New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 105 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 95

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    As regards this update: I note that Wanda has simply assumed command in a real sense. She doesn't even think of asking Parson. So Parson might have to rein her in if she actually unleashes that spell (if she even can, given Parson's recent order to all units--if she can, that raises some interesting questions about her status, or maybe about what she considers an attack...).

At least one part of me wonders if she isn't intending to go out in a blaze of glory.
    1) It's quite possible that Wanda didn't get the order (if no one thought to tell the catatonic caster)

2) Wanda may have decided that attacking was better for Stanley than not attacking. Given that she is a commander, she is compelled to work for his best interest (not Parson's). In fact, when confronted with Jillian's stated goal, she may no longer have had much choice.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Huh? The "AYBABTU" balloon has a pointer to the point where the column of ZAP meets the floor (it may be a bit difficult to see at first glance given the light-colored background).

The panel doesn't have any clear scale cues, but in context it's apparently a section of the tower balcony floor (and thus not all that large).
    Simple my boy, that pillar is where she's AT. Coming down from above to fill her with power, or blasting up from some nether depth to grant her a dark dominion it makes no difference, she's standing on that floor in the center of that pillar of doomish light.
    360lb RTS/wargamer. Fantasy world of his own construction. Perfect Warlord summoning. One day...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jmsl View Post
    it saddens me that she may be our true villain.
    When was she not one? When it came to begging that Jillian not be croaked? She's been pretty manipulative on the whole.

She clearly still had either plans or feelings for Jillian, but rather than letting her ex leave she's going to attack all the flyers?
    Why not? They aren't her friends and they provide a shelter for the one she wants. Not that it will matter, but if you think about murder-suicides, since when does caring enough to let someone go free come into play? I just wish they learned the "kill yourself first" approach so no one else got directly hurt.

That's an awful lot of spell power to summon an "I'm sorry" card.
    You're confusing that with an "I'm PISSED" card. It happens, so she's going the extra distance to avoid confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Why does Jaclyn still work for Charlie? It's a miracle he manages to sell any magical security at all with her like this.
    Most of Charlie's clients probably are not as hot as Jillian?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Actually, I think it does fit. If Wanda is the puppet master, but with only a limited ability to manipulate Stanley, that would create a certain diffuseness of overall command.
    I guess the key point would be limited ability. Otherwise she would have been able to persuade his choices better. That makes sense as a theory then.

I think just a small spot -- note that the balcony floor
    Okay. So I take it she is just gathering power and no attack was made yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Maelore View Post
    And while I think the Archons are absolutely fetching in their current outfits, I wouldn't think that a loose flowing skirt would be the best choice for a flyer.
    They get a distraction bonus that adds +5 to their defense.
    Last edited by rosebud; 2008-05-02 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Remove redundancy

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

I'm 95% sure about these things:

1. A leader can disband troops at will.
    2. Troops have a variable loyalty stat, and thus can switch sides at will.
    3. An enemy leader doesn't necessarily accept converts, because he knows their loyalty to him is probably low.
    4. Troops don't necessarily convert often, because they know they can be instantly disbanded by their new boss.
    5. "Troops can't disobey" is not an actual rule, it's just one of those things that everyone in the Erfworld society takes for granted, because of #1.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Aggro, for the non-VRPGer...

Aggro (for Aggression or Aggravation) is a -usually- hidden stat that calculates how much a monster "hates" you. The number is checked by the AI to see which character it targets with it's attacks. "AGGRO" is what a tanker calls to his group to let the party know that they have the monster so pissed at them, that secondary attackers won't be noticed, and subsequently attacked. This is vital because some blaster style classes deal so much damage that a few fireballs or what have you could send a hulking boss monster right down their throats without the main tanker establishing good aggro first, so they wait for the AGGRO call. Usually.

This is also often combined with perception and social basics. For example, if you played a hated Iksar in Everquest, most things disliked your kind, so they would attack you at greater distances, political hatred playing into their aggro system. Distance of perception, and hence attack, is also called, at times, "aggro radius". A versatile, but overall simple concept
    Last edited by InfernalistGame; 2008-05-02 at 02:38 PM.
    360lb RTS/wargamer. Fantasy world of his own construction. Perfect Warlord summoning. One day...

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Three words: Wanda kicks butt.

This could totally turn the tide of the battle. With that kind of power, Wanda could probably annihilate half the flying troops, if not more. She could also cast a mind-control spell, but we've seen how those backfire and she probably doesn't want to do another one. I really hope we get to see Jillian punished for being such a fool and choosing Ansom over Wanda. Ansom is so much more controlling than Wanda will ever be, blasted superiority complex!
    私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
    Watashi no hobakurafuto wa unagi ippai desu.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    1) It's quite possible that Wanda didn't get the order (if no one thought to tell the catatonic caster)

2) Wanda may have decided that attacking was better for Stanley than not attacking. Given that she is a commander, she is compelled to work for his best interest (not Parson's). In fact, when confronted with Jillian's stated goal, she may no longer have had much choice.
    3) Wanda heard Jillian's threat to find Stanley and free her and, not knowing that Stanley has abandoned GK and seeing Jillian backed up with the bulk of her side's air power, reads that as an immediate attack. That is just a variant on 2, really, since Wanda has really good backup (the best available right now, actually) and so her odds are as good as they'll be.

4) This is the very, very hard way.

5) This is a negotiating tactic, a show of power, in much the same way that Jillian's forces are, and we're about to see some real tension--but not necessarily an outright assault, unless negotiations break down.

She may be outright disobeying an order because, as the person responsible for Parson's arrival, and given that he didn't quite come out as she'd hoped, she does not feel beholden to him in any particular way. This assumes that loyalty is a "hidden" stat because it's not really a stat in the way that, say, strength is, but relative to the individual person and the circumstance. She might even assume that Parson is not bold enough to have openly taken command of GK, including the throne and the sitch room, and risked being destroyed. As far as she's concerned, she's running the show now. Overtly. The presence of someone higher on the titular command chain has never meant that much to her anyway, except for the fact that it presents an occasional inconvenience.

At any rate, things just got really interesting really fast. This is Parson's Cuban Missile Crisis. It'll be interesting to see how he resolves it.

[Aside: Jaclyn certainly seems to be fearing the worst in her last panel.]
    Last edited by Wender; 2008-05-02 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added an aside

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Phrozt View Post
    She sleeps with him... apparently somewhat regularly. Now, we obviously learned that sometimes she does this to lead his mind somewhere else... but... she couldn't possibly... actually like him?

More than likely She is in some for of control and it is the Tool that has been a tool. Given how easy Parson found to play the tool, I am not surprised to find it was going on before Parson arrived. Sure she was not in full control as to be able to cast the summon spell without interference but she was able to get her way and have it cast in the first place. It was her idea and not the Stanley's.

So given she was not under a compulsion there are two possibilities, alliance with Stanley or superior position to Stanley. I doubt it was superior position, more likely it was alliance and the other actions are influence actions. Hmm, maybe there is political, spy, and other type influences at play. Parson might have missed that.

This also raises a question what is it like back in Faq? Does Wanda represent some remnants of Faq that are in allegiance with Stanley.

Parson was left in command and gave the order "do not engage". Again more supporting evidence for Wanda being only allied and not under command of Stanley.

I presume the flyers were able to move into the city without attacking as assumed rules
    1) except when in a square with other flying units, flying units ignore the standard rules of engagement (ie must attack unallied units in same square)
    2) normal ground units cannot engage flying units except as retaliatory strikes
    3) archers, casters and other ranged units may engage flying units in the same square if they choose

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maelore View Post
    And while I think the Archons are absolutely fetching in their current outfits, I wouldn't think that a loose flowing skirt would be the best choice for a flyer.
    It looks an awful lot like a poodle skirt (sans actual poodle...) as part of a grease costume for the dance fighting.

edit:
    with regard to the konami cheat code.. in the game that made it famous (Contra), select switched from one player mode to two player mode. So, she's adding an extra player.
    Last edited by zippthorne; 2008-05-02 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add stuff

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh? The "AYBABTU" balloon has a pointer to the point where the column of ZAP meets the floor (it may be a bit difficult to see at first glance given the light-colored background).

The panel doesn't have any clear scale cues, but in context it's apparently a section of the tower balcony floor (and thus not all that large).
    Except that the column has the molten-fire coloration. In the last panel, Wanda's staff is topped with that color, but the majority of the shaft is the same red it's always been.

Unless the fiery glow is travelling up and out of the staff, that can't be the Havoc Staff hitting the balcony.

EDIT: what I took to be the staff's magma coloration in the last panel looks now to be a corona of arcing power from Wanda's hand holding the staff, not the staff itself.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2008-05-02 at 03:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Except that the column has the molten-fire coloration. In the last panel, Wanda's staff is topped with that color, but the majority of the shaft is the same red it's always been.

