New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Aeon Reborn (ritual)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements
    • Class: Summoner 11th level or Priest 15th level
    • Skills: 15 ranks in Concentration, Knowledge (religion), & Spellcraft

Ritual Benefits
    During this ritual, the volunteer must lay still in a specially-prepared sarcophagus (50,000gp) while the ritual’s performer chants over it continuously for 8 hours. The chant requires a Concentration check (DC25) after each hour, as well as the expenditure of 25MP after each successful check; if a check is unsuccessful, then the ritual must continue for 1 additional hour to succeed; if 2 consecutive checks are unsuccessful, then the ritual fails. This ritual provokes attacks of opportunity.

Once the ritual is successfully completed (200MP total spent), the performer takes 2d6 Constitution damage & is exhausted. The volunteer is transformed into an Aeon, a bizarre creature that can be called to fight for a summoner. It loses nearly all aspects of its former life; its alignment becomes True Neutral, & it loses all class levels, hit dice, save bonuses, magic points, class abilities, skill ranks, feats, spells, & experience points; only it’s most basic memories remain. It even re-rolls its ability scores (or uses the elite array). For all intents & purposes, the volunteer is reborn into a 1st level character, only this time as an Outsider (Aeon 1).
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-23 at 06:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (All Races, All Classes, All Monsters, Blitzball, & MORE!)

Aeon (Monster Class)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Aeon only.

Alignment: True Neutral only.

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: The Aeon’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (8 + Intelligence modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 2d6+8.

Aeon Starting Package
    • Armor: N/A
    • Weapons: heavy mace (1d8, 20/×2, 8lbs, bludgeoning)
    • Skill Selection: pick a number of skills equal to 8 + Intelligence modifier
    • Feat: Power Attack
    • Gear: N/A
    • Gold: 0gp

Table 1-11: The Aeon (Monster Class)
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Average MP
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Aeon Form|15
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|--|30
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Natural Armor|45
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|--|60
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Aeon Boost|75
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|--|90
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|--|105
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Natural Weapon|120
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|--|135
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|--|150
    11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Aeon Shield|165
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|--|180
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|--|195
    14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|Size Increase|210
    15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|--|225
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|--|240
    17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Immortality|255
    18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|--|270
    19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|--|285
    20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Lost Opportunities|300[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Aeon. See level progression on Table 1-11: The Aeon (Monster Class) for more information.

NOTE: The Aeon monster class allows for Aeons to take Aeon prestige classes at any time once they are eligible to do so. Aeon’s may freely multi-class between the Aeon monster class & the Aeon prestige class of their choice. They cannot multi-class into any other base class, prestige class, monster class, paragon class, or any other type of class. Aeons cannot choose to take more than 1 Aeon prestige class. Once they have completed the Aeon prestige classes of their choice, the Aeon can only progress by advancing in the Aeon monster class.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: you are proficient with all simple & martial weapons, but not with any type of armor or shield

Aeon Form: at 1st level, you become an Aeon; your type becomes [Outsider] & your subtype becomes [Aeon] (see Creature Subtypes: Aeon, below); as such, you gain Darkvision out to 60’; in addition, you do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish); lastly, your body & soul are fused into one unit, & therefore spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, & resurrection, don’t work on you; it takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore you to life

Natural Armor (Su): at 3rd level, you gain a natural armor bonus to your AC equal to ½ your HD; in addition, you can add your Constitution bonus (if any) to your AC; these bonuses do not apply against touch attacks, & you lose the bonuses when you wear any armor, or when you carry a shield

Aeon Boost (Su): at 5th level, you can choose, as a swift action, to lower your defenses for 1 round; during that round, all damage sustained by you is multiplied by 1.5; because of this, all Overdrive Points (OP’s) accrued during that round are multiplied by 3

Natural Weapon (Ex): at 8th level, you gain a natural weapon; you may choose either a claw attack (slashing), stab attack (piercing), or slam attack (bludgeoning) upon gaining this feature; once your choice has been made, it cannot be changed; this natural weapon deals damage based on your size (Fine 1, Diminutive 1d2, Tiny 1d3, Small 1d4, Medium 1d6, Large 1d8, Huge 2d6, Gargantuan 2d8, Colossal 4d6; critical 20/×2); once you gain this natural weapon, you can no longer use manufactured weapons with your hands, as they have become unsuitable for the purpose of wielding them

Aeon Shield (Su): at 11th level, you can choose, as a swift action, to raise your defenses for 1 round; during that round, all damage sustained by you is reduced by 75%; because of this, you cannot accrue Overdrive Points (OP’s) during that round

