New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: And then a Meteor fell out of the sky.

The demon? Big with wings. Red with horns. Teleported nto my way, then fought an angel who teleported in chasing after him, lost the battle, exploded, nearly killed me, and told me to keep a hold of his sword. Not necessarily in that order.

Rayman hands her the sword, showing off his non-proficiency in the weapon by nearly stabbing himself in the foot with it.

In the interest of expediency, you don't suppose we could cast Identify on it, followed by more powerful spells that would tell me why I was told to keep hold of this by the demon? I don't think demons have sentimental value for ordinary weapons, so I suspect there's something going on here...
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-22 at 12:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I can do all of that fairly easily- it'll just take a bit of time... is there anywhere quiet we can go?
    It seems she's not exactly familiar with the area.
    She takes the sword with a bit more ease than Rayman, but she clearly would have a hard time fighting with it as well. She weighs the sword in her hand, begin to activate the power of her gloves quietly.

OOC Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (The Planes) Check: 1d20+19=21
    Hopefully she can identify it as being a balor, and possibly even their favored weaponry.

Just in case it could be handy, she'll do a Loremaster Lore check to see if she can recall anything about Balors and important swords:
    1d20+15=23

She has Gloves of Object Reading (as seen in the SRD here. She'll use those to start figuring out the last owner.

If they find a good place, she'll use her Greater Lore ability (from Loremaster) to cast Identify on it.

Edit: Hmm. Rolls didn't work. I'll use invisible castle.
    Edit 2: Wow, let the bad rolls begin.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-04-22 at 01:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

We can go to my room if you would like a quiet place to discuss matters. It's only a few buildings over. Rayman suggests.

You're all invited too, but don't expect anything fancy.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serena

"Hmmm, shame it's so large, it would easily replace this old thing I have." She says, giving a slight nod of approval to the blade, Though her own sword seems absolutely pristine, as though never used, and a spell component pouch hangs from the belt of her armor.
    Looking around at the others that she's somehow found herself with as they walk towards a quieter place to look up stuff about the sword. "Thank you for the invite. I have to confess I'm very new to this place. I am Serena Cap...No, Just Serena Thiersch." She says to the others.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Hara-drim

Ah, yes, I forgot. Names. Mine's Hara-drim. I've never spent the time a Surname generally entails, so I usually just go by Hara, Hey you, or bumbling oaf. Use whatever you find most convenient.

As for the offer, I must confess this intrigues me. The sword, the fireball, a missive of import from a creature of evil... I never can remember which ones are the orderly ones and which are the random ones. No matter, most likely. It's certainly on the safer side of the topsoil.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

And I'm Rayman Evilwizardington, instructor in the Applied Magic department, which means basically I take people on field trips so they can go kill things and solve problems with magic.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Chora nods to Rayman's suggestion.
    That would be fine. I'm Chora- I'm not actually associated with this place, I was just trying to get some information out of the diviners, but um, apparently they were insulted...
    She looks down at the sword and raises an eyebrow, apparently impressed.
    This is fairly magical. Has an enchantment to let it slice heads very easily. Rather gory, but effective, I'd assume.
    Apparently Chora isn't too pleased with the idea of combat and death, so she swiftly changes topics.
    And it already registers you as an owner... very odd. Normally you actually have to put an item to use before that occurs- but you didn't do that, did you?
    The last phrase is part educated guess, part uneasy question.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

I nearly offed myself with it. Does that count?

Rayman comments jokingly.

So, any guesses on why I'm supposed to be in charge of the thing?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

That part could be any number of things. A dying wish, a horrible curse, freely given and willingly taken. Magic is a funny thing, at times. Sometimes you use it. Sometimes it uses you. As for the specifics, I gather that the expert in finding answers would invariably be better at narrowing things down than I.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-04-22 at 03:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

... Why do I feel like I am about to be screwed over by fate?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

My best guess? Divination has its ways for getting back at the world for giving it less followers?

Either that or you had a conversation with a demon from the pits of the hells, moments before it exploded?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

...there is one thing I know of that would explain why the demon would give away his sword.
    Chora looks down at the sword very curiously and cautiously.
    The more powerful demon lords don't just have their sword as a weapon, but as a piece of their soul. Given that the sword registers the demon as its creator... it is possible that it is part of his soul.
    As such, one might assume that the demon knew its battle was lost, and looked for someone to keep its weapon safe.

She gently holds it back out to Rayman and raises an eyebrow, waiting for his reaction.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Hm. But why would he entrust his soul to some random stranger?

Rayman stores the sword in his Haversack again. Seems kinda risky, given my propensity to Disintegrate objects, demons, and objects that belong to demons.

K. Arcana as to how to identify if the sword has a soul in it or not.
    (1d20+21)[31]

Well, let's talk about it over tea, he suggests, opening the door to his apartment and showing you all the couch.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Now, does anyone have something along the lines of Contact other Plane we could use?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: On that thought, a knowledge arcana from Chora for the same reason is probably a good idea.
    (1d20+31)[50]

I have that spell, actually.
    The look in Chora's eyes says that she's cast it more than once, and she knows full well the consequences of reaching too far when using it.

OOC: Though it suddenly comes to mind that I never listed down my typical prepared spells for the day... luckily it won't be an issue here since Chora has spontaneous divination

16. - Top - End - #46

You know the same thing I told Solo, which is that if you want to find out something about the sword, use a Divination where you ask someone who would conceivably know: (IE Divination/Commune/Contact Other Plane/ect.)

OOC: Don't we all have Spontaneous Divination though? I mean, at least those of us smart enough to be Wizards instead of Sorcerers.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

As you sit down on the couch a butterfly comes zipping out of the kitchen with a little elven child chasing it. The child seems completely oblivious to you and then does a back flip and hangs upside down looking at you.

