New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Infected! IC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Infected! IC

Sam Reed
    I looked into the grocery store. No sign of Mike anywhere. I didn't have much choice. The supplies would have to wait.

I ran for the town hall, keeping light footed and a wary eye for the infected. There hadn't been a lot lately, but one or two could spark a second wave. And that was something nobody wanted.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

John

A brief glint of light on metal catches John's eye, and as he looks closer he sees what appears to be a piece of a policeman's belt. The metallic reflection had come from a pair of handcuffs and there was a pistol magazine in one of the leather belt pouches. The rest of the belt is missing as if it had been broken (or ripped) in half. He picks it up and slips it into one of the lowers cargo pockets on his pants. Could be useful for something... Then he heads down the street towards the other people he'd seen straining his eyes and ears for any sign of mutants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If any of the other normals looks in his direction, he will try to get their attention, but otherwise he will try to remain hidden and silent as he walks down the street.
    Hide - (d20+2)[14]
    Move Silently - (d20+2)[19]
    Spot - (d20+1)[16]
    Listen - (d20+1)[8]
    Search - (d20+9)[17]
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-05-05 at 08:03 AM.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Jonny and Ian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jonny takes point as the two of you creep over to the turn in the street. At the corner, you take cover for a moment. Here, Jonny sees a larger figure approaching from the intersection; you assume it's a man from the body frame and you can see they are carrying an axe. A second later, you both hear the scraping noise again; being closer, it sounds like metal against concrete. Jonny, being closer to the street, fixes his eyes on the noise. You notice a shimmer slowly moving across the metal and can make out a pair of legs on the ground.

To Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clouds have spread across the night sky blocking any light possible from the moon. You quint your eyes trying to pinpoint the source of the sound. After a few moments, you hear the same sound again...

To David:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you're walking towards the intersection, you look back to the group and notice that there are only two men standing their now. Coming more into the street, you hear the noise once more.

To Sam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you have a chance to get out of the grocery store, you hear something collapse from the back room followed by the sound of a dog growling. Through the chaos you can hear the Sheriff struggling.

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Approaching the group, you notice as two of them quietly dash into the street. There are still two left standing; one of them has a gun drawn and appears to be gazing into the street. The other is still, a firm grip on a baseball bat.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

"F*** it, I'm gonna go check out what those two've found"
    Trent moves to follow the other two, although still looking around to try to see anything that might try to eat his face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+1)[9]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[14]
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    Talk to LordRod if you want him to make you an avatar as cool as mine.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Jonny taps Ian and points out the 2 seperate things without making sound. Jonny then takes a couple of smallish rocks and hucks them behind the figure (and away from himself and new companions). Waiting to see how the figure with the axe reacts (Do infected usually carry weapons or are the animalistic and just charge??). Jonny puts the binoculars up to his eyes to get a better view of the legs and shimmering (blood?).

(Which way is the figure going? Towards the group or away?)

Jonny decides to stay completely still until the man moves on (unless the man comes at him or Ian dos something to draw the mans attention).

EDIT: Or unless Trent draws the guy towards Jonny....
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-05-06 at 02:37 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sam Reed
    I was about to run for the town hall, when I heard Mike struggling with something - it sounded like an infected dog.

I sighed heavily. If the dog was infected, like so many others, Mike would be another friend I would have to put down. Pulling back the action on the Colt, I slowly entered the grocery store, on the lookout for the dogs.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

John:

John stalks up the street towards the two stationary "others" and whispers, "Psst. Hey. Over here. Don't shoot. I heard gunshots and I came to investigate. What's going on?" As he waits for a response, John listens and watches for any sign of mutants.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen - (d20+1)[21]
    Spot - (d20+1)[9]
    Search - (d20+9)[20]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

David

David's ears prick up as he hears the rocks bouncing behind him. He looks up to where the group was before and sees only the two of them, with another figure stalking up to them. After a quick scan he spots the two members that were missing, and that had apparently threw the rocks at him. He waves his hand in the air as a quick gesture that he was friendly, but more importantly normal. He moves over to the rock throwers as quickly as he could while still remaining quiet, keeping a firm grip on his axe as the noise becomes louder the closer he gets. When he is close enough that a low hiss would carry to them he asks, in a fairly low and deep voice, "Hey. What the hell is going on around here?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Sam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you re-enter the grocery store, there's nothing of note.. visually. From the back part of the store, you hear a faint gargling noise and, after a moment, there's a loud "clang" of falling metal.

To Jonny:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you focus the binoculars to the end of the alley, you see that the glint was a pistol. There's a hand firmly gripping it and slowly pulling it to their chest. You notice that his other hand is clinging to his neck. A lot of blood is oozing from the fingers.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Jonny---

Jonny hands the binoculars over to Ian to view then takes them back and puts them away.

Jonny then gestures to himself and Ian to circle around to see if they can assist the bleeding man and using a thumbs up/down gesture asks for an answer.

(Assuming yes to help): Using as much cover between himself and the axe holder as possible he moves around the area as quickly as possible whikle staying quiet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did I here David? Listen (1d20-1)[10]
    Keeping an eye on the axe guy. Spot:(1d20-1)[16]
    Hide:(1d20+8)[21]
    MS:(1d20+8)[15]
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Jonny:
    Spoiler
    Show

You see and hear the man carrying the axe.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian

Ian gives Jonny an unsure thumbs up with a slight shrug. He is doubtful that he can help the wounded man as he has absolutely no medical experience. He butchered far too many Infected corpses before finally being able to extract an intact liver.

Ian still has his trusty Beretta out, and follows Jonny as quietly as he can. He keeps low, trying to remember his ambush training in the army. He breathes lightly, trying not to make a single sound as he moves.

He also tries to keep an eye out to anything other than the axe-carrying man, in case something else may sneak up on them.

Spoiler
    Show

Move Silently: (1d20+4)[19]
    Hide: (1d20+4)[18]
    Spot: (1d20)[10]
    Listen: [roll]ad20[/roll]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

(Because I messed up the listen roll)

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[14]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Ian, Trent, and Jonny:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All of you try to stay hidden and make your way down the alley. As you get closer, you see that the man is holding a gun. You also see his wound... and, from what you can determine, it's not from a bite from Infected. It looks like this wan was shot.

To David:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nearing the alley entrance, you see, now three, men crouching and slowly walking in the shadows. Where they were at first you now see a man with a bat and another approaching him.

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get no immediate response from the one you're talking to; however, as you get closer you notice another walking towards the alley carrying an axe.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

John:

Whispering to the guy with the bat a little louder now, "Listen, I'm not going to hurt you, but I need to know what's going on." If he doesn't immediately get a response he will tap the guy on the shoulder with the rear end of one of his arrows, being careful to stay out of immediate reach of the bat in case he startles the guy and he swings in response.

Current Characters:

16. - Top - End - #46

David

"Hello?!" David whispers again, a little louder this time. From the looks of it the three men hadn't even noticed him, if they were actually there, after all the time he spent alone his mind could be playing tricks on him, making him imagine people. They were probably real though and so he creeps into the alleyway after them, staying as quiet as he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide - (1d20+2)[9] move silently - (1d20+2)[20] listen - (1d20-1)[6] spot - (1d20-1)[19]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trent turns to look in the direction David was whispering from, only now noticing that the voices he was hearing weren't just his imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20)[10]
    Listen:(1d20)[10]
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After being prodded the man wildly spins around swinging the bat. After only hitting air he looks directly at you, "Damn, you almost caught the blunt end of this bat..." he pauses drawing his breath. "We heard some gunshots. There are four of us who have just met here. Three of them are checking out a noise around the bend. I'm trying to keep my eyes focused on a shadowed figure in the distance. It looks to be closing in on the other three..."

To David:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see the three of them now in full view. They're all crouched in the alley slowly surrounding a body on the ground. When you whisper one of them turns their head back sharply.

To Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see the man approaching hidden in shadows; however, he is moving very queitly.

EDIT: Sorry! I made a big mistake! I confused the characters "John" and "Jonny".
    Last edited by Boggs; 2008-06-03 at 05:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

John:

When he doesn't get a response from the guy with the bat, John thinks to himself, Man, this guy must literally be scared stiff. John gives the guy a wide berth as he approaches the other group of people. When he gets close enough to be heard he whispers, "Hey, what's going on?" He keeps a wary eye out for any sign of mutants and and arrow nocked on his bowstring.

