Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Circus Style! IC

OOC Thread; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79548

Circus Style!
    Lets go!
    IC;

Recently things havee been good for The Travelling Circus (The name recognised across the plane for the famous circus!), Performances have been going well, the food has been good and The money is flowing!
    Its morning and the previous night the circus stopped and camped in a meadow for a night of relaxtion on the way to the next show, you all slept well and woke up to brilliant sunshine and the start of a nice hot day. As you pack away your tents word starts to spread that Araceae Spathi has called a meeting for everyone to attend just after breakfast outside his caravan, breakfast was good and after the hearty meal everyone starts to assemble outside the Circus leaders caravan.
    After a few moments the little gnome steps out of his caravan and begins to address everyone, it seems that his mind is all over the place; Hello! Well yes! So I belive I called this meeting and you arn't here by chance? Well it wouldn't be chance we do live together but uhh I digress. Well I called a meeting because I do believe I like to keep you all informed of what exactly we are up to! I have recently been in contact with the high council of Panthera, The largest city in this plane, and we have been asked to perform there for the first time in 201 years 3 months and 1 day, naturally I have said yes as this will only help our fortunes and I believe many of you have not been there before so you can take in the sights and sounds and perhaps become a little wiser! Though I remember if you happen to go to the slum district, which you might, don't buy anything off shady people, I once bought a lovely pair of gloves there which I couldn't take off for 2 weeks! Actually I might have them round here somewhere.... The gnome seems to drift off for a moment before suddenly remembering he was calling a meeting; Ahem! Sorry about that! So I have arranged with The high council of Panthera that we shall perform 5 different shows in Panthera in different districts of the city. However we are going to be passing through 1 more city before we get there so I must ask you all to stay patient! Ok Lets be off then! I have allocated the guard for the caravans, sadly a must in this day and age, on my caravan I would like the following; Ava, Dobnock, Duurjeik, Femmorah, Gronkh Mcmanus and Trugnuk! On the chef's Caravan I would like the following; Trent, Girrole.... You lose attention as you realise your name has been called, you look for your friends who you will be riding the caravan with and wait for everyone to disperse so you may climb aboard with Araceae Spathi.

OOC; Introductions and hellos and what-nots!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Circus Style! IC

Duurjeik

The dwarf stumps over to Spathi's wagon where he stands, waiting for the others assigned to guard duty to make their way over. He is dressed in loose brown breaches and a dark green wrap around his torso, several bags are strung over his shoulders and back; various tattoos in many colors cover much of his exposed skin.
    Silently, he goes over the names in his head. He knew the boxer and giant by sight but he couldn't place the rest, and hadn't spoken more than casual greetings with any of them.

As Duurjeik waits for the others to come over, he fingers the bone pendant around his neck and reviews this new turn of events. Performing in Panthera would be an eye opening experience indeed; perhaps he could acquire new species of magical beasts for the circus, the animal acts had been growing a bit repetitive recently...
    silver

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Nodding slowly, the half-giant slips gratefully away from yet another of Spathi's special "morning after my special delivery arrived last night" meetings.

Huh. Maybe I can go over the timing of the routine with Dobnock tonight. With this many of us on guard, wouldn't be too hard to slip away...no. Spathi's got his quirks, but if he's put this many of us on to night watch, he's expecting something. Better go get Father and Mother.

Trotting back to the tent he shares, Trugnuk slips a quarrel over one shoulder, and a almost-comically large crossbow over the other. He slips the greatsword - nearly 10' long, and gleaming, unadorned blue - free from the rope holding it against the tentpole. Resting it carefully onto his shoulder, Trugnuk turned slowly and headed out into the day. He enjoyed the bustle of a good travel day, although wasn't TOO unhappy that the guard duty would get him out of most of the duties around breaking camp.

Approaching the lead caravan, he saw the trainer, Duurjeik, already there. Please, dear Kord, let the dwarf not have brought any of his snakes with him. Trugnuk smiles at the dwarf as he approaches.

Pethora! Imagine that, eh? Guess Spathi figures we're ready, and who'm I to play guessing games with him? Whoo-ey. Stories I heard - towers going up so high you fall on your ass trying to see the top.

He settles at the front of the wagon, sitting delicately and hearing the familiar creak of the wood. Trugnuk plants the tip of the sword in the dirt nearby, so that it's within easy reach, and settles the crossbow behind him in the wagon. He gestures to the sword and grins at Duurjeik.

Mother wanted some air.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-05-05 at 12:14 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dobnock

The dwarf and the half-giant doesn't have to wait long, before they are joined by a small person. This person, obviously a gnome, is small even as gnomes go, yet not very likely to be overlooked, as he is dressed in colourful clothing, which immediately grabs the eye. His face is pleasant and friendly, but he carries the longsword at his waist in a manner clearly stating that this gnome is no novice to combat.

Dobnock greets them with a smile, and before they have had the chance to greet him back, begins to talk. He seems very excited, and is talking really fast. Despite this, you have no problems understanding what is saying, as his words are clear as crystal. He obviously have a good mastery of his tongue.

So, Panthera! What a marvelous opportunity! If we impress the high counsil, we'll be even more famous! Think of the masses that would flock to the cirkus!

And think of the opportunities in the city! Maybe I could aqquire some new ingredients for my lab. That would be delightful.

5. - Top - End - #5

Grönkh

Grönkh heads directly for Spathi's caravan, intrigued that he's posted so many guards. He notes that at least some of the others are feeling the same way, because the giant, sitting casually on the wagon, has got a huge sword planted in the ground next to him.

Grönkh is wearing simple, loose, gray robes, with wide sleeves, and his pants are also wide and baggy, whipping around his legs as he moves. He is bald, with dark skin, and his ample, dark beard is neatly pulled together near the bottom by a small golden hoop.

Carefully avoiding the gnome and his tirade, Grönkh slips between the others and hops up to stand on the edge of the cart, so his head is nearly at the same level as Trugnuk's.

So, 're we expectin' trouble today? Mr. Spathi's posted an orful lotta guards, for a wee jaunt across the countryside. Ach, in any event, Ah could do w' some trainin', Ah haven't been in a gud brawl in ages! Doing a couple of quick stretches, he looks to the others for their thoughts.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Raising both hands in surrender, Trugnuk laughs.

I'd help you out Grönkh, but you know Spathi doesn't like me wrestling without a paying crowd around. But maybe one of Duurjiek's pets needs taming. Still, it's good to have you with us.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #7

Grönkh

Grönkh slaps Trugnuk on the back, and takes a seat beside him.

But really, what're the rest of ye plannin' on doin' once we git t' tha citeh? Other than this one, (gesturing to Dobnock) who appears t' be plannin' t' talk fer th'entire time we're in town?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Duurjeik
    Duurjeik bows his greeting to each newcomer. Prrocurring new species forr ourr act. Pantherra is rumorred to have many magical beasts. He says, in response to Grönkhs's question.

Perrhaps I can acquirre an animal companion for myself while we'rre therre. He adds silently; there wasn't any need to bother the others with is private goals.
    silver

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Ava

From above the wagon, you can hear Ava's voice: Heya heya! Am I late for the chatter ? She jumps down from the wagon. You can see that she has a dark blonde hair and light brown eyes. She is dressed in common adventuring outfit, with a bag attached to her belt and a sword on her back.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Trugnuk gestures to the sword on Ava's back.

Ah! Another of us comes loaded for bear.

He glances briefly and sheepishly at Duurjeik.

Uh. No offense.

No, Ava, we've just been jawing. And I suspect that Dobnock's just getting warmed up, so if you've got anything to say, either say it soon, or write it down so you don't forget it.

Some guards we are. Didn't even hear her climb up onto the top of the wagon.

Trugnuk leans forward in the wagon, scanning the surrounding territory.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Dobnock

Dobnock greets each newcomer with a nod, talking just as fast.

But of course, we need to plan the shows! 5 different shows in 5 different parts of the city, unless I am incorrect, and I rarely am. We should really come up with something special, if we pull this off, the possibilities are endless!

As for me, I can Juggle, and I can talk. Maybe entertain the audience with some stories or something. And I've got my illusions! There must be possible to find some use for them! Oh, and if you need any kind of alchemical substances, don't forget to ask, I can make all sorts of special effects, like smoke and fire!

Nearly shouting the last word, Dobnock actually shuts his mouth, in order to let the others enter the conversation. (Allthough so far, monologue might be a more fitting word.)
    If you can't beat em, get someone else to do it for you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

As you talk away the minutes whilst everyone else gets ready another approaches you, a halfling, and introduces herself as Femorrah. Araceae jumps up onto the wagon and grabs the reigns of the 2 horses attached, he barey touches the rope or says anything before you the caravan moves off at a slow but steady pace. Ooooih! Come one come all, we've got shows to do! Shouts Araceae as the caravan moves off causing some of you to jump on; Now keep a keen ear out I've seen many fun and odd things in these parts before, I remember when I was a wee lad and my Uncle ran the circus, we came through here and he said "Boy, you watch out I've seen fun and odd things in these parts before now" just as we got attacked by an incredibly old mage with a golem called saffron... The gnome chuckles away to himself lost in memory.
    Looking at the varying scenery around you can see miles upon miles rolling flats with interspersed bits of forests and meadows, you are follwing a well worn road through the meadows, in the distance you can see a herd of deer though you are heading away from them.

OOC; Sorry Tura, I just wanted to move things along! I hope you don't mind! You didn't miss much!

Also guys could I get a spot check and listen check from each of you for the journey.

13. - Top - End - #13

Sure:
    Spot: (1d20+2)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[19]

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Trugnuk shifts over to make room for the boss in the front of the wagon. He turns to nod to Femorrah, thereby missing the gnome picking up the wagonn's traces. As Araceae starts up the wagon, Trugnuk reaches over to snatch up his sword as they pull away, and slips it in behind the driver seat.

He settles back to try to enjoy the ride, he takes a chance. Sometimes, asking Araceae a question about the future lead to a twenty-minute shaggy dog story, sometimes a sharp rebuke. But...what did he really have to lose.

So, you expecting trouble, boss? S'a lot of guards for lead caravan. You want I should keep Father loaded?

He reaches back to pat the big crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+2)[5]
    Listen: (1d20+2)[22]

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Ava

Why would anyone attack a circus caravan in the first place? We dont have valuables, except for animals maybe...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+1)[9]
    Listen: [roll1d20+1[/roll] http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=21
    Last edited by Bayar; 2008-05-07 at 02:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Araceae looks at Trugnuk and then Ava; You've both asked the same question! How remarkable! Why I'm impressed you should worry about our safety! Well to be honest, which I am by all rights, I'm not too worried but its nice to be careful these days, I remember once I wasn't careful when on the move and that ended up in me having to climb down a rather large toilet to escape.... It was a really hot summer, much like the we are having now and I was travelling in the mountains when I stumbled upon a giant's home, Anyway he found me and tried to keep me as pet! Anyway I managed to get out the cage he put me in and had to lcimb into his ces pit, so in response to your question,you needn't keep your father loaded but make sure your mother is close by! And why would anyone rob a circus? For money and animals and food! I suppose a rival circus would do it! Araceae chuckles a bit then asks; Well now, its nearly time my mid morning snack, food anyone? Drink?
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-05-07 at 04:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, nothing is more confusing than a hypoglycemic gnome.

Smiling faintly, and happy just to have gotten out alive at the arse end of his story, Trugnug shakes his head slightly, declining more food at this time, and offers with a gesture to take the reins.

18. - Top - End - #18

Duurjeikj

Duurjeik pulls himself up on the wagon as it starts to move. He sits quietly behind the rest and soaks up every word that is spoken, while still keeping his senses alert for danger.
    It does seem strange that someone would attack our circus, perhaps Spathi has personal enemies?

Duurjeik smiles slightly at Ava's remark. Forrgive me, but anyone trrying to take ourrr animals would encounterrr more difficulty than they barrgained for.

Duurjeik declines the frenetic gnome's offer of food and now directs his attention to the horses; looking for signs of tiredness or injuries.

Spoiler
    Show

(d20+5)[25] Spot
    (d20+5)[25] Listen
    Edit: OOC ((Did I just roll two natural 20s??))
    Last edited by TRM; 2008-05-07 at 09:49 AM.
    silver

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Dobnock

Dobnock happily accept the offer for food, and immediately begin to eat. His excitement seems to have dropped a bit since he got the thriling news, and at the moment, he is rather silent, occupied with the food.

[roll]1d20+2[/roll] Listen
    [roll]1d20+2[/roll] Spot

Edit: The cursed dice wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Newhill; 2008-05-07 at 04:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

SwashbucklerGuy

Remember something about not being able to edit die rolls, so:

[roll0] Listen
    [roll1] Spot

If this doesn't work either, help is greatly appreciated.

21. - Top - End - #21

Grönkh gladly takes some light food to snack on. He alternately rides and walks beside the wagon to keep himself limber.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    newhill, I have no idea why your rolls aren't working. what you posted the first time looks exactly right. Try putting each roll on its own line, exactly like the first time, and don't put anything else on the line with either of the rolls. That's my best guess?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Newhill:

Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like you added in the rolls in an edit of your post. Try again, but don't copy and paste the text of your previous post (which is what I think happened below). Retype the formulas as you have them.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-05-07 at 08:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

@Newhill:
    Spoiler
    Show
    and dont preview posts with rolls in them.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

(1d20+2)[9] Listen
    (1d20)[15] Spot

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

You travel for several hours and see nor hear no sign of any impedending danger. Eating Araceae's very nice food fills you up pretty quickly and enjoy the ride on the caravan. Araceae occoasionally hums to himself to enjoy the ride. At one point he looks at the sky and says; What do you think is up there? Do you think we are watched over? Watched while we perform? Do our daily tasks? I suppose it doesn't atter we would do them all anyway... The gnome trails off into silence....
    Eventually the afternoon begins to end and you enter a woodland which the road follows through, this woodland is very thickly wooded and the night is beggining to get dark.
    Upon entering the wood the road reaches a bend and the caravan trail must slow to go round it.

Duurjeik
    Spoiler
    Show

You see a human, a half orc and a gnome creeping round in the bushes by the bend. The Half orc is loading an arrow to his bow.

Dobnock
    Spoiler
    Show

You see 3 figures in the woods, one is much smaller than the other two, they are obviously trying to hide.

Trugnuk
    Spoiler
    Show

You see nothing in the woods by the corner but you hear more than one thing moving around

Gronkh
    Spoiler
    Show

You see 3 humanoids moving round in the trees on the bend obviously trying to hide. One is much smaller than the others

Ava
    Spoiler
    Show

You see and hear nothing, everything seems pretty normal to you.

Femorrah
    Spoiler
    Show

You see 3 humanoids moving round in the trees trying not to be seen.
    OOC; I rolled this one for you!
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2008-05-08 at 05:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Grönkh

Grönkh taps whoever is next to him* lightly, and mutters (gesturing towards the woods): D'ye see tha'? Somethin's sneakin' around over in the trees!

*who he is standing next to, numbered in the same order as the above post:
    (1d5)[4]

EDIT: Ava
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-05-08 at 07:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Trugnuk

Trugnuk lays a quiet hand on Araceae's knee, and gestures over where he heard noises. He says nothing, trying to be subtle. However...

There is no subtle way to pull out a five foot long crossbow. Trugnuk reaches back to pick Father up. He braces it against the floor of the wagon, and loads a massive bolt.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Araceae nods to trugnuk, Hmm Yes, I noticed them too, I think they just be bandits, who knows? It's a shame people turn to that life really, still I'll let you lot deal with it as you see fit, you wish to slow down the caravan?

29. - Top - End - #29

Duurjeik

Duurjeik attempts to be subtle as he bends down and whispers in Sathi's ear: Thrree of them, arrmed. Please slow the carravan so we can deal with them.

Then, making no attempt at subtlety, he reaches into his many pouches and begins readying spell components.

Duurjeik turns to Trugnuk Ask yourr Fatherr to speak to the larrgest one firrst, they'rre the ones that always seem to cause trr'uble.
    silver

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Femorrah

The halfling looks carefully at the three hidden figures. Fiddling with her javelin, Femorrah whispers to the others. "Well, if this is an ambush, it's a very poor one, unless there are more of them around." A born optimist, she adds, grinning "I bet we'll put them off guard if we invite them for a cup of tea."

Spoiler
    Show
    How far are they, exactly?
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-05-09 at 10:53 AM.