New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Recurring threads,

It seems organ harvesting has been banned, and I'm not here to dispute that. What I am here to request is that the mods actually do something about the root of the problem.

I think most people who participated will agree that the actual problem could be at least alleviated (it will never be remove alltogether) with a simple UPDATED recurring topics thread.
    We already have one: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6496
    But its not updated with new topics. Obviously it has the V gender debate, and the definitive belkar alignment, but completely lacks other recurring topics, notibly the MITD and 4E topics. On yet another note, the topic is locked, making it impossible for forum go-ers to help keep it up to date. I hate to complain about mods, (I know, its a thankless job, I've been an admin before) but if you aren't going to continue to keep the thread perfectly up to date, at least allow users to take a stab at it.

I hope that my complaints will not fall on deaf ears.

*points out the belkar is neutral good before running off*
    Founder of the avatar haters fanclub.

The Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:
    6*9=42
    The Eternal Question:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Recurring threads,

The only problem is, you're making the basic mistake of assuming that newbies actually read the sticky threads or the FAQ before posting. They don't, believe me; I'm a moderator on another forum, and you could quite happily put the Ts & Cs in ten-foot-high letters at the top of the screen and new users would still quite happily ignore them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to agree with factotum on this one. Being a mod myself, I know you can put up N stickies(where N is a big number) and new people will very rarely read them.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The only problem is, you're making the basic mistake of assuming that newbies actually read the sticky threads or the FAQ before posting. They don't, believe me; I'm a moderator on another forum, and you could quite happily put the Ts & Cs in ten-foot-high letters at the top of the screen and new users would still quite happily ignore them.
    Agree. Done, and lost in the long way. After one year I resigned from moderation, because I was starting to bash people in a mean way.

Laurentio

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Even if new posters don't see the stickied threads, it'd be nice have an updated list of what the official active discussion threads are for all the common topics so the regulars know where to direct people.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really wish the mods would do something about all these recurring threads about the recurring threads.

Seriously, posting thread after thread about how there's too many redundant threads has to be the best example of "moronic."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think there's an excessive amount of the threads. I come by every few days, and there's only half a page of new posts.

It's a bit elitest to demand that people not ask questions about the comic in the forum made to advertise the comic. If there isnt' a post on the first page, let them ask thier question.

While it is stupid when people ask questions that can be answered by reading more of the strip, (you know, the ones who say "OMG, who could this blue cloaked assasin stalking them be?) you can't expect newcomers to just shut up and not offer thier opinions on V's gender, the MitD, or whathaveyou. If they revive an old thread, they get yelled at, if they start a new one they get yelled at.

As long as it's not spam and not duplicating a thread on the same page, just get off your high horse and ignore it. As I said, I have yet to see these threads taking over the front page.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I've gotta admit... i also don't read the stickies *cough* Mainly because rules about behavior and stuff is always the same... And often they are just too long.
    The only thing, which might work is making the actual threads to the most discussed things sticky, so they can see, there is one already (even if there are people out there opening a 'V's gender' thread with the other on the top of the top page already... Though, might be of use.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Interesting enough; this thread's topic has been brought up multiple times before in this sub-forum alone.

In other words, this thread about recurring threads is a recurring thread itself!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: With a board this large and this fast-paced, it's unlikely anyone on staff has the time to create and maintain an index of active threads or that any such index would be 1) able to be kept current and 2) read by the people it would most help.

The proper method of cutting down on recurring threads is to make sure there aren't duplicative threads. If you see a thread on a topic for which there is already an active thread, please report it and it'll be merged or redirected.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex