New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default 104 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 94

...Wow. Wanda seems lucid enough. Let's see what a Croakmancer can do beyond creating undead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 104 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 94

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    ...Wow. Wanda seems lucid enough. Let's see what a Croakmancer can do beyond creating undead.
    Well....we know she has a Headache spell...
    Thank you, Devil's Advocate for sending me this link so I can finally erase my old signature!

https://forums.giantitp.com/profile....=editsignature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

*Chants.* Cat fight! Cat fight! *Hoots and hollers!* With a "Darth Sidious" look, at that. :-p

In other news, the owl going "O HAI" amused me as only 3AM humor can.

Edit: They actually DO have air defenses? Nice. Hopefully not just Gobwins with arrows.
    Last edited by BarGamer; 2008-04-22 at 02:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wanda looks pissed; hell hath no fury indeed.

Oh, and "o hai" cracked me up.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Mwahahaha! Bar, thank you for mentioning the owl. I missed it, and it totally made my night!

Great comic, I shall salivate for the next one
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    I don't join groups i just play with myself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    "Hell hath no fury...", indeed.

You can bet Wanda's capable of a trick or two.... and we're about to see 'em.
    Last edited by Bucket; 2008-04-22 at 02:15 AM.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure..."

Wherever you go... there you are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

must have missed that meme, is it some variation of the o rly?

Can't wait for this showdown

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

You could say she is going to bring down a world of pain, except she might not be in the mood to reward her :)
    Last edited by Dark Wolf; 2008-04-22 at 02:31 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Remnants of party from previous DM's campaign appeared in a ruined castle along with new players after they stopped a ritual that went wrong. They were just in time to stop another ritual.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

As much as I'd like to see some dramatic posturing and cool spells, I really don't want to spend the next month watching one battle.

I didn't understand Parson's comment 'again.' Is this some between-comic action that isn't significant enough to get drawn? Have to say, Parson's looking pretty stupid right about now. He's played his mind games, but now he's just hiding in his base waiting for the enemy to make a mistake. It's sort of weak, but that doesn't mean I dislike it. I'm glad that's he's not a MarySue.

As far as I know 'O Hai' is just an intentional misspelling, and misappropriation of enthusiasm. I can't actually tell you whether it is primarily used ironically or sincerely. I remember when intentionally typing 'lol' branded you as a slobbering 6-year old AOLer, and forever severed you from the mercy of humanity. Those 6 year olds are now adults, and don't seem to have any particular problems with it.
    Last edited by Zeku; 2008-04-22 at 02:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. The dwagon killing force has been diverted.

If Gobwin Knob's air defences, combined with Wanda, can weaken them....

This is the second mistake of the coilition. More will follow.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeku View Post
    As far as I know 'O Hai' is just an intentional misspelling, and misappropriation of enthusiasm. I can't actually tell you whether it is primarily used ironically or sincerely. I remember when intentionally typing 'lol' branded you as a slobbering 6-year old AOLer, and forever severed you from the mercy of humanity. Those 6 year olds are now adults, and don't seem to have any particular problems with it.
    O HAI is part of the LOLCATS meme, which hypothesizes that cats have a grasp of English grammar about on par with said AOLers. Google for lolcats, "I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGER", etc.

This strip (and those to follow shortly) seems to be about showing that Wanda is no longer catatonic about her lover breaking free of her quasi-consensual control, and is now reacting to it as a betrayal. Tying up that particular loose end, and possibly resolving/ending the relationship for good.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't this look sort of, er, bad for Jillian? I mean, she's diverted the entire attack to have a friendly conversation with an enemy caster. Well, not-so-friendly, but still, a conversation that she definitely shouldn't be having. Vinnie was slightly suspicious of her already, but this should be setting off alarm bells all over the place.

Heh. The dwagon killing force has been diverted.

If Gobwin Knob's air defences, combined with Wanda, can weaken them....

This is the second mistake of the coilition. More will follow.
    Why would Parson want to waste units fighting them if he has any alternative? The dwagons have at least a chance of standing up for themselves, and the city will need absolutely everything it has for the upcoming assault. A fight against the dwagon-killing force would be very very bad for Parson, not a good thing at all, since the diversion of those forces to kill Stanley is one of his few advantages (although it isn't clear if he knows it yet -- there's no reason why he would.)

I don't know about you, but I'm rooting for Parson, not Stanley.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe it's just 'cause my roommates were watching it recently, but on this page Wanda seemed to be channeling Bernadette Peter's witch from Into the Woods, particularly her scene in the first act in which she confronts Rapunzel about the prince.

Probably not intentional, but still.
    What\'s the CR on a religion?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wanda regaining consciousness wasn't important enough to show onscreen?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Doesn't this look sort of, er, bad for Jillian? I mean, she's diverted the entire attack to have a friendly conversation with an enemy caster. Well, not-so-friendly, but still, a conversation that she definitely shouldn't be having. Vinnie was slightly suspicious of her already, but this should be setting off alarm bells all over the place.
    It's possible, of course. But even if it does arouse his suspicions, Vinnie strikes me as far too cagey to do much more about them at this stage than wait and watch. The Archons would have a different notion about it, knowing more about the involved spell, but would they have told either Ansom or Vinnie? Uncertain. They would have reported it all to Charlie, yes, but then again, Charlie might have decided to quietly sit on the knowledge until some moment he could use it to advantage turned up...

Why would Parson want to waste units fighting them if he has any alternative? The dwagons have at least a chance of standing up for themselves, and the city will need absolutely everything it has for the upcoming assault. A fight against the dwagon-killing force would be very very bad for Parson, not a good thing at all, since the diversion of those forces to kill Stanley is one of his few advantages (although it isn't clear if he knows it yet -- there's no reason why he would.)
    I agree without reservations. I also have my own idea of why Parson is so certain it isn't the main attack. If it was, it would be accompanied by some sort of major ground assault. Unaccompanied aerial assaults do not sieges end. Too, saving the archers makes perfect sense in that they might also be used against ground units later, and would do less well against them if already weakened by a fight that could have been avoided. Also, this is not the entire aerial force of the alliance, but merely its fastest units; Ansom is keeping his slow units back for later. And there is nothing to indicate that slow necessarily equates to weak.

Wanda's expression of betrayal fascinates me. She truly believes she did nothing wrong. This is not uncommon for abusive relationships, of course, but it will give Wanda an altogether different sort of motivation from now on. As an aside, I do not think Wanda will try to hurt Jillian now. Ansom, on the other hand... I suspect that Wanda will be expending a great deal of all her inventive cruelty on him if she gets the chance to.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I Dunno. I think Wanda is going to get over it. She doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. Going through rough times myself in my relationship. I'd say she's in a stressful spot at the momment, to be sure, but even given half a second to think she will realize that it's more important to forgive and let it go.

If she fights with her, instead of forgiving her now, what else will she have? Uncroaking units, forever? It's important to remember that in BDSM the Sub is always in control. This is a universal truth. If it is any other way, it is not a healthy relationship. Of course it's all pretend that the Dom is, the whole time.. but ultimately the sub determins the extent of the relationship, as seen in this comic. Wanda overstepped herself. She forgot that truth and when Jillian reminded her of it, it was like shattering a facade.. ;p I hear that can be painful.

But yeah. Theres only two choices. Forgiveness, or not forgiveness. The first would involve growing up, accepting some responsibility, and would ultimately lead to her being... happier? The second would only end in tears. D:<

I am wearing my heart on my sleeve for this one. Forgiveness, ho! :O

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

It seems there should have been a page 93-bis. The transition is a bit abrupt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

dressed up like Skeletor?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmerridew View Post
    Wanda regaining consciousness wasn't important enough to show onscreen?
    It was. But having her appearing unannounced and with a look of "I'm back from hell, and you will regret it", is awesome. I really appreciate the pathos of her return, with a hint of surprise.

And it's the first time I feel pity for Jullian. Poor, poor child no one ever wanted, other that a megalomaniac fool that is clearly in love with his own reflection. You are crawling with anger under your skin, aren't you? Go swing your big sword, it's not like you are trying to fill the void of your life with sheer violence. Geeez...

Laurentio "I'll call Wanda Mistress, if she call me Prisoner"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

That skull Wanda is carrying has ears. Kinda creepy.

oIC now. I had to zoom in but what looks like ears is just another turn of the horns.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2008-04-22 at 04:44 AM.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by katana2665 View Post
    Yep along with that she is beyond pissed off, however the other point the hesitation of Jillan still shows there is "something" there.

Parson took the right approach since none of his units were "attacked" he quickly surmised this was a parlay sortie, thus handled it as such.

And this does not "use up" any more move other than well I am taking a pit stop to have a cup of tea with the enemy caster while moving on to my main target.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

nice.

The outfit Wanda is wearing looks to me like a classic necromancer battle robe. She is back and no doubt highly motivated to do something really evil. Ansom beware.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

O HAI Wanda.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Wanda looks pissed; hell hath no fury indeed.
    "The very hard way", indeed....

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    It's possible, of course. But even if it does arouse his suspicions, Vinnie strikes me as far too cagey to do much more about them at this stage than wait and watch. The Archons would have a different notion about it, knowing more about the involved spell, but would they have told either Ansom or Vinnie? Uncertain. They would have reported it all to Charlie, yes, but then again, Charlie might have decided to quietly sit on the knowledge until some moment he could use it to advantage turned up...
    While it's hard to be sure from the views we get, I don't see the Archon glow around anything on-panel. They might have been ordered to hang back from this sortie, for just such a reason. (If so, that raises the question of why Vinny wasn't split off as well -- perhaps Jillian realized that it would be too suspicious.)
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-04-22 at 04:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Ah Lady Firebaugh has risen from the catatonia, woe to the coalition and her former friends therein!

If she survives a possible catfight (or if that catfight does not happen), the "uncroack the enemy's casualties"-tactic many people mentioned finally becomes available to Parson.

And if the two ladies start a duel, we will see how much power Wanda actually has... might she end Jillian with a mere thought or will she be sliced in half by that oversized broadsword her former sex-slave carries?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Ironbrow View Post
    If she survives a possible catfight (or if that catfight does not happen), the "uncroack the enemy's casualties"-tactic many people mentioned finally becomes available to Parson.
    Before or after the "No one knows if it's possible to uncroak enemy's casualties" discussion?

Anyway, now we know for sure that a wizard is a designed Leader. Wanda is in the same hex of an enemy stack, and is not compelled to attack.
    Well, actually she is, but for different reasons.

Laurentio

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by katana2665 View Post
    And carrying Skeletor's staff.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Something tells me that Wanda's still not at 100% yet...she may of had enough presence of mind to come up and see, but she very well could be about to fall over. The long whyyyy kinda says that to me, but she could be trying to fire up her Drama Power.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can the commander afford to waste Move dealing with personal relationships when she has to reach FAQ first?
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
    Something tells me that Wanda's still not at 100% yet...she may of had enough presence of mind to come up and see, but she very well could be about to fall over. The long whyyyy kinda says that to me, but she could be trying to fire up her Drama Power.
    I'm thinking something like Princess Bride... She's about to keel over, but now is not the time to show weakness.

I suspect if anything, Wanda will take out her frustration with Jillian on others, but can't do much of anything now.