New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Escaping Purgatory IC

As the music plays, and begins to pull on the heart strings of the crowd, more begin to gather. Soon there is over score people actively listening, and atleast as many more watching idly for entertainment value.

Another man steps forward, this one with a pronounced brow ridge and square jaw, (modern humans would recognize him as neandrathal) wearing jean overalls and a workshirt.

I know I have sinned Father! And that my time her is a deserved punishment. What must I do to be saved from this place?
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Faith! And in faith support each other and support this blesse'e'ed expedition." the preacher exclaims to the people, adding a classic Missouri drawl. "Is there not always a way ma'am," he says to the old woman, "paid for by the sacrifice of another? This world or the next the faithful all have ONE place to go. This is unmistakable, but for now I speak of the mortal coil. How to revive our peoples and deliver us from suffering while still alive!"

"What we might have done, or what might have brought us here is in-con-se-quential in the face of our faith! 'Cause the time to support a cause is now, the Savior is with us and can you feel his power ma'am?" The preacher whips around to the old woman in black, "Can you feel the divine glory? Give her the glory Lord! Show her the wa'a'a'a'y!"

((He will hold up a hand to the old woman and call down Ray of Hope upon the woman for all to see and her to feel. Hopefully she will bask in it and help sway the crowds support. Old women are good at that...))
    ((To bolter the show he will throw in Profession(preacher) to gain a few more shillings (1d20+3)[16] +music bonus +and other situational factors))

3. - Top - End - #33

Threefo

"Now don't you fret, son. Little to fear and much to learn in a mangle of humanity like that one there. Good way for you to get a sense a what the Hell a human is, true."
    Threefo nods for a minute, still glancing anywhere but actually at something. "True - yes. Lots of..people. Hard to think. Bumping. 'll be quiet on the road." But he does relax slightly, and even shoots quicks looks at Lenod's gathering once or twice.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

Jonah's eyes narrow, and his head nods in understanding. He doesn't speak. Instead he looks at Threefo for a moment, reaches his hand out to clap Threefo's shoulder, and then draws it back, tucking his thumb into his gunbelt.

Jonah levels a steady gaze at the preacher and the mini-revival going on in the street.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Crow Proofek

Crow's mouth widens into a very toothy grin. He loves the adoration of a crowd and the opportunity to show off his skill as a performer.

Although it would be rather rude to burst into song in the middle of the preacher's service, Crow finds no fault in performing now for the sake of music rather than to simply enhance Lenod's words.

Rocking his head up and down, he strums his guitar with greater enthusiasm, placing greater skill into his music.

OOC: Making a Perform (String Instrument) check to make a seperate-ish performance.

Perform - (1d20+11)[31]
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

As the intensity builds a ray of light streams down on the woman. Suddenly she falls over onto the ground and begins twitching and babbling in tongues.

Ai neoad unbirto trafu. Frenng Tertitf Icollo Permethika SHAKA! SHAKKA! IWANAONDANOTTAHYUNDAIE

Others around begin crying and raising their hands praising God (or in a few cases the Goddess) Suddenly money comes pouring forth. There is little enough of it Limbo, but many give what they have. A shower of coins of various metals and sizes, even one that seems to be of crystal and a Single dollar Bill with a picture of King Washington the III on it.

Suddenly a piercing shrill voice screams over the music and the sermon.

HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! CHARLATAN!

You see a gaunt elderly man wearing black robes push his way through the crowd. He is nearly bald, with only thin wisps of grey hair forming the barest circle around the top of his liver spotted head. Around his neck he wears a large iron chain with a stylized open eye hanging from it.

YOU CAN NOT ESCAPE THE PRESENCE! IT SEES EVERYWHERE! IT KNOWS YOUR HEARTS AND SOULS! YOUR "GODS" CAN NOT SAVE YOU! THEY ARE NOT HERE! THERE IS ONLY THE PRESENCE. GO THROUGH THE PORTAL, IT IS THERE! DESCEND THROUGH THE ABYSS AND IT IS THERE. SLAY THE DEATHLORDS AND SLAVE LORDS, SHUT THE GREAT MAW, BUT NOTHING STOPS THE PRESENCE! THERE IS NO HOPE! THERE IS NO FAITH! SEE HIS WORKS AND DESPAIR! SUBMIT TO THE WILL OF THE PRESENCE!

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

His hands hover over his guns.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+2)[5]

8. - Top - End - #38

Crow Proofek

Party pooper. The people of Limbo had enough misery, enough despair, enough hopelessness without people like this trying to bring about more of it with ramblings about the presence.

