New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Special Unit- The Mean Streets of London: Chapter 1

Quote Originally Posted by Voshkod View Post
    "Get up," Tattershall said flatly to O'Reilly. He cuffed his hands tightly behind him. "Just in case, sweetie," he said to the attorney. "In case he's a flight risk. We'll get you his new contact info when he's settled in prison."

Tattershall shoved O'Reilly out into the hallway. "Let's go, my son," he said, pushing him along just a little faster then O'Reilly's feet could handle. Humiliation, fear, anger, and despair. Those are my weapons now, Ian thought with a bit of savage joy.

When they got to the charging desk, he pushed the plumber down in the chair and attached the cuffs to it. "All right, Mr. O'Reilly here should be run up on murder, conspiracy to murder, illegal possession of a firearm, attempted murder of an officer of the law, assault on same. We think he's a danger and a flight risk, and we ask he be remanded to maximum security. During transfer, we ask that he remain shackled and that he be given a bullet-proof vest. As we think there is a chance that someone may attempt to kill him, we ask he be put in solitare."

He leaned forward, right next to O'Reillly's ear, and whispered, "This is really it, my son. This is your very last chance to talk."
    O'Reilly continued to look straight ahead.

"Sieg Heil", he said bluntly.

The custody officer, Inspector Mark Roland, pulled out the charge sheet.

"David O'Reilly, you are charged that on 14 July 2008, you did murder Jomo Smith at Barking Station, contrary to common law. You were also involved in a conspiracy to murder that same person, with Edward Barker, now deceased. On a date previous, you were in possession of a handgun, contrary to the Firearms Act 1968, as subsequently amended by the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997..."

O'Reilly said nothing as the charges were read out.

"You will be remanded in custody until your appearance before a magistrate at 10 am tomorrow morning. You may apply for bail, but this is not guaranteed

Do you wish to say anything?"

O'Reilly said one word.

"No".

At that point, Tattershall's mobile rang.

"Iain, it's DC Hannah Fox from November", the caller said. She was a member of Special Unit November, the dedicated night unit for Special Unit.

She continued,
    "We just had a call from Tower Hamlets. Some guy just got stabbed to death on Brick Lane, E1".
    ----
    The cellphone yielded a variety of calls from O'Reilly, but no-one else. The cell phone appeared to be have been bought two weeks ago.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Wait one, Fox," Tattershall said over the phone.

He turned to the Roland. "I want to be in on the prisoner transport, all right? Let me know when you're ready to move him, and make sure we get some armor on him first."

"Fox," he said, stepping out of O'Reilly's earshot, "so you got a murder. Lucky you. You all need some help running it to ground? Or is it linked to today's special, a lovely little murder-suicide?"

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

20:13
    Cramer rang Gainsbourg again.
    "Hello, Luc, this is Cramer. I've checked the phone and he's called with O'Reilly plenty of times. I hope that gives you enough evidence to form some sort of case against him"

He hung up and turned to the lip reader, waiting until he was done. When he seemed ready, Cramer asked "So, can I have the transcripts?"
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    "Hello, Luc, this is Cramer. I've checked the phone and he's called with O'Reilly plenty of times. I hope that gives you enough evidence to form some sort of case against him"

He hung up and turned to the lip reader, waiting until he was done. When he seemed ready, Cramer asked "So, can I have the transcripts?"
    The lip reader handed him the transcripts silently.

The transcripts revealed nothing really new. He'd just spent most of his time ranting about Asians and black people.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Wait one, Fox," Tattershall said over the phone.

He turned to the Roland. "I want to be in on the prisoner transport, all right? Let me know when you're ready to move him, and make sure we get some armor on him first."
    "The Magistrate's Court has some cells and I'll go order a van", Roland replied, but it'll be a couple of hours".

"Fox," he said, stepping out of O'Reilly's earshot, "so you got a murder. Lucky you. You all need some help running it to ground? Or is it linked to today's special, a lovely little murder-suicide?"
    "The latter, I think. Some Yardie comes up to this Polish kid and stabs him to death in front of forty witnesses. Paramedics couldn't save him.

Yardie guy is in a van here if you want to interview him".
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

COLOR]
    "Excellent. What are you up to now? Ian's off supervising the transport, I think."

7. - Top - End - #277

"Thanks, Roland. Give me a call before you ship 'em, and I'll be there." Tattershall turned his attention back to the phone. "That's just great, Fox, just great. Let me guess, the kid's name was something like Stechkin or Stechkinski, right? So now we're looking down the barrel of a goddamn race war. Keep the ripper in the van, Fox, I'm on my way."

Ian grabbed his jacket. "Gainsbourg, where the bloody hell are you? We have to roll!"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

"Coming, Ian. What's happened now?"

9. - Top - End - #279

"Some Yardie just cut up some Polish kid, probably related to our situation," he said as they hurried out. "Hey Flashman," he shouted back to Cramer, "you want to come along, get some fresh air?"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hairb View Post
    "Excellent. What are you up to now? Ian's off supervising the transport, I think."
    "Well, first I need to know when exactly O'Reilly had the gun. See, we know about all four owners of the gun, and one of them has to have commited the murder in Hounslow. I'm sure we would help them a great deal by figuring it out. As I said, I'm taking a trip there tomorrow, but please ask O'Reilly in what period he had the gun. His prints are on it so he can't deny he had it. Just call me when you find out"

Cramer hung up again and headed to the computer labs as he texted Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Cramer
    Cancel the questioning of the customer. No need to bother her. The double check proved to be sufficient
    He entered the labs and asked for the results of the sweeps on Barkers and O'Reilly's computers.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well, first I need to know when exactly O'Reilly had the gun. See, we know about all four owners of the gun, and one of them has to have commited the murder in Hounslow. I'm sure we would help them a great deal by figuring it out. As I said, I'm taking a trip there tomorrow, but please ask O'Reilly in what period he had the gun. His prints are on it so he can't deny he had it. Just call me when you find out"

Cramer hung up again and headed to the computer labs as he texted Carlton.

He entered the labs and asked for the results of the sweeps on Barkers and O'Reilly's computers.
    The sweeps were still on-going, but they showed that Barker and O'Reilly were very clearly linked and had planned the murder of Jomo Smith.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

20:15
    Cramer texted Tattershall and Gainsbourg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash
    Barker and O'Reilly's computers show a clear link between them and intentions of killing Jomo. With the phonecalls, the connection through Protect Europe and O'REilly's prints on the murderweapon, I think that's enough to put him away for a long time. Conspiracy to murder is hardly a laughing matter.

Anyone up for a trip to Hounslow tomorrow?
    Cramer then called Carlton and requested back-up and a search warrant for Schmidt's residence. He needed to bring down the armsdealer, and he would have preferred for the others to have done it, but they were clearly otherwise occupied and their window of opportunity was closing. Cramer couldn't be surprised if the armsdealer had already skipped town.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2008-06-06 at 10:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

"Some Yardie just cut up some Polish kid, probably related to our situation," he said as they hurried out.
    "More bodies, hmm? Just what we need. Where'd it happen? We can take my car."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

20:15
    Cramer texted Tattershall and Gainsbourg.

Cramer then called Carlton and requested back-up and a search warrant for Schmidt's residence. He needed to bring down the armsdealer, and he would have preferred for the others to have done it, but they were clearly otherwise occupied and their window of opportunity was closing. Cramer couldn't be surprised if the armsdealer had already skipped town.
    Carlton responded, "Just got the warrant here. You're not authorised for a Romeo Command role- that is running an Armed Response Command op, so I'm tagging along. I'm on my way. See you there in about 20 minutes".

She was walking to her car.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    Carlton responded, "Just got the warrant here. You're not authorised for a Romeo Command role- that is running an Armed Response Command op, so I'm tagging along. I'm on my way. See you there in about 20 minutes".

She was walking to her car.
    Cramer got into his car.

Twenty minutes? That woman must be mad, I've never driven anywhere that fast!

20:59
    Cramer had arrived. He got out of his car and surveyed the scene.

16. - Top - End - #286

As Gainsbourg, Ian filled him in. "Yardie knife job at Tower Hamlets, punch it. Lots going down today."

He started to clumsily smash out of text messages, first to Cramer.

"Hounslow tomorrow, you're on, Flashman. G. and I are looking into a new Yardie murder."

Then to Carlton.

"Yardie murder at Tower Hamlets, may be related to ongoing. G. and I are on the way."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Cramer got into his car.

20:59
    Cramer had arrived. He got out of his car and surveyed the scene.
    A police van was parked off in a side street, with several armed officers surrounding it. They were armed with G36 assault rifles. The heavier fire power was deemed necessary by the situation.

Carlton was leaning back against a police car. She had a tactical vest on and a Glock in her holster.

"Evening, Flash", she said. "You'll be waiting outside until the area's secure. We go in 20 minutes. No indication of movement from inside".
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

A police van was parked off in a side street, with several armed officers surrounding it. They were armed with G36 assault rifles. The heavier fire power was deemed necessary by the situation.

Carlton was leaning back against a police car. She had a tactical vest on and a Glock in her holster.

"Evening, Flash", she said. "You'll be waiting outside until the area's secure. We go in 20 minutes. No indication of movement from inside".
    "Are you quite sure this is necessary, Alex? It all seems... a bit much?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Are you quite sure this is necessary, Alex? It all seems... a bit much?"
    "Yes, I believe it is. This man is almost certainly armed and not just with your street-level converted replica".
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, I believe it is. This man is almost certainly armed and not just with your street-level converted replica".
    "Off course, off course, but do you believe he will resort to violence when not confronted with a legion of armed officers? I mean, off course he might feel threatened now and shoot, forcing the officers to kill him, but will he do that when confronted with a weak old man like me?"

Cramer sighed.

"I'd really rather like him to get out of this alive. I need to know who bought the gun, and putting him behind bars will prove much better PR than killing him. We've already failed in stopping Barker, at least let me try to go in and convince him to come out quietly. Give me a bulletproof vest for under my clothing and I'll go in. Just me"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Off course, off course, but do you believe he will resort to violence when not confronted with a legion of armed officers? I mean, off course he might feel threatened now and shoot, forcing the officers to kill him, but will he do that when confronted with a weak old man like me?"

Cramer sighed.

"I'd really rather like him to get out of this alive. I need to know who bought the gun, and putting him behind bars will prove much better PR than killing him. We've already failed in stopping Barker, at least let me try to go in and convince him to come out quietly. Give me a bulletproof vest for under my clothing and I'll go in. Just me"
    Carlton thought about this, then shook her head.

"Suppose he shoots you in the head. I'm not letting a civilian go in that situation. If you want to talk to him first, you'll need to come up with a less dangerous way".
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Carlton thought about this, then shook her head.

"Suppose he shoots you in the head. I'm not letting a civilian go in that situation. If you want to talk to him first, you'll need to come up with a less dangerous way".
    Cramer sighed in defeat.

"All right, do as you please. But please, do tell the men to make sure he doesn't die. No violence unless it's necessary, and even then, incapacitate rather than kill"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Cramer sighed in defeat.

"All right, do as you please. But please, do tell the men to make sure he doesn't die. No violence unless it's necessary, and even then, incapacitate rather than kill"
    "We always shoot to disable", Carlton replied, "I can't guarantee that if we do shoot him, he'll survive. Sorry, but the safety of..."

At that point there was a loud bang from the direction of the vault as an explosion blew out the window.

"That was not us", Carlton replied.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

"We always shoot to disable", Carlton replied, "I can't guarantee that if we do shoot him, he'll survive. Sorry, but the safety of..."

At that point there was a loud bang from the direction of the vault as an explosion blew out the window.

"That was not us", Carlton replied.
    "Were it within my authority, I'd suggest you send the men inside before something dreadful happens. However, as it is, I can only tell you to wait for a second as I go get something in my car"

Cramer ran to his car, taking cover behind cars as much as he could, and took out a small briefcase. He returned to Carlton.

"These are cameras which can be mounted on an agents' shoulders. They should enable me to follow the vents from outside. Should anything happen to the men, we'll have proof Schmidt attacked them"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Carlton grabbed the cameras and caught up with a squad that was heading in.

She and the squad made their way up the steps and towards the flat where Schmidt was staying. The living room had been wrecked by the explosion.

Cramer saw the progress on the camera. He saw an officer enter the flat and make his way through. They found Schmidt in his bedroom. He'd just got up and was staggering around. The officer barked orders at him and saw him raise his hands. Then Cramer noticed Schmidt's ears were bleeding.

The explosion had punctured his eardrums and temporarily deafened him.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Cramer watched through the cameras. It was what he did. Watch, and afterwards collect the evidence.

27. - Top - End - #297

Tattershall turned on the radio loud as they cruised toward Tower Hamlets, searching for something raucous.

When they kick out your front door
    How you gonna come?
    With your hands on your head
    Or on the trigger of your gun

When the law break in
    How you gonna go?
    Shot down on the pavement
    Or waiting in death row

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

Luc grimaced at the choice of music, but made no comment.

"Who's charge of the scene at the moment? Are they reliable?"

29. - Top - End - #299

"Fox is on scene, she's a real sweetie." Tattershall rapped the dashboard in time with the music. "What's wrong, Gainsbourg? Don't like The Clash? This is real English music, my son, it's either this, the Beatles, or Elgar, and I hate John Lennon. Imagine 40 grams of lead in the head, right? We used to listen to The Clash when we did raids back in the CT squad. Nothing like a bit of Combat Rock before blowing some PIRA bastards to hell and gone. I miss those days, Gainsbourg. Real action, not pissing around with little murders." He sat quietly for a moment. "What about you, Gainsbourg? What'd you do before they stuck you here? What's your sin?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

"Crime Scene photography. It didn't work out so well. I'm better off here. The Clash, they aren't so bad you know. Just a little macabre."