New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Wastes of Shello - Group 3

Vauth woke up with a slight headache. He hadn't intended to drink quite that much...but...whatever.

He heard one of the guardsmen out on the street yelling something about leaving.

He gathered up the things he had brought in with him and made his way down to his secured wagon.

Removing the chain and stowing it away, he untethered the two horses and mounted his warhorse.

He slowly made his way to where the tree, now dead, stood.

[I]That's what you get for chasing fairy tales.[/I] he thought to himself.

Seeing no reason to not follow along with the crowd of people leaving, Vauth saw the man called Kasang and pulled his horse up behind him.

"Care for a ride?" he asks, indicating the empty seat on his cart.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    When everyone gets on the road, I'll need you all to make Listen checks.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Garulf's Listen check: (1d20+6)[22]
    Aasiphan's Listen check: (1d20+23)[29]
    Melbion's Listen check: (1d20+23)[39]

I've got Aasiphan and Melbion's Listen checks here, because I'm not sure if you want me to handle the dice rolls for them, or if you want to be responsible for them. If it's the former, then we're set, the latter, then we can safely ignore my delirium.
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-05-09 at 01:34 AM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, whoops. Forgot one thing, also need everyone to make an immediate Spot check.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

"I appreciate it. But I'll ride." Said Kasang. Taping the rock horse behind him. "Zaphyr." He said aloud and mounted the horse as it came to life.

"I might ride ahead of the townspeople. If only to explain to myself why I haven't donated this horse as building materials. If there is any dangers ahead either I'll come back to the group or I'll send this your way. If you see it trouble ahead." So saying Kasang drew a statue of a silver raven from his pack. With a word the statue came to life. It cawed once then tried to fly away. Another word and the raven fell to the ground a foot away. "I hate magic." Said an annoyed Kasang as he retrieved the statue.

"Good luck friend Vaurth. I'll see you soon. And next time we find an Inn it's your turn to pay." Kasang set off at a fast trot. Carefully ignoring the shifters at the gate he starts off along the road.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+5)[25] That looks like it'll pick something up.
    Last edited by The Duskblade; 2008-05-09 at 02:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: What about the Spot check? That's the one you need more immediately.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm afraid your post ninjad mine didn't see it. Spot: (1d20+8)[27] Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice
    Last edited by The Duskblade; 2008-05-09 at 03:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You lucky bastard. I'll wait until everyone gets their checks in before I post what Kasang has seen and heard...

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+10)[28]

Listen (1d20+8)[15]
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-05-09 at 06:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+10)[28]
    Listen - (1d20+16)[26]

Vauth nods to the man. "Quite the interesting assortment of...friends...you have there." he chuckled. "I'll be sure to look for your bird. Hopefully you won't be sending it." he adds.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ummm... you're not saying yes or no, soooo...
    Garulf's Spot check: (1d20+6)[22]
    Aasiphan's Spot check: (1d20+23)[27]
    Melbion's Spot check: (1d20+23)[36]

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot and listen, same modifier, so two rolls, in that order. (1d20+6)[11] and (1d20+6)[22]
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

For everyone but purepolarpanzer, sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all seem to catch something out of the corners of your respective eyes. Something dark in the grey mist, something... horrible. It looks like a bird, but so very different. It's body looks like that of a large raven, but the shine of it's feathers are dulled and appear to have soot on them. This is where the similarities of the raven and this particular bird end. It's head, instead of the normal head of a raven is replaced with that of an embalmed goat's skull with razored teeth and two glowing pinpoints of sickly green. It stares down over the area a few times before noticing you looking at it and instantly takes flight, and disappears into the mist.

--

You set out onto the road, it's cold and the fog is as usual, a constant companion on this journey. The citizens all seem weary, and all the officials under Tassik's command do their best to encourage and energize them. Many of the recently dead from the town are taken along in carriages pulled by horses, some having insisted they get proper burials on better land where they won't be dug up and animated.
    During the night before camp is set up and the guard is set up, you begin to hear strange noises during the noises. Noises you can't... seem to pinpoint. Organic clicking, chittering and ruffling... it seems to be too far away to see what it is, but whatever it is, it's something you've never heard before.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-09 at 11:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did you see that?"

"Yes... it had an unpleasant look." Garulf's brow furrowed with worry; the angels quietly informed the Fist of what they had seen.

"Melbion... go to Tassik, bearing word of what you have seen... we are being watched."

-----

As evening fell, Garulf became even more uneasy as his companions brought word to him that strange sounds were echoing in the mists... something distant, yet near enough to inspire worry. Again, the Fist sent Melbion to Tassik, to ensure that the leader knew of the danger at hand, whilst remaining extra vigilant with Aasiphan at his side.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

Kasang had rejoined with Vaurth and was leaning against Vaurth's wagon. After siting the bird Kasang carefully removed his Falchion and leaned it against the wagon where he could grab it at a moments notice.

"Did you see that bird? Careful friend Vaurth. We might be in for some trouble." Said Kasang. Speaking quietly.

-----

Kasang will stay near Vaurth's wagon for the moment. He'll keep an eye out for any other strange occurrences.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Jerro hearing the strange noises, flies higher trying to get a view of the source. After going as high as he is able to he decides to fly aheady of the column still trying to find the source of noise.

Spoiler
    Show
    After gaining maximum altitude:
    Spot check (1d20+10)[13]
    Search check (1d20+13)[16]

After flying ahead, say a good 650 feet:
    Spot check (1d20+10)[11]
    Search check (1d20+13)[26]

I have both low-light and darkvision (60')

woohoo 3, 3, 1, 13, I'm so impressed...
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2008-05-10 at 04:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

For Jerro only
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you fly forward a bit, you begin to hear a strange, unnatural humming. You can't see it anywhere and can seem to detect it coming from somewhere above you, but as high as you fly and in whatever direction you can't seem to find the source.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Jerro draws his dagger and turns flying back to the column. He lands next to Garulf.
    "I'm not sure if we should go on in this direction. I don't like these noises. They are just getting more intense ahead. I don't think it is a good sign."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

A young man a few feet behind speaks up when he hears Jerro, "But where would we go? This is a strait line to our next location!" The young man wears a grey tunic, black leggings and a black vest with brown boots. His hair dark brown and his eyes a light blue. In his belt he holds a rapier.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Jerro turns to the boy: "The shortest path isn't always the easiest... or safest. Aren't there other routes? What about trade routes?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

"No," Garulf said calmly, "I have sworn to Tassik that I would do everything in my power to bring these people to their next location. My companions here have come as our boon and our grace; they will aid us without question," Garulf immediately began walking toward the front of the column, sorrow etched across his features.

"Aasiphan, Melbion; it would seem that I spoke too soon. Unveil yourselves, friends, and go with the fey," he looked at Jerro, "I know not your name, but you travel with us, and heed the signs of danger to these people. That is good, and it is enough for me," as the Fist spoke, Aasiphan and Melbion shed their cloaks, handing them to Brother Horace, revealing themselves to those around for the first time. With a nod, they spread their wings in concert, and took to the air, waiting for Jerro to join them, whilst keeping their eyes and ears open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot and Listen checks for Aasiphan and Melbion (the modifier's the same):
    Aasiphan -
    (1d20+23)[35]
    (1d20+23)[40]
    Melbion -
    (1d20+23)[39]
    (1d20+23)[39]

"I will go to the front of the column," the Fist said resolutely, before turning his gaze to the tunic wearing young man, "Go to the rear of the column, and seek out the shifter priest there. You will know him on sight; he bears great sorrow on his shoulders, but even greater anger in his heart." With that, Garulf made haste, gently pushing and weaving his way through the people.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Many of the people in the mass gasp as the watch the two celestials take flight, some seem to take hope in this sign and others mutter in distrust of the potential trickery.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

"I hope the next location from here won't be as close to the nine hells as I am expecting it to be right now..." Jerro says silently to Garulf. He then spreads his wings: "The name is Jerro."
    Jerro takes off and joins the celestials: "Let's go see what remains of the day."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

"And Garulf is mine, noble Jerro," responds the Fist, before returning to his fast paced movement through the crowd of civilians.

As Jerro joins up with the angels, they nod to him as he speaks.

"By Aeomon's grace, we will see ourselves back to gentle Garulf's side," intoned Aasiphan.

"But let us pray that his Order has taught him well, Aasiphan; The Gentle Fist may not require the first part of its name this day!" cried Melbion, "Try to keep up, Jerro! We have need of haste!" The excitement in the deva's voice is clear; if evil was afoot, then battle would be joined.

"You have already scouted the skies ahead; we will follow your lead," Aasiphan said, at which the other angel frowned a little, but said nothing. Together, the angels dipped their wings to Garulf before taking off after the fey.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

Seeing the two Angelic figures rise into the sky with Jerro, Kasang utters one word.
    "Huh?" After a few seconds, he added. "This is exactly why I don't like it when strangers hide themselves under their cloaks." Noting the priest whose side the winged strangers had just left, Kasang retrieved his weapon and approached him.

"An odd sight in these lands, I must say. Would it be appropriate to assume that they are here because of you?"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"Assumptions are precarious things, friend," Garulf says quickly, not halting in his advance to the front of the column, "They are here for us all, for the servants of Aeomon are well aware of our plight, and are more than glad to aid us," a few moments later, the priest weaved ahead of the last few villagers, and turned briefly to his newest acquaintance.

"My name is Garulf... and if by my life or death these people may be delivered, then so I have sworn to give." As he finishes speaking, the Fist gives the man a sad smile before turning to look ahead, eyes and ears straining.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once at the head of the column, Garulf would like a new Listen/Spot check if that's alright.

Listen check: (1d20+6)[7]
    Spot check: (1d20+6)[7]
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-05-11 at 03:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you say Critical fail? Jeez. Garulf sees mist and hears mist.

For Jerro and the Angels(Garulf) ONLY
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Let's keep this little venture into the mist in spoilers, since no one else can see it anyway.

You fly through the mist, and with a bit more aid from the two celestials you manage to track through the air with much more accuracy... When you find what has been making the humming noise, it's hard to believe. A black air-ship, covered in angular, black-iron plating and a ring of air about the back keeping it up and making the humming noise. No lights are apparently on and you can't seem to see anyone on deck.

The same man from before watches the celestials take flight. "By the gods! Could such things really exist in such lands?" He stares at them disappearing into the fog with sheer amazement.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-11 at 08:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kasang

So pretty much a yes. Thought Kasang. Deciding the rest of the answer was the priest being a priest. Noting the awed man Kasang said too Garulf.

"For future reference it might have been for the best if you had asked them to move away before taking flight. our Fae friend Jerro is one thing. Those two are another."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DM and Devas ONLY
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I haven't seen this before..."
    While approaching the airship Jerro readies his dagger.
    "I propose we see what is on board of that ship so we know it poses a threat or not. In case of an attack we can just retreat off the ship." he says to the Devas, Though in that case I wouldn't mind slitting one throat or another. he thinks with a grin.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vauth nods at Kasang in agreement.

"Kasang is right. You're...friends...have perhaps done more harm than good." he scowls slightly.

"I don't know what that creature was, but I didn't like the looks of it much either." he adds.