New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: [Artifacts] My Friends

Love that ring, and it so fits Bunny too! You have a talent for this you know.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Slaughter Penny - Sometimes, the most innocuos things are what rise to power and prestige. Take the Slaughter Penny as an example of this - for it is nothing more than a humble copper piece. The surface seems perpetually oily and bloody, and no recognizeable seal is stamped into it. For centuries, it has passed from assasin to assasin, always being used to pay for the deaths of others, until its perpetually bloody work stained it forever.

The Slaughter Penny grants the wearer a +20 bonus on all Intimidate checks simply by the virtue of being on his person. However, if they grasp the Penny, they gain a Death Attack as an assasin of their character level. Furthermore, they may render themselves invisible as per greater invisibility at will. Whenever they slay a living being, the Slaughter Penny stores the soul of its victim inside itself. The souls may be expended as though they were charges, allowing the user to cast any necromancy spell on the wizard/sorcerer spell list at the cost of one soul per spell level.

The owner of the Slaughter Penny finds themselves growing detached and emotionless, except for brief flashes of humor when contemplating death or sadism. He starts leaving behind bloody finger and boot prints, and eventually has an almost permanent coating of fresh blood dripping from their bodies. Killing for money only makes the symptoms worse.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-07-09 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hmm... I like this thread, I can think of plenty of things that would fit my friends. Gareth, do you care if we post our artifacts here too? Also, I was reading your Harrowed base class and I loved it.

4. - Top - End - #34

Go ahead! I don't mind at all ^_^

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Go ahead! I don't mind at all ^_^
    Thanks. I'll just do my two fellow gamers for now.

The Ring of Freedom of Cheese
    By putting on this ring you find that the universe holds no sway over you. You may immediately reroll your character of you so choose. Also, if there is ever an argument over rules interpretation you automatically win no matter how liberal your reading.

The Phasm's Coat
    This slightly battered coat at first appears as a green jacket but seems to change minutely or largely whenever you take your eyes off it. Those who discover it find it a great boon. But the weak-willed wuickly become isolated from all those they hold dear. When put on it appears similar to the rest of the wearer's clothing, a little to much like it. The wearer gains several abilities. They can change their appearence and clothing at will as per Alter Self except that the wearer may also physically transform their clothing. The wearer may also use Shapechange at will. The greatest power of the coat though is its control over others perceptions. As said above, whenever an onlooker stops focusing on the wearer of the coat, it changes. Upon looking back, the viewer ceases to recongnize the user (no save). This frees the wearer from any harmful or benefical spells or effects that were cast on the wearer by the onlooker. However, this affect applies to all creatures, friendly or hostile, and may lead to strange situations as the DM permits. The wearer may suppress this effect my making a DC 34 will save every 10 minutes.

Yes, I know the second one is horribly worded so please don't kill me.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Artifacts] My Friends and other submissions!

The book and penny.. who would those be for?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #37

GnomeWizardGuy

I want that ring.... Precious....

Here's one of my friends'

Hero's Greatsword
    Functions in most respects like a +3 Greatsword, however, it is twice as long and wide as a normal Greatsword. It is way lighter than it should be and it temporarily allows the wielder to defy the laws of physics. After a time, the user is prevented from making decisions, no matter how logical, that do not involve being the hero. The wielder as jumps in the way of any attack within 2 squares of his location, and he gets a -5 penalty on his Saving throws when he does this. He becomes dumber and dumber, while refusing to willingly part with the sword.

8. - Top - End - #38

You've never met the master of the Book, a friend of mine named Rob. The penny is DM Bloodbought - a pun on his name.

My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Right, thanks ^_^
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #40

Alrighty folks -

For Those of You Submitting Your Own Artifacts - I ask that you take the patience and care that I have in creating the artifacts I've submitted. Attempt to make them balanced and give them real, in-game histories that the players can find out about. Try to keep things somewhat serious, aye? Thank you.

My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The Unpredictable Orb- Years ago, a young psion by the name of Extaron traveled the land. After a particularly exciting adventure involving dragons, bridges, and making the two fight to the death, Extaron was offered an invaluable gift by a strange old man. The man handed Extaron a glass sphere the size of a grapefruit. As the psion grasped the ball, his eyes opened in surprise. Suddenly, he felt his mind expand to previously unknown limits. The man saw that it had worked and said, "Never again will you know your fate, and never again shall you know yourself." Confused, Extaron looked around. He was in the same place he had been before, and he knew just who he was, didn't he? About to ask what the man meant, Extaron looked back, shocked to realize he was gone. When he inquired, none of his fellow Explosionites (the name under which they had chartered their 'Expeditionary Corporation') had seen or heard any old man. They'd only seen Extaron sitting, thinking, looking much more pensive than his usual wild self. The psion thought little more of it until he tried to use his powers...and then, once he'd gotten used to it, he hadn't considered the little orb...until, of course, he tried to sleep...

The wielder of the Unpredictable Orb must have access psionic powers and a power point reserve for any effect to take place. When calculating bonus power points based on a high intelligence or when making knowledge checks (whether or not the character has ranks in the particular skill), treat the wielders intelligence as 4 points higher than it is.

In addition, when the user manifests a power that has energy options, the user does not choose which one to manifest. The user rolls a d4. On a 1, the power deals fire damage. On a 2, cold, on a 3, electricity, and on a 4, sonic. The usual effects apply, such as fire dealing +1 damage per die. In addition to randomly choosing the energy type used, the power also adds an additional d6 of an energy type chosen by the user. This extra d6 of energy damage is unaffected by energy effects like +1 damage per die for fire.

