New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: 104 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 94

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Dumb question.

Why does everyone assume that the relationship between Jillian and Wanda was sexual to begin with? It seems to me looking back at the past strips that the 'going too far' with the control may have been the (suggested) intimacy at the point when she released Jillian.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecial View Post

Dumb question.

Why does everyone assume that the relationship between Jillian and Wanda was sexual to begin with? It seems to me looking back at the past strips that the 'going too far' with the control may have been the (suggested) intimacy at the point when she released Jillian.
    It's not a dumb question at all -- the exact nature of the relationship is left somewhat open to interpretation, and in any case the emotional aspect seems rather more significant that whatever physical intimacy they may or may not have shared.

Looking back at the conversation:

"I don't like to be controlled."
    "You do."
    ""No. Not that way. You went too far."

and also looking back to the scene where Jaclyn confronted Jillian about being under Wanda's control:

"I... like it."

The most straightforward interpretation IMO is that Wanda dominating her (certainly in an emotional sense, and possibly in a BDSM sexual sense) was something that satisfied her needs and desires, but the suggestion spell "went too far".
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-04-23 at 05:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I may have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that Parson knows that Wanda is up and about now. He doesn't even know the incoming group is there to parlay, he thinks they're there to scout and report back what hits them.

So it seems that she recovered by herself, and is acting for herself at the moment.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

biggrin Re: 104 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 94

Quote Originally Posted by Krelon View Post
    nice.

The outfit Wanda is wearing looks to me like a classic necromancer battle robe. She is back and no doubt highly motivated to do something really evil. Ansom beware.
    Yes and she has Skeletor's Staff. By the power of Grey Skull!!!!! LOL!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecial View Post

Dumb question.

I kinda saw that as a goodbye kiss ^_^ we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Besides Jill and Wanda, only one soul had an inkling, but, sadly.... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0039.html

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beren One-Hand View Post
    I may have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate that Parson knows that Wanda is up and about now. He doesn't even know the incoming group is there to parlay, he thinks they're there to scout and report back what hits them.

So it seems that she recovered by herself, and is acting for herself at the moment.
    Here is why I think Wanda recovered on her own.
    Here, Maggie says she has done what she can for Wanda, and that she doesn't think Wanda will recover this turn. In all likeliness, this is happening on GKs turn. Here (on the same turn) we learn that Maggie is nearly spent. Clearly after Stanley's call (however he did it), she is spent. So she could not do anything more for Wanda that turn. Then it's the coalition turn, and suddenly Wanda is up and about. Thus Maggie could not have caused her to recover. I would say that the combination of what Maggie was able to do, plus the fact that she knew (or at least suspected) that she could talk to Jillian (from the horn tooting), she snapped out of her catatonic state.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    But I'm doing so by explaining that it's not just because someone told her to show up in battle gear. This is the new Wanda.
    I had reasoned that Wanda was wearing a cloak simply so she could wear something (a hood) that covered up her face enough so that people wouldn't notice the bags under her eyes.

Wanda's fairly fabulous--likes the tight gear and the high hair and the leather. I kinda see the hood as more of a hiding thing than a becoming more badass thing.

But we shall see.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

LGBTitP

Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

well, if you can (tbd) fix the foolamancer by just calling him by his name, sure wanda can recover to, some extent, herself to talk to Jillian
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
    I had reasoned that Wanda was wearing a cloak simply so she could wear something (a hood) that covered up her face enough so that people wouldn't notice the bags under her eyes.

Wanda's fairly fabulous--likes the tight gear and the high hair and the leather. I kinda see the hood as more of a hiding thing than a becoming more badass thing.

But we shall see.
    Could be. Her hair looks uncharacteristically disheveled as well.

More than a few people have hidden behind the 'badass thing', including Jillian.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

I missed Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
    I had the same impression. I'm having some trouble with the front and back views. The back view suggests a fairly broad cape, that should be seen in the front view (nice leg shot).
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

11. - Top - End - #101
    Firbolg in the Playground

samuel jackson has a new movie

awesome on a screen
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

It's called the Havok Staff, and if Wanda's is anything like my man Skeletor's, those Alliance are in for a serious hurting.
    360lb RTS/wargamer. Fantasy world of his own construction. Perfect Warlord summoning. One day...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    If Wanda sends the Tool a Thinkagram, might that violate his "I don't want to see you" demand and cause him to disband her before finding out what she's calling about?
    She's allowed to violate an order in order to protect him. And he really wants to get the foolmancer fixed, so I do not see this as a problem.

I think Stanley has a bit more potential
    Me too. And if he had no potential, why bother wasting several strips on his part of the tale after leaving Gobwin Knob? At the very least, there seems to be a bit more backstory left to tell in addition to the confrontation.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Oh c'mon, it would totally be great storytelling to have Jillian come back in a few strips or so and do her thing, then someone ask, "What happened to Stanley," and Jillian could say "Oh, I killed him."
    Totally awesome. Right?

Oh, also, this was mentioned earlier, but Parson probably doesn't know Wanda's up yet. Could be a dozen reasons for that.

And I imagine the casters can do more than simply cast spells on their own turn. It'd be like Master of Magic; anyone ever play that? You could have heroes that could cast spells, or throw fireballs and such at enemies as an attack. I bet even Sizemore could conjure up and throw dirtballs at enemies. Or rocks. Or boulders. That'd be a fairly useful anti-air methinks. If it was worth risking the caster.
    Gentlemen! Behold! CORN!!!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Hard to know why Bogroll thinks it's a good idea. Even if the casters could cast, what exactly would they do? Sizemore can't have much against flying units, and Wanda was last seen catatonic. Perhaps Maggie could confuse the fliers or something (if she weren't exhausted), but that seems doubtful at range against so large a group.
    You're forgetting:

When a chief warlord wants something done, they have to give orders. There's two ways to give orders that we've seen: Via magic (through casters, usually), or via warlords, down the chain of command. While it hasn't been made specifically clear whether orders can be relayed via thinkamancy outside of your turn, it seems quite likely (since we've seen that the books, the link, and so forth all work to relay orders.)

Parson's warlords are also casters. Hence, either way, 'fetch a caster'. It's unclear if Maggie has recovered enough to communciate, but she's the obvious one to fetch if Parson wants to give orders to anyone; Sizemore seems to command at least a few golems capable of throwing large rocks, although whether that counts as ranged combat is anyone's guess.

It's unlikely casters can do too much in combat, since Parson notes that using them as warlords is unusual (while if they were Master of Magic-style caster heroes, it would be an obvious strategy.) It could be that casters are just too valuable for that, though. More likely there's a division between "field" magic (like veiling) and combat magic.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    I'm still wondering why Parson doesn't just stomp the boop out of Jillian's group. "Save our air defenses" indeed... Jillian's group contains herself, Vinnie, the Archons, lots of scouting units - the loss of which would severely hurt Ansem's forces. If he lets them go now, they'll only return later to attack in force with the main body of Ansem's aerial troops. I'd sacrifice the archers to remove at least one or more of the enemy's commanders - especially pivotal ones like Jillian or Vinnie.
    Aside from the other responses, Parson also answers this when he muses "could be recon by fire". He's concerned they're intentionally willing to take a hit to find out about his troop deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    Shoot them down, Parson! PEW PEW PEW!
    Oh man, you didn't tell me Parson had lasers. I changed my mind. Smoke 'em, Parson!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    Could be. Her hair looks uncharacteristically disheveled as well.

More than a few people have hidden behind the 'badass thing', including Jillian.
    Looking back at the exchange, Wanda's speech (what little there is of it, as if each syllable is a great effort) seems as strong-willed as ever -- first, she is either asking Jillian for an explanation or interjecting an opinion that Jillian has come to explain herself; second, she flat-out denies what Jillian just said.

Jillian's side of the conversation is more interesting. For the first two frames, she dithers a bit before coming to the point... however, after she does get there and Wanda rejects her statement, she quite firmly restates her position (clarifying, yes, but not retreating).

A definite shift in the character dynamic, but acknowledging that the old status quo would still have its effects.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

by the way she sounded she might not be fully recovered but its good to see that parson will have more help when she recovers

Evil is as Evil does
    werewolves are cool!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7