New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Event Horizon I (IC)

Niathus and Jon

Niathus looks down to where Reardan is pointing. "I see it... but I can't read it at this angle." He then looks over to where Hank's hand rests on the handle, considers for a moment, then looks over at Jon. Jon looks at Hank and says, "Yeah, go for it."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Henry Klate

All right, brace yourselves... With that warning, Hank pulls the mechanism.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

DM

The handle pulls completely free of the wall, and taking a look at it reveals it to be a rather large and clunky key. With the handle removed, a portion of the wall (5 feet by 30 feet, making a vertical column-shaped space) dissolves into a liquid-like state and falls/flows down and out of sight. What is left in the space it leaves is a ladder, leading down to a cluster of pipes much closer to the words below.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the purpose of speeding things up...

The party travels down the ladder, and stands on the pipe cluster near the wording. The wording is now visible to everyone, and reads:

A key have you,
    but you need two,
    and only one can be found.
    A problem this,
    you cannot miss,
    and you must take it around.
    So place it there,
    and place it where,
    you see a key, yet no ground.
    A chain you'll break,
    make no mistake,
    You'll hear a grand note resound.

"What is it about SAAOS and riddles?" Jon complains. "An instruction manual would have been better."

"An instruction manual would let anyone in," Niathus counters. "Besides, it's not all that hard - I think. Anyone have any ideas?"

DM

The group is standing 30 feet down from where they were, on a broad cluster of piping intersecting in 4 directions, although the piping is curving to match the contours of the wall. The curving pipe is corkscrewing, as well, such that the piping leading east is going up over time, and the piping heading west is going down. The piping heading inwards remains level, and is soon lost in a maze of similar piping - in fact, it looks almost impassable. To the south is the gentle curve of the rock wall - and of course, the ladder.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reardan

Reardan stares at the writing, running his hand over his chin in thought. After a few moments, he points up at the chained lever that none could reach.

Could that be the second key? There's definitely no ground up there, and we all saw that chain. Maybe we could somehow get this key up there, and see what happens.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: Is it possible that Reardan has continued concentrating on his Mage Hand all this time? I stipulated that he would maintain concentration when he first cast the spell, and it only requires (I believe) a standard action to do so. However, if it's your ruling that the activity between then and now would prevent concentration, I'll happily abide by your ruling. If that is the case, someone else will have to do any levitation duties, as I'm all out of Mage Hand for the day.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Sin

"I'm pretty sure that this riddle isn't one of the keys. It says right here that only one can be found, which implies the other has to be made or something like that. As we already have one according to this and I do think the other is that lever up there, that must mean we have to make it. Magic, both divine and arcane, from my understanding really isn't made in any sense of the form just manipulated. Music on the other hand is made. Turning his attention to Jon, "I suppose you will have more information on this than I, as it was you that said something about two musicians and a counter melody when you talked me into this.

"In either case, we still have to get to that chain, and I don't know why but I have a feeling that this lever of ours has something to do with this, whatever it is, you mage types are seeing. I don't suppose you to can see a place where one might be able to get above this thing would you?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Niathus and Jon

Jon chuckles at your statement. "What I told you about was for when we were actually at the Keynote. I honestly just thought we'd be crawling over pipes all the way there."

Niathus looks at Sin. "The only way I could see to climb up to the lever involved sticking to the wall like a spider - which is a kind of magic I didn't prepare today - or standing on the conduit, which would likely kill you."

Jon digs around in his pack. "I may have enough climbing gear and rope here to get above the lever and climb down, but not enough for all of us to do so. Here is what I propose: Niathus and I find a way to get to the lever, two of you head up and east, the other two go down and west. We stay sharp and look for anything of use, and we're bound to come up with something." With that, he begins ascending the ladder. When the group looks at Niathus, he just shrugs and follows Jon.

DM

OOC Reardan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reardan may have been able to maintain concentration, but he almost certainly will run out of duration before he needs to use the mage hand again.

If anyone has an objection to Jon's plan, speak now or hold your peace for some time, if not forever.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-12 at 09:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reardan

Reardan shrugs again before starting off toward the west, looking carefully ahead of him for anything of interest.

I'll head down and west. Anyone care to join me? Someone with tougher skin, perhaps?

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case, here are some rolls:

Spot: (1d20+4)[7]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[22]
    Search: (1d20+4)[6]
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

DM

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The checks are a bit premature, but everyone can make them and I'll use them at some point.