New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 3

Garulf nodded.

"Indeed, I've never seen an affliction like unto this one in my entire life, whether at study or abroad... it is discouraging to see innocents afflicted as they are by such a dark disease," Garulf's eyes flashed dangerously suddenly, and his face hardened, "But it is infuriating to think that whatever created this plague, could well have been alive once. This plague is an afront to our Order," the Fist gestured to Horace, then stood, his height making the now angry priest seem fearsome indeed.

"I can send word to the abbey, to the other orphans taken in by the bishop there. We can seek aid from without... but we must do it quickly. On the morrow, I wish to hallow this building, small as it is, to strengthen it as a place of good and healing. Brother Horace," Garulf turned to the older man, "I pray that you can remain here, to continue to minister to those who need aid. After I have hallowed this place, I will need solitude for prayer; I have much to ask of powers higher than we, and little to give," Garulf seemed to calm before the two men, and took his seat once more.

"I wish to do all that I can, Tassik... it pains me to see this place as it is... I swear to you, I will do everything in my power to cleanse the darkness of this place... but I will need help. Have you knowledge of any surviving libraries, or scholars... anyone who can help me attempt to pierce the shroud of the unknown, to the very heart of what plagues these lands?" Garulf's hands disappeared into his robes, and his gaze fell to the floor, his voice softening.

"If it is said that the mists are responsible for the rageforged, then... perhaps unmaking it will be a great stride toward healing this land... will you help me?"
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-04-29 at 09:01 PM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Tassik closes his eyes for a moment, his head somewhat down. "I know of people, in a place distant from here." He opens his eyes again, with pain in his expression. "It is the village all here must now venture to... This place cannot be stayed in... So I am sorry Good Horace... Garulf, your efforts have been for not..." He stands up and puts a hand on Garulf's shoulder, "I have felt a horrible, pain in the very air of this place..." A tear rolls down his cheek, but he attempts to look gentle and calm, "The tree is dead."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Near instantly, distress etched itself across Garulf's features; sadness, worry, and a hint of frustration, which the priest instantly quashed.

"Then... What would you have me do, Tassik? I can beseech the higher powers for aid, bringing servants of the Gentle Lord to our aid for the journey... but such a task may bring a high price... I can attempt to feed those who are willing every day, in exchange for their donation, though the thought leaves a bitter taste in my mouth... I would feed them regardless..." Garulf drops off, into thought for a moment.

"If it is a journey we must take then we must take it. I will do everything within my power to gather graces to our cause, noble Tassik," the gentle Fist stood then, a hand resting lightly on the shifter's shoulder, "For now, however... let us go visit the Tree one last time. The day wanes; there is little more I can do, save offer the rite of gentle passing to some few persons, if I am to prepare for the morrow sufficiently."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Tassik has a very melancholy smile on his face as he looks at Garulf and thinks of his offer, "Yes... Yes I think that is the best thing to do..." He holds his staff as a walking stick again instead of resting on his shoulder and helps Horace up, and the three men begin to walk back to where the tree now lays dry and dead.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

As the three men walked, Garulf spoke gently, hoping to perhaps instill hope into Tassik and Horace; the death of the Tree was tragic, to be certain, but all things die in time...

"Truly, we are blessed, even in the face of such tragedy, my friends," the Fist said, glancing to each man in turn, "Perhaps we may yet find the road ahead to be easier... perhaps the other newcomers, the warrior hearts who came shortly after I did to this place, will be willing to aid us with the exodus." Once they reached the clearing of the Tree, Garulf somberly dug into his satchel, retrieving his censer and a few pinches of myrrh, which he lit with a tindertwig. Holding the chain almost reverently, he stood a few paces distant from Tassik, allowing the shifter his space, and motioning to Brother Horace, he spoke softly.

