New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Other Side

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Other Side

Gormato

As he goes deeper into the tunnel, Gormato feels the earth shake. He looks up and realizes that pieces of the ceiling start feeling. Really sharp pieces of the ceiling. "This can not be good," Gormato mutters as he starts dodging the stalagtites.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex (1d20+7)[20]
    Reflex (1d20+7)[10]
    Reflex (1d20+7)[9]
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rol

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex1 - (1d20+7)[11]
    Reflex2 - (1d20+7)[11]
    Reflex3 - (1d20+7)[19]

I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Sherrik makes his way to the corpse and jumps out of the way right as the ceiling begins to give way. A few pieces of rubble hit him, but not enough to do any real damage. As he snatches up the cloak and necklace, he hears the load crack of stone cracking bone.
    He looks up to see Rol's body hit with a barage of stalagtites. You see his bones begin to bend and 2 ribs shatter under the force.
    You both turn to look at the rest of the party as you see Gormato being beaten by the stones then disapearing into the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gormato 13 damage
    Rol 20 damage
    Sherrik 0 damage
    Check the OOC thread after yo post please.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Sherrik

The necromancer shakes his head and heads back to unbury Gormato. When Sherrik has Gormato and Rol close enough to him, he'll perform some quick healing.

Spoiler
    Show

Negative Energy Burst (1st of 2 daily uses) NegEnergy - (8d4)[19]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

As you go over to dig out Gormato you see that he isnt burried under the rocks. You see him crawling his way through a small tunnel out f this collapsing cave. A smell unlike the one inside here is comming from the tunnel. There is no smell of death, and you can feel a warm breeze come in.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gormato

Feeling the increase of strength from a sudden source of healing, Gormato turns and sees his companions trying to remove the rubble that partially blocked his tunnel. "Thank you for giving a quick way out and more strength, but you do not need to worry. I think I found something here."

Gormato then turns and goes deeper into the tunnel. He continues looking for anything unusual. Why is there no smell of death here? The sand lavianthon's stench should be everywhere within his lair. Something is not right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check (1d20+3)[20]
    Listen check (1d20+14)[23]
    Survival with scent (1d20+14)[30]

If Gormato finds anything of interest,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he heads back to his companions and reports his findings.

If Gormato finds nothing of interest,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he calls to his companions, "Come down here and help me try to figure what is wrong with this section. It should not be this way."
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gormato

After going deeper into the tunnel, Gormato sees a pile of treasure near an underground river. Seeing someone trying to take some of the gold, he gets angry and he appears more animalistic. He then gets as close to the female before launching his assault. He bounds into the air right next to her only to come crashing down on top of her a moment later. A resounding roar is let out when Gormato leaps to the air.
    Spoiler
    Show

Swift action - switch to Blood in the Water stance. Each critical hit grants a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls
    Move action - get adjacent to the female. Move Silently (1d20+4)[22]
    Standard action - Death from Above Maneuver. If I succeed a DC 20 Jump check, 4d6 bonus damage to this attack and the female is flat footed to my attack. If I fail the check, I can still attack but no bonus damage.
    Jump - (1d20+18)[21]
    Attack (claw) - (1d20+16)[23]
    Confirm critical (1d20+16)[34]
    Damage - (1d6+7)[10], (1d8+3)[7], (4d6)[19]
    Critical damage - (1d6+7)[8]
    Paralysis - Must succeed a DC 20 Fort save or be paralyzed for (1d4+1)[3]; Elves are immune.

8. - Top - End - #38

Sherrik

So much for negotiation... Sherrik closes in enough to try to get a good look at Gormato's victim.

Spoiler
    Show

Let me know what, if anything, I need to roll. I'm trying to get some sense for who/what this female is, and what her general health condition is.

As for the sheet editing... it looks like I was halfway between ECL 9 and ECL 10 -- I made a couple of minor changes to get all the benefits of the 9th class level. The biggest difference is that I have an extra 9000 GP to spend at some point for WBL.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Your claws go deep into the womans flesh, catching a weak spot in her armor. She goes down to one knee before pushing you back 10 ft into the river.

Who in Tem-Et-Nu's name are you?!

The woman draws the two kamas at her side.

May the gods protect me this day, I was not here to fight. But if its a fight you want!

Shes looks up and meets your eyes.

It's a fight you'll regret.

The woman's attacks are a blur to you and you're not quite sure just how many times you were hit. You can tell by the searing of your flesh, this woman is a holy warrior.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gormato, you take 49 damage.

As you can see, the woman won initiative.

Order is:
    Woman
    Sherrik
    Rol
    Gormato

Also, Duke I'm not allowed access to your character sheet, you rolled so high I didnt need to check it, but I still need it.
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-05-20 at 04:04 PM.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

10. - Top - End - #40

Sherrik

Okay, so not so easy pickings. He lets loose a blast of magic at the holy warrior.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Chill of the Grave, RangedTouch - (1d20+7)[9], Damage - (3d10)[10]

Edit: Well, BOOP. As for the sheet, follow the link from the PbP Profile in my signature, I try to keep it up to date.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-05-20 at 05:01 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rol the Spiteful

Despite Rol's mild empathy toward the righteous warrior, he reacts mechanically like he was always trained to do. A low gurgle can be heard from what might be Rol's bony throat as his weight shifts forward and he lurches. His feet click on the stone as he gains speed toward his target.

Halfway there, one of his legs springs his body into the air while his other settles in front of him, delivering an airbourne kick.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

This attack is complicated.