"Oh company. Rayman, you should have told me they were coming so I could make cookies."

Cindy frowns at Raymond and then notices the sword.
    "Nice sword. Where did you get it?
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2008-04-22 at 06:52 PM.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Why the... who the... how the... what are you and what are you doing here? And how do you know my first name?

Rayman paused before paling slightly.

Don't tell me I got some girl pregnant on one of the Material Planes I visited and that you're my daughter who is also a magical prodigy? he asked, knowing full well how cliches tended to come true in his life.

19. - Top - End - #49

"Oh silly man. We had this conversation when dad dropped me off a week ago. Did you go and get drunk? Or whacked with a spell and forget?"

With that Cindy spun around so she was right side up and floated up until her head was level with everyone else while sitting cross legged in the air.

"So whats with the sword?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Hmm.... Well I did just have a demon explode next to me and it nearly killed me... that probably doesn't help my memory...

Rayman scratches his chin, pondering what else he might be forgetting.

Oh, and the exploding demon told me to take care of his sword shortly before he exploded. We think he might have a sliver of his soul in it.

21. - Top - End - #51

"Demons are no fun, they don't take jokes well and don't like flowers. An exploding demon that left behind a magic sword. Sounds like a Balor. So what do you plan on doing with the sword?"

While speaking Cindy flies closer to Rayman and peers at him intently, apparently to make sure that the exploding demon didn't do any permanent, physical damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+29)[42]

I should identify a Balor on a natural 1.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serena

"No tea thanks, coffee if you have." Serena says, taking a seat on the couch, and then being somewhat amused as a child essentially enters into the department and seems to be getting the better of a conversation with a teacher of the academy.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

Hara-drim

...Cookies?

The bemused expression on Hara's face speaks volumes, but he seems to have a healthy respect for the child that's more familiar than he, on arcane subjects. Not incredibly surprising, giving the locale. Slightly surprising, considering she seems to have been here a week, and balor lore was the books she's been reading.

Oh, and Rayman... Just because the demon was random to you, does not mean you were random to it. I've long since learned to not be surprised at the staggering about of trivia about the world we live in that falls into the hands of those creatures that are not of it.

24. - Top - End - #54

Since Rayman seems lost in thought Cindy turns to the rest and says "I'm Cindy. Who are all of you and what do you have to do with this incident? As for coffee, 1 second."

Cindy mutters a few words and waves a hand then concentrates on a cup of tea. The cup lifts up and floats over to Serena.

"There you go, let me know if it gets cold or you want it flavored differently."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cindy casts Prestidigitation and changes the flavor of the cup of tea to that of coffee and then floats it over to Serena
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2008-04-22 at 10:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Direct. I like that. What do I have to do with it? Hm, nothing, I suppose. I came upon the blast a bit too late to help the injured, and just in time to follow Rayman on a guided tour. I must say though, haven't seen anything quite so...interesting, in a while.

OOC: Was that Polymorph Any Object on a cup of tea!? Faster than you can say, "Abuse of arcane power for convenience..." lol.
    Last edited by Talic; 2008-04-22 at 10:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Oh, and Rayman... Just because the demon was random to you, does not mean you were random to it. I've long since learned to not be surprised at the staggering about of trivia about the world we live in that falls into the hands of those creatures that are not of it.
    But that just makes it less likely it'd choose me... I usually hate demons... unless this is some sort of ridiculously circuitous plan... which it usually is when it comes to Outsiders....

Rayman retreats into the refuge of confused silence, placing the sword on his coffee table and waiting respectfully for the Loremistress to cast her spell.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-04-22 at 10:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

So, what's your life story again, Cindy? Rayman asks. And did I ever tell you mine?

28. - Top - End - #58

"Life story? I was born 6 years ago, my dad raised me and I have no idea who my mom is. About a year ago Dad got tired of raising and teaching me so he used one of his more powerful spells to give me most of his knowledge and experience. Dad went off adventuring a week ago and left me with you. He said you were a descendant of and old friend of his and that it would be a good experience to spend some time with you. He dropped me off, told you to look after me, and left."

Cindy's tone seemed to indicate that she was a bit miffed at her father but she shrugged and continued. "So whats your life story?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

Ah... that helps.

Well, let's see... for me... I was a sorcerer from the moment I was born, born to a sorcerer father and a wizard mother.

I started adventuring when I was 15 years old and I took part in the establishment of a "world order", an alliance of sorts amongst most of the nations of the world I was from, dedicated to upholding the law and justice.

The Order got it's power from the nations that joined it, so... it was too dependent on it's constituency for power. What did it matter to them if a member nation was harsh and cruel on its citizens if that nation would help seal away some long forgotten god of dark and terrible power?

So I resigned, told them to go engage in intimate bodily functions with themselves and several relatives, and started to do my own thing, helping out the little guy.

The higher ups didn't take it too well, and I eventually had to planeshift out of there cause of all the hit squads on my back - after causing the more unpleasant members of the alliance a good amount of grief and leaving behind several rebel groups.

I spend a year wandering the planes before ending up in Sigal, decided I could stand some schooling at the college, and eventually wound up employed by the college to help students kick ass and take names in the real world.

For some reason, the worlds I take my students to seem to expereince an upsurge int eh amount of sorcerers and rebellions shortly after I arrive. By pure coincidence, I'm sure.

30. - Top - End - #60

"Oh, that sounds like fun. I've only had 1 hit squad sent after me. Something about the High Priest of Wee Jas not liking spending life as a fluffy pink bunny. I thought she was a bit too vain and could use a lesson in humility, besides I wanted a fluffy pink bunny for a pet. She apparently disagreed."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win