"In the end, all things die... but for something so great as this Tree, with a spirit of its own, perhaps it would not be amiss to offer our prayers, though our own kindred perhaps it was not." Softly, the Fist began to chant in the tongue of angels, his hand moving ever so slightly, that the censer began to sway just enough for air to enter the censer, and fill the air with the scent of incense.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

"...May the White Reaper find her in the afterlife." The old priest speaks in a solemn tone. Tassik says nothing, but seems to be the first of the three to notice Matteo holding the dried wooden body of the Dryad.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-30 at 07:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Garulf's chanting slowly died away as his eyes caught sight of a shifter, clutching what looked to be a wooden statue of a beautiful woman and weeping softly. Censer still in hand, Garulf closed the distance between himself and Tassik, touching the shifter's elbow with his free hand and nodding slightly at the shifter, and more importantly the wooden statue, sadness blending with gentle understanding in his eyes, as if the Fist were asking, Is that her?.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Not turning, Matteo nods to the other. He does not know him but they both can share the giref of this loss. It is a loss to all who breathe in the world.
    She... didn't want to die alone.
    He gently laid the wooden body on the ground.
    I... need to bury her. Your welcome to stay, but I must do this. Both for her... and for those I have lost.
    Taking his shield, Matteo begins to dig away, carefully carving a hole out of the dirt around the trees roots. Though he knows it to be dead, he still respects the home of his departed friend, who knew more of his pain than any other.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2008-05-01 at 10:59 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Not waiting for Tassik's response, Garulf handed the censer of myrrh to Horace, and knelt silently next to the shifter who was working feverishly to dig a hole with his shield. With his bare hands, the Fist begins to help the shifter dig, sorrow radiating from his eyes even as compassion guides his hands. After a few seconds of silence, Garulf begins to chant again, the tongue of angels rolling from his mouth in low, gentle tones. He sings words of comfort and sorrow, life and death. Though the words bear the weight of sadness, they evoke the light of hope in the heart of those who hear it, if those who hear them have room in their hearts for hope.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how many of us here speak Celestial, but I *think* Garulf is the only one. React how you may.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

The next morning(if you don't mind me jumping to that), the town guard walks about the city in all the known populated areas ringing bells or hitting large drums and proclaiming, "The city is to be cleared! Gather your valuables and be sure to leave quickly! Leave your silver! The city is to be abandoned by order of Father Tassik!" This is repeated over and over in many different versions depending on the guard walking down the streets.
    The sad and the sick all begin to shuffle out of their homes and to the north town gates... Father Tassik waits there for them all, making sure he is the last to leave the city and that everyone is safe. Beside him is Kuusij, making sure to quell any kind of riots that may arise.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"This is foolish at best... undead, fine, monsters, fine. But a dead tree? It may have been the home of a dryad. But I somehow doubt that this place is somehow more unlivable then before it died. Some of these people won't last a day on the road." Kasang was outside the inn, leaning up against his unmoving stone horse. He was speaking to himself but he wasn't taking pains to speak quietly.

OOC: Would this be the Samak road that the townspeople are taking?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Note: spell list changed accordingly for today.

Garulf, meanwhile, was standing in silent prayer in the large room of the house he had chosen. Prayer beads clinked softly as the priest moved them slowly between thumb and forefinger, Brother Horace praying nearby. Finally, Garulf's eyes snapped open, and he looked up.

"It is time."

His left hand moved close to his chest, the prayer beads still rustling softly through his fingers. His right hand he held out before himself, the Fist began to chant slowly and firmly, the tongue of angels ringing with the sound of strength mingled with the sensation of deep loss. For the next several minutes, his chanting remained firm, until he neared the end of the incantation. His chanting rose to a peak, his voice ringing out clearly like a sounding knell, and his chant swelled in volume and unearthly power. A great wind picked up within the house, whipping Garulf and Horace's robes about before it. A flash of light, the wind ceased... and standing before Garulf was a tall, dark skinned humanoid with glistening white wings and dark hair. It's eyes glowed softly white, and in its hands it gripped a greatmace.

Aeomon has heard your call, Garulf, son of none, member of the Gentle Fist. I am Aasiphan." Garulf did not meet the angel's gaze, but genuflected before him.

"I beg you, noble Aasiphan... there are many here who must travel to another village, for their guardian spirit has passed into Aeomon's grace... will you help me protect them?" As Garulf spoke, he stripped his bracers from his arms, holding them up reverently. The angel looked down at the Fist, sorrow etched across its divine features. Gently, Aasiphan laid his palm upon the bracers, and pushed them back to Garulf's chest, before placing a hand upon the Fist's shoulder.

"The servants of Aeomon know well of what transpired here, and so too do we know your intent, Garulf. You need not burden yourself for this cause; we will gladly help you." Garulf looked then into the angel's eyes, confusion and relief tinging his eyes.

"We?"

"Yes, Garulf, we; there is amongst my brethren many who would glady aid you in this dark hour, but I offer you the name of the only one whom has stood by my side in years long past," the angel paused, then took a step back from the Fist, "You may summon him by the name Melbion." Garulf smiled, his features the picture of gratitude.

"Thank you, my lord... I am truly honored by your aid, and forever in Aeomon's debt for such a blessing as this," with that, Garulf began to cycle through the prayer beads once again, resuming his chant from the beginning, as before. As Garulf chanted in the tongue of angels, Aasiphan joined in, and soon, a second angel stood before the Fist.

"Greetings, Garulf, of the Gentle Fist. I am Melbion..."

-----------

Nearly half an hour had passed, but still the town had not finished emptying, and Tassik had not seen nor heard from Garulf since the night prior. Garbing the two angels in cloaks, the Fist gathered his things, changing into his traveling garb, before assisting Horace with what meager possessions the older priest had. With that settled, Garulf paused on the street, gazing in the direction of the Tree, before heading for the gate in search of Tassik.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-05-05 at 10:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Duskblade: Sure.

MountainKing:
    Two astral devas sound good, and them knowing Shello and it's obvious hazards, they'll do it for the minimal cost of nothing. Feel free to edit your post to include them. Their names will be Aasiphan and Melbion and are direct servants of Aeomon.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-05 at 06:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Post edited.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Also, let's say either one or both of them has a greatmace, as it's Aeomon's favored weapon and they're proficient with it. If they have any corresponding feats for just heavy maces they can be easily switched out.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Matteo wakes at the base of the tree to the shouts and yells of the messengers, all relaying their warning to the masses. For an instant he wonders what he is doing there, but then the events of the past night hit him like a blow to the stomach.

Staggering upward, his limbs numb from the ground, he gathers all his equipment, rearming himself in his normal fashion. Watching the crowd, he slides up next to Kuusij.

What news, Brother?
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: Greatmaces are fine with me, as astral devas don't carry shields.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

"...I'm afraed the city's far too inhospitable now that the tree is gone... Now that thaere is nothing to keep the hope of the people thaere is only danger and death within these city walls." Kuusij guides a small family out of the gate, keeping them near another guard moving outside. "There is a treacheraoss journey ahaed of us now, but we hope to end this journey on Tanzen. I will, howevar... stay haere, on my homeland... but these few desarve a new life."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-05 at 10:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

As Garulf walked, he found that he could not quell the waves of awe rolling through him; he, just a simple priest, now walked with angels at his sides! For their parts, Aasiphan and Melbion remained quiet, with Horace following in their tread. As he neared the gate, Garulf spotted the shifter from the night before, and nearby was Tassik. Gesturing to Tassik, he spoke.

"There is the leader of these desperate souls. His name is Tassik, and I feel he deserves to know not to despair. For as long as may be, a higher grace protects us than our own."

"We will keep our nature hidden, Garulf, until times of great need..."

"Yes, and we will introduce ourselves to this Tassik, but do not stray too far, Garulf," Aasiphan chided quietly, "Aeomon does not beckon just yet." Garulf nodded as the angels walked over to Tassik, and for his own accord he approached the shifter he had helped bury the dryad.

"I hope the morning brings new hope to you, friend. I am Garulf, of the Order of the Gentle Fist. We did not actually speak, last eve, and I wish to offer myself, and what little I can do. If you have a need for a quiet ear, or healing hands, I will gladly assist you if I can."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: Move along, nothin' to see here.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-05 at 10:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Uh, Krimm, hate to be a whiner baby, but um, Garulf is talking to the other OTHER shifter; Matteo Swift, whom he doesn't actually know yet... the astral devas are introducing themselves to Tassik without him.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uh, Krimm, hate to be a whiner baby, but um, Garulf is talking to the other OTHER shifter; Matteo Swift, whom he doesn't actually know yet... the astral devas are introducing themselves to Tassik without him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

Oh.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-05 at 10:57 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

From above the inn a deep, almost angry sounding humming noise reaches the group in front of the building. The gaunt figure of Jerro appears. He takes a few moments to watch the gathering people on the town square before he spreads his wings to fly a big turn above the square and lands in front of the inn. Once he does not stand against the rising sun anymore it becomes visible that the right half of his face and some of his chest is covered in spots of a brownish red color.
    "Time to move on, I hear.", he says with his wolf-like grin.
    "What happened?" he asks after a short pause, his grin fading for a moment as he musters the others faces.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"The tree died." Said Kasang. Apparently there really was a dryad after all. Now that it's gone the priests of Aeomon are sending the townsfolk north up the Samak road."

"I am headed the same way, so I suppose I will be accompanying them." Said Kasang.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

It only brings the same old dissapointment that this is all not a nightmare.
    Looking out over the assembled innocents, Matteo feels the storm inside him grow.
    I will guard the rear of this column, atleast until these people leave. They will prove too tasty a target for the abominations that have stained this land.
    Turning to Kuusij, he smiles, shoing off his prominent teeth.
    And if they do attack, I can show you what I have learned since you saw me as a pup.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Kuusij smirks at Matteo with a sense of pride... giving both the shifters, aswell as Tassik a sense of something they all lost ages ago: A pack. Kuusij nods to Tassik and Tassik nods back in response, Kuusij turns again to Matteo and speaks, "This is whaere I take to thae crowd. I'll meet yah agaein at the end of the journaey." With that, the black-haired shifter walks among the people leaving the city, keeping on the outside of the mass to keep watch of them.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-06 at 11:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no where else to go anyway.", Jerro grins: "But cheer up, guarding these folk will be at least three persons easier than it would have been yesterday.", his grin widens, his black eyes glissening.
    "A little good news is still good news and a rising sun always means life goes on. For most of us... I will be with you, i can fly above and survey the scene. But now excuse me, I need to wash all this stuff of.", he points at the dark red stains over his skin before disappearing in the inn.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm looking for some water to wash myself with.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Annnnd cue the 'oomie? Yo Matteo, Garulf's talkin' to you.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Annnnd cue the 'oomie? Yo Matteo, Garulf's talkin' to you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I responded in an offhand way.

Turning to Garulf, Matteo speaks.
    I am a capable healer myelf, but I will keep your name in mind. People of our skills have great burdens in this time of strife, and when the load can be shared we must all do our part.
    He begins walking slowly, letting himself fall to the back of the caravan.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed... if you have need of me, I can be found amongst the people... perhaps near the middle of the column, from which I can respond to a threat in either direction. Have faith!" Garulf said softly, "There are amongst us servants of a higher power than we, and they stand on our side!"

With that, Garulf parted ways, and made for Tassik, with whom he only briefly exhanged "good mornings," before collecting Aasiphan and Melbion.

"Come; we will make our way amongst the people, and assist any that we may; from the middle of the column, we can perhaps assist better whatever direction needs our aid."

"I would stand at the front of the column, to better confront what evil lies ahead..."

"But we will remain at your side, Fist. You need only ask of us, and we will take to the skies." Garulf turned to Melbion as he pulled the hood of his cloak up.

"I pray that I need ask very little of you indeed, my friend... if anything at all."

Spoiler
    Show
    Moves amongst the civilians with Aasiphan and Melbion at his sides, positioning himself roughly in the middle of the column.