Unless the fiery glow is travelling up and out of the staff, that can't be the Havoc Staff hitting the balcony.
    I think it is the staff. In the previous panel, she has both hands raised up, then she slams the bottom of the staff into the ground, summoning the energy, and in the final panel she is directing the energy (that had flowed up the staff) between her hands
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

I love the Doom reference. When I was a kid, I played that game so often I'd have dreams about it, and in those dreams I had a keyboard I'd always type the cheat codes in to be safe.
    Avatar has been edited (poorly) to reflect my new appearance.

(Note: ignore the previous statement if my avatar remains a Photobucket error message. If so, that is a poor approximation of my genuine appearance.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Essentially, when an enemy enters a hex, the opposing side is allowed to take action and attack... and that's what wanda is doing right now, just as Parson was considering fire at the fliers.
    In essence, an attack of opportunity?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wanda Says: Time to get some doom up ins.

I skipped a page, so maybe this was answered by wiser heads than mine, but... perhaps Wanda was released from whatever loyalty she was forced to hold for Stanley when Stanley broke off from Gobwin Knob and went to start up a new city?
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

1) Stanley- The Nearly Lost Plaid Tribe.
    2) Sizemore- The Nearly Lost Plaid Tribe
    3) Jillian- Claims No Tribe.
    4) Wanda- The Lost Croatan Tribe.

Wonderful what a look at the cast page can do for you. I think that based on the general appearence of Jillian and Wanda their tribes are different, with Jillian from FAQ and Wanda from the Croat Tribe.
    From comparison between Stanley and Sizemore we see that they have similar skin tones, whereas Wanda has a darker tan to Jillian, perhaps suggesting she is from another tribe or region. We know that the former lord of FAQ wanted a more stay at home, academic type heir... Maybe he found an adopted daughter in Wanda, and lived to regret it...

Then, It could be a number of things- Maybe the "Magic Kingdom" is where ALL Casters pop to start off with, and then at a later date they are recruited by a side and pop from the Kingdom to their new sides city?? Unlikely, but a possibility which would allow rulers a better look at their soon to be caster before they pop.
    You've just been Warshruck.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Realm_of...ex.php?act=idx
    You there. Yes you, the person reading my signature. Go to this website. Do it now. It's a small roleplaying website which was first based on Warhammer, but now contains a hell of a lot of Homebrews. You should join them. Join them now.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wonderful what a look at the cast page can do for you. I think that based on the general appearence of Jillian and Wanda their tribes are different, with Jillian from FAQ and Wanda from the Croat Tribe.
    From comparison between Stanley and Sizemore we see that they have similar skin tones, whereas Wanda has a darker tan to Jillian, perhaps suggesting she is from another tribe or region. We know that the former lord of FAQ wanted a more stay at home, academic type heir... Maybe he found an adopted daughter in Wanda, and lived to regret it...

Then, It could be a number of things- Maybe the "Magic Kingdom" is where ALL Casters pop to start off with, and then at a later date they are recruited by a side and pop from the Kingdom to their new sides city?? Unlikely, but a possibility which would allow rulers a better look at their soon to be caster before they pop.

Edit; Oh, And I forgot to mention- Two Player Cheat, Aggro... Perhaps Jillian was just locked into a Duel with Wanda...
    You've just been Warshruck.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Realm_of...ex.php?act=idx
    You there. Yes you, the person reading my signature. Go to this website. Do it now. It's a small roleplaying website which was first based on Warhammer, but now contains a hell of a lot of Homebrews. You should join them. Join them now.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

You know, she wasn't so angry until Jillian started talking about 'saving' her. (She was even willing to ask what Jillian wanted.)
    She's a Domme scorned. To me, it felt as though she was seething with barely restrained rage since showing up in comic 104.

There are two powerful emotions for her right now:
    a) willingness to understand and accept that there's nothing you can do,
    b) overwhelming, wrathful hatred.
    They're quite traumatic to entertain together (likely leading to he coma-like state). It looks as though she came to the conclusion that she wanted to know why she was betrayed, satisfying the last of her concerns about giving up on her willingness to understand.

Now she's wrath incarnate. She's probably not thinking now outside of putting all of her mental and magical resources into calculating a plan of short-term destruction of what has sleighted her so gravely.

"AGGRO!" seems to suggest that it's a battle to the death. If she can overcome them, then she's likely planning on slaughtering them all. If she can't, she may be fighting to her own death- likely targetting what she hates the most before then, taking them with her.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

You know, she wasn't so angry until Jillian started talking about 'saving' her. (She was even willing to ask what Jillian wanted.)
    She's a Domme scorned. To me, it felt as though she was seething with barely restrained rage since showing up in comic 104.

There are two powerful emotions for her right now:
    a) willingness to understand and accept that there's nothing you can do,
    b) overwhelming, wrathful hatred.
    They're quite traumatic to entertain together (likely leading to he coma-like state). It looks as though she came to the conclusion that she wanted to know why she was betrayed, satisfying the last of her concerns about giving up on her willingness to understand.

Now she's wrath incarnate. She's probably not thinking now outside of putting all of her mental and magical resources into calculating a plan of short-term destruction of what has sleighted her so gravely.

"AGGRO!" seems to suggest that it's a battle to the death. If she can overcome them, then she's likely planning on slaughtering them all. If she can't, she may be fighting to her own death- likely targetting what she hates the most before then, taking them with her.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Halfling in the Playground

So... HOT. Mmmm....!

Is it bad that I played most of those games but never bothered with cheat codes? Or is this where I crow my moral and gaming superiority?

Wanda... Skeletor? Ehh. I'm seeing the continuation of the KISS theme, maybe some "Heavy Metal"... anyhow - HOLY SCHNIKE that's hot.

:)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I hope this doesn't turn into some deus ex machina where Wanda has a ridiculous amount of power and the bad guys were, in fact, never in danger at all!
    Of course not! If that were the case, than her hair would have turned blonde. Duh.
    Kinda like Dominic Deegan, that awful awful webcomic eh? lol

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warshrike View Post

Or, you know, FAQ could be the home of the Croatan tribe. Tribe names don't have to have anything to do with city / nation names, or even with what a faction is usually called (how often have we heard anyone say anything about "the plaid tribe" in text? I'm not sure it's been mentioned at all.)

The fact that Jillian has "claims no tribe" strongly suggests to me that she'd claim Plaid if she any, and that it was left blank to avoid revealing that she was from the same tribe as Wanda.

(Also, look at Faq's architecture, and the way people there dressed -- it's the only Eastern-themed city we've seen so far, while Wanda is the classic Eastern Dragon Lady. The one who doesn't fit Faq is Jillian, not Wanda, which fits with what we've been told about Jillian's background and her conflicts with her father. Wanda looks exactly like you'd expect someone from Faq to look, from the little we've seen.)

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    So, ignoring the cheat codes or other spell components in games I haven't dealt with, I'm confused over the loyalty issue.

In her meeting with the Tool, she refused an order but said she was permitted because of a higher requirement in keeping him alive. Now, true, this does not imply she was under control or loyalty and it could have been fancy wordplay, but there still seemed to be a sense of control. So which is it, or are both, or neither operative? (Where neither means she is/was the one in control of the coup and leading Stanley. Except that doesn't quite fit since things were a tactical mess leading up to the battle of Gobwin Knob.)

And where is the energy/spell bolt hitting? Where she is standing, or a wider area?

Jillian's view is adorable, though. Both her view and her sword approach to life.
    My guess?

- I think the loyalty/obedience spell thing is crap. I think it's part of the "Titan's Mandate to Rule" myth that's perpetrated by the monarchical culture of Erfworld.

Most Erfworld peoples seem to automatically assume that there is a hidden "magical" world order to things. In strategy games, units under your command have no apparent free will, and we don't really question this since it makes the game work. The difference here is that the "players" are usually royalty or assorted warlords (with Stanley having messianic delusions).

In any case, Erfworld people don't *get* loyalty, obedience or free will. It has no stats. It's in the realm of philosophy. And most of that is given over to some very petty theology.

- Wanda doesn't really respect Stanley. She caught on pretty quick that Parson's dubbing Stanely "The Tool," was actually an insult. She was also the first to teach Parson about how to manipulate Stanley.

- So one might think that Wanda enjoys manipulating Stanley for her own ends. Stanley abandoned her though, so that's questionable. (Whether she knows Stanley abandoned her is unknown.)

- Another possibility is that she might have developed some loyalty to Parson. But that seems like a *bit* of stretch.

