New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 3

Garulf adjusts his chausible and nods quietly.

"Then there is much to be done," he replied simply, "If you require rest, Brother, take it now... do not push yourself to a exhaustion. I will begin where you leave off." With that said, Garulf approached the nearest group of refugees, and inquires softly,

"Whom here would have the Gentle Lord oversee their final breath?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, he's not talking to people who don't seem particularly vibrant and healthy now...
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Many of the people sitting around people lying back and panting heavily. Their eyes full of sorrow and their faces pale due to lack of sun. There are many people who seem to need a final blessing.
    Horace Dusk sits down on a small pile of cushions to rest his elderly bones, "Perhaps... some of these innocent people would care to see a last glimpse of life on this desolate land, and have a venture to the tree."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"Shifter.." The word left his mouth like it would require thorough disinfection. Nontheless he led his stone horse away from the tree. Otherwise ignoring the guards.

"The werewolf and his foolish followers brought a force of undead to my home. I don't know how or why, but he did. He use to be a hero. But he had vanished when he first came to Shello. Kasang said.

"Once captured he revealed his beast form. He killed our guards, and the two of his followers that we had managed to capture. Aslong as Kaytlyn Sae. My Lords sister. I very nearly joined the dead when I first faced him." Kasang's voice wavered very slightly.

"Forgive me for asking. But what exactly are the two of you. I have never seen anyone of your like."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

The dark-skinned shifter gives a low growl to Kasang when he says his race with a bitter tone... but he remains nonviolent, still waiting around for everyone to leave the tree.
    A few minutes later he finally calls out after most of the commoners have left, "Oiy! Human! Do yaeh got sometin' agaenst shifters?" He bares his teeth a little like a dog.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

Kasang turns to face the shifter. "Yes." Kasang turned back to the others.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Jerro's wolfish smile vanishes, "A Harsh fate. For both of you. I would be glad to join you on your searches. To find these murderers and..." he reaches for his belt and produces a dagger with a lean blade shaped like a curved lightning, he plays with the weapon and lets it dance and tumble between his fingers while his smile came back and his black eyes seem to shine "... find out a little bit more about them."

He then turns to Kasang: "You would be surprised, but I haven't either. The elves of my home told me the blood of both elves and fey runs in my veins.", he puts his dagger away, "But they couldnt tell me what it is that made me into this...", he spreads his arms as if he would want to present himself but at the same time remains in his crouched position, his eyes now fixed on the ground, or maybe something somewhere deep beneath.

After a few moments of silence Jerro looks up at the shifter guard: "We sure aren't intending to disturb the lady of the tree. We will be gone soon. I think it would be advisable to continue your patrol."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using spell-like ability to cast Suggestion on the guard. Will DC 19
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-04-24 at 09:04 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Duskblade View Post

"Forgive me for asking. But what exactly are the two of you. I have never seen anyone of your like."
    The stranger c-ocks his eyebrow at the man. "Who, me?" he asks. "I'm just a man." he shrugs.

He extends his hand to the other man "Vauth." he says.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"A sound suggestion, good Horace. I will start with that," Garulf said quietly, turning then to the many, many people nearby. In a quiet, respectful tone, Garulf begins to stop at each cluster of people, offering the suggestion of Brother Horace.

"Good people, your hearts clearly wane in the face of what has happened to Shello... who would come with me, to visit the great Tree, and see that there is yet hope? Who would come, to bring themselves before a testament to life?" As Garulf walked through the people, he continued speaking in the same manner, urging the people he passed to rise and follow him, if they wished to see with their own eyes, hope itself. Should anyone need assistance in moving, Garulf will either kindly ask someone nearby if they wish to assist the person in need, or he will help them himself.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

The shifter gives a long, hard glare at Kasang when he responds to him and treats him with such disrespect. He hopes his rage will be quelled by what the strange fey has to say... but once he attempts to use the spell on him, with failure the guard gets mad...
    The hair on his arms seems to stand up and he bares his teeth, now speaking with a near-shout, somewhat similar to a bark, "You lot!" He raises his sword to Kasang and Jerro, "You leave right now! Unless You want me to gaet violant!"

--

Some of the people among Garulf raise their heads and begin to aid the sick out of bed, including an old man, a sickly looking teenaged girl and a little girl, looking to be only seven or eight years old.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-24 at 07:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"Kasang Majan. Said Kasang shaking the mans hand. Forgive me gentlemen but there is one small thing I must deal with. It shall only take a second."

Walking apart from Vaurth and Jerro, Kasang strode up to the guard who had raised his weapon. "I agree with the elf. You should go back to your rounds." Kasangs hands shot forward.

Disarm attempt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Opposed attack roll to disarm. -4 for using my hands.
    (1d20+14)[19] If Kasang wins he ends up with the sword staring the shifter down. This provokes an Aoo.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

The shifter moves his blade with the flick of a wrist, putting the handle far from your grip but dragging the jagged blade across your arm from elbow to palm. Kasang's blood drips down to the ground((14 damage)).
    "...Now be gone you lot... before I gaet mad." He turns his head and nods at another guard that passes by.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, friends, that is the spirit!" the priest said happily; he felt uncomfortable in this position of leadership... but the priest quelled his fears and nervousness with his joy at seeing the people around him beginning to rise. Pausing next to an elderly woman and her two sons, he noticed that their stretcher was broken; the woman would need to be carried. Smiling gently, he gestured to the young men, who nervously looked him over.

"Come, help those who are in need; to reward the spirit is to strengthen the body!" The older of the two young men looked at Garulf with confusion stamped on his face.

"Priest, we cannot move our mother... she is too weak to walk, and... our stretcher is broken." Garulf raised a hand then, cutting the young man off. Smiling his soft, sad smile, Garulf knelt down next to the woman.

"Aeomon wishes comfort and happiness to all beings who yet draw breath; will you permit me to carry you, matron, so that you too may visit the great Tree nearby?" The old woman stared at the younger man, eyes rheumy with age, yet somehow still gleaming with wisdom, the same wisdom etched throughout her elderly face through the lines of worry, and care, and joy. At last, she answered Garulf's question.

"I've not been called matron before in all my years, young priest... but you may carry me, and call me Grandmother, as many children have over the years." Garulf's smile broadened only a little, but with a slight bow of his head, he replied as he gently lifted the elderly woman off the ground, the great strength that his tall, wiry form disguised making the task easy.

"As you wish, Grandmother. We will go see the Tree together."

Spoiler
    Show
    Much the same, moving toward the tree, gathering a crowd of sick and dying people... kicking myself for not preparing things like Remove Disease and suchnot...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

The large man spits on the ground casually. It was a bad idea this Kasang had just had. Bringing a fist to a sword fight. When will some people learn. he thinks to himself.

The head of his axe rests on the ground and he leans against the handle casually.

"I'll stay here, thanks." he says, looking at the guard with his cold green eyes.

"I...recommend...you leave me to my business, unless you want to get friendly with that priest in town." he shrugs casually.

"I'm not disturbing anyone. Maybe you can find a barber on this god-forsaken island and get yourself a shave." he pulls a gold coin from his pouch, and flips it end-over-end toward the guard.

"My treat." he says cooly.

Spoiler
    Show

i totally forgot to mention what spell i carry around (most times) in my Spell Storing axe: Slashing Darkness
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-04-24 at 09:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

The cloaked figure of Matteo shifts soflt up beside the two men, now openly attempting to start something with one another. He turns to the Shifter, a hard look in his eyes.
    Leave him be, Brother. Some will never know the sacrifce we make by helping those who would see us dead, just for what we are.
    With this, Matteo brings up his hand and pulls down his sleeve, revealing a scarred brand seared across his palm. It shows a moon on one side, and as he twists his palm another brand shows a sun. The bright scars show easily as he continues to turn his hand back and forth a few more times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know what the DC Knowledge Whatever would be for the rest of you to know the symbol, but the brand shows a person as a Shifter who has accepted both their duty to others and their heritage as wild beings. Most got theirs when they signed up for the Shello militia back in the days when the living thought they had a chance.

Turning to the other man, he couldn't help but growl a little under his breath. He had dealt with the predjudice of others for so long, but it still disgusted him that with the dead ruling Shello the living could bicker over something as small as heritage.
    And if this comes to blows, blood is thicker than the need to survive. I'll show him not to mess with Pack.
    This man is simply doing his job. I will heal you of the wound he has given you if you agree to simply do as he asks. He simply aims to help these people, a goal I'm sure you can respect, no matter what we are.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2008-04-24 at 10:29 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

"Why you-!!" His temper seems to have been pushed a bit past a normal standard despite Matteo's intervention, you begin to notice fur growing longer and thicker and his nails and fangs lengthening and sharpening. The next instant there is a magical sounding snap, like twigs being broken and standing next to the black-haired shifter is yet another of his kin.
    This shifter seems far more benevolent, his only weapon being a wooden staff topped with a gourd tied to it, which is painted with russet paint. His skin is more fair, and his hair and short beard are both chocolate brown. He wears brown leather armor and some furs. His most stunning feature is his eyes, which are a piercing emerald. "Kuusij, please." He puts his hand on the other shifter's shoulder and he begins to calm some, though still looking irritated(though less animalistic). "I'm sure these people are under as much strain as you..." He looks up to the group with his piercing but gentle eyes, "But I am sorry, Kuusij is right. We wish to bring life back to Shello... and praying and meditation to this beautiful tree may be our only hope. I wish not to ask you to leave for selfish or pointless reasons, if you will please."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-24 at 10:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kuusij? Where have I...
    In a dawning of recollection, Matteo bows to a knee in front of the Shifter.
    Brother Blood Wolf. It has been almost a decade since the Gathering where I saw you. . . I was but a young one then, but I still honor the Moon and the Sun equally. I am glad you are alive, as our kind needs every Master of your strength that we can find. How has your Pack managed since the Fall? How many of us have survived? What is the state . . .
    Realizing who he is talking to, Matteo stops talking a bows even farther. It had never been in his nature to bow to a noble, and he certainly would never do so now that he was the Vengeance of the Storm, but he would bow to those he respected, and this man was like a legend and a unbeknownst father figure to him.
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Kuusij the Blood Wolf calms even more as he looks down at the bowing Matteo Swift. "No, no don't bow to me." He sheathes his bone-sword, "I am not a man you bow to, Matteo." Apparently having remembered the young shifter from ages ago... "And it seems the yaers have not been kind ta me... I am the last of my tribe I am afraed. The dead and the forged haeve taken them all from me, but I am glad enaagh to haeve come across Father Tassik." He gestures to the brown-haired shifter. "He has givan me haven, despite... my blood."

Moments after Kuusij finishes speaking, Garulf and a small group of weary and sick people come within range of the tree. The shifter now known as Father Tassik looks over and seems almost saddened. He turns to the party, "Perhaps... I will give you slightly more time to gaze upon the tree, and I am sure Matteo, Kuusij and I would be happy to join you." He puts his hands together and bows.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-24 at 11:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Kuusij the Blood Wolf calms even more as he looks down at the bowing Matteo Swift. "No, no don't bow to me." He sheathes his bone-sword, "I am not a man you bow to, Matteo." Apparently having remembered the young shifter from ages ago... "And it seems the yaers have not been kind ta me... I am the last of my tribe I am afraed. The dead and the forged haeve taken them all from me, but I am glad enaagh to haeve come across Father Tassik." He gestures to the brown-haired shifter. "He has givan me haven, despite... my blood."

Moments after Kuusij finishes speaking, Garulf and a small group of weary and sick people come within range of the tree. The shifter now known as Father Tassik looks over and seems almost saddened. He turns to the party, "Perhaps... I will give you slightly more time to gaze upon the tree, and I am sure Matteo, Kuusij and I would be happy to join you." He puts his hands together and bows.

A grim look comes over Matteo's features. He clenches his eyes tight as he feels the pain of his people in his heart.
    I, too, am the last of my Pack. The wretched undead have taken them, but I have lain them to rest and taken a toll from the Rotters that they will never forget.
    Turning to Father Tassik, Matteo bows once more, then stands.
    Tell me, Broth... Father. Of what faith are you? What do you pay homage too? Do you follow the Old Faith of our people?
    Though his heart is burdened by grief, Matteo is feeling happiness and togetherness her had almost forgot existed. For once, he did not feel the drive. The drive to strike, slash, and destroy his foes.

He had found his people again. He did not know how long he would remain at peace, but like a child's blanket he would cling to them. This momentary peace was like a soothing balm on his raging emotions.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Father Tassik smiles at Matteo, "I do, I am a follower of the great wolf, Canidor. He grants me the power of the life that once existed in these lands. What do you follow, good Matteo?" He pauses and smiles again, "And if you wish, you may call me Brother."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I still pay homage to the Wilds and to our Heritage, but I have promised my existance to another.
    The Storm was back within him. His rest over, he knew he should continue, yet he strived to stay.
    I have pledged myself to the Storm. The spirit of nature's wrath, primordial and powerful, flows within me, through me, and around me. I look foreword to the day I can give my life to the Wolf again, but until the undead are scoured from Shello, and possibly even beyond, I am the servant of thunder, the messenger of the lightning bolt.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

He still smiles, "Vengeance is the new heart of our people, though I choose not to seek out the dead to combat them. I simply wish to protect and propagate those who seek it. Kuusij has turned from Canidor with good reason, and now venerates Haakish the Carnivore." He turns to Kuusij still with gentle eyes and a smile, "A strong, brave god, Kuusij. I speak not ill of you or he. Now let us sit and commune with the tree..." He sits down before it and closes his eyes, his staff flat across his lap.
    Kuusij takes a deep breath and takes one last look at Kasang before sitting down and closing his eyes, meditating to himself and the tree next to Tassik.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-25 at 01:59 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Jerro carefully stands up. With a short glance at the meditating shifters he walks over to Kasang. Standing next to the man he speaks with a lowered voice: "A lesson many have yet to learn.", he watches the shifters carefully "It may sound strange but what you are is not always what you are. Just look at me, I'm living proof. I understand your distrust, where it roots from. They may be related to lycanthropes, but yet they have an own free will, they are intelligent creatures and their animalic side is so faint it cannot control them. Maybe if I had just came here I would have shared your reaction, and at least one of them would be watering that try with his very life juice right now...", his grin widens, "Humans and elves equally treated me like a monster I couldn't help but seeing them as two whole races of shallow xenophobes. But I too learned this lesson, I had to realize how shallow my own views were, not all of you are like that. The only thing you can say for sure about every sentient being, is that they can learn. Don't let your eyes judge a person. That's task of your mind alone."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

At this point Kasang was more confused then anything else. "I can't say I was expecting the whole commune with the tree thing." He said, looking at the shifters. "Fine then, I'll leave them in peace." Catching the stone horse by the bridle he led it away from the shifters. Kasang was not exactly unhappy with the prospect.

"Now that I am done making a fool out of myself. What brought you here." Kasang asks Jerro.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vauth smiles a wry smile. That was a good one. He thought to himself. He untied the wineskin he carried at his belt and took a long drink from it. Replacing the cap he hefted his axe onto his shoulder and then stepped toward the tree.

He looked it up and down, giving it a 'once over'. It didn't look like much. Kind of sickly. The leaves weren't a vibrant shade of healthy green. The bark wasn't as strong-looking as he had seen bark before.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure spells specify the target as a "living creature".

technically, trees (and animals, and fish, and insects, etc) are alive.

so could i perhaps cast a cure spell on the tree?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's more of the worldly matters. I'm just straying around looking to earn myself a living. And if I get to, cure some of the worlds ailments. Should it be purpose or fate that I am right here right now, then I wouldn't know which.", Jerro points in the direction of the town square, "I haven't had the chance to look around there yet but there might be an Inn of some sort where we can spend time without disturbing anyone.", he gives the meditating shifters a second glance.
    "You might like to join us for a drink later and maybe tell us more about this tree and the legends about it." he says to the werechildren, before turning to the town square again.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, unless Krimm wants to handle this part by himself, I suppose I can fly my own jet... >.>

As Garulf and a few dozen people rounded the bend, the great Tree came into view. Seeing that already there were some near it, Garulf spoke aloud.

"When we reach the Tree, we must pay our respects to those near us; we do not wish to intrude on their reflection." Several minutes later, the priest and the small crowd had reached the Tree, and many began easing their burdens to the ground, letting the sickly and weak sit or lay before the Tree, rather than stand. Garulf began to move amongst the people once more, pausing next to especially ill seeming persons, and attempting to discern what ails them, all the while praying aloud, partly to inspire those who didn't know how to pray, and partly to inspire those who didn't.

"Aeomon, Lord of the Gentle Passing, we have gathered here before a testament of Life, in a land seemingly without. We come, Gentle Lord, to pray in the presence of Life, and to rekindle the fire of hope in our hearts..." and so on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check for the next couple people he comes to:
    Heal check 1: (1d20+24)[36]
    Heal check 2: (1d20+24)[44]
    Heal check 3: (1d20+24)[29]
    Heal check 4: (1d20+24)[44]

Again, Garulf is trying to determine only what exactly ails individuals, he isn't trying to heal them just yet.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

For Garulf
    Spoiler
    Show
    You begin to realize that this is unlike any normal disease you've ever encountered. This is something that is grinding away at their soul and appears to be caused by the constant mist of this wretched land. The obvious symptoms they all share is pale skin, grey pockmarks, sunken eyes and a yellowing of the eyes and teeth.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"Fair enough." said Kasang to Jerro. In that case, I'll buy."Kasang looked back at the tree. "It would seem sickness is common here." He said gesturing at the arriving sick people accompanied by Garulf. If you would exuse me for a second." Kasang smilled. "I'll try to avoid further conflict."

Going wide of the shifters Kasang moved to lend a hand to the coming sick.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

After an hour or two of communing with the tree, Kuusij and Tassik open their eyes and blink a bit, then begin to stand up. Tassik walks among the sick with a gentle smile, comforting them and talking to them about the tree. Before long, an apparently human member of the watch comes by, "Tassik? Looks like you're letting a little more time 'round the tree, eh?"
    He smiles more "Yes, I think these sick few deserve a glimpse before the day is gone."
    "We might need 'em to leave soon, Tassik. If you lot want we can give you all free rooms at the Grey Boar. Tassik 'ere needs to talk to this vibrant ol' woman alone." The human guard gestures to the tree. "If'n you don't mind, that is."
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-04-26 at 06:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Garulf bowed his head, hands pressed together.

"Of course, my friend. We have spent some time here, praying and taking in the sight of this monument to Life. If you will give me but a few minutes, those who can assist me and I will return everyone who came with us to the town square..." Garulf turned to go, then paused. Turning back, he turned his gentle gaze on the shifter who had been identified as Tassik, his expression perhaps a little sad.

"Good Tassik, if I may call you that... my name is Garulf. If you could please seek me out when you have taken the time you need, I wish to speak with you about these people... and more importantly, about what might be done for them. You will find me amongst them, and their kin, doing the work of the Gentle Hand." With that, Garulf bowed at the waist, and returned to the people who had come with him.

"Friends, please, it is time for us to return to the square. If those who are able could once again assist those who are not, we will make the trip as short as possible. Once we have arrived, I will have to part company from you, for there are many who did not come with us," Garulf knelt next to Grandmother, silently asking her permission to lift her once again, and receiving a nod in return, to which he gently lifted the elderly woman once more. In silence, he lead the procession back to the square, ensuring that Grandmother was comfortable before seeking out Horace.