship, the captain somehow keeping his footing in the crash. It's a gut-wrenching few seconds of the momentum keeping the ship going in the grey-white sand before the ship finally stops.

"Well, f**k." The captain said frankly.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-11 at 03:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show