Rol charges to attack the opponent that just attacked Gormato. Three feats are in use here.

Power Attack 2

Leap Attack- If Rol jumps during a charge and covers more than 10 feet, the extra damage delivered by Power Attack doubles.

Flying Kick- Any successful unarmed attack on a charge deals an extra 1d12 damage.

In the case of this charge attack, the +2 and Power Attack cancel each other out, so the attack simply does an extra 4 damage, plus 1d12.

Attack- (1d20+9)[29]

Damage- (1d10+3)[11] + (1d12)[9] + 4

Jump Check- the DC to cover 10ft is 10. As per Rol's Jump modifier, he needs to roll anything but a 1 to succeed. If he fails, change the +4 dmg to +2. (1d20+11)[15]

Rol's AC is 16 until his next turn.
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Critical hit rolls (if we're accepting that unarmed attacks can roll crits. c'mon, it's a flying kick! lol)

Spoiler
    Show

Crit confirmation:
    (1d20+9)[10]

If confirmed, 2x to the 1d10+3 damage only.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gormato

Rising from the water, Gormato looks like he has been through a grinder. But his eyes are now different. Any sense or reason that they held is now gone to give way to a more feral nature. With a roar that shakes the Rol's bones, Gormato releases his counterattack with more fury than a wolverine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Under the affects of Berserker Strength. Those the ability to use maneuvers and stances. New stats under this affect are as follows:
    Str 28, Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +8, DR 2/-, AC 21
    Full Attack Action
    Attack rolls = Claw 1 - (1d20+17)[26]; Claw 2 - (1d20+17)[27]; Bite - (1d20+17)[21]
    Confirm criticals = Claw 1 - (1d20+17)[28]; Claw 2 - (1d20+17)[28]; Bite - (1d20+17)[26]
    Damage = Claw 1 - (1d6+9)[14], (1d8+3)[7]; Claw 2 - (1d6+9)[12], (1d8+3)[10]; Bite - (1d6+9)[15], (1d8+3)[4]
    Critical damage = Claw 1 - (1d6+9)[12]; Claw 2 - (1d6+9)[11]; Bite - (1d6+9)[14]
    Paralysis - Must roll 3 Fortitude DC 20 or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. If it fails one save, the others are ignored.
    Ghoul Fever - If it should survive this encounter, in 1 day it must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or contract ghoul fever. This deals 1d3 Con and Dex damage. If that causes it to die, then it will rise as a ghoul or ghast the next night.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Paralysis duration - (1d4+1)[2]
    Ghoul fever only affects it if my bite hits.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

The woman falls to the ground after the beating she recieves. After floating for about ten feet appearing to be dead, she arises and mutters...

May the lord of rivers watch over me this day, and guide me to safety.

The rivers banks then begin to overflow and a surge of water appears and washes her away, along with Gormato and Rol. The water pushes you down a ten feet by ten feet tunnel now filled to the top with water. You can't seem to get your barings as you are flailing about. You see the woman swim swiftly down the tunnel, unless you can correct you self, she is as good as gone.

Sherrik- You watch your two companions get swept away as the room you are in slowly begins to fill with water. In a mere six seconds the water is knee high and beginning to wash some of the treasure down the tunnel where your allies now are. The blasting water is still appearing out of thin air. You are able to walk around the source and get to the treasure if you wish, or you could try to brave the tunnel like your comrades.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

16. - Top - End - #46

Sherrik

The necromancer takes a quick glance at the direction his companions were swept off to, and then hastens over to the treasure, scanning it quickly for any magical traces.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting detect magic to identify any magical items. He will attempt to grab those and anything else that looks valuable (taking as little time as possible), shoving it into his Handy Haversack before swimming off after his comrades.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gormato

A huge evil grin appears on his face as Gormato watches the woman float away. However, that quickly fades when she rights herself and does her prayer. Seeing the water coming right at him, "Oh sh" but the water forces him under before he finishes his statement. Still bloody but enraged from the battle, Gormato tries to right himself and follow the woman. She will pay for that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim check (1d20+9)[24]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

swim check - (1d20+3)[18]

Rol really only cares to take care of himself at this point. He will not chase after the adversary if he is in danger.

19. - Top - End - #49

* pokes game thread with a pointy stick *

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Check the OOC thread for an update about this game.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Sherrik- You look over at the treasure trying to sense any magic, but to no avail. There is only mounds of gold and a few swords made out of valuable metals with gems embedded in them. The water is now waste deept, if you want to salvage any of these good, you know you have only moments left.

Gormato- You finaly steady yourself in the water by momentarily bracing yourself on the wall. You are now facing forward moving very quickly. You see the woman is getting further and further out of reach as she begins glowing briefly.

Rol- You try to brace yourself on the wall as you saw Gormato do, and it helps, but you are still spinning in circles. You are in no danger at the moment since you have no need for fresh air, but if you ever wish to get out of this, you know you have to steady yourself.

Gormato & Rol- After a few more seconds of being pushed downstream you begin to see light. You can tell this is an artificial light, not the sun. The woman seems to fly out of the water ahead of you and disapears. The tunnel continues past the light, you have one chance of getting out of here, and this is it.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

22. - Top - End - #52

Sherrik

Sherrik quickly stows a few of the jeweled weapons in his magical haversack, casts a spell, and sets off after his comrades.

Spoiler
    Show

Let me know how much Sherrik could reasonably take in the time remaining. Casts freedom of movement, and starts heading in the direction that the others went (double moves).

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota