New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default And then a Meteor fell out of the sky.

It was just another day at the Sigil Prep school of Arcane Learning and "Practical Kingdom Support" (By which the school meant, shirking any Kingly required duties it could) for Rayman Evilwizardington (the Comedy Relief) when he heard a soft whisper in his ear, "Boss, Some lady showed up and walked right into your room. I can't get-"

After hearing the message, Rayman decided to cut across the courtyard he normally avoided, the combat field. Over a thousand square yards, it sat right in the middle of the university and forced long walks for those not capable of instantaneous travel and not willing to brave it's accidental dangers.

But today he was being railroaded by the DM.

He was about a third of the way across when **** hit the fan. A big demon with a sword of fire and a whip appeared right in front of him, bleeding from several wounds.

Roll Initative you two. Oh, and Knowledge checks to identify the Balor.

(1d20+11)[27]
    (1d20+9)[21]

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: And then a Meteor fell out of the sky.

Why are my rolls not working?

[roll0]
    [roll1]

Stupid forum:

I used my own dice.
    Init 25 and 21 are important. Try not to do anything to final before then ay?
    Last edited by Chosen_of_Vecna; 2008-04-21 at 01:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Initiative:(1d20+5)[20]

K the Planes:(1d20+6)[22]

Hi, my name is Rayman. I'm here to help. You are in the wrong place, by which I mean you are directly in front of me, impeding my way to my chambers, wherein waits a lady for me. Please take a 5 foot step to the right. Thank you, and have a nice day. There will be a cleric somewhere on the combat field to service your wounds.

4. - Top - End - #4

Well I have some bad news. You are about to be caught in my Death Throes. But afterward, could you do me a favor and keep track of my Sword? It's more important then your life.

Suddenly a glowing Angel appears nearby. The Balor, who had been shifting around looking in every direction, swings his sword, biting into the Angel.

Knowledge the Planes for the Solar. And DC 27 Spellcraft for the Appearing.

Go Solo and "others" if present.
    Last edited by Chosen_of_Vecna; 2008-04-21 at 01:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

K planes (1d20+6)[26]

Hold on! You can't fight here! This is the combat field!

Rayman waves his arms and tries to stop the impending conflict. He wondered what spells he could cast that were not nasty and deadly, as he had no intention of harming an Angel, and didn't want to try and kill a pissed off looking demon, but then it struck him: How could he be out of options when he had a Rod of Wonder with him?

He pointed it at the ground beneath the two and activated the item.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-21 at 01:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

As Rayman activates his Rod, nothing at all happens.

The Angel on the other hand responds to the Demon's attack. Releasing a barrage of blows, and finishing with a Bang as the Demon explodes, killing the Solar and many of those surrounding the fight.

The people present for the fight should know roll Reflex saves, DC 30 for 50 damage. 100 Otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Well.... thanks Rod.

Rayman uses Wings of Cover to grant him a +2 to reflex saves as an Immediate action, then uses another immediate action to use Ruin Delver's Fortune, giving him a total of +10 to his reflex saves and the evasion ability.

Ref. save: (1d20+20)[25]

Never mind, you can't do that. I'll just cast RDF.

Hm. Stupid exploding demons.... can I get a healer over here?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-21 at 07:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

No one comes to Rayman's call. Apparently everyone is very much busy with the dead. Those that aren't leaving in panic.

Where the Demon was, there is now a simple, but very shiny sword.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I did not get tenure just to be ignored like this, he grumbles as he makes his way over to the sword.

Well, looks like I'm supposed to take care of this puppy. Pity I'd probably cut my own hand off with it if I tried to use it though....

Cast Detect Magic on it. If you wish, you can roll the spellcraft for me to speed up the process.

10. - Top - End - #10

You detect a strong aura of whatever a +1 Vorpal Sword shows. You know, the kind every boring not special Balor has. You don't know this of course, because you have crappy Knowledge The Planes rolls.

Within a couple rounds. Another Solar appears. She looks around. and sighs at the destruction. She begins pulling out giant handfuls of Diamond Dust and razing the dead, who may or may not include a party member who has not posted yet.

Afterwards if uninterrupted (Unlikely, Rayman is a talkative fellow), she casts a Sending and reports back to someone.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

((*thumb twiddle*))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    You detect a strong aura of whatever a +1 Vorpal Sword shows. You know, the kind every boring not special Balor has. You don't know this of course, because you have crappy Knowledge The Planes rolls.

Within a couple rounds. Another Solar appears. She looks around. and sighs at the destruction. She begins pulling out giant handfuls of Diamond Dust and razing the dead, who may or may not include a party member who has not posted yet.

Afterwards if uninterrupted (Unlikely, Rayman is a talkative fellow), she casts a Sending and reports back to someone.

Excuse me, excuse me... but would you happen to know what the hell that was about?

Also, if I may beseech you a favor... when you're done bringing the dead back to life, could you toss a healing spell my way? My eyebrows are conspicuously absent after that fireworks display just now.

13. - Top - End - #13

Yes, my talents exist solely to solve your problems human. As for what it is about, I have no authority to tell you that.

He then heals you and reports to someone before teleporting away.

It is not here. I doubt he could have taken it back with him, I will explore his other known locations.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Well... Thanks.

He wonders briefly what the Solar was talking about before turning ot the students on the field to inspect them.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-21 at 05:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Bad Solo. It doesn't do any good to try to speed thing up when half the people haven't posted. None of those people are there, except the Warmage which may or may not have died, not that it matters because it was True Res used to raise everyone.

Seriously, It's been almost a say, everyone should have checked in.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

((Well it's not like you're making it simple to know where we are and what we're supposed to be doing- if we're allowed to be doing anything, that is.))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

A man in simple brown robes and sandals, with a small pack on his back, and a walking staff in one hand, approaches calmly from down the path. His body seems heavily weathered and scarred, making him seem almost haggard. Still, he walks with an easy step, as if the road was a friend to him.

I take it this is the demonstration area for my dissertation on Nature's Magic and You? I must say, it seems the Headmaster has something of a flair for the dramatic; I saw the blast from a half mile away.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I take it you where there when he had bears with lasers perform at the football game.

However, as much as it is in his character, that was not a school sponsored event, but more in line with the death throes of a demon as it attempted to kill an angel, resulting in the destruction of the field and my eyebrows.

Here, get on with you're dissertation. I'll remove the sword
    Rayman said, pulling the weapon out of the ground, And probably will have to start investigating what the hell just happened. Good luck.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-21 at 06:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Oh, no, the dissertation's not until tomorrow, I believe. I figured his schedule must have been too busy tomorrow to provide an area.

Still, if this wasn't intentional... Plant Growth!

(Keeping comfortable paths on all routes that look well travelled, that should completely cover any area of the Balor's destruction. Of course, any routes through this part of the courtyard that aren't travelled will become very heavily overgrown. Eh, nice scenery, and something for the groundskeepers to prune. Diameter of effect: 693.3 yards, or a good chunk of courtyard. Exclude any areas that travel out of the balor's explosion area.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serena

"Bloody Hell...Okay, was doing okay there, sorta, right up until the great gigantic explosion up and killed me and...Ugh." Says a previously dead but now raised Elf. Standing up and dusting herself off, she looks around at the sudden crowd that stands in the previous battle ground. Though quite short and slim, she wears full battle armor with a longsword strapped to her back. Her silver hair is cut in a military short style and she seems to be a no nonsense type.

"Oye, what are you fellows doing here, thought I had these training grounds booked for a good while...How long was I dead there?"
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Glances over at the new arrival momentarily, before returning his attention to the inspection of his new garden maze.

Don't ask me, I just got here. From the looks of the singed clothing, I'd wager he might have a better idea than I. If it was the explosion that got you, then no more than a couple minutes.

I'm sure it's safe to continue whatever it is you were training on... Combat training? Hm.

Turns attention back to the first character.

So, whereabouts can a fellow go for a bit of peace and quiet, away from the shockwaves?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I go to the coffee shop myself. Then I'm going to get a Diviner to analyze the heck of the sword the demon left behind. Come along if you wish.

Rayman turns to the elf and curtsies.

And you are, of course, also invited. You could probably use a bit of a break after getting blown up by a dying demon-thingy.

Off we go to the Divination department of the school!
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-22 at 12:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Once you get to the Large Lead Cylinder that makes up the Divination housing (Paranoid? Maybe.) you are greeted by the standard flunky, dressed in simple white robes.

She smiles and informs you that she can place you on the schedule, but that it will probably be a few days. At which point someone leaves the Cylinder while being yelled at by some guy inside.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

If you're the gorram Divination department, how come you didn't know I was going get blown up, come here to talk to someone, and make me a reservation in advance?

Turning sharply from the receptionist, he goes to the figure storming out of the Cylinder.

Excuse me, you there! Are you a Diviner, or able to cast Divination spells?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-22 at 01:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

You forget. They know if they handle all such requests with such efficiency, they'll be swamped with work. I'm sure they foresaw it, actually. I like to think of such things as "strategic incompetence".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC: *cough* clearly a choose a taken text color

Serena

"Diviners wish they were that competent. Honestly, I wouldn't put too much trust in them." The elf says, combing a hand through her hair to get rid of bits of ash and small debris. Then pointing to the departing party, "There for example, if a diviner were all-knowing they would've avoided such an argument, or been able to twist it too their purpose. They may get a little warning about what's coming but sometimes they hardly know what to do with it."
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

((I'm going to assume that someone is me...))

Chora
    Spoiler
    Show

Chora moves out of the cylinder with a rather serene and untroubled demeanor, despite the person yelling back at her. She looks over at Rayman as she hears his words to the woman, and then to her.
    I am a diviner, yes.
    She doesn't really seem to register any of the harsh words of the others, instead just giving a small smile to them.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Hara-drim

*Glances at Serena*
    A wise course. Never put your trust in anything that's smart enough to speak. And didn't I tell you? Cunning ones, diviners are. First, the ones in the tower feign ignorance to keep their workload light, and then this one waits to speak until we've all inserted our feet firmly in our mouths.

*Turns to Chora*
    Good day, miss. I trust your argument in the tower wasn't related to something I'm going to do.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-04-22 at 08:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

We'll see, won't we, Hara?

Anyways, miss, we are currently in need of someone to diviniate the heck out of this sword an exploding demon left behind when he vaporized part of the campus because the paperwork I'm going to have to fill out will probably require it.

I don't suppose you could help us?
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-22 at 11:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Chora shakes her head at Hara, and then looks extremely interested in what Rayman asks.
    That's something I can do fairly easily.
    She pulls a pair of gloves out of a small pouch on her side and slips them on, then holds out her hand for the sword.
    Lets try the simple thing first. What exactly do you want to know about him? I can learn quite a few things just from examining the sword... though it'll take about ten minutes.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-04-22 at 12:36 PM.