New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Defend Thy City B

You find thyself in being lead through the Duke's Palace by a rather harassed clerk, past the chaos at the front door, up two flights of stairs, and are then deposited in a front of a plain wooden door. "Selene's waiting in there." and hustles off without a word.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge (local) dc 17 the know who Selene is. And now... ROLEPLAY!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Defend Thy City B

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (local): (1d20+4)[24]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoegraj

Having received a letter from the Duke's palace notifying him of conscription into the defense of the city, Hoegraj nervously knocks on the plain wooden door.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Come in! a female voice calls from the room.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoegraj

The little gnome opens the door and enters, wondering what will be asked of him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Warunoki wonders at coming to the Palace but he feels confident the rumors of reward and adventure would be true. As he walks in he gets pulled into a group other would be heroes and defenders of the city. He follows the gnome into the room he continues to gawk at the finery of the palace and thinks to himself someday I will have something this nice

Spoiler
    Show

Untrained knowledge local check (1d20)[20]

As he is walks into the room he looks around at those that have come this far and then up to the sound of the voice that invited them in.
    Last edited by LatemYvaeh; 2008-04-15 at 07:01 PM.
    Latem Yvaeh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hello, and you are...? a figure is standing at a window, staring down at the docks and the rising sun obscures your view of her. Between you and the window is a plain wooden chair and a desk covered in papers. The rest of the room is spartan, the only decorations a pair of crossed swords, one broken, the other wickedly curved, nailed to the wall above the window.

Edit: ninja'd!
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-04-15 at 07:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for knowledge...

[roll=1d20+7[/roll]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9

Hyran Stoffer

Though he'd often looked to the palace with covetous eyes this was Hyran's first time inside of it's confines. Normally he would be casing the area for points of entry, the number of guards and which ones seemed the most competent. Now he was too angry, but this mission seemed to promise him some peace at least.

He slipped through the door just after the two ahead of him in time to catch the question.

"Hyran Stoffer. I was told to come here."

Leaning against the wall by the door Hyran doesn't offer anything but a glance of his eyes and a nod to the others in the room, focussing his attention on Selena instead.

Anyone inclined to look at him would see a thickset man in a dark grey cloak and well-serviced leather armor. A habitual scowl rested on his rather plain face, which was marred by a long ugly scar running from his left temple to under the same sided eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling again due to missing a chunk of text in the last one Oh, and I'll take Dark Slate Grey for Hyran's speech and thoughts.

Knowledge Local - (1d20+7)[17]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-04-15 at 07:43 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge roll (1d20+2)[15]
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My name is Warunoki m'Lady.

Oh and I guess I will take the nice fighter red :)
    Latem Yvaeh

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hello The figure turns from the window and strides up to the desk, deftly plucking out a piece of paper at the same time. I'm sorry I don't have any chairs for you. You'll just have to wait a moment.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained Knowledge(local) check:(1d20)[1]
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoegraj

"I am Hoegraj, the transmuter. I received this letter of conscription to aid in the city's defense and to report here for instructions. How may I be of service?" Hoegraj hands Selene the letter he received.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hate to break it to some of you, but Knowledge skills are trained-only. :-P

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I make exceptions for knowledge (local)

Ah yes, the transmuter. Just a few more to come yet. The women looks back down at her papers, and then removes a quill from the inkpot on the desk and scribbles a note in the marigin of some report.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Zemdrias
    Spoiler
    Show
    Woah that was a bad roll. Even though I forgot to add in my int bonus (+1) a nat 1 isn't helping anyone >.< Hmm, I wonder how I should deal with this...
    Anyway, I figured that since Zemdrias doesn't actually live in the city that he'd only end up at the Duke's at Aryu's request, and probably wouldn't be expected. Tell me if that's an issue.

Glancing around, Zemdrias groaned inwardly. What had Aryu gotten him into this time? Helping a friend, sure, he'd do that at the drop of a hat, but defending a city? Aryu would definitely owe him big time if they both survived this. Stepping into the room, he spoke, his voice soft but commanding. "Has a wizard by the name of Aryu Firwig come through here yet? He told me he would meet me here." With that, he fell silent, offering no form of explanation.
    Last edited by senrath; 2008-04-16 at 07:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Aryu

Aryu grips his letter, re-reading it and confirming that he's in the right place. As he hears his name being spoken by a familiar voice, he stows the letter in his robes and walks through.
    "Did somebody say my name?" he asks, in mock ignorance.
    "In any case, I am Aryu Firwig, Conjurer and colleague of the druid over there," he points to Zemdrias. "I, like the others here, I am assuming, recieved a letter requesting my services in the defense of the city and am here to report in."
    Having spoken his piece, Aryu hands his letter to the important-looking woman and falls silent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am going to be gone for the next 3 days, and will likely not be able to post until Sunday afternoon. I am giving rights to control Aryu to Senrath and The_JJ until then. Is that cool with you guys? I'll be back as soon as I can.