- A good possibility is that she just wants to destroy the thing she can no longer control. Jillian breaking free and asserting herself is a pretty big slap to her world view.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2008-05-02 at 09:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

From wikipedia: Hate, aggro, or threat are slang terms for the internal measures in MMORPGs that determine whether a non-playing character (NPC) will attack a playing character (PC)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBrowncoat View Post
    I think it is the staff. In the previous panel, she has both hands raised up, then she slams the bottom of the staff into the ground, summoning the energy, and in the final panel she is directing the energy (that had flowed up the staff) between her hands
    Ah, I'd missed the change in positions, from raised to grounded. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

I still like the Ring of Conflict idea. Put it on, watch the Archons and Unipegataurs and such fight each other. Try not to see the Gobwins and Twolls having it out on the battlements as well.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Looking at the third panel, a thought struck.

What if:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Croakamancers can cast spells to control several types of uncroaked.
    • Vinnie and/or his units are types of uncroaked.

In addition (getting into wild speculation):
    • Units thus controlled in combat can be made to join the casters' stack (and thus gain combat bonuses).

Spoiler tags added for "just-in-case" reasons.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why is Jaclyn so upset, in advance of the actual casting? Here's another random theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What if all casters are under loyalty spells to obey their lords (at least the ones outside of the Magic Kingdom)? That would make sense, if otherwise they can cast and such even on their rulers (as some have speculated about Stanley). Otherwise, who could ever trust Thinkamancers and the like? Then Wanda not being under a spell could be alarming.

What if, furthermore, those loyalty spells limit the abilities of casters, to make them easier to control? Then not being under one could also allow Wanda access to unprecedented power (and could also explain why Stanley hadn't worried about the spell, if he knew how things worked at all). Jillian and the others may be in for more trouble than they imagined possible from a single caster.

To go even further out on a limb, this could be a possible exploit for Parson. Free the casters, gain incredible power! Just hope they don't turn on you. Maybe if you had an Arkentool to control them without limiting their power...
    Last edited by fractal; 2008-05-03 at 02:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almeric View Post
    Looking at the third panel, a thought struck.

What if:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Croakamancers can cast spells to control several types of uncroaked.
    • Vinnie and/or his units are types of uncroaked.

In addition (getting into wild speculation):
    • Units thus controlled in combat can be made to join the casters' stack (and thus gain combat bonuses).

Spoiler tags added for "just-in-case" reasons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i was thinking something similar... though i was thinking she'd take control of him but hide it until the fliers went into battle against Stanely... THEN she triggers the control over him and forces him to attack his allies

Quote Originally Posted by fractal
    Why is Jaclyn so upset, in advance of the actual casting?
    I think she's really just scared about how this is coming down... Jaclyn seems to have grown a bit attached to Jillian and is watching out for her. Its very likely she told the archons and Vinnie about why they were passing by Gobwinknob; to visit a friend of her's that's trapped under a loyatly spell to Stanely... Jillian may have reassured them that wanda was really good, and that she can resist Stanely's control enough that she would not attack them; kind like how Wanda though Jillian wouldn't attack those dwagons... However, Jaclyn sees that Wanda is under no such spell and that she is on Stanely's side at her own free will; combine that with the fact that Wanda is pissed off and you got a high chance of a caster attack. Jillian thinks she's talking to a victim, but Jaclyn knows that Jillian's actually talking to an enemy; and that means trouble

it's also possible that Jaclyn could also be looking at this all even a bit deeper... realizing that since Wanda is doing all of this by choice, what Jillian is saying could come off as seriously damaging and insulting (saying that wanda MUST be under some kind of mindcontrol to do these things is very insulting to wanda's choices)... that would hurt the relationship between Jillian and Wanda, and Jaclyn was trying to stop Jillian from saying something she would regret
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-05-03 at 05:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

From wikipedia: Hate, aggro, or threat are slang terms for the internal measures in MMORPGs that determine whether a non-playing character (NPC) will attack a playing character (PC)
    Aggro is a perfectly normal English slang word that can be used in any number of situations...it's short for "aggravation". There is absolutely no reason why the specific MMO meaning should be the one Wanda means when she says it.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Aggro is a perfectly normal English slang word that can be used in any number of situations...it's short for "aggravation". There is absolutely no reason why the specific MMO meaning should be the one Wanda means when she says it.
    I have never heard the particular slang 'aggro' outside of a MMORPG context (I figured it was short for aggression). A little research and I see it being described as surfer slang and 60's British slang as well.

Considering the setting of the comic, and the 'incantations' Wanda was just intoning, it seems obvious to me that this a game-inspired utilization of the term.