New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

The Ape-Sultans are described as savage, yet bestially intelligent, giant white apes. Centuries ago they arrived from an unknown country they called Barsoom saying, to the puzzlement of all, that the air had run out there.

They waged a great war against the inhabitants of Karth and enslaved them. On their victory they built the great brass wall, and retired behind it, never to emerge.

They're said to have a golden idol of their god, a six-armed ape, installed in a marble temple in the town square.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-04-30 at 02:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Assault on the Palaces of the Ape-Sultans (Basic D&D / Labyrinth Lord)

Spoiler
    Show
    Wish I'd called my character John Carter now.

"I second heading to the village. That wall has me spooked"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tan moves as far away from the wall as he can get while still being able to talk to the others.

If something knows we're out here, they may be able to drop something on us. If it's dropped from far enough up the wall, it could be deadly. I think we should stay clear of the wall and head for the village. We need to find that temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    I chose blue for anything I say in character.

4. - Top - End - #34

If they're expecting us, why didn't they set up a way to get in?

Looks like we check the village.

Erendale puts away his bow and steps back from the wall, still wary of any attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    We could also try digging our way in, since sand is easy to dig in, or we could find the resonant frequency of the brass and set of a large vibration at that frequency, or we could ...

I call dark red!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

How long are you going to stare at this stupid wall? Let's just head over to the village. If there's nothing of interest, you may stay at it from there, makes no difference to me...

Selin shakes his head in irritation and hopes his friends will soon lose interest of the damn wall.

6. - Top - End - #36

Since nobody else is taking charge, I walk off towards the village without saying a word.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

'Finally...' Selin agreees in his mind and follows Erendale.

8. - Top - End - #38

Watt falls in with the others and heads off towards the village.

Looks like you were right, Selin. I'm still wondering about that voice, though.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

He looks up the wall and searches for signs of guards patrolling them. Then he looks and Watt and shrugs.
    Dunno... maybe it was some magic warning. I don't speak Ape-ian or whatever.
    Selin gives him a smile and continues: We might get to know it soon, I think. So don't worry any further.

10. - Top - End - #40

ClericGuy

Tan follows closely behind the others as they walk towards the village.

Spoiler
    Show
    So these Ape-Sultans showed up and took over this town Karsh or Karth and built this giant brass wall around it. I'm guessing we need to get in there to find the temple in the town square?

11. - Top - End - #41

DwarfClericGuy

Rorik squinted as he looked upon the wall in the glaring sunlight. His beady little eyes straining to reach the top from underneath the ripped clothes he had tied around his forehead to keep the sun off.
    He grinned. Although he hated the sun and the sky and everyone that looked up and saw it instead of cool, dark, soothing earth and roots, he loved shiny things.

And walls were usually built to keep shiny things in, and people like him out.

He was wiping sweat from his brow and nose while circling this great waste of metal when he happened to look upon a few silhouettes in the shimmering distance. Their visages waving like spectres from the visible heat coming off the sands.

Rorik's eyes slitted, his muscles tensed. He shot a quick glance back towards the village he'd seen. Should he run? These could be the beasts that roamed the sands or Gods forbid, this wall.

His hand found it's way to his axe handle like a sow to mud, and he waited as they grew larger and closer...

12. - Top - End - #42

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mingus View Post
    Tan follows closely behind the others as they walk towards the village.

So these Ape-Sultans showed up and took over this town Karsh or Karth and built this giant brass wall around it. I'm guessing we need to get in there to find the temple in the town square?
    All of the stories you've heard describe the wall as circling the whole city, and the idol as being inside the city.

PS and fixed spelling..
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-04-30 at 02:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

SwashbucklerGuy

The village is so small, and its huts so ramshackle, that it could almost be a collection of rubbish that happened to be thrown together by the desert wind.

Several thin villagers watch you impassively. Their hands and sky-blue eyes are the only parts of them not robed in coarse cloth. Their weathered hands look more like leather than skin.

14. - Top - End - #44

As he approaches the village, Watt scratches the back of his head and places a hand on his brow, shielding his eyes from the sun.

Wow, this place looks really poor. Whose idea was to come here again?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Selin looks around the village, noticing nothing but trash and fatigued people. He whispers just loud enough for the group to hear:
    Damn it, it seems there are no beauties among the villagers...
    Maybe it really was a mistake coming here. I don't expect any wise old man with a mysterious key to the city to pop out of one of these huts...

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

Tan approaches the villagers slowly, showing empty palms. He smiles at them and hails them in Common to find out if they understand him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I tell if they're male or female? Any children with them? Can I see any indication of a source of food or water for these people?

17. - Top - End - #47

They appear harmless enough, but I learned long ago not to trust appearances and stay wary of an attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    If these people are so poor as they seem, they may be willing to kill us for our money.

I also intend to stay out of the diplomacy if possible. Charisma, and people, are not my fortes.

18. - Top - End - #48

As Taric steps in front of us with his hands raised in a gesture of peace, I lean over to the elf and whisper, in mock seriousness:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I think we should burn this pathetic village to the ground, take their food and torture them until they tell us everything they know about the brass city."

19. - Top - End - #49

If all else fails it is possible.

Its not like people wouldn't do it to us if we had information they needed.

20. - Top - End - #50

DwarfClericGuy

Rorik's muscles relax and his stubby fingers lay off of his weapon. Perhaps they were just apparitions, he wouldn't doubt he'd be seeing things with how long he's been wandering this desert.
    Best not to go following visions.
    They can lead you to things you don't wanna be around.
    Plus if they were traders they wouldn't have anything valuable on them, or not be very good traders at all to risk coming to this place.
    There's nothing to be made in the village except curses at whatever Gods could let something as horrible as it exist.
    He continued his surveillance.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Overhearing Watt's plans Selin rolls his eyes.

As much as I appreciate easy solutions to difficult problems... I don't think the riches of this village are even worth the oil to make the fire.

He pulls a silver coin from his wallet and grins widely.

As poor as they are, they'd probably give us all of their belongings for a piece of copper. But to be sure, I think I'll offer one of those. Also the ashes from burning the village will probably get us all dirty, too troublesome. Any complaints? No? Thanks.

He holds up the coin and shuts at the people among them:

Whoever understands what I'm saying: This valuable coin to anyone who tells us, how to get behind these damn wall!

... Subtlety never was Selin's best developed skill.

22. - Top - End - #52

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! Someone as subtle as me!

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mingus View Post
    Tan approaches the villagers slowly, showing empty palms. He smiles at them and hails them in Common to find out if they understand him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I tell if they're male or female? Any children with them? Can I see any indication of a source of food or water for these people?
    The people don't respond to your greeting. They're all tall enough to be adults - gender unknown. You can't see any indication of food or water.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-05-01 at 11:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Whoever understands what I'm saying: This valuable coin to anyone who tells us, how to get behind these damn wall!
    The villagers' eyes widen at the sight of the coin.

They point eagerly towards one of the shacks, which is slightly bigger than the others.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-05-01 at 11:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Piece of cake. Money's the most common language, isn't it?

With a hearty laugh he throws the coin on the ground in front of some villagers. Then he turns towards his fellows.

Alright, first round was on me. But whoever is in this hut, one of you guys will bribe him!

He looks around among the party and the village and waits for any comments.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hehe... I hope I didn't ruin someone else's plan to get them to talk ^^'

26. - Top - End - #56

Fine, I'll do it.

Erendale takes a silver piece out of his pocket and approaces the indicated shack. If no one stops him, he enters the building.

27. - Top - End - #57

ClericGuy

Don't be fooled by their response. It's possible they understand everything we're saying. Isn't it curious that they manage to stay alive out here in the middle of nothing? What do they eat?

28. - Top - End - #58

Keeping his voice low and talking to Selin, Watt whispers:

Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't a plan, Selin. It was entertainment.

I'll start to walk towards the hut with Erendale. One hand on my sword hilt, the other on my purse.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Tan, could you just stop seeing ghouls wherever we go? Remember when came across this graveyard on our way here? We had to make a half days delay cause you were afraid we might be walking into a trap.
    Grinning Selin punches the other cleric on his shoulder and then walks to follow Erendale. When he's next to Watt he hears his whispers and responds in a low volume.
    Hey, when I say it's a plan, it's a plan.... Haha, and even if it wasn't it got us forward, didn't it?

Spoiler
    Show

Reconsidering my stats I wonder... why did I make CHA my dump stat? (no, I didn't want to be like O'Chul... I have to cut back on my actions, I'm afraid ^^***

30. - Top - End - #60

ClericGuy

I can guess what the queen's reaction would be if we showed up without the idol. I'd rather die here. And it's hardly paranoid to wonder how someone can stay alive out here. They must have some connection to Karth, or they wouldn't be here. At least we seem to be on the right track.