Size Increase (Su): at 14th level, your size permanently increases by one size category; for stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 4-1: New Size Statistics; this ability does not change your speed; if insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you; you, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size; no worn or carried equipment by you is enlarged by the effect; clothing & armor are destroyed by the transformation; magical effects that increase size stack with this ability, so the use of spells to increase size further are effective

Immortality (Ex): at 17th level, you no longer take penalties to your ability scores for aging & cannot be magically aged; any such penalties that you have already taken, however, remain in place; bonuses no longer accrue either, but you do not die of old age when your time is up, & in fact your maximum age no longer exists as a meaningful statistic

Lost Opportunities (Su): at 20th level, opponents can no longer make attacks of opportunity against you; even if you are flat-footed or otherwise denied your Dexterity bonus to your AC, all attacks of opportunity made against you automatically fail; the only time that an attack of opportunity can be made successfully against you is when you are immobilized, helpless, or when you lose your natural armor bonus by wearing armor or using a shield

Design Note: I purposefully designed the Aeon Monster Class to have a number of dead levels. This mostly offsets the many other benefits of the class (mainly from being an Outsider): full BAB, all good saves, high skill points, & maximum MP/level. This lack of class features should (in theory) balance with their high numerical advantages, so that an Aeon should only be about as powerful as a PC of equal HD.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-04-10 at 01:14 AM. Reason: adjusting MP

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Table 4-1: New Size Statistics
    EDIT: This has been put into a spoiler as it is a large table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Base Size|New Size|Strength*|Dexterity*|Constitution*|Hit Dice|Natural Armor*|AC & Attack Bonuses*|Space*|Reach (Tall/Long)*|Ave. Size Incr.|Ave. Weight Incr.|Grapple Mod.|Hide Mod.
    Fine|Diminutive|+1 (+½)|-2 (-1)|same|+½|same|-4 (size)|+½’|+0’/+0’|+6”|+1/2 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Diminutive|Tiny|+2 (+1)|-2 (-1)|same|+1|same|-2 (size)|+1½’|+0’/+0’|+9”|+5 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Tiny|Small|+4 (+2)|-2 (-1)|+1 (+½)|+1|same|-1 (size)|+2½’|+5’/+5’|+18”|+36 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Small|Medium|+6 (+3)|-2 (-1)|+2 (+1)|+2|+1|-1 (size)|+0’|+0’/+0’|+3’|+240 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Medium|Large|+8 (+4)|-2 (-1)|+4 (+2)|+2|+2|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+0’|+6’|+2000 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Large|Huge|+8 (+4)|-2 (-1)|+4 (+2)|+2|+3|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+12’|+8 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Huge|Gargantuan|+8 (+4)|same|+4 (+2)|+2|+4|-2 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+24’|+80 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Gargantuan|Colossal|+8 (+4)|same|+4 (+2)|+2|+5|-4 (size)|+10’|+10’/+5’|+48’|+200 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Colossal|Colossal|same|same|same|same|same|same|sa me|same|same|same|same|same[/table]

*-These values are primarily taken from the SRD, & are used to increase the size of a given creature by 1 category to the best of my ability.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-29 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added spoiler

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ok...I have a couple questions on teh Aeons. Are you intending this to be a player behind the controlls, assuming if you are it would be the summoner that is controlling the Aeon, correct?

Also, any chance we'd get to see some of the FFX Aeons worked up in this mold like Valefor, Ifrit, Shiva, ect...

Also, I Know this is set up to get the Aeons in line with other, "normal" classes since the rest of the party will be out there too...but these just seem very weak compaired to the Aeons in the game unless some of your origonal character abilities have effect on your Aeon form. Again, this is all running on assumption so if I'm invisioning this wrong, tell me to STFU and ya won't hurt my fealings :)

When you, or whoever, become an Aeon I assume you automatically take on the Aeon monster class, correct? What I would do is set the Aeon classes BAB against the origonal creatures BAB. Yes, that would require another chart, but luckly I don't think any of the Aeon had Bad BAB, just mediocre. So, I'd say that if your "Base" BAB was either poor(Wizard ect...) or Medium(monk ect...) you get Median BAB, where as if you had full BAB(Fighter) or or had multied and had better than median(Monk/Fighter cross class) you get Full BAB as an Aeon.

Also, not all Aeons were good casters. In all honesty Ifrit, Valefor & Ixion sucked on their basic spell progressions/selection. They either had low damage output on spells(Valefor) or had a low selection of spells to choose from(Ifrit/Ixion and also Jecht). I'd put in a caviat in the ritual that a basic Aeon monster class has an amount of MP based on his Hero classes. If a character had a full caster class(Wiz/Sorc/Cleric/Druid/ect...) and became an Aeon they'd have the full MP progression listed above. But if they were a partial or non-caster, their MP progression would be cut to, say 5d4 + 20 instead.

One other question, this time more relating to the ritual it's self. It looks like this is meant to be a PC that comes up and sacrifices his character(bored with it, can't keep coming, ect...) to become an Aeon. Will this work with Cohorts from the Leadership feat? Can your cohort "decide" (s)he want's to become your Aeon and allow you to perform the ritual on them? If not, you might want to clarify where the host person for the Aeon comes from, be it a Diplomacy check with a group of people, or what have you.

Sorry to chew your ear off. I love what you have so far, just some thoughts that came to mind when I saw the class.
    Crimson Towers Races(Homebrew PEACH stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhilarity View Post
    "Now, why, specifically, would I need the feats in order to gain this next one in the progression?"

"Because you need to be able to preform the skills required in order to do it"

"So, particular names of the skills aside, if I were able to do these things (Rapid Shot + Many Shot) I might be able to pull off a skill exactly the same as Greater Many Shot, even if, say, I called it by it's name in SWAHILI?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

No, Aleron, it's quite alright. As these rules are a bit different than standard D&D, perhaps I should explain just how they are meant to be used & what they are designed to accomplish.

The Aeon Monster Class is meant to create a powerful NPC that a Summoner can take control of temporarily for added firepower, just like in FFX (or any FF game with Espers/Summons/Guardian Forces/Eidolons/whatever). It's not really for PCs to play as, because Aeons don't usually have any free will. They are essentially genies-in-a-bottle, appearing to grant wishes (as long as you only wish your enemies dead). Also, the Aeons that a Summoner calls are really only powerful because they are high-class-level creatures, so as to maintain a balance with other classes (even other monster classes).

As for the Aeons that you encounter in the game (Valefor, Ifrit, etc.), the upcoming Aeon Prestige Classes are each meant to emulate one of them. Please refer to the Table of Contents for specific listings.

Regarding convincing NPCs to submit to becoming Aeons, I'd say it would be difficult, if not impossible, to do so. You're essentially asking a character to give up their life & become an immortal slave that exist to serve in combat, with the only benefit being the promise that they will be set loose against Sin. I can hardly think of a less appealing bargain. Only the most dedicated, driven, obsessed characters would even consider such a sacrifice. Convincing someone to knowingly do this should require an insane Diplomacy check (DC45+). Even knowingly volunteering should probably require a Will save (DC25+). I mean, this is more than suicide; even more than martyrdom. This is eternal servitude, & should be treated seriously as such. No cohort would knowingly agree to such a thing (all evil PCs should note the repeated use of the word "knowingly").

Yes, all of the Aeons had differing spellcasting power, & I may choose to alter the MP/level of the prestige classes to reflect that, but this monster class is designed to offer a consistent base upon which to build a number of epic-level monsters for a Summoner to unleash upon their enemies, if only for a short time.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

For the record, I recently changed the following class features (again) so that they now explicitly depend upon less powerful abilities, so as to better define what powers can be acquired by the Class Feature class feature (which is not only fun to say, but has become just as problematic an ability):
    • Pugilist: Slowga (based on Slow), Hastega (based on Haste)
    • Ronin: Sentinel (based on Guard)
    • Blitzer: Dark Buster (based on Dark Attack), Silence Buster (based on Silence Attack), Sleep Buster (based on Sleep Attack), Triple Foul (based on Dark Attack, Silence Attack & Sleep Attack)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    No, Aleron, it's quite alright. As these rules are a bit different than standard D&D, perhaps I should explain just how they are meant to be used & what they are designed to accomplish.

The Aeon Monster Class is meant to create a powerful NPC that a Summoner can take control of temporarily for added firepower, just like in FFX (or any FF game with Espers/Summons/Guardian Forces/Eidolons/whatever). It's not really for PCs to play as, because Aeons don't usually have any free will. They are essentially genies-in-a-bottle, appearing to grant wishes (as long as you only wish your enemies dead). Also, the Aeons that a Summoner calls are really only powerful because they are high-class-level creatures, so as to maintain a balance with other classes (even other monster classes).

As for the Aeons that you encounter in the game (Valefor, Ifrit, etc.), the upcoming Aeon Prestige Classes are each meant to emulate one of them. Please refer to the Table of Contents for specific listings.

Regarding convincing NPCs to submit to becoming Aeons, I'd say it would be difficult, if not impossible, to do so. You're essentially asking a character to give up their life & become an immortal slave that exist to serve in combat, with the only benefit being the promise that they will be set loose against Sin. I can hardly think of a less appealing bargain. Only the most dedicated, driven, obsessed characters would even consider such a sacrifice. Convincing someone to knowingly do this should require an insane Diplomacy check (DC45+). Even knowingly volunteering should probably require a Will save (DC25+). I mean, this is more than suicide; even more than martyrdom. This is eternal servitude, & should be treated seriously as such. No cohort would knowingly agree to such a thing (all evil PCs should note the repeated use of the word "knowingly").

Yes, all of the Aeons had differing spellcasting power, & I may choose to alter the MP/level of the prestige classes to reflect that, but this monster class is designed to offer a consistent base upon which to build a number of epic-level monsters for a Summoner to unleash upon their enemies, if only for a short time.
    I think I get where your coming from on this. Basically the Aeon's from FFX are the result of massive experence gain on the part of the Aeon, where as this is where most of the Aeon's started as. Ok. Thanks for the clear up, wasn't sure exactly how you meant to work the Aeon's, but I think this will work pretty good. :)

On the DIplo DC, I'd honestly set it upwards of 50-55 as the BASE dc. I just wanted to make sure you'd thought about that aspect of it. :)
    "Now, why, specifically, would I need the feats in order to gain this next one in the progression?"

"So, particular names of the skills aside, if I were able to do these things (Rapid Shot + Many Shot) I might be able to pull off a skill exactly the same as Greater Many Shot, even if, say, I called it by it's name in SWAHILI?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nifty idea and pretty clear, consistent application. I just have a few questions and notes.

The Pugilist's crippling strike references sneak attack, which seems wrong, as it doesn't have a sneak attack ability. You should detail under what circumstances it can be used.

A whole lot of abilities are tied to Fortitude saves, especially magical ones. Is this a deliberate attempt to make hardy creatures resistant to both stabbing and exploding?

It strikes me that special abilities that are equivalent to a melee attack ought to take a standard action. Else, you have to effectively start next to an enemy in order to use such attacks such as lancet (yes, 10 feet away, or 15 if you're a Ronso, but I think the principle still applies).

Anyway, I think overall, it looks good. Can't wait to see more.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Winged Fayth (“Valefor” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Race: Aeon only.
    • Alignment: True Neutral only.
    • Skill: Climb 8 ranks
    • Feat: Mobility

Fastest Route: Aeon 5

Class Information

Class Skills: The Winged Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Table 1-12: The Winged Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Flight|22.5
    2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Elemental Mage|45
    3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Hover|67.5
    4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Mark of Status|90
    5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Sonic Wings|112.5[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Winged Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-12: The Winged Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Flight (Ex): at 1st level, your arms permanently transform into wings, granting you the power of flight; you gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed + 60’ (average maneuverability); as your wings cannot be used as arms, you lose the ability to use manufactured weapons; you also take a -10 penalty to some skills (Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, & Use Rope) or any other activity that uses your hands; any claw or slam attack natural weapon is also lost, but is replaced with a bite attack natural weapon with the same damage as your previous one

Elemental Mage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some element-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Blizzard (4MP), Fire (4MP), Thunder (4MP), & Water (4MP); you cast these like a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Hover (Ex): at 3rd level, you gain Hover as a bonus monster feat

Mark of Status (Su): at 4th level, you gain a resistance bonus equal to your HD to all saving throws to defend against acquiring a negative status effect (all except Hasted &/or Regen; see Status Effects, above)

Sonic Wings (Su): at 5th level, you can beat your wings with deadly force while hovering; all creatures within 30’ take sonic damage equal to 1d8 + your Strength modifier & a -5 Initiative penalty for the next round; if a creature makes a Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage & negate the Initiative penalty; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:27 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Burning Fayth (“Ifrit” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Skill: Jump 11 ranks
    • Feat: Improved Bull Rush

Fastest Route: Aeon 8

Class Information

Class Skills: The Burning Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 4d4.

Table 1-13: The Burning Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Form of Flames|30
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Fire Mage|60
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Size Increase|90
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Mark of Status|120
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Meteor Strike|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Burning Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-13: The Burning Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Form of Flames (Su): at 1st level, you become a fiery being; you gain the [Fire] subtype, meaning that you have immunity to fire damage & vulnerability to cold damage, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold-based attacks, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure; also, any fire-based damage actually restores HP equal to the amount of damage that it would normally inflict

Fire Mage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some fire-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Fire (4MP), NulBlaze (2MP), & NulFrost (2MP); you cast these like a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Size Increase (Su): at 3rd level, your size permanently increases by one size category; for stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 4-1: New Size Statistics; this ability does not change your speed; if insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you; you, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size; no worn or carried equipment by you is enlarged by the effect; clothing & armor are destroyed by the transformation; magical effects that increase size stack with this ability, so the use of spells to increase size further are effective

Mark of Status (Su): at 4th level, you gain a resistance bonus equal to your HD to all saving throws to defend against acquiring a negative status effect (all except Hasted &/or Regen; see Status Effects, above)

Meteor Strike (Su): at 5th level, you can blast your enemies with concussive flames; this is a special ranged attack (your BAB + your Dexterity modifier + 5; no size modifier) on a single opponent within 30’ that deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage + 2d6 fire damage; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier) for half damage; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:28 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can't wait to see the other PrCs.

Yup, no comments right now.

Just stealing the 100th reply.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2008-05-25 at 11:41 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I just came across this thread and spent all morning reading it. All I can say is WOW! This is truly a solid conversion and I may end up trying it on size with my group once you've finished.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DLoFunk View Post
    I just came across this thread and spent all morning reading it. All I can say is WOW! This is truly a solid conversion and I may end up trying it on size with my group once you've finished.
    Well, thank you. It's always nice to see a new fan. Well, I'd suggest that you wait until the project is near completion before copying down the material, as it is being constantly updated & revised. Speaking of which...
    • Crippling Strike has been re-written to remove references to Sneak Attack.
    • Delay Buster has been re-written to depend upon Delay Attack.
    • Zombie Attack has been re-written to reference the Zombie status effect.
    • The Lancer's starting package has been revised to use a longspear instead of a shortspear.
    • Most importantly, I've added links to all of the entries that reference other entries &/or outside material such as the SRD.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I gotta say, this is a fantastic idea. I've been working on some Final Fantasy stuff of my own, and this FFX d20 project (and your Limit Breaks) are definitely going to see use in my campaigns.

One thing troubles me, about the Aeons: if I remember correctly, Monster Classes have to be played from start to finish (it's been a while since I read Savage Species, so I might be wrong) before you can multiclass. Just looking over the Aeons, would I be correct in assuming that they can multiclass freely between the Monster Class and the Prestige Classes?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quick question; isn't it redundant for the Aeon PrC's to require both an Aeon race and True Neutral alignment? Not that that extra bit is detrimental in any way, I'm just wondering if it's unnecessary or if Aeons can somehow have their alignment shifted from True Neutral...?

Also, is it completely accurate to say that Aeons don't have free will based on game canon? Because IIRC (It's been a long time...) Aeons voluntarily give their power to the summoner. Yuna seems to make requests of them more often than demands (Although that may just be her nature). And then there's Yojimbo and the Magus Sisters...
    Last edited by Soup of Kings; 2008-05-26 at 02:04 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

@ kwanzaabot: I need to make it more clear, but you're right, this is a special monster class that ignores that multi-classing rule. I designed this class to allow the addition of an Aeon prestige class at any time once they are eligible to do so, as a trade-off for their lack of options in most other respects. Aeons do not have many class features (although the ones they do have are powerful), they spend most of their time in a timeless trans-dimensional pocket, they have little free will, a very limited alignment, & are generally unsuitable for non-combat situations (no sneaking around or charming the guards for these monstrosities).

So I threw them a bone, allowing them to take special Aeon prestige classes, & even made the requirements to do so rather easy for them to acquire. This also prevents every Ifrit & Bahamut from being a 25th-level monster (Aeon 20/Fayth 5); there is room for variety & power differences. None of this was made clear though, so I will edit the Aeon section to include this clause mose explicitly.

NOTE: I do not want this to become another alignment discussion thread. If anyone wants to have Aeons of a different philosophical color, then that is your choice. But I will not waste any time further discussing the appropriateness of neutrally-aligned Aeons. Aeons are Neutral, Fiends are Chaotic Evil, & that is that.

@ SoK: I suppose it may be redundant, but requiring a True Neutral alignment keeps most players from saying, "My Aeon's CE now, so my Summoner orders it to stop fighting Sin & go rape those villagers over there." It also prevents them from being affected by most alignment-oriented magic. And their neutrality is important, as they serve many masters, from the virtuous Yuna to the villainous Seymore.

And the lack of free will is canonical, based on their behavior in-game. Seymore's nameless mother gives up her life to become Anima so that her son would have a potent Aeon. She later realizes what an omnicidal psychopath he is, so her fayth asks Tidus & Company to kill Seymore for her. Anima-as-Aeon couldn't do anything to stop him; only Anima-as-fayth could act against him, & all she could do was ask someone else to do it. Aeons will fight against the party (as with Belgamine, Isaaru, etc.) just as easily as fight for it, so it stands to reason that they do the bidding of whoever summons them, like the aforementioned genie.

Also, Aeons wouldn't need a summoner to call them to fight Sin if they had free will; they could do so (or not) on their own. Summoned monsters are assumed to fight on the behalf of the spellcasters who call them, & Aeons are really no different.

This lack of freedom also forces the player to accept responsibility for their Aeon's actions. A PC summoner can't just say, "My Aeon's CE, so that's why he raped all those villagers. My summoner is still LG, see?" It doesn't work like that. A summoner chooses what an Aeon does, & therefore is ultimately culpable for the resulting events. The Aeon, a True Neutral bound entity, is not.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Shocking Fayth (“Ixion” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Skill: Balance 14 ranks
    • Feats: Endurance, Run

Fastest Route: Aeon 11

Class Information

Class Skills: The Shocking Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.

MP per Level: 1d6+4.

Table 1-14: The Shocking Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Form of Thunder|22.5
    2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Lightning Mage|45
    3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Size Increase|67.5
    4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Mark of Status|90
    5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Aerospark|112.5[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Shocking Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-14: The Shocking Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Form of Thunder (Su): at 1st level, you become an electric being; you gain the [Lightning] subtype, meaning that you have immunity to electricity damage & vulnerability to water (force) damage, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from water-based attacks, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure; also, any electricity-based damage actually restores HP equal to the amount of damage that it would normally inflict

Lightning Mage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some lightning-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Thunder (4MP), Thundara (8MP), NulShock (2MP), & NulTide (2MP); you cast these like a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Size Increase (Su): at 3rd level, your size permanently increases by one size category; for stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 4-1: New Size Statistics; this ability does not change your speed; if insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you; you, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size; no worn or carried equipment by you is enlarged by the effect; clothing & armor are destroyed by the transformation; magical effects that increase size stack with this ability, so the use of spells to increase size further are effective

Aerospark (Su): at 5th level, you can blast your enemies with shocking energy; this is a special ranged attack (your BAB + your Dexterity modifier + 5; no size modifier) on a single opponent within 30’ that deals 2d6 electricity damage & suffer a dispel effect (opponent loses all positive conditions such as ability boosts from spells or spell-like effects, haste effects, hastega effects, nul effects (including mighty guard), shell effects, protect effects, reflect effects, & regen effects); if a creature makes a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage & negate the dispel effect; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added link

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

You may have noticed some changed over the holiday. I've been busy tweaking things, making them as balanced & resonable as possible, & unfortunately that necessitated making some changes to all of the PC classes. The changes are rather minor, albeit numerous.

Most of the tweaks involved changing many class features so that they only take a standard action to execute, as opposed to a full-round action (how could I miss that?). Obviously, this would effect some classes more than others. Here is a full list of the abilities that this effects:
    • Pugilist: Cheer, Haste, Provoke, Delay Attack, Slow, Slowga, Delay Buster, Hastega, & Quick Hit
    • Summoner: Cure, Esuna, Nul, Pray, Cura, Shell, Protect, Reflect, Dispel, Curaga, & Regen
    • Ronin: Power Break, Magic Break, Threaten, Armor Break, Mental Break, & Entrust
    • Lancer: Lancet & Jinx
    • Blitzer: Aim, Drain, & Osmose
    • Black Mage: Thunder, Water, Blizzard, Fire, Focus, Thundara, Watera, Blizzara, Fira, Reflex, Bio, Demi, Death, Thundaga, Waterga, Blizzaga, & Firaga
    • Bandit: Luck & Spare Change

More noticeably, I also added pictures to the various race, class & Aeon entries. I think that this is a nice bonus, jazzing up the project's appearance. It is also hopefully appease certain vocal proponents of such visual enhancements (EvilElitist, I'm looking at you). I hope that these pictures help everyone get a feel for the world of Spira.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-27 at 10:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

You might want to add atribute modifiers to the DCs for class features that inflict statuses, allow saves for half damage etc. otherwise the DCs are going to be quite low. It also gives some point to having mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha) other than skill bonuses for the spellcasting classes

Also it might be an idea to make aeons large to start with. All the aeons in the game (except Mindy and maybe the other Magus sisters and Yojimbo) are at least the size of Ronso, which you have classed as large
    Last edited by Drglenn; 2008-05-27 at 07:29 PM.
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Freezing Fayth (“Shiva” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Skill: Sense Motive 17 ranks
    • Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative

Fastest Route: Aeon 14

Class Information

Class Skills: The Freezing Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

MP per Level: 4d4.

Table 1-15: The Freezing Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|Form of Ice|30
    2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Cold Mage|60
    3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|Frozen Flesh|90
    4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Mark of Status|120
    5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|Heavenly Strike|150[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Freezing Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-15: The Freezing Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Form of Ice (Su): at 1st level, you become an icy being; you gain the [Cold] subtype, meaning that you have immunity to cold damage & vulnerability to fire damage, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire-based attacks, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure; also, any cold-based damage actually restores HP equal to the amount of damage that it would normally inflict

Cold Mage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some cold-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Blizzard (4MP), Blizzara (4MP), NulBlaze (2MP), & NulFrost (2MP); you cast these like a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Frozen Flesh (Su): at 3rd level, your flesh becomes rimed with frost, granting you a natural armor bonus equal to ¼th of your HD; this bonus does not apply against touch attacks; in addition, any creature that touches you (either through an unarmed melee attack, a touch attack, a grapple, or some other direct physical contact) suffers 1d4 cold damage per round (no saving throw); you lose these bonuses when you wear any armor

Heavenly Strike (Su): at 5th level, you can blast your enemies with a frozen touch; this is a special melee attack (your BAB + your Strength modifier + 5; no size modifier) on a single opponent within 30’ that deals 2d6 cold damage + your Strength modifier & a -5 Initiative penalty for the next round; if a creature makes a Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your Wisdom modifier), then they only take half damage & negate the Initiative penalty; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragon Fayth (“Bahamut” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Skill: Survival 20 ranks
    • Feats: Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush

Fastest Route: Aeon 17

Class Information

Class Skills: The Dragon Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

Table 1-16: The Dragon Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Flight|37.5
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Elemental Archmage|75
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Size Increase|112.5
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Mark of Status|150
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Impulse|187.5[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Dragon Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-16: The Dragon Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Flight (Ex): at 1st level, you grow a pair of wings, granting you the power of flight; you gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed + 30’ (poor maneuverability); you retain the use of your arms, which you may still use as normal

Elemental Archmage (Sp): at 2nd level, you gain some element-related spell-like abilities; you can now cast Blizzard (4MP), Blizzara (8MP), Blizzaga (16MP), Fire (4MP), Fira (8MP), Firaga (16MP), Scan (1MP), Thunder (4MP), Thundara (8MP), Thundaga (16MP), Water (4MP), Watera (8MP), & Waterga (16MP); you cast these like a Lancer or a Black Mage with a class level equal to your HD; you do not need any somatic components to cast these, but you must spend the MP cost to cast such abilities

Impulse (Su): at 5th level, you can blast your enemies with a potent magical pulse; all opponents within 40’ take force damage equal to 3d8 + your Strength modifier (no saving throw); this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Considering Bahamut's Impulse attack is epic (Minimum level 17 +5 PrC), I think 2d8+str force damage is a little low. Especially since you're not going to find many huge groups of enemies to get into that 50' cone to actually get a decent total damage number either.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Oh, I like Bahamut! I would possible give him a good fort save as well, and consider at 5th lvl giving him an actual dragon sub-type. Also I'd consider giving him access to Ultima at lvl 5. I think he could actuall cast that, but I could be wrong.

I know that would make him considerably more powerfull than the other Aeon's...but that's the way it was. The only Aeons that could compete with him were Anima & the Magus Sisters.

Also, were you considering making their overdrives into feats or something?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

@ Lochar: I have buffed up Bahamut's Impulse ability. You're right, by default he is near-epic & should pwn thusly. It has been fixed.

@ Aleron: I have noticed a bad typo in the saving throws for most of the Aeons. It has been fixed.

There is no [Dragon] subtype, & the [Dragon] type is not appropriate for Aeons, either mechanically or thematically. Bahamut is only dragon-like is general appearance, & his resemblance to true dragons is only passing at best, no more than a human vaguely resembles an orc.

Before asking any other questions, please refer to the Table of Contents. There is an entry for Overdrives, which for the record, will be mostly updated variants on the system I original devised for Final Fantasy Limit Breaks (see my signature).
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-05-29 at 10:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

You might want to make Impulse only do damage to enemies, with the current wording it would do damage to itself and any allies around it
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Samurai Fayth (“Yojimbo” Monster PrC)
    Spoiler
    Show

Requirements
    • Skill: Listen 23 ranks
    • Feats: Power Attack, quick Draw, Self-Sufficient

Fastest Route: Aeon 20

Class Information

Class Skills: The Samurai Fayth’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), & Tumble (Dex).

MP per Level: 1d6+4.

Table 1-17: The Samurai Fayth (Monster PrC)
    1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|Armed & Dangerous, Daigoro|22.5
    2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Kozuka|45
    3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Size Increase|67.5
    4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|Mark of Status|90
    5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|Wakizashi, Free Summons|112.5[/table]

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Samurai Fayth. See level progression on Table 1-17: The Samurai Fayth (Monster PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain proficiency with all simple & martial weapons, & with all armor (heavy, medium, & light), but not shields

Armed & Dangerous (Ex): at 1st level, you regain the ability to use manufactured weapons, as well as wear armor without losing your natural armor bonus; you still cannot use shields, though

Daigoro (Su): at 1st level, you gain an animal companion in the form of Daigoro (dire wolf statistics); up to once per round, you can command Daigoro to make a special slam attack (+11 melee; 1d8+10 bludgeoning damage) to 1 opponent within 50’ of your companion; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity for either you or Daigoro
    Kozuka (Su): at 2nd level, you can conjure daggers of magical energy to throw at your enemies; throwing a magical knife is a special ranged attack (your BAB + your Dexterity modifier + 10; no size modifier) on a single opponent that deals 2d8 force damage; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Wakizashi (Su): at 5th level, you can slice your enemies with stunning speed; you can make melee attacks against 1d4-1 opponents (minimum 1) within 30’, using your full BAB & dealing maximized damage to all; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Free Summons (Ex): at 5th level, you are free to act as you will when you are called by a summoner to battle; you are no longer compelled to act as your summoner wishes, although you must make a Will save (DC20 + the summoner’s class level) each round that you refuse to attack your summoner’s enemies at all; you can even negotiate the price or your services with your summoner; you still cannot dismiss yourself however, so you must wait for an encounter to end or for your summoner to dismiss you to return to your transdimensional pocket
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-02-13 at 11:39 PM. Reason: adjusting MP

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

On Yojimbo: "Free Summons" is what I was thinking when I used Yojimbo as an example of a free-willed aeon. Also, no Zanmato...? Also also, "You can even negotiate the price or your services with your summoner; you still cannot dismiss yourself however." IIRC, didn't he dismiss himself if you refused to pay him?

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I just reread through the aeon stuff and came up against a conundrum (although I'm sure that I just didn't read well enough).

Translating what happened in FFX to D&D, Yuna (a 1st level summoner) came complete with the ability to summon what was essentially an Aeon 5/Winged Faith 5.

There is probably some CR limitation that you put in (either in the summoner or in the description) that I am not seeing.

however, continuing under the assumption that there is no clear CR limitation, it seems that the only thing stopping you from gaining a crazily powerful aeon is a spellcraft check (and let's face it, there are just too many ways to optimize a skill check).

As this campaign setting will to work not only with Spira (as written in the game) but with several other worlds making use of these rules to get a similar feel, I suggest a feat to let summoners detect the direction to the nearest cloister of trials. In this way, you will also be able to find out-of-the-way aeons (such as yojimbo and anima in FFX).

Edit: A feat may not be necessary but a knowledge (religion) DC to have heard of cloisters of trials would certainly be welcome.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2008-05-31 at 11:25 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know if there is any such CR limitation, but I think I do remember him saying somewhere that Yuna wouldn't have been treated as a first level summoner since she was training to be a summoner for some time before meeting Tidus et al. I'm too lazy to go search for the quote, but yeah...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not to make your job harder or anything, but I was wondering if there were any plans to incorporate the dress-spheres from FFX-2? (at the very least the special ones, i'd kill for a Machina Maw prestige class- my favourite class, liek evar).

Again, I know you've got heaps to do already, but it just occurred to me that some people would want a post-Sin campaign, or at the very least, bikini-clad Al Bhed chicks piloting giant(ish) robots.