Spoiler
    Show

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ah good, you're all here. she looks at another piece of paper. Quite frankly, you lot would normally be down in the milita yard with the rest of the conscripts, but most of you have skills... outside of what is normally recomended for militamen. So I'm putting together bands of irregulars like you to help me deal with certain... issues that this city seems to be collecting. Namely, the rich mansions to the west of the docks have all been abandoned, and overrun with looters. Some of my sources say the O'Devard and Polinski Estates each had some stockpiles of Alchemical Fire and magical materiel that the city needs. Take this, she slids across a piece of paper for each of you. It's maked with the seal of the city and signed illegibly, naming you a member of the Special Milita working under Highest Authority for the duration. and go.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoegraj

Hoegraj carefully folds the piece of paper and places it in his backpack. Sensing that they have been dismissed, he walks outside the room. As the others leaves the room, he introduces himself, "I am Hoegraj the Transmuter, at your service."
    Spoiler
    Show

What does Hoegraj know about the O'Devards?
    Knowledge(local): (1d20+4)[14]
    Knowledge(nobles): (1d20+4)[23]

What does Hoegraj know about the Polinksis?
    Knowledge(local): (1d20+4)[24]
    Knowledge(nobles): (1d20+4)[15]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

For Hoegraj
    Spoiler
    Show
    There isn't much to know. Both the O'Devard and Polinski are rich, powerful merchant (and sometimes Mafia) families, based in Romily but with branches in other cities. With an invasion pending, they fled to these branches with as much as they could carry with them. You do know where they live, which is something you hadn't been told by Selene. Also, I might PM with information you earned with these rolls. (That nat. 20 in particular)
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-04-17 at 07:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Warunoki bows and then backs out of the office he looks around at the people that have been assigned the task with him

Pleased to meet you all. Names Warunoki so anyone know which of the merchant houses The Wolfmother wants us to loot for her? Or are we gonna just start with the biggest ones and work our way down?
    Latem Yvaeh

22. - Top - End - #22

Hyran Stoffer

Hyran accepts the signed note with a grunt and follows the others out. He nods along to the first few introductions and tosses in his own.

"Like you heard in there, the name's Hyran Stoffer. What you didn't hear is that I'm a thief and a thug, no point in hiding it with an army heading our way."

"I was expecting something a little more important," he shrugs, "but at least we aren't in the regular muster to get slaughtered on the field." He looks up and sighs, "It's too bad that those mansions have been looted already, some of those places had some real nice goods."

Spoiler
    Show
    More Knowledge Local checks...

Knowledge Local - (1d20+7)[10] for Polinski
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+7)[26] for O'Devard

My text keeps coming out pink, I've already edited this 3 times!
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-04-17 at 10:57 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hoegraj

The little gnome says, "I am familiar with the location of these two houses. I suggest we visit the house of O'Devard first. Is everyone ready? Follow me!"

And the little gnome leads onward until they get close to the house.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Zemdrias and Aryu

"I am Zemdrias. I am a druid. Only speak to me when spoken to, or in an emergency." As he spoke, his face remained completely devoid of any and all emotion, as did his voice. He had a feeling that he would get along fine with this group of people, provided they didn't try and talk to him. Talk was entirely too cheap.

"Just ignore Zemdrias, he's really quite a nice person. He just lacks any appreciation for good conversation. And Hyran, our job is incredibly important! A good quantity of alchemist's fire would greatly aid in any defense the city could muster, and without the proper materials the city could not mount any form of magical defense! Sure, we will most likely get no glory for the task, but being alive is a bit more important than that, surely." Aryu looked around the group as he spoke, taking in everyone. Then something Warunoki had said came to mind, and he had to ask about it. "Warunoki, why did you call the Lady Selene 'Wolfmother'?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

---- Warunoki ----

Well I compete in axe throwing competitions from time to time some of the elite forces of the city also compete. As you may or may not know she is the defacto leader of the defences of the city and personally in charge of the elite forces. All her troops call her that as a sign of respect just a mother wolf protects the pack and all the cubs in it with more fierceness and cunning than any other creature so she takes care of her men. Well at least that is what I over heard one of the elite guard say when someone asked him the same question.
    Latem Yvaeh

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Zemdrias and Aryu

"Well, that makes sense. And speaking of wolves, where is Elian, Zemdrias?" Aryu asked, turning to his friend.

Without speaking, Zemdrias pointed off to the left of the group, where a wolf was cautiously approaching them. "If this Selene is truly like a mother wolf then we are indeed in safe hands."

27. - Top - End - #27

Hyran Stoffer

As the wolf approaches Hyran grips both of his sword hilts and glares at Zemdrias.

"You better have that wolf under control. I've heard too many stories of them attacking people to feel fine with that animal around."
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-04-19 at 05:32 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Zemdrias

"Calm yourself. Elian will only attack those who threaten him, me, or those who I tell him to." As soon as Elian took his place next to Zemdrias, Zemdrias reached down and scratched behind his ears.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Aryu

"Yeah. Zemdrias and Elian have been together for a long time. Longer then I've known them, even. Great and loyal companion, that wolf. A terror in battle, though, to be sure."
    Even as he speaks, Aryu studies the spells written within his personal book, preparing for the job ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Preparing spells as we walk there.
    Spells prepared

0th: 1 Prestidigitation, 1 Acid Splash, 1 Dancing Lights
    1st: 1 MagicMissile, 1 Shield.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-04-20 at 09:38 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Hyran Stoffer

"That's what I'm afraid of..." the thief mumbles under his breath. He simply follows Hoegraj afterwords, needing no preparation himself.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show