When the user tries to sleep to refuel their power points, the user is wracked by terrible nightmares that consume their entire mind. While asleep, the user is almost impossible to wake, and adds +10 to the DC of any Listen checks made to wake up. Even if the user does wake up via this method, however, their mind is still foggy, and for 1d4+1 minutes all creatures more than 5 feet away have total concealment against the user.

Regardless of whether or not the user is woken up forcefully, they must succeed on a DC 25 Will Save when they return to consciousness (whether their normal wake-up time or 1d4+1 minutes after they are woken). If they fail the save, their power choices for the day are severely limited. Roll a d%. If the result is even, the user may only manifest powers that would be affected by the orb's random energy effect. If the result is odd, the user may only manifest powers that do not deal damage (be that damage physical, force, energy, or some other type). On a successful save, however, there is no effect.
    Last edited by Vadin; 2008-05-02 at 02:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Argh! *Gets blindsided by the Doom Block of Text*

There's an enter key for a reason, dude :P

The Lord's Dread Fangs - An ancient vampire of legend was once the owner of these fangs, known only as The Lord. His years were long and grew longer by the minute, and his incredible intellect found itself bored - the only sin to one without death.

Eventually, the Lord fell in love with a mortal priestess of Pelor. In his dead heart beat new life and new love - and he knew that he could not restrain himself or keep his love a secret. He confessed all to his beloved, who, rather than rejecting him, asked him to perform penance for his deeds. He cut the very fangs from his mouth and swore never to steal blood again. The fate of both the Lord and the priestess is unknown, but the temple of Pelor still has the fangs as sacred relics.

When a living being finds the Lord's Dread Fangs, they feel the urge to put them in their mouth, which they may accept or ignore at their own will. If they place the teeth in their mouth, the Fangs bond to their canines, granting them the Blood Drain and Blood Dependency special qualities of the Vampire template. The user of the Fangs also gains the benefit of a constant haste and stoneskin spell. If they drink the blood of someone who offered it unto them freely, they gain a +4 morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity for an hour.

The user of the Lord's Dread Fangs finds themselves consumed by wanderlust and the need for new experiences. Their emotions are heightened - they love and hate like fire and ice, and never will they be nuetral on anything. When confronting undead, they feel the increasing need to offer them forgiveness and compassion rather than destruction.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-07-09 at 07:30 PM.

My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Argh! *Gets blindsided by the Doom Block of Text*

There's an enter key for a reason, dude :P
    Oddly, I actually DID have spaces between paragraphs in there last night...then I had to go eat and...I'm not sure why I took them out...Ah, well. It was late. Problem...rectified!

14. - Top - End - #44

I love this concept

If I may I will use 1 of my real life friends for this as I am new to the boards

Deck of cowardly luck
    This deck of playing cards was the ever present companion a man known by almost any name but normally called the wanderer. The deck absorbed his essence, luck and, at his death, his personality.
    The owner of the deck is blessed with great luck and an even greater sense of self preservation. They also become as opportunist.

The owner gains a +6 luck bonus to hide, move silently and escape artist checks, in addition they gain a +4 luck bonus to all rolls and will never willingly turn down a chance to “try there luck”.
    In battle the owner may Sneak attack as a level 30 rogue however if this attack fails to kill the target or there are other enemies that pose an immediate threat the deck will instantly teleport its owner either 1 mile away or to the nearest known place of safety, whichever is closer.

Anyone in possession of the deck will become very reluctant to put themselves in danger for any reason, they will also have a growing urge to seek out games of luck.
    Others will normally ignore the owner if they have taken no direct action against them, possibly sensing there unnatural cowardice.
    Strangely anyone who keeps the deck for more than 1 week will find themselves answering to almost any name given to them by anyone while they have the deck, this cannot be changed by any means.

Probably a weak attempt but the best I can come up with.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess I'll try my hand at this.
    The Sword of Stone
    Legends spoke of an immense golem, said to have been carved from a mountainside. No one knows who created it, but it ravaged the lands with a force comparable to a raging dragon. It crushed armies, destroyed cities, and slaughtered foolhardy adventurers brave enough to face it. It could not be stopped...

The golem continued it's path of destruction, heading towards the capital city. All that remained to defend the city was an unknown order of Paladins. The battle was epic; All the Paladins were killed except one: Byrna Warpcross. With his final blow, he drove his sword into it's head. Once the sword was fully embedded in the golem, it sank into the earth, submerging all but it's massive head; The sword still entombed within it's stone skull. The sword remained in the golem for thousands of years, absorbing the power of the golem.

The Sword of Stone appears to be made of stone but is much lighter than it seems. The sword functions as a +5 vicious longsword. It grants it's wielder DR 10/Adamantine. It also allows the wielder use a slow effect (DC 30 Will save) 5 times/day on a successful hit. On a critical hit, the target creature is immediately petrified (DC 35 Fort save). This sword also has a curious effect on constructs. On the equivalent of a critical hit, the construct completely stops functioning as if petrified (no save). This effect includes living constructs such as warforged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    If everything else fails, order Majora's mask to drop the moon on them. The night elves will be especially suprised at this.
    Thanks to _Puppetmaster_ for my avatar

Hylian of the church of Link's hat.

My Zelda related homebrews!
    Other homebrews:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hidden Flame (monster)
    The Sword Of Stone (Artifact)

16. - Top - End - #46

I Reckon those fangs are those that once rested in my mouth Gareth.

BTW I'm growing a new pair now, but as I've said a million times, I only drink when offered now, as the deal with the girl is in reality :P ;)

^^
    '¨'

(O)(O)
    V^^V

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.