Drowning out the son of a gun seemed like a good idea. Crow strums his guitar into a creshendo of sound and screams a great big...

"YEAAAAAAAHHH!"

Magic fills the air, and the sounds of drums, bass, and keyboards fill the air accompanying Crow's guitar.

OOC: Casting Ghost Sound to create the sounds of the aforementioned instruments. Since Crow has a CL of Three, the volume is equivalent to the sound of 12 humans.

9. - Top - End - #39

Threefo

*fiddle fiddle twitch fiddle look in odd directions*

((Just making sure the DM wasn't waiting for my action to continue.))
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kato approaches the crowd from the back, slowly. Seeing Threefo and the gunslinger standing off to the side it approaches them cautiously, head tilted to the side, antennae waving gently. The dromite is wearing a small traveler's pack on its back and an ornately decorated scrollcase at its hip that it did not have during the meeting with the Shepherd.

"What is it that goes on here? I was elsewhere, preparing. I am ready to go. Are we ready? Whofor do we wait?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

((Actually I was waiting to see how Bene would handle things, since he is the one putting on the show))

The music swells and quickly drowns out the screaming old man. The crowd caught up in the moment begins to boo at the nay saying priest and yell at him to go away. Scowling the man turns on heel and storms away.

Finally a beautiful young woman with long hair white as snow and grey robes with white hand stitched into it steps forward.

I sense your journey will be long and fraught with danger. But you bring hope here. It has been long since any have sought the portal. Please take this. I have been labouring on it for days, and had intended to sell it. But I know that you will benefit from it more than I will.

She hands the priest a small white wand, apparently carved from ivory of some kind.

May the Hand guide you!

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

12. - Top - End - #42

Crow Proofek

Crow finishes his performance just as the woman comes up to the preacher. As Crow gives a bow to an adoring audience, his mouth twists into a somber smile. He saw the woman hand the preacher the wand and can just make out her words.

Crow disliked taking such valuable things from people, especially from cute girls like her, but he knew that it was not his choice to make and that the wand might well be needed on the road ahead.

13. - Top - End - #43

The preacher takes in the lass's beauty in a gulp of air that silences him for a moment. He bows with a nod and accepts the fine object.

"Blessings upon you lass," he man holds the wand across both palms, turning to the crowds, "For our Freedom!" He bellows while holding the wand up.

After a moment of revery with the peoples, Lenod turns to his associates, "Best get going or this crowd will hold us up all day with well wishes...and I don't fancy another meeting with that lunatic."

He places a hand on Crows shoulder as they walk off toward the fort and speaks warmly, "Nicely done man. Have you ever concidered playing in a choir?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

(to Kato)
    ( Preacher raising funds for the trip. Crow turned it into a true prayer meetin'. Some "Presence" lover wanted to bust it up. Crow stopped him, sure.

Let's go.

Jonah walks quickly and steadily toward the fort.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

As the crowd begins to disperse you head out through Limbo's main gates. The heavy iron doors set in the stone are open at the moment, and ahead you can see large tunnel, atleast 50 feet in diameter stretching on ahead. This is the main passage through to the cavern that holds the Outer Gates and Fort Raphael. From there you journey onwards and slightly upwards towards the ruins of Old Limbo.

The cavern of Old Limbo is the largest and open of the cavern within Limbo's territory. As you enter the cavern, having passed through the Outer gates and the check point in the passage way you find yourself standing on the rim of Old Limbo. The cavern is like a giant bowl with the majority of the ruins in the lower section. But even here on the upper rim you the shattered ruins that were once buildings. The architecture here seems to be mostly dwarven, though there are elements of many races and culture. Yet everything here seems to have been more orderly and uniform than the hodgepodge of buildings that make up the New Limbo. Overhead the top of the cavern is lost in thick grey mist, but the cavern is well lit with the same strange diffuse light that illuminates most of the caverns here, seemingly coming from everywhere and nowhere at once.

To the east you see the only major building still standing strong in Old Limbo: Fort Michael. It is carved out of the stone in the side of the cavern, and the road from where you stand now runs through it, then down into the bowl of the cavern, then back up on the other side.

As start towards the fort, along the road you are suddenly aware of the sound of hooves coming up behind you. You turn and see four figures robed in red riding black horses coming up fast.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

16. - Top - End - #46

OOC: I assume that they aren't visibly armed?

Crow Proofek

Seeing the rapidly approaching horsemen, Crow reaches towards his belt for his dagger, but decides against it.

Instead, he pulls out his guitar and prepares to perform in the event of an attack to magically bolster his allies.

OOC:
    Move Action: Draw guitar
    Readied Standard Action: Start Inspire Courage if the horsemen attack.

17. - Top - End - #47

"Four horsemen eh?" Lenod fidgets with his collar, "Not the most promising of signs. Please be friendly"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

You stare at the four for a moment, trying to figure out what is going on. As the ride closer you register two important facts almost simulatenously. The first is that the old man preaching about the Presence is in the lead. The second is that two of them have bows and are about to shoot!

Please Roll for Initiative!

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative (1d20+1)[19]

20. - Top - End - #50

Threefo

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20+2)[9]

In the first free action he has (I don't know if he can speak now, or must wait until his initiative comes up:
    Threefo immediately begins speaking in a swift, but clear monotone, almost like a recording. Ranged attacks to the back, stronger beings to the front. Spread out little so not all bunched up for easy shot. Flank and attack both sides if can. His movements are suddenly more fluid, unconsciously angling for the best position in the group.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[17] Jonah draws his guns as he moves for cover (if any is available).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kato's antennae twitch. Things coming. Twitch. Animals. Horses. Twitch twitch. Peoples. More well-wishers? Must be going. Enough time spent in Limbo.

Soon after he catches the indication of incoming people, hoof-beats fill the air.

Coming fast. Riding hard. Odd. The little dromite turns to see who it was that was approaching. Noticing their grim expressions and weapons, Kato's body tensed, antennae waving wildly. Not well-wishers! Not good! Danger! Action! Danger! Protect colony!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[22]

On Kato's turn it'll try to move into the center of the group, within roughly equal distance to everybody, in case anyone needs healing, and then will cast Bless on the group.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

((You rolled a 20 on initiative Savvy, so you get the bless off and then get another full action at the start of the next initiative round

I will have the battle map up tomorrow during the day sometime. ))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Okay the Battle Map is HERE

The blue lines are the road, the Green line is the ridge of the cliff that drops steeply about 30 feet. (You are on the rim of the bowl of the cavern)

I didn't have a lot of minis of mounted characters so I had to break out some warhammer stuff. The knight with the sword on a chain and shield is actually the old man. The knight beside him has a bow. The one with a hawk is actually in robes and carries no visible weapon. The one with a lance actually has a bow.

Your characters are:

Crow:E29 (bard with lute)
    Savvy:F29 (gnome illusionist)
    Lenod:E30 (war weaver with shield and wand)
    Threfo:F30 (Sage with staff)
    Gunslinger:E31(Elven Archer)

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jonah

Jonah heads for the tree as he draws his guns (double move).

They mean us harm. I'll get the archers.

26. - Top - End - #56

The preacher reaches for his belt at the sight of the bows. "Oh please, oh God, please don't let the nut-case kill me." He whispers a bit moreso to himself than any deity and throws a Smokestick about 10' in front of the group. (E-F 27-28 ish).

((The 10' cube smoke should grant concealment to all on the road and hopefully distract them from seeing Jonah getting is position.))

27. - Top - End - #57

Crow Proofek

Intiative - (1d20+2)[6]

Crow draws his guitar and begins to sing quite confidently. He was quite sure his companions were going to "kick some ass" and he was going to give them an "awesome" theme song to do it to.

OOC: Inspiring Courage, +1 to Attack rolls, Damage rolls, and saves vs. fear and charm effects.

28. - Top - End - #58

Threefo, (init = 9)

Threefo immediately begins speaking in a swift, but clear monotone, almost like a recording. Ranged attacks to the back, stronger beings to the front. Spread out little so not all bunched up for easy shot. Flank and attack both sides if can. His movements are suddenly more fluid, unconsciously angling for the best position in the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving one square to the side, away from the group. My initiative is too far away to decide right now what else to do - will update post at lunchtime.

Update - If on my turn they're still charging and get within 30 feet, I'll throw a Psionic Grease right in front of the first two horses. If they're not still charging and within 30 feet, I'll manifest an Energy Stun in their midst.

If neither of the above is the case, I'll...do something else.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-05 at 04:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Here is initiative order:

Kato
    Lenod
    Jonah
    Horsemen
    Threefo
    Crow

((H Savvy, we are still waiting on your second action. Bless was your surprise round action))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

((ohmy, I hadn't realized I was to take it immediately :P))

Training its gaze on the rider with the bow, Kato levels its crossbow and lets fly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: ready crossbow
    Standard Action: Fire!
    (1d20+5)[20]