Spoiler
    Show

Whatever's needed...
    Hide - (d20+2)[8]
    Move Silently - (d20+2)[18]
    Spot - (d20+1)[19]
    Listen - (d20+8)[13]
    Search - (d20+9)[21]

Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #50

David

David quickly smiles and nods to the man who turned back, hoping to have made eye contact and to have shown he was normal. He cautiously creeps to the rest of the group and speaks softly, "what's happened to him, was it from an infected?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

((See if I can spark an interest back into the group...))

Happening within seconds of each other, you all hear two gunshots fired from the other side of town. You also hear a man screaming from around the corner.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

John:

Hearing the gunshots on the other side of town followed by the screaming prompted John to think that things were about to get hairy. He says to the guy with the bat, "Hey! Follow me. We've gotta get see what's going on around the corner." He slings his bow across his back and drops his arrow back into its quiver and looses his whip from his belt. "I know it doesn't look like much, but it comes in pretty handy in a pinch" he says referring to the whip.
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-06-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typos...

Current Characters:

23. - Top - End - #53

David

Damn it.. The gun shot was too far away to investigate at the moment, and David had no particular interest of doing so, the infected would be swarming on that position any minute now and he did not fancy being in the middle of it. Instead he decides to see who was screaming, see if he could be of any aid. Keeping low he quickly moves to the corner and slides up against the wall, peeking out around it to try and see what was happening.
    Last edited by Serje; 2008-06-14 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Screwed up the spot roll

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trent:

Hearing the scream, Trent moves around the corner, aiming his pistol at chest level.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To Trent, David, and John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Coming around the corner you immediately see two men on the ground. The one on bottom is gripping the other at the neck with one hand, and madly swiping for a pistol on the ground with the other. It's clear the man on top is infected, missing half his arm and most of his torso, he's still savagely fighting against the other.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

John:

Seeing the infected on top of the other man, John makes a quick scan of the area and then assuming he doesn't see any other infected, unslings his bow, nocks an arrow, draws and fires in a flash. ((OOC: If he does see other infected I'll edit this post))

Spoiler
    Show
    Shoot the infected scum - (d20+2)[19]

Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #57

David

Seeing the struggle happening around the corner David quickly looks for any more of the infected. Not immediately seeing any he rushes out from behind his cover and towards the two, swinging his axe in a wide arcing blow aimed directly at the infected's back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll - (1d20+4)[11] and Damage - (1d8+6)[10]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian

Ian follows the three as they investigate the screaming and the gunshots.
    Upon seeing the infected he quickly lifts his beretta and fires a shot at the infected monstrosity. He keeps his eyes and ears open for more, knowing that there is rarely just one Infected present.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+1)[10]
    Crit Damage: (4d6+2)[15]
    (I assume that Infected can be critically wounded because they are not true undead but infected humans.)
    Spot: (1d20)[14]
    Listen: (1d20)[13]

Also using my Knowledge: Earth and Life science to determine if the victim has been infected...

Knowledge E&L: (1d20+8)[26]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Struggling along the ground, the man and the Infected roll to the side as David approaches. Sparks fly as his axe meets the street below; Ian takes aim to take a shot. As he fires, he is distracted by the noise behind him. He notices the man with the bat fending off an Infected from the ground.

With almost an inaudible "thwoop" John's arrow pierces the back of the Infected's neck right at the spine. Immediately, it collapses on top of the civilian.

To John:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This time I just assumed the Infected died because it was already mangled. However, don't forget to roll damage for your rolls.

To Ian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice he has blood all over his body but it's hard to determine if it's from any bites or scratches. You're also side-tracked by the surprise attack from behind you.

((To All: please, roll for "criticals". Critical hits, if confirmed high enough, will normally result in an instant death or "head shot".))

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

John:

Seeing his arrow drop the mutant instantly, John spins around to see the mutant attacking the guy with the bat. He glances around again, worried that all of the commotion might be calling too much attention to their whereabouts, and then fires another arrow at the new target. Then he says to the group, "Keep your eyes peeled gentlemen! We can't afford them to overrun our position."

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about that, Boggs here are the full rolls, I hope.
    Spot - (d20+1)[21]
    Attack - (d20+2)[13]
    Critical - (d20+2)[6]
    Damage - (d8)[4]
    Crit Damage - (d8)[7]
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-06-18 at 03:49 PM.

Current Characters: